Love entering Ward II race

Demetrius Love

Demetrius Love

ALBANY, Ga. — The marketing chief for Albany State University is stepping into the Ward II city commission race and will make his official announcement May 24.

Demetrius Love, the executive director of Marketing for ASU, will challenge Rev. Ivey Hines, the incumbent commissioner in the November general election, he says.

Love is running on the promise to inform, engage and represent the residents of Ward II, which spans a portion of the northern boundary of east Albany over into the avenues just north of Downtown, according to his campaign Facebook page.

Hines is completing his first term in office.

Love joins medical transport specialist Bobby Coleman in announcing his intent to run for the Ward II seat. Coleman made his intentions public on April 26.

In other races, local businesswoman B.J. Fletcher has announced her intentions to unseat Ward III Commissioner Christopher Pike.

Comments

Doc15 11 months, 1 week ago

It is no secret that Love and Christopher Pike are good friends. They hang out together, a part of the same fraternity, and club together. This may be another Pike. Will not go there again.

Ga79 11 months, 1 week ago

That is irrelevant! You have judged this man before knowing what he stands for.

B4it 11 months, 1 week ago

The marketing chief for Albany State University is stepping into the District 2 City Commissioner race. From what I have observed coming out of ASU, we do not need another high level City decision maker coming from this corrupted culture.

Sister_Ruby_Two 11 months, 1 week ago

"Show some Love"...........where had we heard that before?

FryarTuk 11 months, 1 week ago

If Climbing Ivy changed his vote on WG&L he might save his arse if he wants to be re-elected.

Sister_Ruby_Two 11 months, 1 week ago

Why him vs Hines? They are both _____.

VSU 11 months ago

Be quiet blubbersmith, it's not polite to talk with your mouth full...especially filled with BS.

bubbasmithredneck 11 months ago

Be quiet VOMIT STATE UNIVERSITY......everything you say is VOMIT

Ga79 11 months ago

The previous comments are very ignorant and irrelevant. You all have judged Mr. Love based on association and his place of employment. VOTE according to facts and not assumptions! He has my vote!

RedEric 11 months ago

It seems to me that his associates and his place of employment should enter into our evaluation of him.

Sister_Ruby_Two 11 months ago

In other words, vote on what people say, not what they actually do day in and day out.

B4it 11 months ago

Ga79... it is a FACT there is a cloud of suspicion over the heads of those who come out of the racially corrupt ASU environment.

Abytaxpayer 11 months ago

So why is it ignorant or irrelevant to judge one by his associates? Birds of a feather do flock together! Like minds think alike! A zebra can’t change his stripes. So just how is Piker’s BFF any better than the smooth tongue Piker? But that is the Albany way, stay uninformed and vote because someone told you to vote for _ because his is the best guy for you. So pay no attention to the stripes on the zebra and you can believe you voted for a thoroughbred horse.

wonderbread 11 months ago

Commissionder Hines has a lot of wisdom and seems to make rational decisions. The people of Ward 2 really like him. Demetrius and Bobby are friends of Henry Mathis - nuff said!

KaosinAlbany 11 months ago

Now, tell the truth, Roger. The commission wanted rid of Mathis and y'all stooped to a level as to set Mathis up to get rid of him once and for all, just like you gerrrymandered the new ward maps to get rid of ME. I know all about your games. Some on the commission are very scared of opposition and will do anything to get rid of some people who wish to do good for the community so y'all can continue to do your dirty work and hide your past dirty work. You really think we are that stupid? I am waiting to see who y'all will convince to run against Ms. Fletcher cause I know y'all are scared she might win the Ward 3 race. GAME ON!!!

KaosinAlbany 11 months ago

On top of that I do know how you shut down the Albany Journal and got rid of Hogancamp. You are the lowest of the low, Roger. To be honest, I am glad you do now represent me anymore. You actually did me a favor.

KaosinAlbany 11 months ago

Have you actually went door to door and asked people if they really like Hines in ward 2? You barely represent your own ward... nuff said!

KaosinAlbany 11 months ago

Check out the above link and this will give you an idea of the games Roger Marietta plays with concerned citizens who oppose the commission.

Demetrius 11 months ago

I truly appreciate the candid discussions taking place in reference to the race for city commissioners. I have read your comments and in your efforts to thoroughly evaluate, I want to clarify some of your assumptions and provide additional information to help in your evaluation process. I have only met Mr. Henry Mathis twice. I met him at an event and recently in passing where we had about a fifteen minute discussion about me running for Ward II and his candidate Bobby Coleman who is also running for Ward II. Also, Mr. Pike and I acquaintance is merely fraternal as with Rev. Hines, T. Postell, G. Edwards, Judge Lockett and James Taylor. We are all great men of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc. Now I truly do not believe that B4it was implying that all individuals who have graduated and/or work for ASU is corrupted. If you are, you have insulted over half of this region's population in some form or fashion. Finally, here is my link to my campaign website http://www.demetriuslove.com Here you can review my promise to Ward II, my pledge, credentials, and the different platforms I will use to inform. engage and represent the people. I believe this information will prove to be vital in your efforts to thoroughly and fairly evaluate my knowledge, skills and abilities to represent the constituents in Ward II. So please engage with me and I look forward to your dialogue. Email me if you have issues, concerns or need more clarification on a specific topic. I look forward from hearing from you and starting a dialogue that will continue to move #albanyforward.

Elect <a href=www.DemetriusLove.com for Commissioner Ward II">

Elect www.DemetriusLove.com for Commissioner Ward II by Demetrius

Abytaxpayer 11 months ago

Demetrius ....Thank you for your reply. Would you be willing to make a full personal financial disclosure? The presumed connection between yourself and Mr. Pike raised a red flag because of his financial dealings. Also please consider ward II as only a part of Albany and not let it be your only focus. While I applaud your desire to host monthly “Lets Talk Ward II meetings” in various locations throughout Ward II also consider holding “Lets Talks” in other wards as well. Too many times a commissioner will only focus on how topics and issues are impacting his ward and not consider what is BEST for ALL of Albany.

Demetrius 11 months ago

Abytaxpayer... I do understand your concerns and the importance thereof. If you would email me and we can connect off line, I have no quarrels with discussing and disclosing my financial status. My wife and I work in the public sector so therefore our income is public which ranges between $100k - $150k as a household. Also property value is public information and our home is listed value at $250k and we bought our home out right (no mortgage). I will go a little further and state our savings range between $75k - $100k (without a mortgage we are able to place in our savings monthly between $1000 to $1500). We own three cars with one car note (less then $600mthly). No major bills just cell phones, insurance, cable and our children activities. I hope this help with the red flag and if we connect off line, I will provide you proof of the above mention.

I also agree with your position on issues impacting the greater Albany and not just a specific Ward. This is actually the leading reason why I launched my campaign from a social media perspective first. It allows everyone to have a voice and on the surveys you can identify which Ward you represent. It is my desire to create a blue print that is successful in keeping the people well INFORMED, continuously ENGAGED, consistently REPRESENTED. Some people may not agree with me responding and communicating thru this particular platform but if I am going to try to reconnect the people to restore empowerment and pride then this is the best platform to start with because here is where your most outspoken people of Albany/Dougherty county communicate. I will definitely consider having some of the monthly "Lets Talk" in community natural venues.

The social media campaign is proving to be idea for my promise to inform. engage. represent. as far as reaching the greater Albany area. It is completing its second week and averaging more then 100 likes a week. More importantly, people are completing the surveys and it is really shaping up the picture of what issues matters most to us. What I have discovered thru the surveys so far that Jobs are number 1 no matter what ward you live in and a lot of people do not know what ward they live in. Make sure you are connected. I will post an update and analysis on the survey responses at this point including why they are so important on the campaign social media before the weekend ends. Once again, I look forward to continuing this dialogue and working to move #albanyforward together.

I have to end this with a little proud parent shoutout. My daughter, Alexzandria Love, who attends Sherwood Acre elementary public school exceeded all of her CRCT scores (above 850) and scored a perfect 920/920 in reading. Way to go sweetheart and keep up the good work! Daddy loves his girls!

Abytaxpayer 11 months ago

Thank you for your reply. And Congratulation to your daughter also.

Sister_Ruby_Two 11 months ago

Demetrius 11 months ago

Great observation Sister_Ruby_Two... Lets just say I could not have done it without my mother. We also own property in Columbus, GA. Lets connect off line if you would like to discuss further.

B4it 11 months ago

Deme.... no, not all at ASU are corrupt. However there are many with a racist attitude summarily expressed by E. Freeman as "now it is our time". A prime example was the student lead protest in support of Trayvon Martin. Facts were not known about what really happened. Until this culture is confronted and changed, then there will be a suspicious cloud over the heads of those coming out of this environment.

As an example of not all inclusive at ASU, Bynum is indeed an asset for the university. However, as long as there are those with the shallow view point of keeping the racist title "Historical Black College", this university, and this community, will never come together to truly achieve positive results. There is NO justification for keeping this title. NONE! There used to be "white only" water fountains, rest rooms, and other racist designated locations. These have changed and rightfully so. Do you get the point? THINK about it.

Abytaxpayer 11 months ago

B4it you are correct Bynum is an asset to have in the state of Georgia much less a small school such as ASU.

ittybittyme 11 months ago

I am in Ward 2. I do not dislike Mr. Hines. I have talked with him and attended meetings with ward 2 constituents. Mr. Hines is not assertive in his role. Lack of assertiveness has nothing to so with his blindness. He seems to be a laid back person and sometimes that does not get the job done.

Somebody 11 months ago

Nothing good comes out of Albany State.

Sister_Ruby_Two 11 months ago

"..........show some love.............." was, I think, copywrighted by the late "Doctor" Murfree. He might be happy to sell it to you for the right price. Can you afford it?

MRKIA 11 months ago

KNOW PIKE OR NOT, NO ONE WANTS TO ELECT HIS POSSIBLE TWIN.

Sister_Ruby_Two 11 months ago

Repeating my question: How can someone so young, with under $150,000 combined income, own 3 cars and have no mortgage on a $250k house?

B4it 11 months ago

D.Love, could you share your stance on ASU maintaining the title of "Historical Black College"? This is a community of diverseness, and this college represents Albany (and SW GA). Should this college keep referring to itself by this racially specific title? Inquiring minds want to know where you stand.

B4it 11 months ago

Interesting observation that D Love responds to Sis' question about his finances, but ignores the above question about ASU's title. This should not be a hard question to answer. By his lack of response, I think I may already know.

Sister_Ruby_Two 11 months ago

Hello? Is the Candidate still engaged?

B4it 11 months ago

Sis, his short response to you is under one of his above comments (shows as "3 replies"). I'm still waiting on a response to my question.

Sister_Ruby_Two 10 months, 4 weeks ago

Got it. Somebody else's money is the short, short answer.