Massey: Misinformation hurts NYSP program

ALBANY, Ga. -- Jesse Massey said the calls started coming in early Tuesday morning, not long after The Albany Herald hit the streets.

"I had all these people calling me, wanting to know when NYSP became a two-week program," Massey, an Albany native and retired educator, said of the National Youth Sports Program that he's been involved with for the past 38 years. "I was at a loss."

A Dougherty County Commission discussion Monday that characterized NYSP as a "two-week program" has, Massey said Tuesday afternoon, hurt his and program officials Robert Skinner and Dan Land's efforts to raise funding for the five-week program that provides activities and educational opportunities for children ages 9-15.

"What I want the County Commission and the people in the community to understand is that NYSP is not a two-week program," Massey said. "It started as a six-week program, and dropped to five weeks due to funding cuts. The shortest program we've had is 4 1/2 weeks.

"What concerns me is that people will look at our funding request ($15,000) and say, 'Wow, that much money for just two weeks?' The misinformation hurts us big-time and we want to clear that up."

Massey said he's also concerned that some officials have indicated there's no proof that the local NYSP program, one of 11 such programs -- from a high of 238 -- left in the nation, is beneficial to participants.

"I'm proof," he said. "I was the first student to participate in the program back in 1975, and I've been involved with it ever since. I know NYSP opened my eyes to a level I had not been exposed to before, made me want to do something positive with my life. It also kept me out of trouble.

"There are doctors, lawyers, educators who went through the program who tell me today what an impact it had on them. NYSP at Albany State University has impacted in excess of 25,000 young people since 1975. I can guarantee you a lot of those young people would have been out wondering the streets without NYSP."

Massey appealed to the Albany and Dougherty County commissions for $15,000 in funding after the city voted last year to give emergency funding to the Flint RiverQuarium and the Albany Civil Rights Institute.

"They told me not to come back before them because they weren't giving any money to nonprofits, but then I saw where they'd given to those others," Massey said. "I also read in The Herald that gangs start recruiting kids in the 9 to 15 age range, and that's our target age group. Summer is almost here and school is out. These kids are going to be influenced one way or another.

"There's a need for this program. It has been a major benefit to this community. Not every kid can go to the Boys and Girls Clubs or the YMCA or Girls Inc. We provide a place where, from 7:45 to 2 o'clock, parents can know their children will be safe, will be fed and will be taken care of."

Comments

Ihope4albany 11 months, 1 week ago

I hope that the funding will be provided. Officials and citizens must understand if youth are not given structured programs now, they will pay later with prison costs.

Remember when $1 million was spent on the Gang Task Force! Just imagine how many youth in annual structured summer programs could have benefited from that $1 million. Then, look at the costs savings of them not going to RYDC and prison.

Sister_Ruby_Two 11 months, 1 week ago

Don't you think we should confiscate ALL monies made by hard working citizens and REDISTRIBUTE to those in the COMMUNITY who possibly had slaves as great, great, great grandparents? I mean, that's your usual state of mind..............at least as far as what little mind you still have is concerned.

Bubbavet_rureel 11 months, 1 week ago

Sister, thank you for your expression, however, it sucks just like the rest of your negative comments. You need to get a life, commenting on racial issues is old, we're not going anywhere, please save your breath.

Abytaxpayer 11 months, 1 week ago

IHOPE ......Stop the BS preaching and write a Check. They will accept your money as well as my tax dollars.

Bubbavet_rureel 11 months, 1 week ago

Whats wrong with your personal checks.

MRKIA 11 months, 1 week ago

CHECKS ARE WRITTEN EVERY TIME SOMEONE PAYS TAXES.

Bubbavet_rureel 11 months, 1 week ago

I agree, you know the real deal. Keep Hope Alive.

Abytaxpayer 11 months, 1 week ago

Proof the program works? Out of 238 only 11 are still begging for funds. “There are doctors, lawyers, educators who went through the program” and how many are contributing money today? Let’s be honest “ We provide a place where, from 7:45 to 2 o'clock, parents know their children will be taken care of" and it won’t cost them a dime! GiveMeDat FREE money!

Bubbavet_rureel 11 months, 1 week ago

That's why we pay taxes, mind your business - rookie.

DRTexas 11 months, 1 week ago

I agree to a point. They should work out a dollar matching deal with the city or county, where the amount given by the taxpayers will match the amount donated by local businesses and individual donations. It would be better for the community, AND it would leave a better impression on taxpayers.

If they set up as a 501 (C) 3 nonprofit, The donors could us it as a tax write off.

This is the way it is done in the real world.

Bubbavet_rureel 11 months, 1 week ago

Is this true? Your thoughts? Do the bias cat have your thoughts?

Who voted for the recently hired AP at Monroe? He was allegedly escorted out of Tift Co. High School and terminated. How did he end up in DCSS? Who brought him here? Friends in high places? We should look deeper into these 'out-of county' applicants.

FryarTuk 11 months, 1 week ago

Hit Phoebe Health Systems, Rev. Herd and the other big churches for the money. Sounds like it's more in their category than tax payers. I also agree that money given from City and County taxes to non-profits is illegal. I am totally unfamiliar with NYSP it may be a great program but not from tax money.

Bubbavet_rureel 11 months, 1 week ago

Ok, keep hoping, Leaders, please write the check.

Amazed2 11 months, 1 week ago

Hey 5 weeks just makes it that much easier for THE parents that Birthed the Children to pay. Now they only need $6 week. (500 kids x $6 = $3000 WK x 5 wks = $15000. That's like one trip a week to McDonalds or Kentucky Fried Chicken. Why should my property taxes go to buy 500 other peoples kids Camp. No my kids Not my responsibility.

B4it 11 months, 1 week ago

Amazed2, your comments were short, factual, and to the point. Good job. As I stated in another response, just how many good programs need to be funded by tax payers before you draw the line and say NO MORE? If the other programs are not getting the desired results for lowering crime and educating our youth, then stop funding them! THINK about it.

Bubbavet_rureel 11 months, 1 week ago

Save your negative post. Write the check.

B4it 11 months, 1 week ago

Bubba... there is nothing negative about being factual. I guess you can't stand the truth. Encouraging others to just write a check without knowing if the program is lawful to be funded by tax payer dollars, or what would happen if only 90 kids show up instead of 500, is not only irresponsible behaviour, but also sets a precedent for bad policy/decisions. THINK about it!

RedEric 11 months, 1 week ago

Another good thing about living in Albany is that you soon learn how many welfare programs there are. It is truly amazing how creative the Regime becomes with our money. Welfare for children. Welfare for teens. Welfare for adults who don't want to work. Welfare for adults who want to appear to have a job. This welfare for kids who apparently don't know how to play.

Bubbavet_rureel 11 months, 1 week ago

You are misguided, write the check.

rightasrain 11 months, 1 week ago

If NYSP is such a success through ASU, let ASU fund the entire program for the summer. It would certainly be a gateway into ASU then into the DCSS. If the County Commisioners fund this, then I'm creating a non-profit, getting IRS status as a non-profit and going before the County Commissioners and asking for a huge contribution and if it isn't given, then sue on grounds of discrimination.

Bubbavet_rureel 11 months, 1 week ago

ASU are doing their part, you need to keep paying taxes and step up!! write the check.

MRKIA 11 months, 1 week ago

WHAT PART? SENDING A BUNCH OF SORRY A** TEACHERS TO DCSS?

ittybittyme 11 months, 1 week ago

I am a taxpayer and Ibam tires of funding these programs. Hit the streets and get the funds from the churches and the parents of these children...oh that's right...they are entitled to another free handout.

Amazed2 11 months, 1 week ago

Hey why not ask all these doctors and lawyers that started with this program for some $$. Surely you have a list?? 15 X $1000, or 30 x $500, or 100 x $150, or 150 x $100. Surely they will pay your way?? That is unless they do not exist.

MRKIA 11 months, 1 week ago

BUBBA NEVER ANSWERS EXCEPT WITH MORE NONSENSE.

Bubbavet_rureel 11 months, 1 week ago

Yesssssssssssssssssssssssss, please use my taxpaying dollars. Please stop using my tax dollars to build more jaillllllllllllllllllllllllllls. This is a good preventive measure, save our Youth.

Please dont listen to the negative commenters, they enjoy watching youth get in trouble.

Bubbavet_rureel 11 months, 1 week ago

Cutting the kids off will bring the real out of retirement, if you want to get me started, please keep your negative comments coming.

The real supporter of the deal, which is to keep the kids funded!

Bubbavet_rureel 11 months, 1 week ago

Sister: is there any truth to this statement.

Are do the racial bias cat have your tongue?

MRKIA 11 months, 1 week ago

(OR) DOES IS THE CORRECT TERM.

Amazed2 11 months, 1 week ago

I'm OK with $15000 of tax dollars for Birth Control. Maybe that possibly reduce the need to support parents that want taxpayers to support their children.

cspecial199 11 months, 1 week ago

JESSEE, YOU KNOW THE REAL REASON, RACISM.IF WHITE KIDS FROM L;EE COUNTY WAS PARTICIPATING IN THIS PROGRAM, YOU WOULD HAVE MONEY OVERFLOWING INTO THE PROGRAM.THATS WHY BLACKS IN ALBANY SHOULD WAKE UP AND UNITE INSTEAD OF HURTING EACH OTHER FOR WHITES WHO DON"T CARE ANYTHING ABOUT THEM.THERE"S STILL RACISM GOING ON THEY JUST DO IT WITH A SMILE WHICH SEEMS TO SUBDUE BLACKS.THEY DIDN"T STOP UNTIL THE BOE IN DOUGHERTY COUNTY IS DOMINATED BY WHITES WHILE THE STUDENT BODY IS DOMINATED BY BLACK STUDENTS.THEY SEND THEIRS TO LEE COUNTY AND THE SURROUINDING PRIVATE SCHOOLS BUT THE BLACKS DON"T FEEL COMFORTABLE UNLESS WHITES ARE OVER THEM SO THEY GOT WHAT THEY WANT NOW SO LIVE WITH IT.UNTIL BLACKS UNITE( WHICH WILL NEVER HAPPEN) THEY WILL ALWAYS BE SHORT CHANGED.

B4it 11 months, 1 week ago

Yet another fine example of playing the race card from one of the "dumb masses". When shallow thinkers like you stop blaming whites for the cultural issues that keep many in poverty, then and only then, will you experience positive trends for learning. The only racism I see here in Albany has been from those you want to see be united (prime example: City Commissioner Tommy Postell).

MRKIA 11 months, 1 week ago

LET THE BLACK COMMUNITY PULL TOGETHER AND MAKE THIS HAPPEN, NOT BY THE GOVERNMENT BUT BY THE STRENGHT OF THEIR OWN RESOLVE.

MRKIA 11 months, 1 week ago

BUBBA_VET RUREEL IS CONSPICIOUSLY MISSING DURING THE REBUILDING OF THE DCSS AND IT'S THOROUGH HOUSECLEANING.

Amazed2 11 months, 1 week ago

Cspecial199, I don't see anything about 500 kids from Lee County or Worth County or Crisp or Baker or Mitchell County wanting $15000 from the Dougherty County Commission/Tax Payer nor has there been any reported request from these other Counties. In other words Dougherty County has the only population of 13 to 18 yr old kids asking the gov to pay $15000 for their camp.

Bubbavet_rureel 11 months, 1 week ago

Which city have the largest population, and the most crime? Last question, can these kids count on you?

B4it 11 months, 1 week ago

Bubba... why do you suppose there is more crime in Albany? Also, read my response to your earlier comment above so that you understand the foolishness of your demands for checks.