ALBANY, Ga. -- Everybody has a favorite -- ribs, Boston butt, chicken or maybe just the wings. Local law enforcement officers took their pick at the 13th annual Law Enforcement Memorial Week Cook-off at the Fraternal order of Police Lodge on Dunbar Lane.
Many of them cooked up their favorites, competing for this year's bragging rights.
The cook-off is held each year in observation of national Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Week, according to officers in attendance. Thirteen barbecue teams offered up their finest, going whole hog toward coming out on top.
"The teams compete for bragging rights," said Victor Camp, a coordinator for the event, "but the real reason is the fellowship and having a chance to think about those officers who've fallen in the line of duty. As law enforcement officers, we run across other people like us every day, but this is time to just have fun."
Camp said the cooking got it's start when former Police Chief Bobby Johnson told him he wanted something going on for every day of memorial week.
"The only thing I knew was grilling," Camp said. "We started up and for the first couple of years we only had four teams. Then it just got bigger and bigger."
According to Camp, some of the teams are of just three or four people, while others might be six or more. The only real requirement is that at least one of the team members be involved with public safety. The teams represent police officers, detectives, deputies, code enforcement agents, probation officers and others from all over Dougherty and Lee counties.
When the smoke had cleared away, the Federallies team from Marine Corps Logistics Base - Albany was declared grand champs, with a first place win in the rib category as well as second place in chicken and third in wings.
- Third place in the chicken category went to BBQ Bandits (Albany Police Department.
- First place in chicken to Young Gun Smokers (Albany-Dougherty Drug Unit and Lee County Sheriff's Office).
- Second place in wings went to Kiddie Que (Juvenile Court).
- First place in wings went to Phil J's Cooking Crew (Lee County Sheriff's Office).
- Third place in ribs to Phil J's Cooking Crew.
- Second place in ribs to Smokin' Guns (APD, ADDU and Parks and Recreation).
- Third place in Best Butt category to Five-O BBQ (Lee County)
- Second place in Best Butt went to Phil J's Cooking Crew.
- First Place in Best Butt to Smokin' Guns.