Christianity no threat to the U.S. military

Letter to the Editor

A few weeks ago, I sent an email to Congressman Bishop over his website. I mentioned that I had read about a consultant to the Department of Defense who stated that Christianity in the U.S. military is a serious national security threat. I did receive an email in response but the message stated to me that “due to the high volume of correspondence, this office will respond later.”

I have had no further response. Perhaps his screener thought that I was a jokester of some sort, but I sent the same email to Sen. Chambliss, whose screener thought my question deserved a response. Sen. Chambliss’ office did contact the Department of Defense, and he responded to my email with words to the effect that the Department of Defense places great emphasis on religion in the military. Yet, the Department of Defense has issued orders concerning Christian soldiers are not to witness to other soldiers.

In over 20 years’ service to this country as a commissioned officer in the U.S. Army, I never did see any adverse effect on a unit’s morale, the unit’s mission, or the unit’s wellbeing caused by a Christian soldier sharing his faith to another soldier in the Army, except for one time. I was an instructor pilot at Fort Rucker and one of my fellow instructor pilots felt he should witness to his student pilots while in flight, and so he did. He should have known that witnessing was inappropriate in those circumstances. There is a time for everything under the sun and witnessing while teaching someone to fly an aircraft is not the right time. Sitting in a defensive position surrounded by Taliban fighters is a good time for witnessing, however!

DUANE “BANJO” DAVIS

Pelham

Comments

ObjectiveEyes 11 months, 1 week ago

My, how far our country has fallen. And, if you expect to get any answer other than the the "...due to the high volume of correspondence..." from Bishop's office, don't hold your breath. Plus, he will absolutely toe the party line on this and every issue.

ScubaGolfJim 11 months, 1 week ago

There is No Room for proselytizing in the US Military. There is widespread discrimination of any religion other than christianity and of atheism or agnosticism in many commands. It's way past time for this to be stopped in the US Military. This is a country of religious Freedom. And No Matter WHAT you like to scream, it IS Freedom OF Religion and Freedom FROM Religion. You cannot force your archaic religious beliefs onto others. In the military, it is much more than just common-place. It is pandemic. And yes, I used a term for a disease, because that is pretty much how some people see religion. But that is in direct response to the forcing of religion onto us. WE DO NOT CARE what your religious beliefs are, but WE DO NOT want to be forced to listen to them either. That happens in the military, and it should not. You can think of me as a NAVY Veteran that fought for your right to have your religious beliefs, and for my right to not be forced to live by them.

agirl_25 11 months, 1 week ago

Could not have said it better myself, ScubaGolfJim.....applause applause. The worst thing to me is when someone thinks I want to hear about their relationship with their god.

USTPC 11 months, 1 week ago

If I am a Christian soldier and I read the Bible every night and I pray to my Lord and Savior every night do you consider that proselytizing? And if I am doing that and one of my bunk mates asks me about my faith and I answer him is that proselytizing?

I ask because by definition that is not proselytizing but based on what the US military is proposing it would be. They are in fact proposing that Christian soldiers would not be able to have any outward show of faith. In addition to that they are only targeting Christian proselytizing. Islam, Buddhism, atheism, and agnosticism they have no issue with.

You cannot single out one religion and allow others and you cannot force a person not to show any outward sign of their faith or it violates their right to practice their religion.

agirl_25 11 months, 1 week ago

The first question's answer, in my opinion would be no..I can't see where you reading the bible and praying makes you one who is trying to convert anyone to your Christian faith. To question number two, if a bunk mate asked you about your faith....no, it is not proselytizing, not if he asked you first. Maybe they are targeting only the Christian faith, but then I have never had a Buddist or muslim come knock on my door and say "Let me tell you about my lord." Personally I don't care what religion anyone practices, as long as they don't violate my right to not have to listen to it. Fair enough?

wordsone 11 months, 1 week ago

For those who refuse to receive the Gospel...I promise you - - you are missing out on the one thing that will provide joy, peace, healing and love -- surpassing all natural reasoning and regardless of your circumstances. It doesn't come from the things of the world it comes from God. Eternal life begins here and now...with the blessings I just mentioned. How can any true Christian in good conscience withhold this truth with those who have not yet received it?? if you saw a starving man wouldn't you give him something to eat? if someone is thirsty wouldn't you give him a drink of water? if someone has not figured out the way to God wouldn't you introduce him to Jesus?

lowercasejesus 11 months, 1 week ago

Just read where atheist groups will have their books next to the bibles in DNR cabins in GA. Ha, how does it feel christians to have what you see to be a load of BS pushed in front of you? And i ask of any religious person, why is it so hard for you to understand that your neighbor or someone on the other side of the earth might not have the same beliefs as you? The whole ' im right n youre wrong' argument holds no water and is the hypocritical linchpin of god worship the world over.

revolutionnow 11 months, 1 week ago

Could you explain your username ? Just curious as to what you believe in.