Deerfield-Windsor graduates 58 seniors

Deerfield-Windsor School Valedictorian, and Dougherty County STAR Student, Kaitlyn Yarborough addresses her classmates and the crowd during the school's 2013 Commencement Exercise Sunday Afternoon. Fifty-eight seniors received their high school diplomas during the ceremony. (May 19, 2013)

ALBANY, Ga. — All 58 members of Deerfield-Windsor School’s Class of 2013 marched toward their graduation Sunday with mixed emotions. Most said they will always treasure and miss the friendships during their time at DWS, but they also were excitedly looking forward to the future.

“I’m feeling really good right now and I am so ready to do this,” senior Paige Hawke said. “I will miss all of my friends, playing tennis and stuff like that, but it is time to move on.”

Hawke will attend Auburn University in the fall. She plans to major in apparel design.

“I’m nervous and excited at the same time,” Ansley Arrington said. “I will miss my supportive teachers and friends. Everybody in my class grew close to each other. We had fantastic school spirit and it was a lot of fun.

Arrington plans to attend the University of Georgia in the fall. She is undecided as to her major, but said she is leaning toward pharmacy.

“I am excited that I have finally gotten four years under my belt, but I am excited about starting something new,” said Rich Fallaw, who has enrolled at The Citadel. “I am very grateful for the education I received here. Deerfield-Windsor has really prepared me well for the future. The school did a great job of that.”

Class Salutatorian Kate Kimbrel agreed.

“I’d like to thank the faculty and administration for helping us reach the potential that we never knew we had,” she said. “That’s what this place is all about. I feel like I was adopted by not just one person, but by the entire Deerfield family.

“People say that if you can make one good friend in life, then you are lucky. Well, I feel like I have 57 of them sitting behind me.”

Class Valedictorian Kaitlyn Yarborough was a bit nostalgic as she addressed the gathering.

“There is always another mountain to climb, but we’ve all been too busy to realize that what we were doing all along was working toward this day. And all our futures are not the same,” Yarborough, Dougherty County’s STAR Student for 2012-13, said. “This is not a celebration of our past, or our present. This is a celebration of our future. Deciding who we want to be and who we will become is the basis of everything.

“I hope my classmates can do it with grace. We’ll go crying, stumbling and shrieking; all we can do is strive for fulfillment.”

Yarborough then urged her classmates to take chances in life.

“Life is risky and scary,” she said, “but remember we are the trailblazers of this generation.”

Comments

Cartman 11 months ago

Congrats! Now go make something of yourselves. Be producers and not just consumers. Our nation needs you now. Work hard and make good families. Put your trust in God, he won't let you down. Be persistent. Don't look for entitlements. Work for what you get. Expect great things and then accomplish them.

FryarTuk 11 months ago

My goodness. Why are there no smiles?

beenhereawhile 11 months ago

Graduation speeches are not the most exciting. The best part of a graduation ceremony is the end. Plenty of smiles then, I am sure!

Sister_Ruby_Two 11 months ago

Maybe they are all jealous of her success?

bubbasmithredneck 11 months ago

they are not allowed to be happy at Deerfield......(I'm kidding) chill out!!!

lowercasejesus 11 months ago

I wonder how many got declined by UGA and will have to settle for Ol Miss like so many had to do bout 20 years ago.

chinaberry25 11 months ago

I know a few that got turned down by UGA too and they had parents and grandparents who went there. Makes you wonder. Deerfield is a good school but they must get a lot of donations since there are so few graduates. But I do wish them the best life has to offer.

Outtahere 11 months ago

Man, that girl on the right is really giving her a dirty look! lol

erudite 11 months ago

Any non-christians or students of color? Of course these graduates will rest on their laurels; their parents paid for them to avoid life by enrolling in DaWhiteSchool, who are knot the knights for knothing. they believe they are entitled because they are white. They are entitled to good grades, a private education (with grade inflation), to a job, to a house, to a marriage, to the white fence, to the dog....who are you trying to BS?

Sister_Ruby_Two 11 months ago

erudite, at least the blond girl in the picture has for real blond hair unlike the one in the Albany public school picture.

Anyone ever told you that you were racies? Well consider yourself told.

erudite 11 months ago

What is racies? If you meant racist, how is my comment racist? Ignorant people and frightened people tell me that often.

Anyone ever told you that you were dumb as crap? Well consider your self told.

FryarTuk 11 months ago

You should hang around with better people.

Sister_Ruby_Two 11 months ago

Nobody ever told me that and showed up for work the next morning if that's what you're asking.

erudite 11 months ago

ooh big talk from little mind

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 11 months ago

I thought stereotypes were bad? It makes me sad that we have teachers who think like you molding tomorrow's generation.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 11 months ago

I said, "teachers who think like you," which only speaks to your mind frame and not your physical characteristics. As far as your claim of preferential treatment, that is nothing more than your body's coping mechanism to explain why you don't have the same level of success as others. The only answer you have is that people who "don't look like me" must have an advantage to which I am not privy. If this were decades ago, then you may have a point. This is, however, not the case anymore. Universities, colleges, and many employers are desperately looking for a more diverse student body and work force. They give an advantage to any minority when making selection choices.

Talking about something to which you have no knowledge of and no experience dealing with is the definition of ignorance. DWS and SCA are completely different schools with different cultures and different missions. One thing they have in common is that they stress education over athletics. DoCo schools are known statewide for having poor educational performance, hence why many parents choose to send their kids to a private school. I'm sure that a small minority of parents send their kids to private schools to remove their kids from the perceived negative influence of "public school riff raff." There are also as many parents of public school students who wouldn't send their kids to a private school because of the lack of a diversity.

As for your last question. I don't answer someone who isn't sophisticated enough to ask a question without obscene language.

FryarTuk 11 months ago

erud, sounds like you are a bit bitter about what you perceive is their privileged life. Cheer up life could be worse for you. I don't know how given your disposition but it could be.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 11 months ago

By her username selection, it sounds like erudite is overcompensating for an inferiority complex.

bubbasmithredneck 11 months ago

Good Job graduates...live long and prosper!

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 11 months ago

Does DWS still have 100% college enrollment from its graduates?

erudite 11 months ago

Probably, grade inflation at its best. Getting in isn't any big deal. How long does it take them to fail out?

FryarTuk 11 months ago

You're thinking of ASU.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 11 months ago

Maybe you should go try and teach at DWS...

erudite 11 months ago

Ah, no. Never. Ever. No way. Sorry if your mind filled in words that were not there. So, who are you?

Look beyond the surface, DWS and SCA have the same agenda; it is not about education, it is about economic class.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 11 months ago

You failed to respond to my post above where I covered all this.

Who am I? Someone who doesn't appreciate the hate you spew, and can see your insecurities.

erudite 11 months ago

I do not see a discussion of economic class. I see a denial of the white knapsack of privilege (BTW-I am white). Are you equating class with color?

Do you appreciate the hate that others spew or just mine? What insecurities do I have? Please tell me; I want to see if they match my list.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 11 months ago

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 2 days, 21 hours ago

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 11 months ago

I don't care for any hate that is spewed. When someone says something uninformed or racist, I call him or her out on it.

I don't believe you are white anymore than I believe Sister Ruby is female. If I'm not mistaken you have already stated that you are a black female teacher in the DCSS.

erudite 11 months ago

Um, that's not me..I am white teacher, not in DCSS.

What is racist? I see absolutely no difference between me pointing to white privilege and the rest of you pointing to black abuses of some system.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 11 months ago

That's not you? If you say so, hon.

When did I point to, "black abuses of some system?"

You still failed to respond to my post, which is not surprising.