Bright of the day - May 21, 2013

"I can remember watching movies at the Albany Theatre when I was a kid. I'd love to see that building restored to what it was back then."

To submit a Bright Side comment, Click here.

Bright Side comments are submitted by the public and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of The Albany Herald.

Comments

dickyboy 11 months ago

Agree granny....use to get buttered popcorn when I would work late.. waste of money now..

ittybittyme 10 months, 4 weeks ago

Restoration using private funds. Not taxpayers dollars.

Oldguy 10 months, 4 weeks ago

I also went there when it was a genuine majestic theatre. You could walk downtown at night window shopping, fried chicken at the Pig & Whistle, hamburgers at the Artic Bear, drive in movies on North Slappey and at five points , Garganos Restaurant at five points, swimming at Radium Springs. Memories are great but in this day and time these things just can not be brought back. Sad but true.

VSU 10 months, 4 weeks ago

Those were the days, The last drive in movie I saw at the North Slappey Drive in was "The Poseidon Adventure" but can't remember the last movie I saw at the state theatre. I loved the Artic Bear.

erudite 10 months, 4 weeks ago

Are you going to make the 'colored' people go in the side entrance and sit in the balcony just like ol' times in dixie?

Sister_Ruby_Two 10 months, 4 weeks ago

No, it's going to be the entrance for idiots so you'll have a place to go in.

Phinizy3 10 months, 4 weeks ago

From what I have read, most cities experience flat or negative growth after their historic downtown areas are abandoned. The phenomenon happens with most American cities at about 100,000 people when suburbia sucks the older downtown dry. And, growth does not resume until the historic downtown area is revitalized. Unfortunately, only a serious, concerted effort to revitalize a downtown area will work. Examples of cities that have undergone decline and then resurgence credited to the revitalization of "downtown" are everywhere across this great nation. Like it or not, until we embrace what must be, must be done downtown, we will struggle to prosper and grow. We must "back and fill" the core before we can expand. the experience of other cities like Albany seem to be telling us that their is no other way.