MCLB-Albany cancels July 4 fireworks show

ALBANY, Ga. — The latest victim of the federal government’s spending constraints is Marine Corps Logistics Base-Albany’s popular Independence Day celebration.

The cancellation of the base’s annual July 4th celebration comes on the heels of federal budget cuts that have restricted spending and forced furloughs.

The event, which typically draws up to 10,000 people from Albany and the surrounding area, has always been free to the public; however, tighter spending has forced the Marine Corps to cut the show, base officials say.

“We are unable to conduct our annual fireworks celebration this year due to sequestration,” Col. Don Davis, MCLB-Albany’s base commander, said. “This decision didn’t come lightly as our MCLB team understands how important this event is to our service members and the local community, but cancelling it will allow us to use all available resources to ensure we can mitigate the fiscal challenges we are currently facing.

“We look forward to adding the celebration back onto our calendar as soon as is fiscally responsible.”

The cancellation will mark the first time in 18 years that MCLB will not host a Fourth of July event on base.

The city of Albany will still have its Independence Day celebration this year, but the budget plan that goes into effect July 1 likely won’t include funding for fireworks in 2014.

The city event also is moving. Traditionally held downtown near the Albany Civic Center, the fireworks show will be conducted at the Exchange Club Fairgrounds, where attendees will be asked to pay $2 per person or $5 per car to attend.

Comments

Somebody 11 months ago

Another box checked off by Obama, I guess next on his list is cancelling Thanksgiving and Christmas.

erudite 11 months ago

Let's hope so. Maybe capitalists will take the hint.

stc1993 11 months ago

I was thinking the same erudite, it wouldn't hurt my feelings none at all.

rightasrain 11 months ago

Cancelling because of sequestration? I think not; but because Obomba's orders for military bases to cancel all such public displays and blame it on secastration.

Sister_Ruby_Two 11 months ago

I specks you 'bout to get yo'seff moderated, erudite. Maybe you can get some counselling while you're waiting for your future comments to post. You obviously need quite a bit of help.

erudite 11 months ago

Guess what? I don't donate one piece of fecal material.

zenatty1 11 months ago

you guys must be stupid- over fireworks? Why spend money on such an endeavor, when clearly we need to tighten up a little? All this criticism smacks of racism and ignorance... I wish Christmas would not happen now- save even more money!

VSU 11 months ago

If you don't want to do Christmas and buy your family presents then go for it, don't ruin it for everybody else.

erudite 11 months ago

everybody else? who is everybody else? why are my taxes paying for a christian holiday? I'll bet you would scream loudly if taxes were used to support Hanukah or Kwanzaa or Ramadan!!

When did xmas become only gifts?

VSU 11 months ago

Who is everybody else? Are you too dumb to figure that out? Everybody else that celebrates Christmas. Who is everybody else...give me a break. Why should my taxes go to pay welfare, food stamps and all these other free giveaways for these sorry lazy people who choose not to work is a better question.

erudite 11 months ago

why should my taxes pay for any faith? Just be clear: everybody else means EVERYBODY. Everybody does not believe the same thing.

VSU 11 months ago

Everybody else that does believe in it, but then again, no surprise that you wouldn't understand.

VSU 11 months ago

But then again, who cares that you mind? Frankly I didn't realize you had a mind. You seem upset the last couple of days. The heat getting to you already? It's not even summertime yet.

erudite 11 months ago

It's not the heat and humidity; it's the hate and stupidity.

VSU 11 months ago

Then maybe you should keep quiet, then people won't realize how hateful and stupid you are.

KaosinAlbany 11 months ago

I agree with the hate and stupidity part. LOL Glad I am not the only who feels this way about a bunch of bloggers on here. LOL

Sally_O 11 months ago

Sounds pretty stupid to me that erudite would agree that she is stupid and hateful and should keep quiet. Just saying.....

erudite 11 months ago

No more battles of wit with unarmed people; it's a waste of my energy. I am just gathering info for a book on how to be an albanite.

VSU 11 months ago

Or maybe a book on being an idiot, that should be easy for you, just recall your own boring life.

erudite 11 months ago

And I will have all of these comments to support a book on my idiocy.

jM69 11 months ago

The problem is we're paying too much overtime to the people at the IRS and Justice department to violate peoples rights....

Sister_Ruby_Two 11 months ago

The O'Bama insanity just continues unabated....................

Jax 11 months ago

The notion of the sequester originated with the White House, but it could not have gotten through without republican support. Why so pissy today?

Ihope4albany 11 months ago

Jacob, Jacob, Jacob,

I did not know they taught these things to kindergarteners such as yourself. Really, you seem to have soiled your diaper and are not only grumpy, but stinky too.

I hope you get a change real soon; you smell terrible!!!

Sister_Ruby_Two 11 months ago

ihope.......you're smelling the diarrhea of your mind.

erudite 11 months ago

not my messiah; I have no messiah. Nice to know that you are a repubican---only and always interested in what MY uterus is doing. Why don't you just continue dreaming that you might ever touch a woman.

KaosinAlbany 11 months ago

I wonder if I know you. High five to you, erudite. Tell these idiots off!!!

VSU 11 months ago

Typical Dumbocrat, blaming the Republicans. the sequester was the idea of Obumya, not the republicans. You're the one that doesn't have a clue. Both parties may be to blame, but your messiah came up with it.

VSU 11 months ago

Nah, you are the one that doesn't have a clue.

Jacob 11 months ago

"I HAVE NO MESSIAH!!! He hoped, foolishly, that the repubs would get a clue. Nope, still no clue. They passed it, not O."

Face it kitten, they called his bluff. You and your libtard girlfriends know it to be true. Looks like your mandingo warrior laid yet another egg, huh? LOL, You are cute when you throw a hissy in print. BTW, you're right about one thing, though. You have no messiah. I'm sure its disappointing to finally face that reality. Don't fret, though, sane people will fix you all's mess come next election cycle.

Sister_Ruby_Two 11 months ago

AND O'BAMA'S STRATEGY HAS BEEN TO DO THE STUPIDEST, MOST OBVIOUSLY PAINFUL AND INNOCUOUS THINGS WHICH WAS GLEEFULLY BLAMED ON "SEQUESTER CUTS" BY HIS ACCOMPLICES COMBINED WITH THE SECOND PRONG OF THE IDIOTIC O'BAMA PLAN WHICH WAS TO CONSTANTLY BLAME SEQUESTER ON REPUBLICANS WHICH THE INFATUATED MEDIA GLADLY REPEATED EVEN THOUGH THE IDEA ORIGINATED IN THE WHITE HOUSE.

KaosinAlbany 11 months ago

Quit screaming!!! You do know all caps in bold is screaming, right?

Ihope4albany 11 months ago

Congress is to blame for all of this mess. The Republicans have made a mockery of this country.

I hope they are satisfied. Obama will go down as the greatest President of all times. In 8 short years, he will have had to endure almost 400 years of pent-up frustration of people who never wanted this country to be a country for all people, but only for wealthy, white, male landowners.

Do the research on policies in this country. Any policy contrary to favoring wealthy, white, males always gets criticized.

People better recognize, white privilege is only privilege for wealthy, white, males. Then, the rest of the country is pitted against each other while they go laughing to the bank.

One day, some of us will be free.

VSU 11 months ago

You've been smoking too much of that dangerous stuff, Obumya is the worst president this country has ever had, Surpassing Jimmy Carter.

Sister_Ruby_Two 11 months ago

Wow, the diarrhea of the mind continues unabated............

"Cleanup on Section 8!"

Now that ASU has finished its "Academic" year, I guess ihope will be free from having to prepare for their "Black Liberation Theology" classes and "Reverend Jeremiah Wright: Great American" classes and we will be recipients of their perverse and twisted ideas every ten minutes this summer.

Ihope4albany 10 months, 4 weeks ago

I love Albany because it is rich in confirmations for B.F. Skinner and Ivan Pavlov. My dissertation is going to be rich with all of the responses that I get from these postings. Now, I have learned that there are three predominantly black institutions in Albany. My understanding is that Albany State University is the historical black college. Then, there is Darton State College, which is a predominantly black college now because the majority of white people have left the city and the only way for it to survive is to get black students that it previously did not want at its school. Then, Albany Technical College is the trade school for the majority of the community's underclass where the population is predominantly black.

Thus, this city has deep issues with denying that it is a predominantly black city. My research will be ground breaking because Albany is one of the poorest areas in the country. These posts help to show the context of deep seated racism that is alive and well in the southern U.S.

I regret that I will no longer post as a participant observer due to the facebook format coming next week.

So, I want to especially thank you Sister Ruby and Sister Ruby Two because you will get a whole section by yourself, of course under a different name, perhaps - Wow, diarrhea of the soul!

I wish you well and never mind what erudite said; it was woefully misguided.

Sister_Ruby_Two 10 months, 4 weeks ago

I'm sorry that you think you need white people in order for black people to succeed. What kind of racism is that?

OUTsiderLookingINalbany 11 months ago

WOW, racist much? It is all about race with you people down here in SWG? It is the 21st century. Ihope4Albany, drop the whole race thing, it is EXTREMELY wore out. My family came from Ireland in the 1920's. Why should I be at a disadvantage due to some stuff that happened 150 years ago? Where I work it is mandatory to hire minorities, EVEN if they are not qualified and are the most horrible workers in the WORLD (literally)!!! If your a white male, you have to go above and beyond to get noticed due to all the federal laws and regulations. If your a halfway intelligent black man then prepare to get a ride on the gravy train. From my own experience black people are the most racist people. Want an example? Listen to the black radio stations and compare them to the country stations. Listen to how many times through-out the day that the black station mentions either the word BLACK or AFRICAN-AMERICAN. Then compare that to how many times the country station mentions ANYTHING about race. It is like a 1000 to 0 ratio. Black people are the ones holding on to the race issues, not whites. Oh, and remember the POTUS election? WOW, racism everywhere in Albany.... From the blacks.

OUTsiderLookingINalbany 11 months ago

And why do you feel that Obama is the greatest president of all time? Specific examples please. The reason I ask is b/c I cannot, for the life of me, see ONE example of him being a good President, let alone the GREATEST!

Sister_Ruby_Two 11 months ago

They meant He's the greatest half-black president of all time. I think we can all agree on that.

OUTsiderLookingINalbany 11 months ago

Haha, thanks for the clarification Sister. In that case he is the worst president but the best half-black president.

Ihope4albany 10 months, 4 weeks ago

No such chance. I must be like John crying in the wilderness until those who need to hear will hear. For you see, it is not about black people because Native Americans and Mexican Americans have had atrocities to happen as well. As a matter of fact, people of color all over the world have been tremendously exploited.

IT IS ABOUT HOW RACE HAS BEEN USED AS A SCAPEGOAT FOR THE RICH TO KEEP GETTING RICHER. Because every time a statement such as this one is made, it helps to confirm that the scapegoat system is working.

So never mind that the benefits gained from the black genocide and holocaust in the new world created the financial infrastructure for the U.S. to become the superpower that it has so your family could come here in the 1920s and benefit too.

Do tell whether your family in the 1920's were ever made to be animals???? Who made anyone God with the power to strip away any groups humanity. [Look at the Australian example of what they did to the aboriginal people and how they are atoning for their sins]. Do tell whether your family in the 1920s were considered 3/5s of a human being???? Do tell were your family members ever burned alive because they had white skin???? Do tell were your family members hung because they had white skin???? Do tell were your female family members studded (raped) to produce a herd of slaves???? Do tell were your family members systematically denied being able to read, to marry, to have a whole family, to worship, to find work, to not be terrorized????

So my friend, it is not black people holding onto to the truth of the past that is the problem; the problem is that the descendents of those who created the problems in past and internationals benefiting from the past who feel they have no responsibility to address it. Seemingly ignoring the truth is easier.

ProgressiveAtheist 11 months ago

Thank you for adding some sanity to this thread.

Sister_Ruby_Two 11 months ago

"One day, some of us will be free" when God Almighty takes your POV and throws it in the Pit of Hell where it belongs, yeah?

agirl_25 11 months ago

The Base will probably find the money. Hold on....just wait and see.

Sister_Ruby_Two 11 months ago

Anybody from the Herald staff looking for "Flags" from this?

rock 11 months ago

Wow! All this because of cancelled fireworks! Budget woes for the military extend well beyond cutting community events. Combat training is being minimized or even stopped. Ships are not going to sea. Beans, bullets and Band-Aids are being cut. Massive amounts of personnel will be released from active duty and our enemies are taking on attack postures. Stopping a fireworks show is nothing in the overall scheme of things.

Where is you uproar over Benghazi, the IRS, or Obama denying . Col. Davis is doing the best he can, but with his budget cut, 4 criminalinvestigations and assets being returned from Afghanistan fireworks just don't mean a thing.

erudite 11 months ago

Have to agree Rock. Caring about real issues would mean literacy and critical thinking skills outside of Faux news. I don't think it will ever happen here in the 18th century.

erudite 11 months ago

Where is the rapture when you need it?

VSU 11 months ago

Obama has already raped us.

erudite 11 months ago

So your messiah is coming to rape you? wow, never knew that is what you xtians meant.

agirl_25 11 months ago

Now that is a good one erudite....hahaha.....am enjoying your exchanges.

VSU 11 months ago

You mean you are enjoying her ignorance, because her exchanges have been weak, just like her mind. She's been out in the heat too long and summer is still a month away.

agirl_25 11 months ago

I said "I AM ENJOYING YOUR EXCHANGES".....sorry...meant that to be YOUR as in her's and your's. I find them fun to read. Let me rephrase that -- "haha good ones VSU, I am enjoying your exchanges"...or how about.."haha...good ones you two, I am enjoying your exchanges." In other words, it gives me a laugh....something I enjoy - - laughing in this awful world we live in. OK? And let me tell you what gives me even more pleasure - - imagining what the person on the other end of the post looks like. Now that adds even more pleasure to my reading. For instance, sometimes when I read a volley like the recent one between you two, I imagine how the writers must look, whether they have an angry look on their face, or a smug one. On here I have imagined one poster to look like one of the California raisens from the old TV ad of years ago...the dancing one, remember? Now THAT makes me laugh. As I said, in this miserable world we live in, it is good to have something that can make laughter...for isn't the old saying "laughter is the best medicine"?

VSU 11 months ago

Obumya is your messiah idiot, not mine, he's raped us out of our money, giving to those sorry lazy people that don't want to work.

erudite 11 months ago

I thought that jesus dude was your messiah.

VSU 11 months ago

No that Allah dude is your messiah.

erudite 11 months ago

Look dip stick, I have no messiah, no one but me is going to save my behind. The correct complement to the jesus dude is mohammed; get it right, OK?

stc1993 11 months ago

mohammed, the great pedophile.

erudite 11 months ago

says a believer in an illegitimate son of an adulteress who never held a job, hung out with only guys and hookers and who also rose from the dead. Lame.

Shinedownfan 11 months ago

erudite has the dumbest and most offensive comments I have ever read on this site. The herald staff really should put her on the "moderator" list. I mean, "f-tard" and "be-atch"? and "get behind anyones car, in the blind spot"? How hateful can someone be?

VSU 11 months ago

And the herald has the nerve to moderate you, go figure.

Shinedownfan 11 months ago

I'm so glad the herald removed the comments i mentioned above. Hope erudite is now on the moderator list. Seems like i will be on there forever. My comments are so tame too...

KaosinAlbany 11 months ago

I saw nothing offensive other than others on here getting offensive with Erudite. Is it because he/she doesn't believe in God? If that is the case, neither do I so ban me too. lmao Some people need to get a clue that not everyone is alike and that the Atheist people are here to stay.

Jacob 11 months ago

"the Atheist people are here to stay"

Actually, none of us are here to stay. That's why the athiests are going to be so surprised...

erudite 11 months ago

Um, Jacob, atheists and agnostics (those who do not profess to know, like me) will have to wait until we are dead to know. Atheists know we are not here to stay but believe we become dead, just dead. No pearly gates, no open arms, just worms and body gases. Agnostics know they may be wrong and are quite open about saying so; those who are blinded by a light cannot even fathom that they may be wrong. Maybe it is the believers who will be surprised.

Just critically think once, just once.

VSU 11 months ago

Oh so Kaos you didn't see the part where erudite called Sister a bitch, a MF and hoped she got ran over by a car? Maybe not, the moderator removed some of her comments.

just tit-for-tat VaginaStateU...

VSU 11 months ago

Stay out of the sun, the heat is too much for you.

erudite 11 months ago

stay out of GA you mean as the hate is too much for me.

erudite 11 months ago

Oh, Kaos, ask VSU why I wrote so vehemently. Seems like you received part of the story.

erudite 11 months ago

Are you kidding me? My goodness, are you blind as well as ignorant? Sister Ruby is not prejudiced and hateful? You are not hateful and prejudiced? you just showed your hate and prejudice by your comments to me. VSU....all the comments about Obama and all the versions of his name? Democrats and all of those versions? And I am hateful? Please. EBT cards and lazy no-workers b/c it's easier to be on the dole? Really?

VSU 11 months ago

You are only kidding yourself with your own prejudice, but sometimes the Truth hurts doesn't it? Stay out of the sun, the heat is getting to you and it's not even summertime yet, and your comments are weak.

erudite 11 months ago

OK VaginaState...since you seem to be the intelligent representative of the area...

VSU 11 months ago

I might add, unlike you, I wasn't the one that called you a b-tch and a M-F like you did Sister Ruby, and I didn't hope you got ran over by a car like you wished on Sister Ruby, so don't sit there and act like you are some innocent little angel. Typical attitude, it's always the other person, but no surprise, no surprise at all.

Thank you goatbreath for that VaginaState comment, you helped prove my point. Like they say, if you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen.

erudite 11 months ago

No innocent angel here; don't believe in them. I am testing the moderator's patience!!

Parent 11 months ago

Wow! All of these comments over fireworks being canceled?? Really people? Get a life!

agirl_25 11 months ago

Yes, I find them funny and fun to read but don't tell anyone I said that, OK? It sure breaks up my dull day when two or more get on a rant. Well depends on who is ranting. Some I don't bother with. Ho Hum.

Somebody 11 months ago

Gee erudite, you need to grow up and stop acting like an 8 year old juvenile. Your comments reek of immaturity. You're stooping down to the same level as bubbasmithredneck, makes me wonder if you two are the same person.

Go be somebody, OK?

Sally_O 11 months ago

You are still spitting out your childish ramblings, why not move on? it seems everyone else has, you are the only one left talking to yourself, what a weirdo.

Jacob 11 months ago

"There are very few 8 year old juvenile in this area that can a) read, b) spell, c) care."

LOL. I bet there are quite a few with better grammar. Shouldn't you be getting supper ready for your husband? If you bring him a beer, I be he won't even care that you have a filthy mouth and poor grammar.

erudite 11 months ago

misogyny from the Jacob...ooh, I'll add the 's' to juvenile and an 'and' between b) and c). Does that make you feel better?

erudite 11 months ago

And a child shall leaf them.

Sister_Ruby_Two 11 months ago

You smoking some good leaf, e. Too bad you got no gas in the tank.

OUTsiderLookingINalbany 11 months ago

erudite, why not bring something worth value to the argument?

erudite 11 months ago

Like what....a rant against blacks or EBT users or guns or pick up trucks or baggy pants or no fireworks or ?

Abytaxpayer 11 months ago

Funny I get put on the "Your content has been submitted for moderator approval" list for months now because I dared suggest someone should pull up his pants and get a job. Erud spews her crap like a true New Yorker and is still posting even bragging she is "Testing the moderator.....

erudite 10 months, 4 weeks ago

Wow, who am I? VSU has me being a black female teacher and you have me as a New Yorker. I am female, that is where the accuracy is.

Get a clue: not all whites are the same; not all blacks are the same; NOBODY IS THE SAME...

agirl_25 11 months ago

Our retiree newsletter we get from MCLB said the program this year is not going to be open to the public, whether or not they have fireworks. It is only going to be open to those who are active duty, retirees or civilians working at the base, (and family members) according to the newsletter. I also noticed yesterday when we went on base that they are really committed to security...lots of new fences and barriers and only one lane to enter the base on Fleming Road.

FryarTuk 10 months, 4 weeks ago

The above thread is clinical evidence of mass psychosis discussed by Sigmund Freud and ignorance on the scale described by Erskine Caldwell.

Ihope4albany 10 months, 4 weeks ago

I still hope that someone will seriously look at history and see if it is not true that the richest (who I will not describe by gender and race) get richer by keeping the poor and so called middle class (everyone else practically who don't happen to be males and white) distracted by stuff. So the scapegoats keep getting blamed for systems that they had no opportunity to create or shape.

So the true psychosis is the DENIAL of those who have been tricked by the rich and their subconscious DISPLACEMENT against those just trying to survive the misery caused by the rich!!!!

Sister_Ruby_Two 10 months, 4 weeks ago

There is none so blind as he who will not see. To me, you are no-hope because you blame everything on somebody else. Take off your blinders then take a drive on the South Side and count the people sitting out on their front porches waiting for the mail man to bring them their checks. Then read the Births section and count the babies born without daddies to help take care of them. THEN you MIGHT begin to understand the REAL problem and the REAL thing that keeps the poor keeping poor. But I think you're really no-hope because you have NO ANSWERS.............ONLY EXCUSES which perpetuate the problems and the lifestyles.