Albany to give dog ordinance more bite

Pit bull owners will have more restrictions placed on their animals under a proposed new city ordinance.

COURTESY TUMBLR

COURTESY TUMBLR

ALBANY — Albany City Commissioners plan to convene the city's Citizens Advisory Committee to discuss a new dangerous dog ordinance that would come with more teeth.

Ward IV Commissioner Roger Marietta proposed adding an element to the city's current ordinance that puts restrictions specifically on owners of the pit bulldog breed.

"That is a breed that has a proven propensity to bite," Marietta said. "We haven't seen a whole lot of it around here, but there are news items from all over the country of little kids being mauled by pit bulls.

"I have constituents who feel they have a legitimate safety concern, and they've asked us to look into doing more to protect them from these dangerous dogs."

City Attorney Nathan Davis said the city's current ordinance categorizes an animal as a "dangerous dog" if it bites someone or causes injury. He said he's already begun work on an updated ordinance that would, among other things, require pit bull owners to register their animals, provide specific enclosures for them and require the owner to maintain insurance or a surety bond against the possibility of a pit bull attack.

"The (state) Legislature has authorized (local governments) to enact more stringent ordinances against dangerous dogs," Davis said.

The commission voted to approve Ward V Commissioner Bob Langstaff's suggestion that the Citizens Advisory Committee discuss the issue and make a recommendation. Marietta asked if the language of any new legislation should mention specific breeds.

"It should apply to all dangerous dogs, including poodles," Ward VI Commissioner Tommie Postell said.

The commission opened its Tuesday session with a special called meeting to vote on requests for one-day alcohol license applications by Mack's Miracles Inc. Saturday at the Albany Civic Center and the Lily Pad SANE Center Thursday at the Merry Acres Event Center. Both were approved, as was an alcohol license application for the Gas Up business at 1400 N. Jefferson St.

Shirley Ingram with the city's Community and Economic Development department recommended local Community Development Block Grant funding for the top five-scoring applicants, among them: Open Arms Inc. ($15,000), a year-round YMCA program at Martin Luther King Elementary School ($10,000), Alzheimer's Outreach Center of Southwest Georgia ($10,000), Mt. Zion Community Reinvestment Samaritan Clinic ($25,000) and Liberty House ($15,000).

The commission also tentatively approved funding for an annual contract with the Albany Humane Society ($246,365), janitorial work at the Southwest Georgia Regional Airport by LRL Ventures & Management ($43,543.45), 15 Albany Police Department Dodge Police Interceptors ($342,675) and equipment packages for the vehicles ($70,064.55), a Public Works sewer inspection camera system ($171,997.95) and equipment and training for an Albany Fire Department-sponsored dive team (56,785.)

Comments

erudite 1 year, 3 months ago

And I need to be moderated? I would love to have that dog. He is cute.

Sister_Ruby_Two 1 year, 3 months ago

He'd be even cuter tearing up in the seat of your baggy pants

erudite 1 year, 2 months ago

lobotomated? what the heck is that?

Sister_Ruby_Two 1 year, 2 months ago

If you don't know..................you might already be there................

ScubaGolfJim 1 year, 3 months ago

Maybe Timmie Potsell should supply the numerous news stories of these dangerous poodle attacks maiming and killing kids and adults to justify his declaration. I'm sure that once he proves the need for these "dangerous poodles" to be mentioned by breed alongside pit bulls, he can then supply the accounts of the multitude of vicious and deadly chihuahua attacks as well. In computer tech terminology, we have an ID-10-T error occurring. Also known as a chair-to-keyboard interface device malfunction.

Jacob 1 year, 3 months ago

Wise men talk because they have something to say. Stupid men talk because they have to say something. Mr. Postell.....

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 1 year, 3 months ago

Kind of like a "biological user interface error?"

iamu 1 year, 3 months ago

When will people learn it is not the dogs but the humans that cause the problems.

FryarTuk 1 year, 3 months ago

"Postell accused the YMCA of using "discriminatory" practices in selecting MLK for its program, but Economic Development officials said the school was the only one to apply for the funds." Not to belabor the point but I would like to know the basis of Postells' accusation. Would/could the author of the news item please elucidate further?

MRKIA 1 year, 3 months ago

I'M WITH YOU ON THIS. AS MIKE TYSON WOULD SAY: IT'S LUDICROUS.

KaosinAlbany 1 year, 3 months ago

Yes, me too! I would love to know as well.

eulafrey 1 year, 3 months ago

Since when does the media accurately track the number of dog bites? I would recommend that you educate yourselves before jumping into the legislative process and using biases that are created by the media as your guide to ban dogs based on breed. When I speak of education, I mean data that can be validated and verified. Otherwise, you could end up doing more harm than good. And cheers to Mr. Postell. Thank you for recognizing that any dog can bite and become vicious, no matter the size or breed.

Terry.Lewis 1 year, 3 months ago

My cousin lost a leg to a pack of vicious Pomeranians ...

eulafrey 1 year, 3 months ago

Were you aware that a baby died from a Pomeranian attack? (http://amarillo.com/stories/100900/usn_pet.shtml) And Poms scored lower than American Pit Bull Terriers in temperament testing performed by The American Temperament Test Society? (Poms=76.5%, Pit Bulls=86.8%) And, the number of American Pit Bull Terriers that were tested outnumbered the Poms 25 to 1. (http://atts.org/) Now my next question to you, Mr. Lewis, is can you accurately and definitively identify an American Pit Bull Terrier? The answer to the entire issue at hand is owner responsibility, not breed.

Terry.Lewis 1 year, 3 months ago

Maybe you are right. Perhaps we should euthanize the owner?

eulafrey 1 year, 3 months ago

Education of the owner. All dog owners. Let's not single out a particular breed as all dogs are reflections of their owners and their environment, similar to children and their upbringing.

ScubaGolfJim 1 year, 3 months ago

So having a bad attitude puts a pom on par with a pit bull as "dangerous?" Also, are you aware that you obviously didn't read the entire story to which you linked? Or are you just cherry-picking the parts you liked, like only the headline?

"Pomeranians are a breed of miniature canines that have a foxlike face, pointy ears and long, fluffy hair. The deputy said Pomeranian attacks are rare, especially compared to attacks by bigger dogs such as Rottweilers and pit bulls.

"Obviously it doesn't take much to kill a 6-week old baby but it's not something that happens with that breed," Solis said."

Pomeranian = 7 lbs Pit bull = 50 lbs

MRKIA 1 year, 3 months ago

1 DECENT SIZED PIT CAN KILL AN ADULT ESPECIALLY IF THE PIT CAN BRING THEM TO THE GROUND. A PACK OF PITS CAN KILL MOST ANYTHING.

eulafrey 1 year, 3 months ago

A pack of dogs, no matter what the breed can kill most anything. As well, one decent sized Lab can kill an adult, just as one decent size Husky can, and one Border Collie can, too. More people worldwide are killed by mosquitoes, "...mosquitoes transmitting malaria kill 2 million to 3 million people and infect another 200 million or more every year." (idph.state.il.us)

KaosinAlbany 1 year, 3 months ago

I have to agree with you, eulafrey. You are dead on.

ScubaGolfJim 1 year, 3 months ago

Maybe you should learn to use Google to research FACTS: "In the 8-year period from 2005 to 2012, pit bulls killed 151 Americans and accounted for 60% of the total recorded deaths (251). Combined, pit bulls and rottweilers accounted for 73% of these deaths." One search. Less than one second. 2nd link. (I figured you'd scream about the wikipedia 1st link) Read the details for yourself http://www.dogsbite.org/dog-bite-statistics-fatalities-2012.php

dickyboy 1 year, 3 months ago

I remember that Terrance.. he was interviewed by Matt Lauer in Boaz, Alabama....

Terry.Lewis 1 year, 3 months ago

It was a nasty scene. We finally took them down with baseball bats and a 1-iron.

erock 1 year, 3 months ago

I was on West Gordon some time ago and noticed a pit bull in a back yard chained to cinder blocks with a young man in the yard as well. I stopped and told the young man that if that dog was still chained to those blocks when I came back by, that I was going to call the police. Forty five minutes later I rolled back by and neither the dog nor that boy was anywhere around but the cinder blocks still were. Apparently he got the message.

chinaberry25 1 year, 3 months ago

The only thing about a pit bull when he does decide to latch on, it is next to impossible to make him let go. That scares me the most. I have nothing against pit bulls, but I do not get in a pis... match with one either. Much like the teenagers in school.

KaosinAlbany 1 year, 3 months ago

A lot of dogs bite kids because the kids torment them and when a pit is chained in the heat and has little kids picking on it what the heck else do you think that pit is going to do? Roger, go get a clue and how about talking to dog owners instead of people scared of their own shadow.

I am sorry, but I have many friends with pit bulls who are responsible owners and their dogs don't go and attack anyone. It is how they are raised, whether they are inbreed or not, and plus the conditions the dog live in.

I have been bit by a cocker spaniel but I still love the breed. Those dogs are known to bite too. This story is bulls@%%%#!!

KaosinAlbany 1 year, 3 months ago

I would much rather see a panhandling ordinance in place instead of this ordinance. The panhandlers are much more of a nuisance in my opinion.

KaosinAlbany 1 year, 3 months ago

Wait... didn't they send the cat issue to the Citizen's Advisory Board to review too and still nothing was done after their recommendation?

lowercasejesus 1 year, 3 months ago

Ok Iamu- you r wrong. Unlike man, all dog breeds were not created equal. Some have behaviors bred into them that r closer to undomesticated animals like lions bears wolves ect. For all the pitbull owners crying foul, you did know the dangers of pitbulls and their history of viciousness before you got your dog right? This issue isnt that hard to understand. We have a hard enough time controlling dangerous people much less their pitbulls. Im not gonna trust that the owner will be responsible bc ive seen the oposite over n over n over.....good job albany government.

KaosinAlbany 1 year, 3 months ago

Any dog has the potential to bite or attack. Every dog owner must be aware of that but responsible pet ownership should be implemented more instead of singling out a certain breed. I do not own a pit bull but a small dog but I still think singling out a certain breed is the wrong way to go about it.

ScubaGolfJim 1 year, 3 months ago

There is a bit of difference between "biting" someone and "killing" someone, wouldn't you agree?

waltspecht 1 year, 3 months ago

Any dog ordanance should address all dogs, not just selected breeds. In my life I have seen the results of inbreeding (Puppy Mills). They resulted in the spat of Doberman's attacking people, then the Saint Bernards. When they first became popular, and weren't bred down, Rootweilers were very dangerous to any strangers. As to so called Pit Bulls. For the most part they are part Terrier, a dog strongly bred with the desire to chase and kill. German Shepards had their run at being considered super vicious. Growing up we considered a German Shepard, Collie cross the most dngerous as far as killing Deer, sheep, ducks and chickens. Proportionally they probably represented 2/3 of the dogs that were destroyed in the act. So how can you single out a single breed? If one owner has to take these precautions, then all dog owners should have to follow the same route. Kind of like the minimal insurance required on a car, have a minimal on the Dog. The insurance companies will be glad to sort out the specific costs per breed. So for once I believe Tommy Postel is correct. As to visious Poodles, I can't even remember the number my Mother-inlaw's ankle biters lit into. All with the potential of injury and disease. Now, I have an Austraklian Shepard. She is secured, spayed, and has her own fenced yard to play in. There are appropriate signs and warnings posted. Plus my Homeowner's insurance covers her. Why shouldn't every other dog owner be required to do the same

Nous_Defions 1 year, 3 months ago

Walt, I agree but we have some homes in our neighborhood that are rental houses. There is a new family that moved in a home 3 streets north of us who owns and walks an agressive dog. Should that dog get loose and attack, I doubt they have liability insurance to cover the damage that dog might cause. I wonder how that could be addressed?

KaosinAlbany 1 year, 3 months ago

Reporting to the people who own the property. They would be the ones to get sued over it and have to kick out the people who live there.

erock 1 year, 3 months ago

In Valley Alabama a few years ago, an elderly lady who lived there her entire life, went out for her evening walk like she did every evening. Minding her own business, less than a block away from her house, she was attacked and killed by a pit bull. Kids are not the only ones at risk here. I love dogs myself and have personally never had a bad experience with a pit, but I do know they have a track record.

VSU 1 year, 3 months ago

I hear of more attacks by pit bulls than I do any other breed, but with that being said, other dogs could do the same thing. Just like humans, a lot depends on how they are raised. Most children that are raised poorly likely grow up being violent trouble makers, and a dog is no different, if they are taught and brought up to be mean, then they are more likely to become dangerous and vicious.

KaosinAlbany 1 year, 3 months ago

Who are the citizens who make of the Citizens Advisory Board? I would love to know if they actually go and talk to other citizens before making a decision. I would like to know if their decisions are in fact informed decisions.

Shinedownfan 1 year, 3 months ago

I have always been against pit bull terriers because of what I have heard about them. A couple I know, have this amazing dog. She is the sweetest, cutest thing, and I fell in love with her... come to find out she is a pit bull. I was shocked. This wonderful dog is nothing like I imagined. This dog changed the way I feel about pit bulls. It has got to be the owners... I agree with Terry... maybe we should euthanize the owner instead.

ScubaGolfJim 1 year, 3 months ago

I have a friend with a large rottweiler. Dog loves me, and would, no doubt, attack and kill someone else under various circumstances.

BTW... the proposal does not prevent ownership of the breed. It puts certain restrictions in place to ensure that the owners of the breed are responsible for any attacks made by their dog, that they are aware of the inherent dangers (read - inbred in the breed for hundreds of years) associated with the breed, and that they are able to pay for damages (maiming, killing, etc) done by their dogs.

You take care of the big problems first. I'd say putting restrictions on the ownership of the one breed responsible for 60% of dog attack deaths is a good first step in the right direction.

erudite 1 year, 3 months ago

Hey Roger, why don't you just have them wear a yellow star? Isn't your desire to ban specific breeds (there is a national organization to thwart this) very close to eugenics? Will you be voting for the ability to pick and choose genetic codes for fetuses in utero?

ScubaGolfJim 1 year, 3 months ago

Hey erudite, why don't you know the difference between "ban" and "restrictions?" You know, the part where...

"He said he's already begun work on an updated ordinance that would, among other things, require pit bull owners to register their animals, provide specific enclosures for them and require the owner to maintain insurance or a surety bond against the possibility of a pit bull attack."

VSU 1 year, 3 months ago

Pay no attention to erudeidiote, she's always making stupid comments like this. I think she is kin to blubbasmithredneck.

erudite 1 year, 3 months ago

My fault; typing too quickly. But what would VSU do without my posts?

VSU 1 year, 2 months ago

Clap my hands? ah erudite, you know I like you.

lowercasejesus 1 year, 3 months ago

Hey i know a sweet cuddly cute grizzly bear. Why should we have special laws protecting us from grizzlies?

"All dogs can bite a person. So why should we single out pits?" OK if thats your pro pitbull argument, you will never be able to wrap your mind around this issue. Theres dumb and then theres so dumb youd risk a kids face being ripped off bc you once met a sweet pit bull.... Good for you. Youll come around sooner or later. Ask someones whos been attacked.