Squawk of the Day - May 23, 2013

"People that support a balanced budget amendment do understand economics, and we live in the real world not fantasy land where you can borrow all the money you want and it never has to be repaid."

Squawks are submitted by the public and do not necessarily represent the opinion of The Albany Herald.

Comments

Abytaxpayer 1 year, 5 months ago

But Albany is a fantasy land where you can borrow all the money you want and it never has to be repaid....Just call EDC they will set you up with "Free" money

waltspecht 1 year, 5 months ago

No one wants to bite the bullet and lose their income or job while the loans are repaid. I say income, because the first cuts should be Charity when there is no money to support it. That would be those on the Public Dole. The jobs should be the cushy governmental positions that are way overpaid, but it won't happen. The average working employee would take the hit because those cushy job people are the ones we are dumb enough to allow to make the call.

VietVet1 1 year, 5 months ago

FIRST - cut politicans that can't balance budget. SECOND - NO Forign Aid! THIRD- cut 80% of the non-profit groups. FOURTH - cut 80% from welfare. FIFTH - NO family member of politican allowed to profit from taxpayers.

WOW! I see us in the black now!

jglass 1 year, 4 months ago

waltspecht and VietVet1............I don't think anyone can say it any better!!!

chinaberry25 1 year, 4 months ago

Amen! I am getting scared to live in this country. Crooked politicians, government employees and violence. Not to mention celebs who think they too are above the law. Make fun of the other parties that had nothing to do with be a freak of nature. What have we evolved to? I read somewhere is all depends on what dog you choose to feed, evil or good. Today that evil dog is getting fat. Commons sense is out the door, and supposedly unemployment is down, but I bet you see entitlements is on the way up.

Amazed2 1 year, 4 months ago

I was looking at WAlB online and realized just how much money the City of Albany is on the Hook for related to Albany Heights!! TWO MILLION $$$$$ as in $2,000,000. Wow no frigen wonder taxes are so damm high. And that's just the starting point Now the City owns the complex and has to take care of the complex. I'm sure the renters have a list of wants and needs to demand from the City. And the City will pay up. If not then the residents will get a local lawyer to invoke lawsuits.

Amazed2 1 year, 4 months ago

Don't worry though maybe Cutliff can take it over!!

lowercasejesus 1 year, 4 months ago

Economics should be taught in schools from middle school on. I think it would open peoples eyes.

FryarTuk 1 year, 4 months ago

What is a balanced budget? Offer some examples.

erock 1 year, 4 months ago

The day I got my first weekly allowance for doing my chores, was my first lesson in economics. Why is it so hard for our leaders, of all people who by the way claim to have a college degree to understand that you can't spend more than you bring in. If I were to try to pass a bad check, I would be arrested as would most anyone else. Start holding those accountable that fail to uphold their end of the bargain.