Albany woman attacked by pit bull

Photo by J.D. Sumner

Photo by J.D. Sumner

ALBANY, Ga. — The Albany Police Department has reported that a woman was bitten by a pit bull-type dog Thursday as she was walking on the 500 block of Eighth Avenue.

About 1:08 p.m., Cindy Myrick, 43, told police she was approached by the dog, which bit her on her right knee. Officials say Myrick was transported to the hospital for treatment.

According to the APD, animal control agents searched the area for the dog, but it had not been located Thursday evening. Officials say the dog’s name is Devo, and unspecified charges against its owner are pending.

Comments

waltspecht 1 year, 6 months ago

I hate to say it, but between Foxes biting children in school yards, dog attacks of all sorts and robberies in general. I believe those that don't have a CCW need to stay in their car or home where they might be safe. Those that do have a CCW and are proficient in the weapon they carry had best load up with safety ammo and protect themselves and their fellow citizens. There aren't enough Police to handle all these situations.

chinaberry25 1 year, 6 months ago

I did have a pit bull try to attack my dog in Crisp Co. in a church cemetery. She was not an aggressive one thank God. I had to hold her wedged in my car door to hold her from getting in my car after my dog. I wish I had had a taser. Going to get me one for I do not want to kill what I can taze. Pepper spray would have been just as good.

Thurman 1 year, 6 months ago

Excuse me but--the Police know the name of the dog and the owner but between the Police and Animal Control they cannot find the dog? I don't buy that one. Arrest the dog owner, charge them with "Obstruction of a criminal investigation", and hold them until the dog miracously shows up. But then again: This was in the 500 block of Eighth Ave. Some influential Albany residents live in that area and they might just own a pit bull named Devo.

Shinedownfan 1 year, 6 months ago

The Police put out a warrant for his arrest, so when they pick up Devo on a traffic violation, they will arrest him...

VSU 1 year, 6 months ago

What? Devo can drive a car? That's one talented dog. No wonder they can't locate him. He's probably heading for the Florida State line. Need to put in a APB lookout for Pit Bull driving a BMW or Mercedes. Hee! Hee! just messing with you SDF.

Shinedownfan 1 year, 6 months ago

I gave the APD name, number and address from a former employee who stole from us, they gave me "... we will pick him up during a traffic violation..." answer... I think this is Standard Operating Procedure for the APD.

Shinedownfan 1 year, 6 months ago

oh, I also sent you a message, via your profile page, so check your junk email, you might have something from the herald, it's from me.

KaosinAlbany 1 year, 6 months ago

This is going to get Marietta's panties in a wad. LOL

FryarTuk 1 year, 6 months ago

What is a "pit bull-type dog?"

erudite 1 year, 6 months ago

I wonder if this 'attack' would have happened had there been no hoopla about pit bulls.

lowercasejesus 1 year, 6 months ago

So how many attacks is too many before this breed is banned? There will be another attack next week and the week after and the week after and the week after....... But if u want to keep trusting that owners will do the right thing and pits will never escape their fence, sit there and do nothing

Abytaxpayer 1 year, 6 months ago

@ K maybe you should ask this mom about her family pet ....a well trained Pit....It KILLED her 2 year old....Make your excuses but Pit Bulls and not pets. I am one of those citizens who has screamed to ban pits from Albany. The city commission has sat on their asses because we have too many pit owners and TOO many bleeding hearts. Talk to me after you have been attacked then we will have something in common to discuss.