Albany police respond to Saturday aggravated assaults

Three aggravated assaults send at least one to hospital

Photo by J.D. Sumner

Photo by J.D. Sumner

ALBANY — Reports from the Albany Police Department Uniform Bureau show there were three aggravated assault incidents the agency responded to early Saturday, all within 30 minutes of each other.

Among them was an incident on the 600 block of West Society Avenue at 5:38 a.m. In that case, said Phyllis Banks, spokeswoman for the APD, officers responded in reference to a possible fight. Upon arrival, there was no fight found, but soon after receiving the call, a second call came into dispatch regarding a stabbing victim at Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital.

At the hospital, officers were told that Coolwaiskii Carter, 26, had been stabbed in the center of his chest. It was not immediately known how the stabbing occurred due to Carter having to be rushed into emergency surgery.

A hospital spokeswoman said Monday that Carter was in good condition.

Anyone with any information on this case is encouraged to call Crime Stoppers at (229) 436-TIPS (8477), or Detective Schemika Foster at (229) 431-3288.

Another aggravated assault was reported from 308 Grant Place, the site of Mt. Zion Apartments, at 5:28 a.m. on Saturday.

Banks said officers on the scene made contact with Michael Jones, 32, who had a flesh wound to the upper part of his left hand and a busted chin. Jones said he was standing outside on the phone when he heard what he thought was gun shots. He said he saw a thin man with a long gun shooting and walking towards him, and that he felt something and then fell to the ground.

He said he then jumped up, started running, jumped the fence and busted his chin, Banks said. There were no updates available on the incident Monday.

The third incident, Banks said, was reported on the 400 block of Watkins Avenue at 6 a.m. Officers responded to Phoebe North in reference to a stabbing, and upon arrival, contact was made with Jabarius White, 20, who said he was walking on the 400 block of Watkins Avenue in the alley when he saw five to seven females in a back yard.

Banks said he stated that one of them yelled at him and told him he was not supposed to be in the neighborhood because they did not know him, and that one of the girls punched him in the face and a second female struck him in the head and back with a high heel shoe.

He did have to get stitches in the top of his head, Banks said.