0

Fire Department reports attempted arson

ALBANY — Firefighters found an apparent attempt at arson, as well as burglary when they were called to 1924 S. Skylane Drive Monday.

According to fire officials, when they entered the residence shortly after 9 p.m., they discovered a bed sheet draped over one eye of the kitchen stove reaching all the way to the floor. In addition, cooking oil had been spread through the kitchen and into the living area, officials said.

According to a report by the AFD, the sheet had been burned, but was out when the fire units arrive.

Occupants told firefighters that they had been away from their residence for around three hours and returned when they heard their smoke detector going off, the fire report stated. When the residents entered the home they found the burned sheet and oil, and also several items missing, fire officials say.

The case remained under investigation Tuesday, fire officials said.