Sunday deaths in Albany ruled natural causes

ALBANY — Dougherty County Coroner Michael Fowler confirmed Monday afternoon that two deaths investigated by the Albany Police Department during the weekend were from natural causes.

The APD Robbery/Homicide Unit was called to the scene of two reported deaths on Sunday morning. The first was reported at unit 110 of the Mabry Motel, 375 N. Slappey Blvd., around 4:45 a.m. Officers responded to find a deceased male who appeared to have been in his 50s in the motel room, said Phyllis Banks, spokeswoman for the APD.

The victim was later identified as Ronnie Lamar Roney, 64. A narrative for the police report said a friend went to knock on the door and after there was no answer, an employee with the maintenance department opened the door to discover Roney’s body face down behind the door. The door was closed and the police were called, the report said.

The friend told officers he had last seen Roney alive when the two had a beer together the previous day, after which the victim was left in his room. Another officer at the scene noted in a supplemental narrative that Roney’s body had bruises and scratches in several different areas.

The second death was reported from 902 S. Maple St., Apt. A, around 9:30 a.m. Sunday. The deceased individual, initially described as a male in his 50s, was later identified as Horace Love, 55.

The narrative from the report said contact was made with a woman who said she had left with Love from the Mabry Motel. He went inside while she was outside smoking a cigarette. When she tried to go inside about 20 minutes later, the door was locked, so she went around the house, where she was able to look in the window and see Love on the bed. When access was gained into the house, Love was found to have no pulse.

When officers responded to the scene, there were several medication bottles on the dresser and a plastic bag containing more medication bottles on the floor, as well as broken glass on the floor on the side of the bed closest to the window, the report said.

Banks said the woman was taken in as a person of interest in Love’s death but was later released.