0

Fire damages south Albany home

Resident escapes fire unharmed

A Tuesday morning fire at 2324 S. Madison St. caused damage to the interior of the home, including the closet where the blaze originated, the adjoining hallway and the bedroom. (Staff Photo: Jim West)

A Tuesday morning fire at 2324 S. Madison St. caused damage to the interior of the home, including the closet where the blaze originated, the adjoining hallway and the bedroom. (Staff Photo: Jim West)

ALBANY — Albany firefighters responded to an early morning fire at 2324 S. Madison St. on Tuesday, where they were able to extinguish the blaze with a limited loss of value to the property, according to officers with the Albany Fire Department.

Annie Morrell was alone in her bedroom when she heard an unusual noise in the hall closet, she said. “When it started, I just heard a popping and went to check on what I was hearing,” Morrell said. “When I opened the (closet) door, there were flames inside.”

Morrell exited the structure without injury, she said, and called the Albany Fire Department.

“I thank God I was able to get out safely,” Morrell said. “I called the fire department and they came right out.”

While the outside of the home shows little evidence of the fire, the inside is a difference story. Charring is evident inside the walk-in closet where the blaze originated, as well as the adjoining hallway, bedroom, and even the pull-down ladder to the attic. Firefighters later determined a short in a closet light fixture to be the cause of the fire, officials say.

“There was really more heat damage than from the actual flames,” said Annie Morrell’s husband, Michael Morrell, who was not present during the fire.

A report by the Albany Fire Department estimates a property loss of about $10,000 due to the fire, with around $6,000 in ruined contents.