0

Georgia Briefs - Jan. 25, 2014

A fatal blaze in Donalsonville is ruled to have been accidental

Dezra R. Jones, 53, died in the fire at 600 S. Henderson Ave., Donalsonville. Fire investigators determined an electric space heater placed too close to a sofa started the blaze. (Special photo)

Dezra R. Jones, 53, died in the fire at 600 S. Henderson Ave., Donalsonville. Fire investigators determined an electric space heater placed too close to a sofa started the blaze. (Special photo)

Fatal Donalsonville fire accidental

ATLANTA —State officials have ruled that a fatal fire Thursday in Seminole County was accidental.

Insurance and Safety Fire Commissioner Ralph Hudgens said an investigation by his office into the early morning fire that killed Dezra R. Jones, 53, of Donalsonville, showed the blaze, which was reported at 10 a.m., was an accident.

Fire officials determined that the residence at 600 S. Henderson Ave. ignited because a space heater was placed too close to a sofa, causing it to catch fire. Hudgens said the home was a total loss.