ALBANY — One fire from over the weekend sent a person to the hospital, while another could potentially result in arson charges, officials with the Albany Fire Department said.
The fire that is believed to have been intentionally set took place at 1317 E. Society Ave., Apt. B, at 3:50 a.m. on Sunday.
“Someone set items on fire on the back door,” said Ron Rowe, deputy chief with the AFD. “A neighbor woke them up in time. There was damage to the back of the door, and we were able to put it out with a single hose.”
There was no immediate cost estimate on the damage. There were no injuries as a result of the incident, Rowe said.
The scene was photographed and the fire was still under investigation monday afternoon. It is possible that there will be charges brought against whomever did it, the deputy chief said.
“If (we find) it was done maliciously and we find them, there will be charges brought against them,” Rowe said.
Firefighters also responded to 1513 W. Lincoln Ave., Apt. A, around 9:45 p.m. on Saturday. A shift report from the AFD shows that several units responded and found light smoke showing from the front door of the residence. The report says that the occupant, Charles Jones, stated he was cooking when the cabinets caught fire — and was able to get the fire out with a pot of water and a rag.
Rowe said there was about $2,500 worth of damage to the home, and that it was believed the fire was the result of Jones leaving the stove attended.
“Don’t leave the kitchen while cooking,” he said. “Fifty percent of our fire calls (are from) unattended cooking fires.”
Rowe also said Jones burned his left hand, and that officials from the AFD were informed Monday morning that he had been transferred to the burn center in Augusta.