Easter is about celebrating the One who gives us hope that something better awaits us when this life is done. A miraculous day. A joyous day. That is what Easter is really about. I wish we would all remember that.
FAITH: Why be abrasive when witnessing to the love of God?
Because I was meeting a friend at the gate, I was subjected to this self-righteous verbal assault for 10 minutes, a man with a portable headset loudspeaker ensuring that nobody missed a single syllable. I was never so glad to see my friend finally appear.
OPINION: Faced with indifference, global warming alarmist raise the decibel level
The Obama administration and liberal politicians in general seem to promote climate change fiction in order to gain even more dominance over our lives. Apparently controlling one-sixth of the economy through Obamacare isn’t enough for them.
OPINION: During what many had hoped would be a post-racial America, racial division has been amplifie
The race cards have been flying so fast and furious lately, one can hardly tell the kings from the queens.
Although comparing women and men who are in fact comparable is not easy to do, when you look at women and men who are similar on multiple factors, the sex differential in pay shrinks drastically and gets close to the vanishing point. In some categories, women earn more than men with the same range of characteristics.
OPINION: Republics need a new strategy with 2016 on the horizon
The GOP’s strategy of alienating women and minorities doesn’t play well in presidential politics.
Bubba Watson’s Masters victory was sentimental
Herald guest columnist Loran Smith writes about Bubba Watson’s second Masters championship.
President Obama’s nominee to replace Sebelius, budget director Sylvia Burwell, might turn out to be better at fixing websites, but she doesn’t have the power to fix Obamacare. No one does because it is based on a weak foundation and the notion that government can do anything.
OPINION: Voluntary service is something that should cross political divides
AmeriCorps gives mostly young Americans a chance to spend a year helping communities and those in need while also nurturing thousands of organizations across the country. Senior Corps provides Americans over 55 a chance to serve, too.
OPINION: Stephen Colbert will take over The Late Show from David Letterman in 2015
By selecting Stephen Colbert as its marquee late-night talk host, CBS is not taking a swipe at the heartland of America, but bringing to the interview desk a comedian with a sharp wit who won’t be playing his “The Colbert Report” character.
OPINION: Americans spend more on taxes than their food, clothing and housing combined
It takes about a third of Americans’ income to satisfy their collective tax bill, which doesn’t cover repaying the money that the federal government borrows each year.
OPINION: The 50th anniversary of the Civil Rights Act comes at a confusing moment for America
The America that elected Obama is a very different place from the nation over which Johnson presided.
OPINION: Talk radio tries to build audience, not political majority
For Republicans to win general elections, they need conservative candidates who do not sound like bombastic talk radio hosts.
FEATURES COLUMN: even GPS devices can be directionally challenged
GPS devices lacking in essentials such as best pot for a potty break and where to pull over when you see blue lights flashing.
OPINION: Development master plan encompasses 115.7 acres of land, most along Flint River
Private-sector interest in a downtown Albany development plan has many in the community cautiously optimistic.
- Irony escapes Russian president
- Thumbs Up! April 14, 2014
- Georgians can celebrate Tax Freedom Day
- End-of-the-world eruption still a ways off
- Thumbs Up! April 7, 2014
- Dougherty School Board going by the book on selection process
- More focus needed on mental health for military
- Driving distractions can be deadly
- Thumbs Up! March 31, 2014
- We should be our brothers' keeper
Letters to the Editor
- MARCIA JOHNSON: Emergency medical team a blessing to patient, family
- WALT SPECHT: Vermont visits always enlighten
- JOHN BRYANT: Moving ahead is only backing up
- WARREN D. GRANT: Divert money from parks and the Civic Center to pay law enforcement better salaries
- SHARISSE KELLY: Law enforcement officers deserve higher pay
- BETTY MCDONALD: Death of Leola Williams a loss to family and co-workers
- JOHN BRYANT: Bill Clinton had strong economic record
- BOB LOGAN: Confederate memorial service set for Dougherty and Lee counties April 5
- WALT SPECHT: America should be worlds top manufacturer
- JOHN A. TAYLOR: Republicans run up bills for future generations
- Is the city set to kill the multimodal project? 1 comment
- Commissioners bid adieu to the mayor in their own unique fashion 3 comments
- First election prediction? There will be a runoff
- Edwards' little tax problem 2 comments