OPINION: Films can uplift or emphasize our inadequacies
Even with the best movies, there’s a risk-reward dynamic involved.
OLD ROCKER: Sedaka credited with writing more than 500 songs
Barry Manilow, one of the premier entertainers of the past 40 years, has announced that this is the last year that he will be touring.
FEATURES COLUMN: I saw myself in a sitcom, sort of
It was an intervention, an impromptu one, and as it unfolded on the popular syndicated comedy show I was watching a revelation came to me. That was me… sort of.
HEALTH & FITNESS: Kids participating in prolonged activity may benefit some from a sports drink
Along with the sweetness of energy drinks comes added calories. Most active kids don’t have to worry about this, but a if you have child who is inactive and likes sports drinks, you may need to intervene and suggest a glass of milk or water.
OPINION: A few flakes make D.C. bureaucrats call for office shutdowns
I love how snow disrupts daily life — particularly in Washington, D.C.
OPINION: Look in the mirror to see who is getting federal health subsidies
America’s senior citizens seem to (wrongly) believe that they have paid for their own health care and that therefore others should, too.
OPINION: Lawmakers are considering a resolution asking that the test be expelled from Georgia classrooms
The authors of the test say the AP U.S. History course is an advanced, college-level course — not an introductory U.S. history course — and is not meant to be students’ first exposure to the “fundamental narrative of U.S. history.” I think that is education-speak for saying kids should already know about George Washington and Abraham Lincoln and Ray Charles.
FAITH: Proposed legislation opens state up to potential lawsuits
A broad coalition of religious leaders (Jewish, Christian, Muslim, etc.) strongly oppose this ill-conceived intolerant bill. I spent a day in the Capitol a few weeks ago standing with a number of clergy who urged our legislators, for a second year, to abandon this end-around at intolerance and discrimination.
OPINION: Few things are more important to any community or business than transportation
While Georgia has continued to grow, our investments in transportation have not kept pace. Georgia needs more funding, and the longer we wait the more we will need.
FAITH: Five suggestions for aging gracefully
Who can say when one is no longer young?
OPINION: The outrage of bad Oscar awardings goes back nearly 40 years
I see where the Academy Awards have once again awarded best actor and best picture to some film, and to some folks, I’ve never heard of.
GUEST COLUMN: Georgia lags far behind other states in helping people with disabilities find employment
For individuals with developmental disabilities the typical choices after finishing high school — getting a job or going to college — are difficult, if not impossible. There are thousands of Georgians with developmental disabilities and the unemployment rate for that community is close to 87 percent.
SOWELL: Gulani vs. Obama
Against that background of strife and dangers on the world stage, it may seem as if Barack Obama’s feelings, or Rudolph Giuliani’s opinion about those feelings, should not matter so much, especially when it is hard to know with certainty how anyone feels
OPINION: Being a grown-up means not worrying about spoiled dinners
Being a grown-up means deciding your own candy intake.
OPINION: An the envelope please …
There’s nothing like a dreary day to bring to mind people and events that are disappointing.
- Thumbs Up!
- Scammers add stress to tax season
- Thumbs Up! Jan 26, 2015
- Thumbs Up! Jan. 19, 2015
- Time is now to address Georgia's transportation needs
- Another year, another scam
- Thumbs Up! Jan. 12, 2015
- France murders a sober reminder
- Is cooperation on the agendas of Congress and the White House?
- Light a candle to brighten 2015
Letters to the Editor
- PHILIP COLSON: Measles epidemic started at same time of flood of illegal children and adults
- RUBY BRITT: Marriage is defined by the Bible
- WALT SPECHT: Wild hogs seem to be taking to deer bait
- DUANE 'BANJO' DAVIS: American farmers most productive in the world
- STEVE MCCOY: Grand Island is an big asset to Lee County
- DENNIS ROLAND: Grand Island Club/Golf Course a drain on Lee County taxpayers
- WARREN D. GRANT: The numbers do not support prosperity claims
- GUY CRAFT: John White deserves praise from Albany
- DUANE 'BANJO' DAVIS: Give God a chance
- WARREN GRANT: Torture report was a big lie
- Is the city set to kill the multimodal project? 1 comment
- Commissioners bid adieu to the mayor in their own unique fashion 3 comments
- First election prediction? There will be a runoff
- Edwards' little tax problem 2 comments