THE OLD ROCKER: Philadelphia's Barry switched from successful athlete to singer
The combination of singing and writing and performing helped Len Barry increase his 1966 income to a whopping $3 million.
OPINION: Capital punishment opponents seem to forget about victims
When it comes to capital punishment, I’ll save my sympathy for criminals’ victims.
LIFESTYLES COLUMNIST: Family get-togethers always bring out the stories
I love family stories. I could sit around the kitchen table and listen to them over and over again. Except maybe a few of them. The embarrassing ones. The ones that Never. Go. Away.
HISTORY: The popular song "Jingle Bells" got its start in Savannah
Music is such a large part of Christams, but how well do you know the songs so often played this time of year?
HEALTH & FITNESS: Saying the wrong thing can demotivate
Whatever your opinion of fat shaming is, the research is very clear that stigma and discrimination against overweight people causes major psychological harm and makes the problem worse.
OPINION: Obama doesn't lift a finger to help Syrian refugees
Facing a massive failure of seven years of Democratic foreign policy stewardship, the GOP candidates have instead tried to outbid each other in being tough on Syrian refugees. This descent into xenophobia was led, as usual, by Donald Trump.
OPINION: The past couple of weeks have been a learning experience
Several of you got a chuckle over my recent observations on a survey from the College of Family and Consumer Sciences at the University of Georgia that says a good way to improve your marriage is to show gratitude to your spouse. As one reader told me, groveling doesn’t hurt, either.
OPINION: Conservatives are supposed to be against big government
Ohio governor and Republican presidential candidate John Kasich’s proposal to create a new government agency to promote “Judeo-Christian values” is a really bad idea.
OPINION: Immigration has become a weapon of foreign policy on the part of certain states
Until the advent of Donald Trump’s presidential candidacy, the word “immigration” tended to mean the controlled and more-or-less legal movement of one people to another country.
OPINION: The self-harming was unintentional but inevitable
The insurrection that has reduced Jeb Bush to single-digit support while Trump and Carson soar is nothing more than the understandable reaction of the jilted.
OPINION: Americans, as we know, love a holiday
It is Thanksgiving, so I suppose, at some time or another, we should be thankful for something.
THE DIXIE DIVA: Never wait until tomorrow
An email arrived in the middle of the night back in August. Its message was to tell me that my precious friend Randy Parks, one of the dearest friends of my life, was back in the hospital with congestive heart failure.
OPINION: Beware hate groups that hide negative causes behind religion
With all the world’s ills to choose from, some find evil in coffee cups and holiday greetings.
OPINION: I love the clarity of Thanksgiving
Allow me to pay tribute to the proud perspicacity of the plucky pilgrims in this pacific paean to our peculiar propensity for plumpish poultry on the 4th Thursday of November.
GEORGIA CLIPPINGS: A weekly look at home gardens and landscapes
With Thanksgiving only a day away, many of us express special thanks for the many blessings we have received and will receive. This is also the time of the year that everyone starts planning for Christmas decorations in our homes and communities.
- EDITORIAL: Bringing light to a dark winter
- EDITORIAL: Struggles figure in with thankfulness
- Thumbs Up!
- Thumbs Up! Nov. 9, 2015
- EDITORIAL: Jane Willson invested herself in the community
- Thumbs Up!
- EDITORIAL: Albany State University president acts quickly, decisively
- EDITORIAL: Back the Blue a needed sign of support
- Thumbs Up! Oct. 19, 215
- Homecoming a rosy one for Albany State University
Letters to the Editor
- BILL BATES: The job of education falls to the educators
- EZEKIEL HOLLEY: Medicaid expansion needed in Georgia
- DUANE 'BANJO' DAVIS: Unborn babies deserve humane treatment, too
- JACKIE POWELL: Patrons make yard sale fundraiser successful
- DAVID SHERMAN JR.: A world that is beauty-obsessed
- RON VARGO: Roger Marietta has been there when needed
- KERMIT S. DOROUGH JR.: Chad Warbington would be good steward
- TOM CONNELLY: Easter Seals provides critical services to those with disabilities
- FREDDIE POWELL SIMS: Roger Marietta is a champion for Ward 4 and Albany
- BOB LANGSTAFF: Chad Warbington best choice for Ward 4 commissioner
- Is the city set to kill the multimodal project? 1 comment
- Commissioners bid adieu to the mayor in their own unique fashion 3 comments
- First election prediction? There will be a runoff
- Edwards' little tax problem 2 comments