OPINION: A kind word or thoughtful deed can have lifelong impact
I’m sure you can name those that have made a positive difference in your life. If so, I hope they are still around so that you can tell them in case you haven’t already.
OPINION: What did the U.S. learn from the Vietnam War?
March 8, 1965 was the date that the first 3,500 U.S. combat Marines were dispatched to South Vietnam, and I wonder if any of us (isolationist, interventionist or in-betweener) have learned the right lessons over the past five decades.
OPINION: Prime Minister Shinzo Abe has shown shown what a modern-day leader can do
Seventy years after World War II, Japan is moving toward becoming a “normal” nation that operates its own military.
FAITH: Sometimes grumbling is what we do best
As individuals and as society, we grumble and complain so much that it brings us down, along with everybody else around us. Grumbling is one of the most insidious imprisonments of all.
FRIDAY JAM: Music fans show love for their favorite artists, venues
The Albany Herald’s Friday JAM section shines a light on local musical artists.
FAITH: A bad experience with a church has preacher leaving the ministry
I was preaching out of town and staying at a motel where breakfast comes with the price of the room. Sitting in the lobby early Sunday morning, I was drawn into conversation by the friendly, apron-clad man who was stocking the breakfast bar. When I told him I was a pastor, he responded, “I’m a preacher, too.”
OPINION: This is important stuff, more or less
Without a barrage of overtures to sell you stuff you didn’t know you needed and had gotten along quite well without, how would you make it through life?
OPINION: A history of generosity can become an expectation of benefit
Tanzania has a strong economic growth rate, recently recalculating its gross domestic product upward by 32 percent, near the low end of middle-income status. But the foreign share of health care spending is growing, while government spending — as a percentage of the total health effort — is declining.
OPINION: Some city employees settling into parking spaces for the day
City employees who claim on-street downtown parking spaces for the day threaten Albany’s more liberal parking law.
FILM COMMENTARY: A combination of technical brilliance and thematic relevance gives 'Birdman' wings
This is a story that speaks to many of us who once accomplished big things but have since fallen silent.
SHERIFF'S COLUMN: Work of Lt. Terron Hayes and Col. Sabrina Lewis highlighted
I am very fortunate to have many individuals at the Sheriff’s Office who work beyond their normal duties to make a difference in our community.
THE DIXIE DIVA: Knowledge stays alive, even after our parents are gone
There’s not a day goes by that I don’t think of Mama and do something the way she taught me to do it.
LEGISLATOR COLUMN: Transportation funding remains the big issue under the Gold Dome
Fine arts center for Albany State University is included in House budget for FY 2016, but still must make it through the Senate and get the governor’s signature.
OPINION: Rudy Giuliani contends the president is failing to talk about the good things about America
Rudy Giuliani feels unloved. And he suggests you should feel that way, too, thanks to a compliment deficit from our cheerleader in chief. I think it’s about … the dangerous way in which politicians, and many of their constituents, mistake flattery for love.
OPINION: Films can uplift or emphasize our inadequacies
Even with the best movies, there’s a risk-reward dynamic involved.
- EDITORIAL: Fractures painful, but they do mend
- Thumbs Up!
- Scammers add stress to tax season
- Thumbs Up! Jan 26, 2015
- Thumbs Up! Jan. 19, 2015
- Time is now to address Georgia's transportation needs
- Another year, another scam
- Thumbs Up! Jan. 12, 2015
- France murders a sober reminder
- Is cooperation on the agendas of Congress and the White House?
Letters to the Editor
- WALT SPECHT: Smart phones, Internet dummy down Americans
- CHRIS CLARK: Georgia Quail Hunt showcases South Georgia
- BILL BATES: Prisoners live free on backs of taxpayers
- PHILIP COLSON: Measles epidemic started at same time of flood of illegal children and adults
- RUBY BRITT: Marriage is defined by the Bible
- WALT SPECHT: Wild hogs seem to be taking to deer bait
- DUANE 'BANJO' DAVIS: American farmers most productive in the world
- STEVE MCCOY: Grand Island is an big asset to Lee County
- DENNIS ROLAND: Grand Island Club/Golf Course a drain on Lee County taxpayers
- WARREN D. GRANT: The numbers do not support prosperity claims
- Is the city set to kill the multimodal project? 1 comment
- Commissioners bid adieu to the mayor in their own unique fashion 3 comments
- First election prediction? There will be a runoff
- Edwards' little tax problem 2 comments