OPINION: Religious liberty is being invoked to circumvent U.S. laws
Don’t like same-sex marriage, contraception, HIV testing or even child labor laws? Never you worry: Just say that a Higher Power has exempted you, even if your exemption means trampling on other people’s rights.
OPINION: Encouraging indpendence of children can run afoul of the law
If your kids are seen walking without adult supervision, somebody will call the cops, Child Protective Services will conduct an investigation and charges will be filed.
OPINION: Former NFL star and wife helping others cope with loss
Brian and Brook Griese founded Judi’s House to to help children and adults who have lost a loved one find a connection and healing.
GUEST COLUMN: Citizens have until July 20 to give opinion to federal regulators
Dougherty County residents have until July 20 to comment to the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission on the Sabal Trail compressor station and pipeline.
OPINION: America still has not come to terms with slavery
Some 239 years after that awe-inspiring Declaration of Independence — “We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal” — we are still in denial about the foundations upon which this republic was built.
OPINION: Politicians and the media focus on minor issues that rile up conservative-liberal divide
Like it or not, in 2015 the Confederate flag we all saw on the roof of those 1969 Dodge Chargers on the “Dukes of Hazard” is no longer so innocent. Now it symbolizes two totally different and incompatible things to whites and blacks.
HEALTH & FITNESS: Add nutrition to a kids favorite
Kids will eat more nutritious food, as long as you sneak it in.
FEATURES COLUMN: Mrs. Olson would be proud
It’s a wonder I didn’t drink coffee earlier in life, considering I remember coffee being around our house since the beginning of time.
HISTORY: Nothing says summer like fresh watermelon.
Read some facts about watermelon, swimming, air conditioning and more.
FRIDAY JAM SESSION: Rock was the soundtrack of a generation
One of my earliest memories is my mother, carrying me in her arms, entering our apartment building in the Bronx and she was singing to me, “Are you ready, ready,ready, ready now Teddy, ready, ready, ready to rock and roll.” Which was confusing at the time because my name wasn’t Teddy.
OPINION: U.S. and Iran negotiators are repeating themselves, so why cant I?
I have yet to hear from a U.S. government official why anyone can trust an Iranian regime whose dictatorship kills its own people, conducts secret trials, and openly and proudly states its god wishes everyone who disagrees with its version of Islam eliminated from the planet.
OPINION: Religious identity is more important than we acknowledge
Polls show that those who identify themselves as Christian (of any denomination) is waning, implying a weakening of religious identity.
OPINION: Walmart nixes cakes with Confederate battle flags
Businesses and people seem to have diffrerent sets of rules as to what is offensive, depending on what the popular notion is at the time.
OPINION: Europe had a dream of neighborliness that has turned to a nightmare of debt
Establishing a common currency was meant to facilitate the cross-border flow of goods, services, people and capital, and thus bond disparate countries through the mutual benefits of trade. But, unfortunately, such numismatic gymnastics made little sense given Europe’s fractured cultural and regulatory landscape.
OPINION: A 239-year-old historic document needs an updated makeover
America in 2015 is ready for a July 4th Declaration of Dependence.
- Thumbs Up! July 6, 2015
- Thumbs Up: June 29, 2015
- Thumbs Up! June 22, 2015
- EDITORIAL: Outrage, sadness over murders of churchgoers
- Thumbs Up! June 15, 2015
- Thumbs Up! June 8, 2015
- EDITORIAL: A day to be remembered
- Thumbs Up! June 1, 2015
- EDITORIAL: Albany city manager selection was transparent process
- EDITORIAL: A debt America can never repay
Letters to the Editor
- WALT SPECHT: A gun is a tool for equalizing a threat
- WARREN D. GRANT: Gun control is not the answer
- JOHN CANNADY: Democratic national candidates lie for political gain
- DUANE 'BANJO' DAVIS: Confederate flag is not the cause of unrest in the nation
- BILL BATES: Don't sink Deal-Closing Fund into downtown purchases
- JOHN CANNADY: Christian values withstand test of time
- JOHN BRYANT: Gun ownership not an infection
- WALT SPECHT: The truth about social engineers
- B.J. FLETCHER: Albany needs catalyst for change
- SHARLENE CANNON: Time to move forward in downtown Albany
- Is the city set to kill the multimodal project? 1 comment
- Commissioners bid adieu to the mayor in their own unique fashion 3 comments
- First election prediction? There will be a runoff
- Edwards' little tax problem 2 comments