FAITH COLUMN: A private business contends portions of federal health reform violate its freedom of religion
If for-profit corporations are “people” in the eyes of the law, will the next step be to permit discrimination on the basis of age, race, gender, sexual orientation and disability by corporations and companies who use the Bible as their reason?
OPINION: Business leaders should let Thanksgiving remain a family holiday
Black Friday and pushed its way into Thanksgiving Day.
Because many of us make mistakes that can have bad consequences, some intellectuals believe that it is the role of government to intervene and make some of our decisions for us. From what galaxy government is going to hire creatures who do not make mistakes is a question they leave unanswered.
FEATURES COLUMN: Thanksgiving traditions make special memories for family.
For Thanksgiving, there is only one place in this world that I want to be -- my grandmother's house.
FEATURES COLUMN: When the holiday questions get ticklish, think baseball
Santa is just one of the many imponderables of life.
OPINION: The country is not doing so well, but there are reasons to be thankful this year
For so much of the year, we focus on what is wrong. Thanksgiving is the day to focus on what has been done right.
THE DIXIE DIVA: Thank the Lord for heartaches as well as blessings
Whether this has been a year that leaned more toward blessings or tribulations, give thanks for it.
FEATURES COLUMN: Garden and Gun magazine has hit the target by growing a guide to living the Southern good life
“The Southerner’s Handbook” is a comprehasive read on the good things about living in the South.
OPINION: 'Cancer Chronicles' features survivors, medical heroes
Cancer survivors tell their individual stories in a special holiday series.
History can be a great teacher if the “students” pay attention. Many things in the world have changed since the disastrous Munich Pact, but human nature never does. Tyrants respect agreements only so long as it allows them to further their objectives. Munich only delayed the onset of World War II; it did not prevent it.
OPINION: Even after 50 years, it is difficult to shed memories of the day JFK was killed
For many Americans, the death of President John F. Kennedy was like the death of a member of their family.
OPINION: Nuclear option in the Senate derails Republican efforts to control federal courts
In the Obama years, conservatives have abused the filibuster in ways that liberals never dreamed of.
OPINION: Promise of help from minister comes at a cost
Despite a growing number of religious scandals, there are still righteous men and women who serve God.
FEATURES COLUMN: Reaction and growth from adversity is also something to be grateful for
Gratitude makes all the difference in your attitude.
HEALTH AND FITNESS: Some planning can help fight expanding waistlines during the holidays
It is OK to overindulge some during the holidays, but a goal should be to not let eating get completely out of control.
- Thumbs Up! - Dec. 9, 2013
- Life of Nelson Mandela is to be celebrated
- On a day of celebration, Pearl Harbor's lessons still important
- Dougherty's brightest middle-schoolers go 'bowling'
- Make that really special delivery
- Albany Ward II voters determine today who will be their city commissioner
- Thumbs Up! - Dec.2, 2013
- Don't overlook locally-owned businesses this weekend
- Keep Black Friday Fever under control
- America has good reasons to be thankful
Letters to the Editor
- DAVID SHIVERS: Cynthia Tucker's column is no diatribe
- WARREN D. GRANT: Time will tell on deal with Iran
- DUANE DAVIS: America has taken the wrong direction
- WARREN D. GRANT: Columnist Cynthia Tucker continues divisive writings
- WALT SPECHT: Public housing should be for the poor who are deserving
- SAM HARRIS: Gourmet meals await at Albany Tech
- JOHN BRYANT: Americans are starting to question changes
- FORREST ADAMS: Monroe dancing was inappropriate
- WALT SPECHT: Special recognition of one combat death diminishes others
- MIKE SABOT: Obamacare supporters sold a bad bill of goods
- Is the city set to kill the multimodal project? 1 comment
- Commissioners bid adieu to the mayor in their own unique fashion 3 comments
- First election prediction? There will be a runoff
- Edwards' little tax problem 2 comments