Charter schools take power from politicians and bureaucrats, letting parents decide where their children will go to school. That is obviously offensive to those on the left, who think that our betters should be making our decisions for us.
OPINION: Conservative conference has face-off between not surrendering and trying to win
Conservatives purport to be interested in new ideas, but it may be that they’re just trying to improve their image.
OPINION: When going gets tough, make the test easier
The “tweaks” to the SAT are a shame because they rob educators of meausres that provide critical information on prospective college students.
OPINION: The nominee was scuttled for doing his job as a defense attorney in a cop killer capital case
Debo P. Adegbile was doing his job in helping get a former Black Panther’s death sentence in the 1981 murder of a Philadelphia police officer commuted to life in prison.
OPINION: Some Republican critcis of the president seem to have a case of Putin envy
Republicans blame past Obama failures for Russian agression in Ukraine even though the administration is following policies they prescribe for the situation.
OPINION: California starts to focus on fiscal responsibility
Gov. Jerry Brown has traded his earlier dreams for the Golden State to pragmatic policies that has turned deficit spending in Calfornia into a surplus.
OPINION: Word is getting around in local Girl Scout circles that I am an easy sale
Who among us has the power to say no to any young girl raising money for charity who offers to sell us a legal product that’s so addictive?
OPINION: A new outreach initiative by the president to help at-risk boys of color is cause for cheer
Sometimes things can change only when the right messenger comes along.
OPINION: Georgia governor wants to bar the uninsured from hospital emergency rooms
Gov. Nathan Deal hates Obamacare and refuses its Medicaid expansion, which would keep the working poor out of emergency rooms. In addition, he wants to deny them access to emergency rooms unless they can pay.
OPINION: Sen. Cruz says the overall record of Tea Party candidates is far better than the establishment’s record
The Republican senator says that history has proven failing to rock and boat and take stands is a recipe for a party to fail at the ballot box.
OPINION: Republican presidential hopefuls are demonstrating their individual styles
Gov. Bibby Jindal signals Republican conservatives that he is in tune with them.
OPINION: Secretary of State John Kerry is oblivious to the history and climate of California
The current drought in California is not the first, not the worst and regardless of what people do, it won’t be the last. Some have lasted more than two centuries, and they were long before the industrial age.
After much criticism from conservative quarters, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has decided, at least for now, to withdraw plans for its proposed study of how media organizations gather and report news.
OPINION: Though blasted by Republicans for using executive orders, President Obama has issued fewer than his immediate predecessors
Stymied by the House of Representatives, Obama’s supposedly aggressive measures have been rather restrained initiatives to achieve widely shared goals.
OPINION: The old-fashioned idea of men being chivalrous toward women is not in vogue today
Although we can argue that women shouldn’t get drunk and convey mixed signals, they are functionally less able to resist the advances of a determined male.
Letters to the Editor
- WALT SPECHT: Violent confrontations can be avoided
- ARLEEN SCHULTZ: Employees derserve better consideation
- JOHN MCRAE: Resolution of Westiver grade change scandal set poor example
- WALT SPECHT: Parents are abandoning their basic responsibilities to their children
- WARREN D. GRANT: Grade changing creates questions
- CHRIS CLARK: The 26th Georgia Quail Hunt was again a success
- LEE LOWERY: Proposed law that allows discrimination is not religious freedom
- DIANE BENFORD: Dog laws should apply to all breeds
- WARREN D. GRANT: Politicians of all stripes are pushing America into the abyss
- JULIE SELLERS: The success of the Night of Hope Gala was due to work of many
- CHARLES WESTBROOK: Raising property taxes not the only solution
- SOWELL: The Left versus minorities
- LORAN SMITH: Saltine crackers go with everything
- CARLTON FLETCHER: Congress has become a Frankenstein's monster we created
- THOMAS: Helping minority children key for conservatives
- JUDSON H. TURNER: Unfounded concerns, rumors surround revision of Flint River Drought Protection Act
- E.J. DIONNE: Conservatives try on new clothes
- KATHLEEN PARKER: New SAT don’t care for no fancy words
- CYNTHIA TUCKER: Senate rejection of Adegbile nomination a bipartisan travesty
- JOE GANDELMAN: Vladimir Putin gives the world half of a pace sign
- Dr. Leroy Bynum opens a new chapter in his career
- Thumbs Up! March 10, 2014
- Obama budget sinks Savannah Port Expansion Project progress
- Global political climate gets chillier
- Thumbs Up! March 3, 2014
- Big weekend places Albany in the spotlight
- Thumbs Up! Feb. 24, 2014
- Top education leaders working to improve Albany-Dougherty County
- High school GPA may be better indicator of college potential
- Thumbs Up! Feb. 17, 2014