OPINION: Moving from health care reform, the president focuses on economic immobility
A long trend that has squeezed the size of the American middle class is a growing inequality from a lack of upward mobility.
OPINION: Republicans are missing a chance to resolve problems, opting instead to merely criticize
Without offering alternatives, the GOP is failing to take advantage of missteps by Democrats.
OPINION: Republicans would be wise to meet Democrats in the middle on food assistance programs
With the tough economy, keeping nutrition aid and education in place is the right thing to do.
OPINION: Pope Francis taking a stand against economic injustice
Liberals who love Pope Francis also need to come to terms with aspects of his thought that may be less congenial to their assumptions.
OPINION: Republican governors lump Washington Republicans in with Democrats for criticism
Just about the only governors who demur on the question of whether a governor should be the Republican nominee are the governors who actually want to be the Republican nominee.
OPINION: Agreement with Iran signals thawing of relations
The silliest reactions in the United States were those that claimed Obama was negotiating with Iran in order to distract attention from the problems with his rollout of Obamacare.
OPINION: Gratitude is built into the structure of most forms of faith
If faith without works is dead, gratitude without generosity of spirit is empty.
OPINION: Business leaders should let Thanksgiving remain a family holiday
Black Friday and pushed its way into Thanksgiving Day.
OPINION: The country is not doing so well, but there are reasons to be thankful this year
For so much of the year, we focus on what is wrong. Thanksgiving is the day to focus on what has been done right.
OPINION: Even after 50 years, it is difficult to shed memories of the day JFK was killed
For many Americans, the death of President John F. Kennedy was like the death of a member of their family.
OPINION: Nuclear option in the Senate derails Republican efforts to control federal courts
In the Obama years, conservatives have abused the filibuster in ways that liberals never dreamed of.
OPINION: Some people and events should be retired from impulse to similize
By invoking horrific tragedy, atrocity and evil acts in political criticism, those events become trivialized.
OPINION: The passion for public service and politics shown by JFK has not been duplicated
John F. Kennedy has come to represent a time of widespread confidence in the possibilities of America.
OPINION: It's difficult to keep up with the quickly shifting journalistic conventional wisdom
As the second term of President Obama rocks on the waves of Obamacare, will Republicans end up making him look better by comparison to its gridlock efforts?
OPINION: Over the past three decades, America has made strides in combating lawlessness
Falling crime rates may lead to bipartisan cooperation on prison and sentencing reforms.
Letters to the Editor
- DAVID SHIVERS: Cynthia Tucker's column is no diatribe
- WARREN D. GRANT: Time will tell on deal with Iran
- DUANE DAVIS: America has taken the wrong direction
- WARREN D. GRANT: Columnist Cynthia Tucker continues divisive writings
- WALT SPECHT: Public housing should be for the poor who are deserving
- SAM HARRIS: Gourmet meals await at Albany Tech
- JOHN BRYANT: Americans are starting to question changes
- FORREST ADAMS: Monroe dancing was inappropriate
- WALT SPECHT: Special recognition of one combat death diminishes others
- MIKE SABOT: Obamacare supporters sold a bad bill of goods
- E.J. DIONNE: President Obama expands the playing field
- YARBROUGH: UGA needs your support academically as well as athletically
- CREEDE HINSHAW: Faith is expressed in a myriad of ways
- KATHLEEN PARKER: Republicans should focus on solutions
- ROBINSON: Drones morally questionable go-to weapon
- T. GAMBLE: We can soar like war eagles
- SOWELL: A challenge to our beliefs
- CARLTON FLETCHER: Albany business owners challenge others to adopt families
- LORAN SMITH: Immigrants saga an inspiring story
- RONDA RICH: Encouragement is the milk of kindness
- On a day of celebration, Pearl Harbor's lessons still important
- Dougherty's brightest middle-schoolers go 'bowling'
- Make that really special delivery
- Albany Ward II voters determine today who will be their city commissioner
- Thumbs Up! - Dec.2, 2013
- Don't overlook locally-owned businesses this weekend
- Keep Black Friday Fever under control
- America has good reasons to be thankful
- Clocks ticking down to the holiday season
- Thumbs Up! - Nov. 25, 2013