Given last week’s revelation that the IRS targeted conservative groups seeking tax-exempt status, it’s worth recalling President Obama’s Ohio State University commencement address. The president decried “voices” warning “that tyranny is always lurking just around the corner.” It’s no longer lurking. It’s here.
An all too familiar scene was enacted on the campus of Swarthmore College during a meeting on May 4th to discuss demands by student activists for the college to divest itself of its investments in companies that dealt in fossil fuels.
Breaking news: Conservative organizations suddenly have found common cause with one of their favorite objects of contempt — the benighted Mainstream Media.
After a rural Kentucky family suffered an unspeakable gun tragedy late last month, that sad story, unfortunately, became new fuel for the scorching debate over gun control. When news broke that 5-year-old Kristian Sparks had shot his 2-year-old sister with a rifle he had been given as a gift, opposing factions latched on to either defend rural America’s gun culture or to denounce it.
They lost me at the word “women.”
"Nobody should self-publish,” says Philip Corbett, the standards editor of the New York Times. “Everything should go through an editor. Ideally, it should go through two editors.”
History is one of our greatest teachers. It's just too bad so many of our young people think history started with the death of Princess Di or the birth of the iPhone.
On the popular TV drama “Downton Abbey,” the central character, Lord Grantham, turns to his dinner guests and smirks, “There always seems to be something of the Johnny Foreigner about the Catholics.”
During decades of watching both collegiate and professional football, I have seen hundreds of touchdowns scored by black players -- but not one extra point kicked by a black player.
Marco Rubio, Florida's junior senator, is pushing immigration reform because he needs a major legislative accomplishment to cement his credentials as a rising GOP star.
Last month, after a trial that garnered worldwide coverage, two high-school football players in Steubenville, Ohio, were sentenced to youth prison for raping a 16-year-old girl.
The biggest obstacle to the Obama administration's push for tighter gun control may be its own best argument: Newtown. This is because nothing proposed in the gun control debates would have prevented the mass killing of children at Sandy Hook Elementary School, and everybody knows it. At best, tighter gun laws will make us feel better.
Find this story and other news, sports and features items at www.albanyherald.com.
Sen. John McCain posed that question to fellow Republicans who vow to filibuster any bill mandating universal background checks on gun purchases. There are three answers to McCain and the first is this: If it's put to a vote, the bill will probably pass.
Margaret Thatcher, who served as prime minister of Britain from 1979 to 1990, is most famous for teaming up with my father Ronald Reagan and Pope John Paul II to peacefully end the Cold War and bring about the collapse of the Soviet Union. But at home, the "Iron Lady's" intellect, political will and love of freedom and capitalism also saved Britain from its long, slow death by socialism.
Letters to the Editor
- Writer offers history of slave trading 2 comments
- American children are too pampered
- Christianity no threat to the U.S. military 7 comments
- No free rides for cosmetologists
- Education coverage needs balance 1 comment
- Frantz family offers thanks
- Volunteers impact the community
- Who supported the Boston bombers? 1 comment
- Gun bill defeat a win for big business 24 comments
- Failed gun law would have been ineffective 1 comment
- Traveling lighter no easy task
- Tyranny is no longer ‘lurking’ just around the corner
- Wimps take on the barbarians
- High school uniforms a lesson in control theory 4 comments
- Common man’s buying guide
- Fredericksburg makes you feel at home
- Someone’s asking for an IRS audit 4 comments
- Immigration fight moves to house with deep divide
- Higher learning and the college mind 2 comments
- What is going on with democracy in this country?
- Phipps excellent choice for chief judge
- Thumbs Up - May 20, 2013
- Battle over Phoebe North stalling growth 5 comments
- Education makes difference in life 2 comments
- DCSS showing signs of progress 7 comments
- IRS profiled Tea Party, conservatives 12 comments
- Thumbs Up! - May 13, 2013
- The numbers are in for America’s moms
- Hot cars are no place for children
- Paula Deen museum cooks up exciting possibilities 16 comments