OPINION: Affordable Care Act gets third chance to make good impression
If opponents of the ACA can discredit it, they can move on to demonize other necessary public programs — and undercut arguments for further government efforts to ease inequalities and injustices.
OPINION: The meeting between Pope Francis and President Obama holds great promise
Though Pope Francis may bless President Obama and beam that knowing smile, his prayer for humanity’s salvation has no political party affiliation.
OPINION: Farrow built his brand 140 characters at a time on Twitter
So far, Farrow is remaining true to himself. The question is whether he can continue to do so for the long run.
As we speak, Putin is deciding whether to go beyond Crimea and take eastern Ukraine. Show him some seriousness, Mr. President.
OPINION: The Russian president has united a deeply divided U.S. Congress
While members of Congress have been unusually united in denouncing Russia’s invasion and annexation of Crimea, polls show most Americans don’t want the U.S. getting “too” involved in the situation.
OPINION: A new movie about Noah gets backlash from Muslims and Christians alike
“Noah” isn’t ,meant to be a sermon, call to prayer, encouragement for religious conversion or a disrespect of a prophet. It’s a big-budget movie made to entertain, inspire and be profitable.
OPINION: President Obama and the Democrats are in danger of letting the GOP set terms of the mid-term elections
The most telling fact about the Democrats’ defeat in Florida’s special House election last week was the party’s failure to get its voters to the polls.
OPINION: There is never a top 10 list of ways to feel satisfied with your life
Working longer and working harder are not necessarily the same thing. Eulogies review a life in terms different than society’s values for success.
OPINION: The simple diagnostic test is the best tool for detecting colon cancer
Colon screenings, along with exercise, is the best act of prevention for the deadly disease.
Charter schools take power from politicians and bureaucrats, letting parents decide where their children will go to school. That is obviously offensive to those on the left, who think that our betters should be making our decisions for us.
OPINION: Conservative conference has face-off between not surrendering and trying to win
Conservatives purport to be interested in new ideas, but it may be that they’re just trying to improve their image.
OPINION: When going gets tough, make the test easier
The “tweaks” to the SAT are a shame because they rob educators of meausres that provide critical information on prospective college students.
OPINION: The nominee was scuttled for doing his job as a defense attorney in a cop killer capital case
Debo P. Adegbile was doing his job in helping get a former Black Panther’s death sentence in the 1981 murder of a Philadelphia police officer commuted to life in prison.
OPINION: Some Republican critcis of the president seem to have a case of Putin envy
Republicans blame past Obama failures for Russian agression in Ukraine even though the administration is following policies they prescribe for the situation.
OPINION: California starts to focus on fiscal responsibility
Gov. Jerry Brown has traded his earlier dreams for the Golden State to pragmatic policies that has turned deficit spending in Calfornia into a surplus.
Letters to the Editor
- MARCIA JOHNSON: Emergency medical team a blessing to patient, family
- WALT SPECHT: Vermont visits always enlighten
- JOHN BRYANT: Moving ahead is only backing up
- WARREN D. GRANT: Divert money from parks and the Civic Center to pay law enforcement better salaries
- SHARISSE KELLY: Law enforcement officers deserve higher pay
- BETTY MCDONALD: Death of Leola Williams a loss to family and co-workers
- JOHN BRYANT: Bill Clinton had strong economic record
- BOB LOGAN: Confederate memorial service set for Dougherty and Lee counties April 5
- WALT SPECHT: America should be worlds top manufacturer
- JOHN A. TAYLOR: Republicans run up bills for future generations
- CREEDE HINSHAW: Misguided missionaries mar Masters
- CAL THOMAS: Chicken Little science proponents cluck louder
- KATHLEEN PARKER: Erase the race card
- CARLTON FLETCHER: Politics 2014 -- Spell president with a capital 'D'
- LORAN SMITH: Bubba worthy of second green jacket
- THOMAS: Sebelius is the definition of a scapegoat
- E.J. DIONNE: A program Republicans should love
- KATHLEEN PARKER: Stephen Colbert no threat to the heartland
- TOM PURCELL: Longing for tax freedom
- CYNTHIA TUCKER: LBJ changed civil rights landscape
- Irony escapes Russian president
- Thumbs Up! April 14, 2014
- Georgians can celebrate Tax Freedom Day
- End-of-the-world eruption still a ways off
- Thumbs Up! April 7, 2014
- Dougherty School Board going by the book on selection process
- More focus needed on mental health for military
- Driving distractions can be deadly
- Thumbs Up! March 31, 2014
- We should be our brothers' keeper