“Pope Francis, I have never been to Catholic confession before, but I have a few things I have to get off my chest.”
OPINION: If two values conflict, the right of equality should win out
The government has an overriding interest in ensuring that women’s health care is treated no differently from men’s, and reproductive services are vital.
OPINION: Complaining about the travel expense of the president and first lady is a waste of time
Critics of President Obama should shift to what’s really important — Obamacare, Ukraine and the GOP recapturing the U.S. Senate.
OPINION: Government continues its incursion into religion territory
It will take a GOP-led Congress and a Republican in the White House to fix the mess that is Obamacare.
OPINION: American bishops hoped Pope Francis would puch their respective agendas when meeting President Obama
While Francis has decidedly moved the church back toward the social justice Catholicism that Obama connected with as a young man, Francis’ worldview is plainly not American. Efforts to shoehorn him into American debates will always have a distorting effect.
OPINION: Kenneth Starr and Alan Dershowitz form odd couple partnership on religion issue
Witnessing Harvard law professor Alan Dershowitz and Baylor University President Kenneth Starr discuss and largely agree on religious liberty issues raised by the popularly known Hobby Lobby case was pleasantly jarring.
OPINION: New homes make the landscape resemble, in the words of one critic, a field of pastel-colored UFOs.
The problem is, the daringly designed, environmentally sophisticated houses don’t seem to appeal to the people they were intended to help.
Though Fred Phelps is gone, the kind of hate he preached remains. It is why hate must be opposed no matter which group, faith, ceremony, or individual is the target.
OPINION: Affordable Care Act gets third chance to make good impression
If opponents of the ACA can discredit it, they can move on to demonize other necessary public programs — and undercut arguments for further government efforts to ease inequalities and injustices.
OPINION: The meeting between Pope Francis and President Obama holds great promise
Though Pope Francis may bless President Obama and beam that knowing smile, his prayer for humanity’s salvation has no political party affiliation.
OPINION: Farrow built his brand 140 characters at a time on Twitter
So far, Farrow is remaining true to himself. The question is whether he can continue to do so for the long run.
As we speak, Putin is deciding whether to go beyond Crimea and take eastern Ukraine. Show him some seriousness, Mr. President.
OPINION: The Russian president has united a deeply divided U.S. Congress
While members of Congress have been unusually united in denouncing Russia’s invasion and annexation of Crimea, polls show most Americans don’t want the U.S. getting “too” involved in the situation.
OPINION: A new movie about Noah gets backlash from Muslims and Christians alike
“Noah” isn’t ,meant to be a sermon, call to prayer, encouragement for religious conversion or a disrespect of a prophet. It’s a big-budget movie made to entertain, inspire and be profitable.
OPINION: President Obama and the Democrats are in danger of letting the GOP set terms of the mid-term elections
The most telling fact about the Democrats’ defeat in Florida’s special House election last week was the party’s failure to get its voters to the polls.
Letters to the Editor
- MARCIA JOHNSON: Emergency medical team a blessing to patient, family
- WALT SPECHT: Vermont visits always enlighten
- JOHN BRYANT: Moving ahead is only backing up
- WARREN D. GRANT: Divert money from parks and the Civic Center to pay law enforcement better salaries
- SHARISSE KELLY: Law enforcement officers deserve higher pay
- BETTY MCDONALD: Death of Leola Williams a loss to family and co-workers
- JOHN BRYANT: Bill Clinton had strong economic record
- BOB LOGAN: Confederate memorial service set for Dougherty and Lee counties April 5
- WALT SPECHT: America should be worlds top manufacturer
- JOHN A. TAYLOR: Republicans run up bills for future generations
- RANCE PETTIBONE: Racism is still strong in America
- Television dogs man's best friends
- CARLTON FLETCHER: Finding favor with Caribbean Flavor
- LORAN SMITH: Paul Herring, a real Greatest Generation hero
- JOE GANDELMAN: The fall of the House of Bush
- E. J. DIONNE: New York City mayor offers no apologies
- KATHLEEN PARKER: Russian agreement just what the KGB ordered
- CYNTHIA TUCKER: U.S. deportation policy impolitic, inhumane
- MICHAEL REAGAN: Pennsylvania cannot afford to lose Gov. Tom Corbett
- KRAUTHAMMER: With campaign donations, the zealots win again
- Retirees bring much to the community
- Thumbs Up! April 21, 2014
- Easter is a time of renewal
- Irony escapes Russian president
- Thumbs Up! April 14, 2014
- Georgians can celebrate Tax Freedom Day
- End-of-the-world eruption still a ways off
- Thumbs Up! April 7, 2014
- Dougherty School Board going by the book on selection process
- More focus needed on mental health for military