OPINION: Moving from health care reform, the president focuses on economic immobility
A long trend that has squeezed the size of the American middle class is a growing inequality from a lack of upward mobility.
OPINION: Republicans are missing a chance to resolve problems, opting instead to merely criticize
Without offering alternatives, the GOP is failing to take advantage of missteps by Democrats.
OPINION: Republicans would be wise to meet Democrats in the middle on food assistance programs
With the tough economy, keeping nutrition aid and education in place is the right thing to do.
OPINION: Pope Francis taking a stand against economic injustice
Liberals who love Pope Francis also need to come to terms with aspects of his thought that may be less congenial to their assumptions.
OPINION: Republican governors lump Washington Republicans in with Democrats for criticism
Just about the only governors who demur on the question of whether a governor should be the Republican nominee are the governors who actually want to be the Republican nominee.
OPINION: Agreement with Iran signals thawing of relations
The silliest reactions in the United States were those that claimed Obama was negotiating with Iran in order to distract attention from the problems with his rollout of Obamacare.
OPINION: Gratitude is built into the structure of most forms of faith
If faith without works is dead, gratitude without generosity of spirit is empty.
OPINION: Business leaders should let Thanksgiving remain a family holiday
Black Friday and pushed its way into Thanksgiving Day.
OPINION: The country is not doing so well, but there are reasons to be thankful this year
For so much of the year, we focus on what is wrong. Thanksgiving is the day to focus on what has been done right.
OPINION: Even after 50 years, it is difficult to shed memories of the day JFK was killed
For many Americans, the death of President John F. Kennedy was like the death of a member of their family.
OPINION: Nuclear option in the Senate derails Republican efforts to control federal courts
In the Obama years, conservatives have abused the filibuster in ways that liberals never dreamed of.
OPINION: Some people and events should be retired from impulse to similize
By invoking horrific tragedy, atrocity and evil acts in political criticism, those events become trivialized.
OPINION: The passion for public service and politics shown by JFK has not been duplicated
John F. Kennedy has come to represent a time of widespread confidence in the possibilities of America.
OPINION: It's difficult to keep up with the quickly shifting journalistic conventional wisdom
As the second term of President Obama rocks on the waves of Obamacare, will Republicans end up making him look better by comparison to its gridlock efforts?
OPINION: Over the past three decades, America has made strides in combating lawlessness
Falling crime rates may lead to bipartisan cooperation on prison and sentencing reforms.
Letters to the Editor
- WALT SPECHT: Violent confrontations can be avoided
- ARLEEN SCHULTZ: Employees derserve better consideation
- JOHN MCRAE: Resolution of Westiver grade change scandal set poor example
- WALT SPECHT: Parents are abandoning their basic responsibilities to their children
- WARREN D. GRANT: Grade changing creates questions
- CHRIS CLARK: The 26th Georgia Quail Hunt was again a success
- LEE LOWERY: Proposed law that allows discrimination is not religious freedom
- DIANE BENFORD: Dog laws should apply to all breeds
- WARREN D. GRANT: Politicians of all stripes are pushing America into the abyss
- JULIE SELLERS: The success of the Night of Hope Gala was due to work of many
- CREEDE HINSHAW: Can love get a majority vote?
- JOHN WALLACE: Stagecoach Mary broke barriers ... and a few noses
- KATHLEEN PARKER: Once upon a moonbeam
- ROBINSON: The American story of slavery
- SOWELL: Freedom is not free
- LORAN SMITH: Some heroes never get recognized
- CARLTON FLETCHER: Ed Lightsey was one of journalism';s true originals
- KEVIN SPROUL: Springtime offers opportunity to support CPIU
- THOMAS: A closer look at Arizona
- TOM PURCELL: A plea from a dieting cookie addict
- Obama budget sinks Savannah Port Expansion Project progress
- Global political climate gets chillier
- Thumbs Up! March 3, 2014
- Big weekend places Albany in the spotlight
- Thumbs Up! Feb. 24, 2014
- Top education leaders working to improve Albany-Dougherty County
- High school GPA may be better indicator of college potential
- Thumbs Up! Feb. 17, 2014
- Georgia taking this winter storm seriously
- Thumbs Up! Feb. 10, 2014