OPINION: The nominee was scuttled for doing his job as a defense attorney in a cop killer capital case
Debo P. Adegbile was doing his job in helping get a former Black Panther’s death sentence in the 1981 murder of a Philadelphia police officer commuted to life in prison.
OPINION: Some Republican critcis of the president seem to have a case of Putin envy
Republicans blame past Obama failures for Russian agression in Ukraine even though the administration is following policies they prescribe for the situation.
OPINION: California starts to focus on fiscal responsibility
Gov. Jerry Brown has traded his earlier dreams for the Golden State to pragmatic policies that has turned deficit spending in Calfornia into a surplus.
OPINION: Word is getting around in local Girl Scout circles that I am an easy sale
Who among us has the power to say no to any young girl raising money for charity who offers to sell us a legal product that’s so addictive?
OPINION: A new outreach initiative by the president to help at-risk boys of color is cause for cheer
Sometimes things can change only when the right messenger comes along.
OPINION: Georgia governor wants to bar the uninsured from hospital emergency rooms
Gov. Nathan Deal hates Obamacare and refuses its Medicaid expansion, which would keep the working poor out of emergency rooms. In addition, he wants to deny them access to emergency rooms unless they can pay.
OPINION: Sen. Cruz says the overall record of Tea Party candidates is far better than the establishment’s record
The Republican senator says that history has proven failing to rock and boat and take stands is a recipe for a party to fail at the ballot box.
OPINION: Republican presidential hopefuls are demonstrating their individual styles
Gov. Bibby Jindal signals Republican conservatives that he is in tune with them.
OPINION: Secretary of State John Kerry is oblivious to the history and climate of California
The current drought in California is not the first, not the worst and regardless of what people do, it won’t be the last. Some have lasted more than two centuries, and they were long before the industrial age.
After much criticism from conservative quarters, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has decided, at least for now, to withdraw plans for its proposed study of how media organizations gather and report news.
OPINION: Though blasted by Republicans for using executive orders, President Obama has issued fewer than his immediate predecessors
Stymied by the House of Representatives, Obama’s supposedly aggressive measures have been rather restrained initiatives to achieve widely shared goals.
OPINION: The old-fashioned idea of men being chivalrous toward women is not in vogue today
Although we can argue that women shouldn’t get drunk and convey mixed signals, they are functionally less able to resist the advances of a determined male.
OPINION: The 1990s Clinton sexcapades should be on TCM, not Fox News
Sen. Rand Paul and Kathleen Willey take Republicans on a trip back through time, one that won’t help them win the White House in 2016.
OPINION: Florida shooting verdict unwelcome specter over Black History Month
A juror told ABC’s “Nightline” that race never entered the deliberations, but it’s obvious that pernicious stereotypes about young black men hung over the proceedings.
OPINION: After years of self-destruction, GOP lawmakers have stopped helping Democrats beat them
Republicans are staying away from divisive issues and concetrating on the narrative that President Obama and the Affordable Care Act are failures.
Letters to the Editor
- MARCIA JOHNSON: Emergency medical team a blessing to patient, family
- WALT SPECHT: Vermont visits always enlighten
- JOHN BRYANT: Moving ahead is only backing up
- WARREN D. GRANT: Divert money from parks and the Civic Center to pay law enforcement better salaries
- SHARISSE KELLY: Law enforcement officers deserve higher pay
- BETTY MCDONALD: Death of Leola Williams a loss to family and co-workers
- JOHN BRYANT: Bill Clinton had strong economic record
- BOB LOGAN: Confederate memorial service set for Dougherty and Lee counties April 5
- WALT SPECHT: America should be worlds top manufacturer
- JOHN A. TAYLOR: Republicans run up bills for future generations
- BOB KORNEGAY: I hear the guns
- BYRON YORK: Hillary Clinton leaning on records of husband, Obama
- E.J. DIONNE: Jeb Bush offers ray of optimism
- YARBROUGH: A reminder of what Easter is really about
- CREEDE HINSHAW: Misguided missionaries mar Masters
- CAL THOMAS: Chicken Little science proponents cluck louder
- KATHLEEN PARKER: Erase the race card
- SOWELL: Comparison of men vs. women pay is statistical fraud
- CARLTON FLETCHER: Politics 2014 -- Spell president with a capital 'D'
- LORAN SMITH: Bubba worthy of second green jacket
- Irony escapes Russian president
- Thumbs Up! April 14, 2014
- Georgians can celebrate Tax Freedom Day
- End-of-the-world eruption still a ways off
- Thumbs Up! April 7, 2014
- Dougherty School Board going by the book on selection process
- More focus needed on mental health for military
- Driving distractions can be deadly
- Thumbs Up! March 31, 2014
- We should be our brothers' keeper