The new insurance policy replaces current peanut crop provisions
U.S. Department of Agriculture officials say peanut grower boards, including the Peanut Commission in Georgia, helped develop the policy.
Farmers hesitant to change when corn prices low
Sugar beets could be a feed option for cattle, according to John Bernard, dairy cattle specialist with the University of Georgia College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences in Tifton. Cows like the beets, they are easily digestible and can be used as an energy source.
Local Jerry's will feature hamburgers, hot dogs, milkshakes, ice cream and more
After considering naming their newest restaurant after a well-known Albany bear, Stewbo’s restaurant group has decided their latest eatery will be named after another area character, Local Jerry.
Strive 2 Thrive vital to Nakoasha Dillard’s success
Former program graduate Nakoasha Dillard told members of the Kiwanis Club of Dougherty County that Strive 2 Thrive’s philosphy of providing “a hand up, not a hand out,” has been integral in her building a successful life for she and her son outside of the constraints of the poverty she grew up in.
Albany, Southwest Georgia unemployment rates at 9.2 percent and 9.1 percent, respectively
There were 60,500 jobs in Albany in August, unchanged from July, but down from 60,900 in August 2013. Most of the jobs were lost in trade and transportation and with the federal government, labor officials said.
'Downtowns on the Rise' offers hope for Albany revitalization
State redevelopment experts offer hope and advice on transforming Albany’s once bustling downtown.
Upbeat Economic Development Commission meeting filled with optimism
The Albany-Dougherty Economic Development Commission has been at the center of a number of high-profile projects.
New Mike's Country Store to open on Gillionville Road
Northwest Albany shoppers will soon have another grocery store option when Mike’s Country Store opens on Gillionville Road.
Cheddars looking at Albany site to retaurant
Albany diners may soon have another restaurant option as Cheddar’s is looking to make a move into Dougherty County. Although nothing has been finalized the restaurant chain is currently in negotiations to locate a facility on N. Westover Boulevard near Sam’s Club, according to sources close to the negotiations.
The event is scheduled for Saturday afternoon at Dillard's
Arriving in Parrott in 1978, Bond Anderson looked for musical work and began doing school residencies through the Georgia Council for the Arts Artist-in-Education program.
Plant would create 'green energy' for home products maker, Marine base
The Dougherty County Commission gives special approval to installation of a smokestack and boiler at a biomass energy plant that exceed county height restrictions.
Mars Site Manager Mack Phillips updates Dougherty Rotary on company
During its 50 year residency in Albany Mars Chocolate North America has proven to be an important community partner as well as distinguish itself as one of the top privately held companies in the world. Albany Site Manager Mack Phillips took time Tuesday to share some of what he feels makes the company an industry leader with members of the Dougherty Rotary Club.
Chaunte’l Powell joins Albany Herald staff
Chaunte’l Powell has joined the news staff of The Albany Herald and will be covering both sports and news stories.
Panel will discuss redeveloping and revitalizing historic downtowns
Next week Albany Mayor Dorothy Hubbard, through her Coalition for Economic Development, will be hosting the “Downtowns on the Rise” panel discussion to talk about ways to develop and revitalize historic downtowns.
Dougherty farm one of state's few African-American-owned farms held by family for 100-plus years
A Dougherty County family’s farm that has been in the family for eight generations is officially designated a Centennial Farm.
- Albany Area Kitchen Inspections - Oct. 6-17, 2014
- Albany Area Kitchen Inspections - Sept. 26-Oct. 1 , 2014
- Albany Area Kitchen Inspections - Sept. 14, 2014
- Albany Area Kitchen Inspections - Aug. 30-Sept. 3, 2014
- Albany Area Kitchen Inspections - Aug. 15-21, 2014
- Albany Area Kitchen Inspections - Aug. 8-14, 2014
- Albany Area Kitchen Inspections - Aug. 6, 2014
- Albany Area Kitchen Inspections - July 27, 2014
- Albany Area Kitchen Inspections - July 6, 2014
- Albany Area Kitchen Inspections - May 18, 2014
On the Job
- Albany Area Business Portfolio - Aug. 3, 2014
- Albany Business Portfolio - July 27, 2014
- Albany Area Business Portfolio - July 6, 2014
- On the Job with Gail Hall
- On the Job with Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital VP of Emergency Services Victor Garcia
- On the Job with Mona Qaqish
- Business Portfolio - March 2, 2014
- On the Job with Julie Miller
- On the Job with Cary Burcham
- On the Job with Dan Phillips
- Georgia ports provide jobs in metro area
- 'Treat Place' now a calling
- Two events deserve attention
- Hardy expanding meat business
- Positive signs for Synovus
- Deen gone, but not forgotten
- New growth for Albany
- Changes ahead at Chick-fil-A
- QU seeking boost from area backers
- Turner biggest landowner
- Can this phone revolutionize the smart phone market?
- Is the city set to kill the multimodal project? 1 comment
- Ya'll Come on Back Now, Ya' hear?
- New growth for Albany 12 comments
- Fifth Friday Foundation
- Baconton, North Mitchell County improve fire rating
- Still Pond Winery and Distillery