March unemployment rates are 7.2 percent in metro Albany, 7.1 percent in Southwest Georgia
The metro area rate declined as the number of unemployed residents decreased by 200 from 4,928 in February. The rate declined in the region as the number of unemployed residents decreased by 409 from 10,685 in the month prior, partially because employers laid off fewer workers, officials with the Labor Department said.
Albany officials hold off on management-level transportation hires
City of Albany Transportation Director David Hamilton says he can handle management of the city’s Transit System and the Southwest Georgia Regional Airport.
Input sought from more than 3,500 peanut producers
The survey can be accessed online through a link on the Georgia Peanut Commission’s website at www.gapeanuts.com.
Chamber officials caught off-guard by CEO’s unexpected announcement
After a three-year tenure as president of the Albany Area Chamber of Commerce, Chris Hardy announces his resignation.
Newman's Bar and Grill to open in early May
Albany diners and music lovers will soon have a new place to enjoy two of their favorite things when restaurateur Austin Newman opens his newest venture, Newman’s Bar and Grill, next month.
These establishments were inspected by the Dougherty and Lee County Environmental Health Offices April 10-April 17.
Albany postmaster sees promising future for post office
Gene Lofton came from Brunswick to take charge as Albany’s postmaster.
Hip-Hop conference in Albany examines aspects of art form
Circling the Elements, a national conference on hip-hop culture, continued through the weekend at Albany State University.
Resolution co-sponsored by U.S. Rep. Sanford Boshop, D-Albany, passes House
The Brady-Bishop Act would repeal the federal tax levied on estates. Currently estate inheritances over $5.4 million for an individual or $10.8 million for a couple can be taxed at rates as high as 40 percent.
Junior League of Albany to host Kids in the Kitchen event
This weekend members of the Junior League of Albany are hoping to share some healthy eating and lifestyle choices with area children when the organization hosts its annual Kids in the Kitchen event at the Albany Mall.
February and March rate of 6.3 percent best for state since July 2008
Georgia’s jobless rate for March matched the 6.3 percent it registered in February, the lowest rate the state has seen since mid 2008.
Consolidation avoids unnecessary duplication of services, Phoebe officials say
Over the next few weeks, there will be shifting of surgical cases, equipment and supplies from the nine operating rooms at Phoebe North to the Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital campus, where there are currently 19 operating rooms.
Public fear of privatization of EMS service draws large crowd to Lee County Commission meeting
Lee County’s Opal Cannon Auditorium was nearly full Tuesday night as concerned citizens showed up in droves to find out whether the Lee County Board of Commissioners was going to vote to privatize the county’s Emergency Medical Services at its latest county work session.
Event is aimed at workers and retireees who want to pursue a second career
Albany Technical College and the city of Albany will offer a Career Transition Fair 5:30 p.m.-7:30 p.m. Thursday and 10 a.m.-noon Saturday at the Albany Civic Center.
A change-of-command event is planned for MCLB-Albany in late May
Officials with the base confirmed Wednesday that Col. Don Davis, commanding officer of MCLB-Albany, would be leaving following a change of command that is to take place in late May. he is to continue his career with U.S. Northern Command in Colorado Springs, Colo. A formal announcement from the installation is expected in the coming days regarding the change of command.
- Albany Area Kitchen Inspections - March 27-April 3, 2015
- Albany Area Kitchen Inspections - Jan. 24-30, 2015
- Albany Area Kitchen Inspections - Dec. 19, 2014-Jan. 7, 2015
- Albany Area Kitchen Inspections - Dec. 11-18, 2014
- Albany Area Kitchen Inspections - Oct. 27 - Nov. 5, 2014
- Albany Area Kitchen Inspections - Oct. 6-17, 2014
- Albany Area Kitchen Inspections - Sept. 26-Oct. 1 , 2014
- Albany Area Kitchen Inspections - Sept. 14, 2014
- Albany Area Kitchen Inspections - Aug. 30-Sept. 3, 2014
- Albany Area Kitchen Inspections - Aug. 15-21, 2014
On the Job
- Albany Area Business Portfolio - Aug. 3, 2014
- Albany Business Portfolio - July 27, 2014
- Albany Area Business Portfolio - July 6, 2014
- On the Job with Gail Hall
- On the Job with Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital VP of Emergency Services Victor Garcia
- On the Job with Mona Qaqish
- Business Portfolio - March 2, 2014
- On the Job with Julie Miller
- On the Job with Cary Burcham
- On the Job with Dan Phillips
- Georgia ports provide jobs in metro area
- 'Treat Place' now a calling
- Two events deserve attention
- Hardy expanding meat business
- Positive signs for Synovus
- Deen gone, but not forgotten
- New growth for Albany
- Changes ahead at Chick-fil-A
- QU seeking boost from area backers
- Turner biggest landowner
- Can this phone revolutionize the smart phone market?
- Is the city set to kill the multimodal project? 1 comment
- Ya'll Come on Back Now, Ya' hear?
- New growth for Albany 12 comments
- Fifth Friday Foundation
- Baconton, North Mitchell County improve fire rating
- Still Pond Winery and Distillery