Top Latest southwest Georgia news by The Albany Herald Newspaper in Albany, GA and albanyherald.com stories
Offices up for election in Albany includes mayor and commissioners of Wards I, IV and VI
A weeklong qualifying period for the Nov. 3 municipal election in Albany started today.
Tannur, Njemile Ali open their home for unique educational opportunities
iLOGIC is poet Tannur Ali’s community education program that broadens learning opportunities.
Artists for Animals to benefit Albany Humane Society
Artists and supporters will once again join forces to help raise money and awareness for the Albany Humane Society nexst month at the second annual Artists for Animals fundraiser at the Albany Museum of Art.
Ron Simpson, a former senior wildlife biologist, discusses his African safari with Dougherty Kiwanis
Ron Simpson spent a week in southern Africa photographing wildlife of the region
Ron Simpson, a former senior wildlife biologist with the Georgia Department of Natural Resources, enjoys “taking the road less traveled,” and he did so in style in February when he and his wife took a photo safari across southern Africa.
With a drip system, efficiency rate for water is as high as 95 percen
While not suitable for all peanut fields, sub-surface drip could be used in smaller fields with irregular shapes where pivots are unable to travel and in those with dry corners.
More Latest southwest Georgia news by The Albany Herald Newspaper in Albany, GA and albanyherald.com
Rates for Albany, Southwest Georgia at 8 percent and 7.7 percent, respectively
The metro Albany rate rose as the number of jobs decreased by 300 in July to 59,900. The job losses came in the service-related industries, including trade, transportation and warehousing and government, labor officials said.
Suspect charged with assault and evidence tampering
Richard M. Butler is arrested and charged with aggravated assault and tampering with evidence in connection with shooting his cousin in south Albany on Wednesday.
Jimmy Carter teaching Sunday School in Plains
Greater Fellowship Christian Ministries, 3352 Palmyra Road, Leesburg, will host a free blood pressure clinic at 11 a.m. Saturday.
City manager says infrastructure upgrades should be part of strategic plan
Albany Utility Board member Chad Warbington’s suggestion that surplus funds be used for a rate cut or rebates is debated by City Manager Sharon Subadan.
Public safety roundup for Albany and Dougherty County
The Albany Police Department responded to at least 24 calls on Wednesday and the early hours of Thursday, available reports show.
Raelynn Huff, 2, died Aug. 17
Jamie and Lonnie Jacobs have each been charged with second-degree murder and second-degree cruelty to children in the death of 2-year-old daughter Raelynn Huff.
The investigation is looking at possible irregularities within the department
Albany State University Interim President Art Dunning confirmed late Wednesday afternoon that the university and the University System of Georgia had begun a probe into possible irregularities in ASU’s Financial Aid Office.
Valdosta State University student is first in Georgia to be diagnosed with plague
Hannah Lindquist, who was likely infected with bubonic plague by a flea bite while at Yosemite National Park, is recuperating at home and is medically cured, but it will be some time before she’s feeling 100 percent, her father says.
First Albany showing slated for 7 p.m. today at Carmike Wynnsong 16
The film is the first to be made by Kendrick Brothers Productions since the company was formed in 2013. Under Sherwood Pictures, Alex Kendrick and Stephen Kendrick — while serving as pastors at Sherwood Baptist Church — were involved in the production of four other movies.
Temperatures, rainfall, and sun and moon information for the Albany area
Temperatures, rainfall, and sun and moon information for the Albany area.
Pick up a copy of The Albany Herald to see what everyone is squawking about!
Victim died of unrelated causes
An autopsy reveals that Kent Adam died of causes unrelated to injuries in Lee fight.
Yathomas Riley indicted in death of his wife
Yathomas Riley, a former pro boxer, is indicted on murder charges by a Lee County grand jury Wednesday.
Albany native reportedly will be on season 21 of the dancing series
Celebrity chef Paula Deen has reportedly been cast in season 21 of “Dancing With the Stars,” along with Nick Carter of the Backstreet Boys, Triple Crown-winning jockey Victor Espinoza and the previously announced Bindi Irwin of “Crocodile Hunter” fame.
Falling enrollment numbers, duplication of services cited in decision
The Dougherty County School Board on Wednesday voted 5-2 for a two-year phase out of Albany Early College (AEC). Board members Lane Price and Milton “June Bug” Griffin were the dissenting votes.
- BARRY LEVINE: Nice to be first in the music world
- Ron Simpson, a former senior wildlife biologist, discusses his African safari with Dougherty Kiwanis
- Weeklong municipal election qualifying in Albany starts
- ILOGIC a different kind of community education | PHOTOS
- Squawk of the Day - Aug. 31, 2015
- Revolution in hospital food under way
- Dougherty County Jail Report - Aug. 20-26, 2015
- Georgia Political Briefs
- Artists for Animals fundraiser set for Sept. 15
- 'War Room' stuns box office watchers with $11 million debut
Obituaries: Albany and Southwest Georgia
- Linda Martin
- Annie Lou Major
- Ernestine Phipps
- Elsie Mills Henson
- Lyndsie Beggs Brooker
- Cheryol Ford
- Stephen Lee Walker
- Richard Jawaski Butler
- Geraldine Tinsley Taylor
- Arva Ward Williams
Southwest Georgia Public Safety news from The Albany Herald and albanyherald.com
- Dougherty County Jail Report - Aug. 20-26, 2015
- Remnants of Erika likely mean a wet week ahead for Albany area
- Albany-Dougherty Police/Fire/EMS reports - Aug. 28-29, 2015
- MCLB-Albany, FEMA prepare for Tropical Storm Erika UPDATE: 11:15 a.m.
- Albany defendant found not guilty of murder
- Albany Marine colonel faces new child porn charges
- Albany city manager announces employee raises at summit
- Albany Area Crime Stoppers Most Wanted Fugitive - Alonzo Rashad Faison
- Cousin arrested in Newton Road shooting
- Mother, stepfather charged in Worth County child death
- Can this phone revolutionize the smart phone market?
- Sometimes a picture says it all ... 3 comments
- Is the city set to kill the multimodal project? 1 comment
- When did bashing a police officer become patriotic? 5 comments
- Oh the irony...legislators ban cameras from hearing on 'Open Government' 4 comments
- Whitney Houston
- Good, good, good
- SPEAK UP!
- Dogs, family and food
- Commissioner officially gets 'schooled' 1 comment