The District has cut furlough days from six to four over the past six months
The Dougherty County School Board on Monday cut another employee furlough day
Public is warned not to approach gunman in green hoodie
Albany police have issued a lookout for an armed robbery on South Slappey. He is 5-9, 160 pounds and wearing green hoodie with white stripes and green shoes. Believed to be in Gordon-Lincoln area.
Get a copy of The Albany Herald to read about the Bright Side of life.
Get a copy of The Albany Herald to read what everyone is squawking about.
Dr. Paul Jones is committed to helping Darton despite being in an interim position
Darton State College interim President Dr. Paul Jones says he’ll do the job as if he wasn’t the interim.
CCSS in the market for its next superintendent
After three years on the job, Danny Ellis is retiring as Calhoun County School superintendent
No change in plans to open a new Arctic Bear; more meetings to come
After meeting with members of Norton Johnston’s family this weekend, Stewbo’s Restaurant Group has not made any formal changes to plans about opening a new Arctic Bear restaurant in northwest Albany.
Denver Hooten says Dougherty County tax collection rates consistently at 99 percent
Dougherty County’s outgoing tax director says economics is chief cause for increase in uncollected taxes.
Weekend public safety roundup for Albany-Dougherty County
The Albany Police Department responded to at least 10 incidents Saturday, Sunday and into the early hours of Monday, available reports show.
One passenger killed when driver runs into tree on Harris Road
Two men were involved in a crash late Saturday evening, one of whom was killed, police officials say.
Travelers exposing children to measles partly to blame for outbreak
While measles is not a common disease, thanks to inoculation efforts, it is still considered a deadly threat due to some of the people out there who have still not been immunized.
A man and his dog dead following Albany fire
A fire that was called in early Sunday is believed to have orginated from the kitchen stove, Albany fire officials say.
An armed robbery and attempted robbery investigated by Albany police
It is believed that an armed robbery on Saturday at one business is connected to an attempted robbery at another, Albany police officials say.
Missing fugitive caught without incident
Bobby Smith had been missing from the Albany Transitional Center since Nov. 17.
These are individuals who were booked into the Dougherty County Jail Dec. 2-5, 2013.
The booking listing includes name, date of booking, law enforcement agency and reason for booking, along with bond and date of release when applicable.
- Reduced-price tickets for Wanee Music Festival on sale
- Walter Flint to recount Christmases past at Thronateeska
- BARRY LEVINE: Reflecting on holiday favorites
- Christmas parades into Leesburg (PHOTO GALLERY)
- Albany Chorale boasts rich and varied heritage
- Albany Flint RiverQuarium celebrating 'Twelve Days of Fishmas'
- Lee County hosting pet parade
- Lee County School System Notebook - Dec. 4, 2013
- St. Teresa's preparing for Holly Berry Market
- Christmas will come with Celtic flair at Albany Symphony Orchestra performances
Features Analysis and Opinion
- MANDY FLYNN: Listen up, honey ... oh, never mind
- MICHELE MOULTON: Family is what matters most
- BARRY LEVINE: Reflecting on holiday favorites
- MARY BRASWELL: Looking Back - December 1893
- CREEDE HINSHAW: Faith is expressed in a myriad of ways
- T. GAMBLE: We can soar like war eagles
- LORAN SMITH: Immigrants saga an inspiring story
- RONDA RICH: Encouragement is the milk of kindness
- KEVIN SPROUL: It's all about the youth
- BARRY LEVINE: Just wondering about a few things
Latest southwest Georgia news by The Albany Herald Newspaper in Albany, GA and albanyherald.com
- Dougherty School Board gives employees a furlough day back
- Armed robbery suspect sought
- Bright of the Day - Dec. 10, 2013
- Squawk of the Day - Dec. 10, 2013
- Darton interim president fully committed to growth
- Danny Ellis stepping down as Calhoun County Schools superintendent
- Arctic Bear family meets with Stewbo’s about use of name
- Dougherty tax director says uncollected property taxes ‘mushrooming’
- Albany-Dougherty Police/Fire/EMS reports — Dec. 10, 2013
- Man dies in Dougherty County crash
- Can this phone revolutionize the smart phone market?
- Sometimes a picture says it all ... 3 comments
- Is the city set to kill the multimodal project? 1 comment
- When did bashing a police officer become patriotic? 5 comments
- Oh the irony...legislators ban cameras from hearing on 'Open Government' 4 comments
- Good, good, good
- SPEAK UP!
- Dogs, family and food
- Commissioner officially gets 'schooled' 1 comment
- City commission meeting moved