Albany utility officials prepare the city's official Christmas tree for Saturday's events.
Members of the family of the late Joe Courson will light the tree before Albany's Celebration of Lights parade.
Girl Scouts hosting holiday drop-in event for supporters, community leaders
A holiday event set for Thursday will highlight the accomplishments of the Girl Scouts in Albany.
Public safety roundup for the Albany-Dougherty County area from the weekend and into Monday
The Albany Police Department responded to at least 35 incidents on Saturday, Sunday and into the early hours of Monday, available reports show.
Husband and wife detained after the husband fired shots toward police
No injuries were reported after a 39-year-old man fired shots toward several Albany law enforcement officers on Nov. 23, reports show.
Reastgo Holmes sentenced to probation for pandering
A former Westover High School teacher, convicted last month of pandering, has been sentenced to two decades of probation and must register as a sex offender per an order that came down in Dougherty Superior Court on Monday.
Nearly 100 are recognized at Albany Tech's Honors Day
Albany Technical College held its Fall Honors Day on Monday, recognizing nearly 100 worthy students.
Fifteen people lost their lives on Georgia highways and roads over the Thanksgiving holiday period
The 15 traffic deaths in Georgia over the the 102-hour Thanksgiving travel period were six fewer than the deaths from wrecks during the holiday period in 2012.
Escapee spotted this morning by Oak Hill Dairy Farm
Bobby Smith has been missing since he failed to report back to the Albany Transition Center prior to the Thanksgiving holiday.
Good news from around the Dougherty County School System
The Public Information Office of the Dougherty County School System was recognized at the Georgia School Public Relations Association 2013 Annual Conference.
The Christmas season gets in full swing this week in Metro Albany.
Saturday will be perhaps the busiest of the year in terms of activities in Metro Albany.
Contracts pending on several area properties
A local real estate agent says she is looking at a number of potential business moves on property throughout Dougherty County.
Musical event expected to be first of regular Darton series
The Kinchafoonee Cowboys, Highway 55 and the Jodi Mann Band will perform at a Darton College musical fundraiser.
Calhoun County native has lived in England for past 16 years
Sonja Lewis will return home to Calhoun County for a Thanksgiving visit with her family.
Michael Lee Tatum, 21, is wanted on theft and burglary charges in Dougherty County.
Albany and Dougherty County authorities are asking for tips on the location of Michael Lee Tatum.
Get a copy of The Albany Herald to see what evryone is squawking about.
- Lee County hosting pet parade
- Lee County School System Notebook - Dec. 4, 2013
- St. Teresa's preparing for Holly Berry Market
- Christmas will come with Celtic flair at Albany Symphony Orchestra performances
- Albany Area Coming Up Calendar - Dec. 4-10, 2013
- Albany Christmas tree installed (VIDEO)
- Jingle Bell Jam fundraiser benefits Darton, community
- BARRY LEVINE: Just wondering about a few things
- Theatre Albany plans plenty of 'Nunsense' for Christmas
- Ballet Theater South presenting 'Peter Pan' in Albany
Features Analysis and Opinion
- T. GAMBLE: We can soar like war eagles
- LORAN SMITH: Immigrants saga an inspiring story
- RONDA RICH: Encouragement is the milk of kindness
- KEVIN SPROUL: It's all about the youth
- BARRY LEVINE: Just wondering about a few things
- KIRSTEN LUPINSKI: Have a healthy holiday season
- MANDY FLYNN: Mirror, mirror on the counter ...
- MARY BRASWELL: Looking Back - Dec. 1, 2013
- CREEDE HINSHAW: Affordable Health Care Act draws another challenge
- LAURA WILLIAMS: Thanksgiving traditions make good memories
Latest southwest Georgia news by The Albany Herald Newspaper in Albany, GA and albanyherald.com
- Dougherty County schools may reduce furlough days by one
- Albany-Dougherty County Police/Fire/EMS reports - Dec. 5, 2013
- Squawk of the Day - Dec. 5, 2013
- Leesburg City Council OKs resolution designating U.S. Highway 19 as Veterans Memorial Highway
- Albany police issue burglary alert
- Albany Almanac - Dec. 5, 2013
- U.S. Senate candidate Michelle Nunn visits Albany Technical College
- Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital approves audited financial statements
- Robert Cross wins Middle School Academic Bowl (VIDEO)
- Dougherty County Jail Report - Dec. 4, 2013
- Can this phone revolutionize the smart phone market?
- Sometimes a picture says it all ... 3 comments
- Is the city set to kill the multimodal project? 1 comment
- When did bashing a police officer become patriotic? 5 comments
- Oh the irony...legislators ban cameras from hearing on 'Open Government' 4 comments
- Good, good, good
- SPEAK UP!
- Dogs, family and food
- Commissioner officially gets 'schooled' 1 comment
- City commission meeting moved