The new law will enhance the quality of services provided by the Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Disabilities
Deal signs new law, talks about Port of Savannah Project and an attack by GOP gubernatorial challenger David Pennington
Get a copy of The Albany Herald to see what everyone is squawking about.
Get a copy of The Albany Herald to read about the Bright Side of life.
News briefs from the Albany area
Public service roundup for Albany and Dougherty County
The Albany Police Department responded to at least 37 incidents on Monday and the early hours of Tuesday, available reports show.
School superintendent teacher will be fired
Dougherty County School Superintendent David Mosely says accused teacher will be fired.
Development would include new Wal-Mart grocery concept, fueling station
The Albany City Commission paves the way for a new Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market near the corner of Westover Boulevard and Gillionville Road.
OPINION: Republics need a new strategy with 2016 on the horizon
The GOP’s strategy of alienating women and minorities doesn’t play well in presidential politics.
The unexpected loss of $2.6 in equalization funding complicates adding instruction days and eliminating furloughs
Elimination of four furlough days for Dougherty County School System staff would cost $2 million.
Cop jailed in Sylvester
A longtime Sylvester law enforcement officer is arrested on charges of evidence tampering and making false statements.
Trojan Warrior Challenge fitness fundraiser will benefit Lee County Special Olympics
Lee County Special Olympics will be getting a boost this weekend when area athletes gather for the Trojan Warrior Challenge fitness fundraiser.
The following is a list of events happening in the area this week.
Temperatures, rainfall, and sun and moon information for the Albany area
Temperatures, rainfall, and sun and moon information for the Albany area.
The county’s Teacher of the Year will be announced at a banquet Thursday
Sandra Masters is one of eight finalists for Dougherty County Teacher of the Year.
The event was held last week at Darton State College
Ten Deerfield students place in foreign language competition.
- Pop singer Miley Cyrus cancels concerts after hospitalization
- Paul Walker's brothers to fill in for late actor in 'Fast & Furious 7'
- BARRY LEVINE: The end of Beatlemania
- Stephen Colbert named as next host of CBS 'Late Show' to replace Letterman
- Allman Brothers Band's 10-year run as Wanee festival hosts to end with headlining performances
- George Strait wins Academy of Country Music Entertainer of the Year (Photo Galleries)
- Cable TV network location scouts visit Albany
- Albany Symphony to present Italian opera for season finale
- Uncle Bubba's, co-owned by Paula Deen, closes
- The Big 10 - March 21-28, 2014
Features Analysis and Opinion
- MANDY FLYNN: Internet shopping lays a goose egg
- MARY BRASWELL: Looking Back, April 20, 2014
- T. GAMBLE: Rights break out right and left
- MANDY FLYNN: You have arrived eventually
- BARRY LEVINE: The end of Beatlemania
- MARY BRASWELL: Looking Back, April 13, 2014
- CREEDE HINSHAW: Kuyper provides great example of building bridges
- T. GAMBLE: Fathead unravels spring cleaning chore
- RONDA RICH: A Southern conversion
- Website offers unique social opportunities
Latest southwest Georgia news by The Albany Herald Newspaper in Albany, GA and albanyherald.com
- Squawk of the day - April 20, 2014
- Bright of the day - April 20, 2014
- Albany Area Births - April 20, 2014
- Albany Area Community Calendar - April 20-28, 2014
- Albany Area Briefs - April 20, 2014
- Worth agent middleman for agricultural information
- Business Portfolio - April 18, 2014
- CARLTON FLETCHER: 'Regifting' reaquaints long-lost 'friends'
- Elmore creating legacy through Littlest Library program
- Strother: Little libraries belong to community
- Can this phone revolutionize the smart phone market?
- Sometimes a picture says it all ... 3 comments
- Is the city set to kill the multimodal project? 1 comment
- When did bashing a police officer become patriotic? 5 comments
- Oh the irony...legislators ban cameras from hearing on 'Open Government' 4 comments
- Good, good, good
- SPEAK UP!
- Dogs, family and food
- Commissioner officially gets 'schooled' 1 comment
- City commission meeting moved
- Dougherty County Commission Chair candidates
- Dougherty County 2014-15 Teacher of the Year Named
- Gov. Nathan Deal signs SB 349 in Albany