Suspect accused of taking wallet by force
A police lookout has been issued for Vashaun Banks in connection with a May 25 robbery by force.
The Albany Police Department responded to at least 16 calls on Tuesday and the early hours of Wednesday, available reports show.
Up to $5 million in Job-Enhancement Funds may be used for development of inner city
Albany city commissioners OK a plan to use Job-Enhancement Funds to spur downtown redevelopment.
Pick up a copy of The Albany Herald to see what everyone is squawking about!
Mark Lowry, Stan Whitmire to appear at 10th annual event to benefit Meals on Wheels
The fundraiser, the most significant one of the year for the council, has gained momentum through increased community support. This has allowed coordinators to book someone who is more well known while also making sure there is enough in the proceeds to make the effort worthwhile.
GEORGIA CLIPPINGS: A weekly look at home gardens and landscapes
Now is the time for rooting plant materials from cuttings, taking soil samples and having them analyzed for improved soil and plant health, and developing plans for your fall landscape needs.
The following is a list of events happening in the area this week.
THE RECIPE BOX: Roasted peaches
Roasted peaches simply another way to enjoy delicious fruit
Formerly all weather drawings, the front page art will have open themes
Drawings by young artists will be displayed daily on the front page of The Albany Herald and compiled into a monthly picture gallery on albanyherald.com.
Study shows black women, children in rural South rank last in social indicators
A report based on more than 200 listening sessions with black women and girls in the Black Belt of Mississippi, Alabama and Georgia shows a glaring disparity in social indicators.
No sentencing date set for Blackshear
Ulysses Blackshear, 46, was sentenced in Baker County Superior for the murder of William Land.
The Dougherty County School System and the Albany Area YMCA have renewed their 21st Century Community Learning Centers (CCLC) partnership for five years with two grants worth a combined $3,870,000 over the next five years beginning in FY16.
Videos showing Planned Parenthood officials discussing sale of fetal tissue spark reaction from lawmakers
While the U.S. House and states including Georgia investigate Planned Parenthood’s activities in obtaining and selling aborted fetal tissue, the U.S. Senate contemplates a vote on ending federal funding for the non-profit organization.
Open Arms was founded in 1991 to fight child abuse following a recommendation by a grand jury
As executive Director of Open Arms, an organization which bring healing, hope, and help to children, adults, and their families in need of support, intervention and prevention as a result of child abuse, Fonda Thompson has seen many disturbing things.
REACH is a needs-based mentoring/scholarship program
Jeff Sinyard, an Albany businessman and former Dougherty County Commission chairman, will serve on the scholarship board of Georgia’s Realizing Educational Achievment Can Happen program, which is designed to boost chances for students to graduate high school and college, and enter the workforce prepared.
- Krista Allen lands Significant role
- Albany Area Arts Council to open new exhibit by Albany artist guild members | PHOTO GALLERY
- GA Music Awards voting closes soon
- Albany Burn Fest offers multiple attractions
- Illusionist sells the impossible
- Chewbacca actor, 'Star Trek' actress among stars heading to Dragon Con
- BARRY LEVINE: One quick quiz before school starts
- New series recounts 'Answered Prayers'
- Kix Brooks has a lot at 'steak' in new show
- CARLTON FLETCHER: A mature Luke Bryan's fifth album is his best yet
Features Analysis and Opinion
- MARY BRASWELL: Looking Back at sisters | QUIK QUIZ
- MANDY FLYNN: Oh, those heavenly aromas
- LORAN SMITH: Margraten keeps memory of WWII servicemen alive
- BARRY LEVINE: One quick quiz before school starts
- MANDY FLYNN: You can't miss what you don't know
- MARY BRASWELL: Looking back at Disneyland | QUIK QUIZ
- PERRY BUCHANAN: Seven habits of highly fit people
- CREEDE HINSHAW: Signs that summer's reached the church pews
- RONDA RICH: Hollywood gets it wrong again
- JULIE WELLS: Top banana bread bars with icing for a moist, sweet treat
Latest southwest Georgia news by The Albany Herald Newspaper in Albany, GA and albanyherald.com
- Tracy Taylor to challenge incumbent Mayor Dorothy Hubbard
- Albany Area Chamber of Commerce to host state of the community luncheon
- Business Portfolio - Aug. 2, 2015
- BARRY LEVINE: Old Rocker: Aug. 2, 2015
- Modern day trapper loves his work
- CARLTON FLETCHER: Top 10 words, phrases we can do without on TV
- ALBANY BIRTHS: July 19 - 27, 2015
- Albany Briefs - Aug. 2, 2015
- Squawk of the Day - Aug. 2, 2015
- Confederate flag supporters: Rallies are about heritage, not racism
- Can this phone revolutionize the smart phone market?
- Sometimes a picture says it all ... 3 comments
- Is the city set to kill the multimodal project? 1 comment
- When did bashing a police officer become patriotic? 5 comments
- Oh the irony...legislators ban cameras from hearing on 'Open Government' 4 comments
- Good, good, good
- SPEAK UP!
- Dogs, family and food
- Commissioner officially gets 'schooled' 1 comment
- City commission meeting moved