OUTLOOK 2014: The area's leaders of higher education to collaborate on improving learning in the region and stanching Dougherty County’s drop out rate.
Albany State, Darton State and Albany Tech to take aim at county’s drop out rate. Instututions of higher education want to improve learning in the region.
OUTLOOK 2014: Sherwood will consolidate Upper and Lower school campuses, launch major capital projects
Deerfield-Windsor celebrates 50th Anniversary; Sherwood Academy undergoes major transformation, consolidationg its Upper and Lower campuses.
OUTLOOK 2014: A refurbished Dougherty High School set to reopen in August of next year
Dougherty High renovations ongoing, Lee County looking to athletics facilities upgrades
Allison Goddard, a homeschooled students, is the American Legion Georgia District II Oratory Contest winner
Allison Goddard will represent Albany Post 30 in the Area II district competition Sunday
Allison Goddard is American Legion Georgia District II Oratory Contest winner. She will represent Albany Post 30 in the Area II competition Sunday afternoon at Darton State College.
The contest is conducted in connection with National Engineers Week
The competition is open to all high- and middle-school students. Schools may enter several teams.
One winner with a Path2College savings plan will win $15,000, with $10,000 going to the child’s school
Path2College 529 Director Mitch Seabaugh urges parents to start saving for college now. Program officials hopes a $25,000 sweepstakes will help spread the word.
The goal of the group is to create a roadmap for improving academic achievement in the Dougherty County School System
The presidents of Albany’s university and colleges and the Dougherty County School System superintendent gather for second round of talks on a roadmap to improve academic achievement in the Dougherty County School System.
Kevin Fretwell has agreed to be reassigned for the remainder of the term and will resign at the end of the school year
Kevin Fretwell told Dougherty County school officials that he provided copies of Westover High School student records to The Albany Herald, which led to an internal investigation by the superintendent’s office.
Students and staff were sent home for the day on Wednesday
“Natural gas smell” prompts evacuation of Albany High. Albany Fire Department is on the scene
The STAR Teacher instructed the winner in Advance Plancement Human Geography.
Good news and notes from around the Dougherty County School System
Dougherty County School System Notebook
News about area students
Lamar Reese Elementary School honors namesake with surprise birthday party
Lamar Reese gets birthday surprise at the elementary school which bears his name
Freedom Shrine displays important historical documents, including the Constitution and Declaration of Independence
Students at the Deerfield Windsor School Lower Campus got a glimpse into history this week as the Exchange Club of Albany dedicated its latest Freedom Shrine in the school’s cafeteria.
The committee of the whole is looking at the resumes of 24 people interested in the position
Dougherty School Board begins reviews of permanent superintendent candidates. The committee of the whole is looking at the resumes of 24 people interested in the position.
- Albany State, Darton State and Albany Tech to take aim at county's dropout rate
- Critics of state health plan take message to Capitol
- Dougherty School Board OKs grade-changing settlement between Kevin Fretwell and the district
- State school chief hopeful Allen Fort brings campaign to Albany
- Educators pleased with Gov. Deal’s proposed FY2015 Budget
- Darton State, Darton Foundation respond to findings of audit (REPORT ATTACHED)
- Georgia ranks 17th nationally in K-12 achievement
- State Rep. Ed Rynders predicts state budget surplus
- Gov. Nathan Deal speaks to Darton graduates
- Governor to speak at Darton graduation
Southwest Georgia political news from The Albany Herald newspaper in Albany, Ga. and albanyherald.com
- Three seeking county commission seats in Lee County
- Medical marijuana bill passes Georgia House
- Georgia Supreme Court to hear appeal in Baker County School Board case
- Immigration may be next up for U.S. House
- Southwest Georgia congressional delegation mixed on reactions to State of the Union address (VIDEOS)
- Jeff Sinyard will not seek re-election to Dougherty County Commission chairmanship
- U.S. Rep. Jack Kingston rebuts perk claim
- Col. Allen West to speak at Lincoln Day event in Lee County
- U.S. Rep. Sanford Bishop has successful battle with cancer
- Southwest Georgians named in Georgia Trend as among 100 most influential Georgians
Southwest Georgia government news from The Albany Herald Newspaper in Albany, Ga. and albanyherald.com
- City of Albany’s Fiscal Year 2013 audit report a good-news, bad-news mix
- Medical marijuana bill passes Georgia House
- Dougherty County police, fire studies show limited viable options
- Albany City Commission decides to table pit bulldog ordinance
- Albany City Commission must tackle a number of key issues in 2014
- Jeff Sinyard: Coming changes cannot detract from County Commission's focus
- Dougherty County community tennis center part of mega sports park plan
- Auction of four city of Albany properties brings in $566,000, pending commission approval
- Task force convenes to discuss Albany sign ordinance
- Dog dispute in Lee County likely headed to court
- Sometimes a picture says it all ... 3 comments
- Is the city set to kill the multimodal project? 1 comment