School teacher Kelly Tucker suspended for a work week following her response to a Facebook question regarding a "Black Lives Matter" protest sign at Tifton's Christmas parade.
Century-old courtroom furniture donated to Albany Tech
Albany Technical College celebrates its new courtroom lab and century-old furniture.
Darton State College, Albany State University to host Region 4 Kennedy Center/American College Theatre Festival
Students from around the southeast to celebrate the best and most diverse work produced by college and university theatre programs
Approximately 1,200 students and faculty will be visiting Darton State College and Albany State University to celebrate the Region 4 Kennedy Center/American College Theatre Festival (KCACTF).
Shirley and Charles Sherrod to kick off event with a presentation at the Albany Civil Rights Institute
Speakers, poets and singers to highlight Albany State University’s celebration of Black History Month
This accreditation period will span five years
A team representing SAIS conducted an on-site visit to review Deerfields self-study and standards compliance and its adherence to its mission.
Riggins is named chair on a 4-3 vote and replaces former chair Carol Tharin
The vote was split along racial lines with Junebug Griffin, James Bush, Velvet Riggins and Dean Phinazee opting for Riggins while Lane Price, Robert Youngblood and Melissa Strother voting for Youngblood.
Superintendent Butch Mosely says the district has the resources to help the flagging school
Westover instructed to take Title I funds for the first time in school history
Powell-Sims thinks her experience as a teacher and administrator will be helpful in the discussions
Freddie Powell-Sims ‘delighted’ to be named to the governor’s Education Reform Commission
Dougherty School Chief Butch Mosely speaks at monthly community meeting at civil rights museum
School chief Butch Mosely touts school system progress to Albany Civil Rights Institute.
Warrants charging sexual assault have been issued for the former Sherwood girls soccer coach
Jason Schultz, a former coach of girls soccer at Sherwood Christian Academy, is charged with sexual assault. Schultz, who lives in South Carolina, has until Jan. 30 to turn himself in to Dougherty County authorities.
College officials said the need to improve efficiencies and effectiveness led to the decision
Darton State College reduces workforce to address an ongoing need to improve efficiencies and effectiveness.
Default judgment motion to add 2 assistants to bullying suit against Dougherty County School System is denied
Action on amended complaint does not affect original filing
Superior court judge Stephen Goss denies Manswell Peterson’s request for summary judgment in his bullying suit against the Dougherty County School System.
The latest twist in an ongoing 14-year saga a tough pill to swallow.
Funding for a new fine arts center at Albany State University once again left out of budget.
The 1954 Supreme Court decision effectively outlawed segregation in the U.S.
ASU’s M.L. King Convocation speaker Cheryl Brown Henderson was a part Brown vs. Board of Education lawsuit, which was a landmark case in the civil rights movement.
- Senate Democrats want say in Gov. Nathan Deal's 'Opportunity Schools' proposal
- Albany Technical College set to roast former Dougherty District Attorney Ken Hodges at fundraiser
- Former Deerfield Headmaster W.T. Henry named to Georgia Board of Education
- Retired ABAC professor opens one-man exhibit
- Albany to host economic forum
- Albany Technical College named TCSG College of the Year runner-up
- University of Georgia set to release findings of month-long educational listening sessions
- Judge Louis Sands named to Mercer Board of Trustees
- Georgia Association of Educators endorses Jason Carter for governor
- Ruling allows exemptions for bake sales
Southwest Georgia political news from The Albany Herald newspaper in Albany, Ga. and albanyherald.com
- Rep. Darrel Ealum to speak at Albany town hall meeting
- U.S. Sen. David Perdue of Georgia opposes attorney general nominee
- State Rep. Ed Rynders co-sponsors bill to make early voting uniform across Georgia
- Capitol Votes -- Jan. 16-22, 2015
- Founding Fathers got started as Sons of Liberty
- Southwest Georgia congressional delegation reacts to State of the Union speech
- As General Assembly session begins, transportation, education top the list of priorties
- Capitol Votes by Georgia delegation -- week ending Jan. 8, 2015
- Mathis certain he'll qualify for Albany mayoral run; Hubbard nears decision
- After two decades in Washington, U.S. Sen. Saxby Chambliss bids D.C. adieu
Southwest Georgia government news from The Albany Herald Newspaper in Albany, Ga. and albanyherald.com
- Changes under way at Grand Island Golf Club in Lee County
- Utility initiatives adding to Albany's bottom line
- Hugh Mills Stadium upgrade to include artificial turf
- Dougherty County commissioners to take closer look at drug fund usage
- Dougherty County Commission to consider greenspace master plan
- Albany and Dougherty County Police/Fire/EMS reports: Feb. 21-23, 2015
- Albany Area Chamber of Commerce delegation to visit Georgia Capitol
- Dougherty County leaders plan for employee pay raises
- Albany leaders have one eye on 2015, the other on 2018
- Albany officials ready to tackle downtown
- Sometimes a picture says it all ... 3 comments
- Is the city set to kill the multimodal project? 1 comment