The career program open to area seniors and juniors
Seniors and juniors from Baker, Calhoun, Colquitt, Dougherty, Decatur, Early, Grady, Lee, Miller, Mitchell, Seminole, Terrell, Thomas and Worth counties have been invited to participate.
A compilation of news from the Dougherty County public schools
A snapshot of recent events and achievements in the Dougherty County School System.
Interim superintendent says he would stay if asked
Mosely says there are a number of hot spots that still need addressing, including marginal employees.
Medical school dean addresses Dougherty Rotary Club on progress of medical education
The Medical College of Georgia has several clinical campuses throughout the state, including one based at Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital in Albany.
The team advances to the State Final set for Saturday in Milledgeville
Robert Cross Middle School wins Region Academic Bowl championship, advances to the State Final set for Saturday in Milledgeville
Interim president feels ASU can do more for Albany and southwest Georgia through partnerships
Having been in place as Albany State University’s interim president for over a month, Dr. Arthur N. Dunning already sees ways in which his past experiences can help the school grow and emerge as an integral part of Albany and the southwest Georgia community.
Albany Elite Sports Tiger Paws cheerleaders work on more than stunts
Senior Tiger Paws and Junior Tiger Paws are part of the Albany Elite Sports program that also emphasized academics and good behavior.
The Committee also approves $77,000 in change orders for Dougherty High Phase II work.
DCSS Buildings and Grounds Committee squable over list of approved Design-Build teams.
Governor includes $1.4 million in FY 2015 budget for Albany State University Fine Arts Center design work
Dougherty County legislative delegation members had hoped to get the full $24 million funding for the center
State Rep. Carol Fullerton says the governor wanted fresher design work before fully funding the long-awaited fine arts center project at Albany State University.
Dougherty BOE sends architectural and maintenance recommendations back to committee
Dougherty County School Board approves Title I-A grants, but sends architectural and maintenance recommendations back to committee
Dunning greets community at introduction reception
Albany State University Interim President Arthur Dunning meets the media and members of the community at a reception held on campus Monday night.
Westover High had won the past four competitions
Albany High wins Academic Decathlon, Westover High had won the past four competitions
A Board of Regents limited audit report revealed major compliance issues at Darton State College
Paul Jones sees the seriousness of correcting Darton State College’s problems after a regents audit report revealed major compliance issues. Jones says he is working to change the culture at the college. (Audit report attached to article)
Georgia Board of Regents releases results of a limited four-month audit of Darton State College
The Georgia Board of Regents recently released the findings of a 2013 audit of Darton State College, which cites six areas of “material” concern dealing with issues ranging from not properly keeping track of the academic progress of students receiving federal financial aid to improper use of grant money.
School system needs to apply for hardship waiver for Georgia's direct classroom expenditures rule
The state requires that school systems spend 65 percent of their operating expenditures on direct classroom instruction.
- Albany State, Darton State and Albany Tech to take aim at county's dropout rate
- Critics of state health plan take message to Capitol
- Dougherty School Board OKs grade-changing settlement between Kevin Fretwell and the district
- State school chief hopeful Allen Fort brings campaign to Albany
- Educators pleased with Gov. Deal’s proposed FY2015 Budget
- Darton State, Darton Foundation respond to findings of audit (REPORT ATTACHED)
- Georgia ranks 17th nationally in K-12 achievement
- State Rep. Ed Rynders predicts state budget surplus
- Gov. Nathan Deal speaks to Darton graduates
- Governor to speak at Darton graduation
Southwest Georgia political news from The Albany Herald newspaper in Albany, Ga. and albanyherald.com
- Three seeking county commission seats in Lee County
- Medical marijuana bill passes Georgia House
- Georgia Supreme Court to hear appeal in Baker County School Board case
- Immigration may be next up for U.S. House
- Southwest Georgia congressional delegation mixed on reactions to State of the Union address (VIDEOS)
- Jeff Sinyard will not seek re-election to Dougherty County Commission chairmanship
- U.S. Rep. Jack Kingston rebuts perk claim
- Col. Allen West to speak at Lincoln Day event in Lee County
- U.S. Rep. Sanford Bishop has successful battle with cancer
- Southwest Georgians named in Georgia Trend as among 100 most influential Georgians
Southwest Georgia government news from The Albany Herald Newspaper in Albany, Ga. and albanyherald.com
- Dog dispute in Lee County heads to Superior Court
- City of Albany’s Fiscal Year 2013 audit report a good-news, bad-news mix
- Medical marijuana bill passes Georgia House
- Dougherty County police, fire studies show limited viable options
- Albany City Commission decides to table pit bulldog ordinance
- Albany City Commission must tackle a number of key issues in 2014
- Jeff Sinyard: Coming changes cannot detract from County Commission's focus
- Dougherty County community tennis center part of mega sports park plan
- Auction of four city of Albany properties brings in $566,000, pending commission approval
- Task force convenes to discuss Albany sign ordinance
- Sometimes a picture says it all ... 3 comments
- Is the city set to kill the multimodal project? 1 comment