Albany Area YMCA president and CEO serves as Veterans Day keynote speaker
Albany Technical College hosted its first ever Veterans Day ceremony Tuesday, at the college’s Kirkland Center.
The new school designations are a conversion from the accountability reporting system of Annual Yearly Progress to the College and Career Readiness Performance Index
Dougherty County School System is making progress adjusting to the new CCRPI reporting system
A Dougherty County middle schools pageant will promote fine arts
Fourteen students are set to compete in the Miss Radium Springs Pageant.
Albanyherald.com articles on football, elections and a high-profile shooting were top views
Voters for the weekly Player of the Week lead top article views, along with a high-profile shooting, an unusual wedding and a celebrity chef book signing.
Two men associated with the Albany Marine base will speak at Veterans Day events Monday
In addition to programs at Albany colleges, American Legionnaires will dedicate a new monument to World War II veterans on Veterans Day.
Rodney Rouse contends he was wrongly terminated at Albany State University
Former Albany State University communications tech Rodney Rouse is appealing his firing to the state Board of Regents and says he is considering legal action.
Students, faculty, staff and the Albany community will celebrate the artistic essence of the written and spoken word at the Albany State University 7th annual Poetry Festival.
Students and teachers achieve recognition and make progress in the Dougherty County School System
This is a compilation of events, achievements and activities over the past few weeks in the Dougherty County School System.
Ten members of the Georgia Legislature met with regional school officials in Albany on improving public education
Cutting down mandates and increasing funds were common themes that Georgia lawmakers heard Thursday at a regional education summit at Darton State College in Albany.
Janet Anderson charges some members of the Baker School Board are not following policy and are misusing funds
Baker County School Board members Brenda King, Chasity Moye and Sharon Heard are the targets of a recall effort.
Now in its second year, Be a Friend First is expanding into more Albany area schools
One-third of girls are most worried about being teased or made fun of, and feel most safe when they are around trusted people, one study has shown.
Dougherty County Schools, Community In Schools of Georgia and Albany Technical College form partnership
New College and Career Performance Learning Center aims to increase graduation rates
The goal of the new College and Career Performance Learning Center aims to increase graduation rates
The following is a list of events happening soon in the Albany area.
Doughety jail inmates see the value of education
Inmates of the Dougherty County jail receive their GEDs in a special ceremony.
Ed Summit’s public forum moved to student center
State Senators will hold public forum on education at Darton State College Student Center
- Gov. Nathan Deal speaks to Darton graduates
- Governor to speak at Darton graduation
- Kara Willis joins crowded GOP field for State School Superintendent
- Watermelon disease a double whammy for Georgia growers
- Georgia Charter School Association officials give Doughtery Rotary Club charter primer
- Tifton soil expert enjoying teaching at UGA-Tifton campus
- Georgia Board of Regents approves Southern Poly-Kennesaw State consolidation
- Bullying: Grim problem with no easy answers
- DCSS hires GSBA to help in find permanent superintendent
- Georgia's SAT scores remain steady
Southwest Georgia political news from The Albany Herald newspaper in Albany, Ga. and albanyherald.com
- U.S. Senate candidate Michelle Nunn visits Albany Technical College
- Albany City Commission Ward II candidates Ivey Hines, Bobby Coleman set for runoff
- Ward II challenger Bobby Coleman says turnout crucial in runoff
- Incumbent Albany City Commissioner Ivey Hines set for runoff
- Bryce Johnson seeks Senate seat being vacated by John Crosby
- Worth Solicitor-General Bryce Johnson to run for Senate District 13
- Sen. John Crosby to retire from Georgia Legislature
- Carter, Nunn largely untested but give Democrats hope
- Sylvester voters return incumbents to office
- Newton voters OK Sunday liquor sales by single vote
Southwest Georgia government news from The Albany Herald Newspaper in Albany, Ga. and albanyherald.com
- ADICA board says no to businessman Bob Brooks on skate park sale
- Lee County Commission backs plan to designate U.S. 19 as Veterans Memorial Highway
- Albany City Commission tables Cutliff Grove discussion
- Albany bar, restaurant owners say alcohol license fee increases too steep
- DCSS Board holds public 'listening session'
- Dougherty School Board gives employees a furlough day back
- Insurance changes proposed for Lee County government workers
- Water, Gas and Light Commission to team with MillerCoors on natural gas project
- New Communities to turn former plantation land into events center
- Dougherty County schools may reduce furlough days by one
- Sometimes a picture says it all ... 3 comments
- Is the city set to kill the multimodal project? 1 comment