The latest twist in an ongoing 14-year saga a tough pill to swallow.
Funding for a new fine arts center at Albany State University once again left out of budget.
The 1954 Supreme Court decision effectively outlawed segregation in the U.S.
ASU’s M.L. King Convocation speaker Cheryl Brown Henderson was a part Brown vs. Board of Education lawsuit, which was a landmark case in the civil rights movement.
Albany Mayor Dorothy Hubbard stresses education as key to region’s future growth
The discussion panel consisted of Albany State University Vice President of Institutional Advancement Clifford Porter, Albany Technical College President Anthony Parker, Darton State College Interim President Paul Jones, Dougherty County School System Superintendent Butch Mosely and Turner Job Corps Director Rose Walker Cook..
Diversity consultant and retired Marine Calvin Foster will be keynote speaker
Diversity consultant Calvin Foster to address Daron State’s College’s annual King Day celebration.
One of key figures in landmark case Brown v. Board of Education to speak
One of the central figures of the landmark Brown vs. Board of Education will be the featured speaker Thursday at the Albany State University (ASU) Martin Luther King, Jr. Convocation. The program begins at 9:50 a.m. in the Student Center Ballroom located in the ASU Student Center.
The School Board tabled the election of a new chairman until Jan. 28
Two new Dougherty County School Board members are sworn in, but the board is still lacking a board chairman.
Team competes in national circuit final round in Charlotte
Eli Lamb, a junior in his sixth semester with the team, advanced to the final round of Original Oratory and placed sixth overall against 43 competitors from 15 states. This was his first-ever appearance as a competitor in a national-circuit final round and Lee County High School’s first since 2012.
If Milton Griffin misses the meeting, a chair decision could be delayed
In its first meeting of the year, the Dougherty County Board of Education may take up the issue of who will serve as chair of the board.
Deerfield-Windsor student wins American History Essay Contest
Having been awarded the Thronateeska Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution’s (DAR) American History Essay contest, Deerfield Windsor School seventh grader Autumn Hart was honored Wednesday with a small ceremony organized by the Thronateeska Heritage Center in downtown Albany.
Session on education planned Tuesday night
The forum will be from 5:30-7:30 p.m. in Room 100 of the Government Center, 222 Pine Ave. The event is free and open to the public.
Henry, who spent 20 years as DWS headmaster, to fill District 2's vacant seat on state BOE
Former Deerfield-Windsor Headmaster W.T. Henry named to state school board
Works of Dr. Vincent Keesee featured
Keesee now spends part of his time in West Point, Va., when he is not painting in his studio in Tifton.
Chancellor said all future options remain on the table
USG chancellor says no immediate plans to consolidate south Georgia Colleges.
Univerity of Georgia Economic Outlook series coming to Albany in February
The University of Georgia (UGA) will host its annual economic forum in Albany as part of the university’s yearly economic outlook series, which is presented in cities throughout the state.
Dougherty County School Superintendent says employees driving system's improvement
Dougherty County School Superintendent Butch Mosely reflects on past two years at the DCSS helm
- Albany State, Tuskegee cheerleaders ejected from SIAC tourney after brawl
- Senate Democrats want say in Gov. Nathan Deal's 'Opportunity Schools' proposal
- Albany Technical College set to roast former Dougherty District Attorney Ken Hodges at fundraiser
- Former Deerfield Headmaster W.T. Henry named to Georgia Board of Education
- Retired ABAC professor opens one-man exhibit
- Albany to host economic forum
- Albany Technical College named TCSG College of the Year runner-up
- University of Georgia set to release findings of month-long educational listening sessions
- Judge Louis Sands named to Mercer Board of Trustees
- Georgia Association of Educators endorses Jason Carter for governor
Southwest Georgia political news from The Albany Herald newspaper in Albany, Ga. and albanyherald.com
- Rep. Darrel Ealum to speak at Albany town hall meeting
- U.S. Sen. David Perdue of Georgia opposes attorney general nominee
- State Rep. Ed Rynders co-sponsors bill to make early voting uniform across Georgia
- Capitol Votes -- Jan. 16-22, 2015
- Founding Fathers got started as Sons of Liberty
- Southwest Georgia congressional delegation reacts to State of the Union speech
- As General Assembly session begins, transportation, education top the list of priorties
- Capitol Votes by Georgia delegation -- week ending Jan. 8, 2015
- Mathis certain he'll qualify for Albany mayoral run; Hubbard nears decision
- After two decades in Washington, U.S. Sen. Saxby Chambliss bids D.C. adieu
Southwest Georgia government news from The Albany Herald Newspaper in Albany, Ga. and albanyherald.com
- Three convicted of bribery, fraud in Albany Marine base trucking contracts | VIDEO
- Robert Cross Park meeting house product of county leaders' vision
- Dougherty County commissioners asked to join in ethics fight
- Changes under way at Grand Island Golf Club in Lee County
- Utility initiatives adding to Albany's bottom line
- Hugh Mills Stadium upgrade to include artificial turf
- Dougherty County commissioners to take closer look at drug fund usage
- Dougherty County Commission to consider greenspace master plan
- Albany and Dougherty County Police/Fire/EMS reports: Feb. 21-23, 2015
- Albany Area Chamber of Commerce delegation to visit Georgia Capitol
- Sometimes a picture says it all ... 3 comments
- Is the city set to kill the multimodal project? 1 comment