Albany-Dougherty leaders share thoughts on state of Albany/Dougherty County community | VIDEO | PHOTO GALLERY
Albany Mayor, Dougherty County Chair, DCSS Superintendent form community update panel
Continued collaboration was the overarching theme as three of the community’s leaders joined a panel to discuss the state of Albany and Dougherty County at the Albany Area Chamber of Commerce’s annual State of the Community luncheon.
Academic year begins Monday morning
Enrollment, retention and progression were on the minds of Albany State University faculty and staff members for the 2015 Faculty and Staff Conference, as another academic year is set to begin Monday.
Schools finally formalize an unofficial partnership that has endured for more than a decade
After spending more than a decade in an unofficial partnership, Albany Technical College and Turner Job Corps made the relationship official Tuesday when ATC President Anthony Parker and TJC Director Rose Walker Cook signed an articulation agreement at ATC’s Logistics Center board room.
The vote was 6-1 with Milton "June Bug" Griffin casting the lone dissenting vote
It took five years, two attempts and dogged persistence from many people, but the Dougherty County School Board on Monday finally approved a charter application for an Albany Regional College and Career Career Academy (ARCCA).
Volunteers renovate courtyard pond and irrigate the nearby school garden
When St. Teresa’s Catholic School students report to their first day of classes on Monday, they’ll find something different about the school’s pond in the center courtyard and the garden located out back.
The school is turning its old library into a student-inspired Design Lab
Funded by a $40,000 grant from the Benedict Foundation, Deerfield-Windsor School has created of a new Broadcast Journalism elective which involves renovating the school’s “old Library” into a new “Design Lab.”
Back 2 School Bash: A Commitment to Learning was hosted by GCAPS at Robert Cross Park on Saturday.
Byne leader comes to Albany after serving 10 years at Hickory Grove School in Charlotte, N.C.
Jim Wagenschutz’s office at Byne Christian School is littered with empty packing boxes. The walls are bare. It’s obvious Byne’s new school administrator (which he prefers as a title instead of headmaster) is still settling in after spending 10 years at Hickory Grove Christian School in Charlotte, N.C.
Collins had been with Albany Area Chamber/CVB for over a decade
After more than a decade as a familiar face with the Albany Area Chamber of Commerce and the Albany Convention and Visitors Bureau, Jenny Collins is leaving the fold to pursue a job at Darton State College.
Instructional Accountability Committee gives nod to two-year draw down.
The Dougherty County Instructional Accountability Committee voted 3-0 Friday to approve a proposal from Associate Superintendent for Academic Services UFOT Inyang to begin gradually phasing out Albany Early College (AEC).
Dougherty County law enforcement agencies participated
Albany’s 8th annual National Night Out helps kids start school with the supplies they need.
First-day attendance about 800 over last year’s total
The Dougherty County School System began its new 2015-16 school year Wednesday with most of the anticipated 15,000 students pouring back into the district’s 23 schools — including an impromptu welcome back pep rally at Northside Elementary School.
The general visited Darton State College last month and will see Albany State University some time this month
Maj. Gen. Craig Crenshaw, Commanding General Marine Corps Logistics Command (LOGCOM), was given a personal tour of Albany Technical College’s campus by President Anthony Parker on Tuesday.
Mobile phone app and webite should reduce number of DCSS students missing the bus
The Dougherty School System is now offering a new mobile phone app and a web link that will allow parents to better track their children’s bus, which should greatly reduce the number of students missing the morning bus.
Back-to-school photos will be included in online gallery
The new school year is about to start. Send in your first day of school photo to be included in a photo gallery at albanyherald.com.
- Chimene Johnson honored as one of Florida's top school principals
- University of Georgia President Jere Morehead says a strong UGA benefits all of the state
- Governor's education reformers take aim at Georgia teacher pay scales
- Dougherty County School System employees rally to kick off 2015-16 school year | PHOTO GALLERY
- Black students seeing largest increase in student loan borrowing
- Pulitzer Prizer winner Alice Walker to visit University of Georgia in fall
- Albany Area Business Portfolio June 21, 2015
- Albany State University Marching Rams seek funding help for trip to California
- Lawsuit filed in deaths of three Georgia Southern student nurses
- Albany State University graduates receive diplomas
Southwest Georgia political news from The Albany Herald newspaper in Albany, Ga. and albanyherald.com
- Early voting in Dougherty County under way
- Georgia delegation congressional votes
- Chad Warbington focused on jobs, growth, accountability
- Tracy Taylor says he's optimistic about challenge for Albany's mayor
- Dorothy Hubbard: Albany at the door of economic recovery
- Albany City Commissioner Roger Marietta plans campaign rally
- Albany candidates take off their kid gloves
- Is legalized pari-mutuel betting on horses in Georgia nearing the starting gate?
- Georgia U.S. senators blast Democrats for blocking Iran nuclear deal vote
- Lane Rosen challenging Dorothy Hubbard for Albany mayor's seat
Southwest Georgia government news from The Albany Herald Newspaper in Albany, Ga. and albanyherald.com
- Dougherty County Commission considers applying for Victim of Crimes grant
- ALBANY AREA BRIEFS: Leesburg Council votes to set tax rate at six mills
- At long last, SGRITA project ready to go live
- Project One transition ongoing at Phoebe Putney Health System
- Vehicle registration renewal notices delayed; renewal deadlines remain
- Albany Utility Board recommends $1.6 million in purchases
- Lane Rosen's confidence grows during mayoral campaign
- Albany City Manager Sharon Subadan: SGRITA has borne fruit
- Chris Cohilas named to educational collaborative board
- Monday final day to register to vote in November Albany city elections
- Sometimes a picture says it all ... 3 comments
- Is the city set to kill the multimodal project? 1 comment