Worth County Clerk Rene Whidby had been serving 60-day probation
The Worth County Board of Commissioners voted 4-1 Tuesday night to terminate the employment of county clerk Rene Whidby amid allegations of misappropriation of funds and insubordination.
Two Albany men and a Sylvester man are convicted in federal court
Two former civilian workers at Marine Corps Logistics Base-Albany and a military contractor Christopher Whitman have been convicted in federal court of a bribery and fraud scheme in which prosecutors say $800,000 in bribeds netted the company of contractor Whitman more than $37 million in less than four years.
Facility will enhance amenities at south Dougherty County park
A newly built facility in Robert Cross Park will give groups of up to 400 a first-rate meeting locale.
Nonprofit Common Cause Georgia wants to reform state ethics legislation
The executive director of Common Cause Georgia tells Dougherty County commissioners statewide ethics reform is needed.
Lee County Recreation Authority will look at proposals for adding a driving range
Lee County Commissioner Luke Singletary says the county’s recreation authority has been working with Grand Island’s staff to make changes to become more efficient and to allow a more precise snapshot of the club’s financial situation.
Programs bring new customers, appliances, security lights online
New programs initiated by the Albany Utility Board focus on gas customers, appliance upgrades and security lighting.
SPLOST-funded stadium improvements will keep facility ‘Olympic-quality’
Dougherty County commissioners will vote next week on funding for an upgrade to Hugh Mills Stadium that includes artificial turf.
Sheriff's request to use drug funds for its CHAMPS program under closer scrutiny
Specific usage of drug funds is called into question by Dougherty County Attorney Spencer Lee.
Advisory committee wants to redirect SPLOST funds to tie together greenspace trails
Dougherty County officials are looking at ways to promote ecotourism through a countywide greenspace master plan.
Public safety roundup for Saturday, Sunday and early Monday in Albany and Dougherty County
The Albany Police Department responded to at least 52 incidents on Saturday, Sunday and the early hours of Monday, available reports show.
Albany Area Chamber of Commerce delegation visit part of legislative affairs agenda
A group of delgates representing the Albany Area Chamber of Commerce will be heading to Atlanta this week for a round of meetings with leaders at the state capitol to help ensure that legislators fully understand the needs of Albany and Dougherty County.
Officials say stagnant wages costing Dougherty County some of its most valuable employees
Dougherty County commissioners vow to find a way to increase county employees’ wages for the first time in more than five years.
City Commission preparing for future without millions in MEAG credits
Albany city officials will discuss current financial matters and futue budget cuts at a two-day late-February reatreat.
Inner-city development pushed to forefront of commission concerns
Albany city officials acknowledge that they must pay a role in development of downtown.
Keep Albany Dougherty Beautiful plants 30 trees in downtown Albany
Despite some chilly weather dedicated group of volunteers did their part to keep Albany and Dougherty County beautiful Saturday morning in honor of Arbor Day.
Southwest Georgia political news from The Albany Herald newspaper in Albany, Ga. and albanyherald.com
- Rep. Darrel Ealum to speak at Albany town hall meeting
- U.S. Sen. David Perdue of Georgia opposes attorney general nominee
- State Rep. Ed Rynders co-sponsors bill to make early voting uniform across Georgia
- Capitol Votes -- Jan. 16-22, 2015
- Founding Fathers got started as Sons of Liberty
- Southwest Georgia congressional delegation reacts to State of the Union speech
- As General Assembly session begins, transportation, education top the list of priorties
- Capitol Votes by Georgia delegation -- week ending Jan. 8, 2015
- Mathis certain he'll qualify for Albany mayoral run; Hubbard nears decision
- After two decades in Washington, U.S. Sen. Saxby Chambliss bids D.C. adieu
Albany and Southwest Georgia Education News
- Dougherty School System deploys computer tablets at Albany Middle School
- Opportunity school districts bill passes Senate, heads to House
- Albany State University announces four senior staff changes
- Read Across Georgia Month makes its annual appearance
- Deerfield-Windsor's Steven Feng is named Dougherty County's Star Student for 2015
- Dougherty County School System announces Teacher of the Year candidates
- Dougherty County School Board approves 2 percent raise for staff
- Albany City Commission OKs child care facility ordinance
- Flint River inspires Steven Landis' concerto 'Thronateeska'
- Albany's combined high school choruses strike a high note at Shiloh Missionary Baptist Church | VIDEO
- Sometimes a picture says it all ... 3 comments
- Is the city set to kill the multimodal project? 1 comment
- Oh the irony...legislators ban cameras from hearing on 'Open Government' 4 comments
- Commissioner officially gets 'schooled' 1 comment
- City commission meeting moved
- EPA releases interactive polluter map
- Ya'll Come on Back Now, Ya' hear?
- County pondering Gillionville speed limit change
- Commissioners bid adieu to the mayor in their own unique fashion 3 comments
- Prohibition by abstention?