Couple who provide safe haven for dogs are told to remove kennel from neighborhood
Wes and Kim Terrell file suit against Lee County commissioners over directive sent by the county attorney ordering them to close their kennel for rescue dogs. The facility has drawn opposition from many of the Terrells’ neighbors over the past several months.
CPA firm says audit report for Albany has no findings or compliance violations
Financial transactions in FY 2013 decreased the city of Albany’s fund balance by more than $7.77 million.
With a vote of 171-4, a proposal to allow for the use of medical marijuana in Georgia passes the state House of Representatives.
Costs, services among concerns listed in study of Dougherty County public safety options
Recent studies show that Dougherty County is taking the most efficient approach to fire and law enforcement services.
In a close vote, the board decides to not take action on breed-specific restrictions
Five commissioners vote to delay action on a pit bull ordinance.
OUTLOOK 2014: Pay raises, insurance costs, city utility among priority issues for city leaders
Albany leaders go into 2014 with a number of vital issues prominent on their to-do list.
OUTLOOK 2014: Budget concerns, countywide efficiencies among vital issues facing Dougherty County government
With an election promising a significant shakeup of the county government, Dougherty leaders can’t look too far ahead.
A SPLOST-funded tennis center has been in planning stage for 20 years
A long-delayed special tax-funded community tennis center may actually be back on the drawing board after two decades.
Former L’Jua’s restaurant attracts, $205,000, but Tift Park parcel is removed from online auction of city-owned property
An online auction conducted on behalf of the city of Albany Wednesday brings in $566,000 for four properties. City commissioners are expected to vote Tuesday on whether to accept the bids.
Citizens group to work with city officials on issues with existing sign ordinance
A citizens/government Sign Task Force held an initial meeting Thursday to begin discussing updates to Albany’s sign ordinance, which has been in effect about six years.
Residents of Brittany Plantation want rescue dog kennel closed
A County Lee woman who operates a kennel as a rescue center for dogs contends her operation is allowed under county regulations.
Leesburg also buys telemetry equipment to monitor its utility system
The report was favorable overall, but auditors say internal controls are needed in the finance department, a problem not that unusual for small city governments with limited staff. The situation should be improved, the auditor said, with the addition of City Manager Bob Alexander.
ADICA serves as intermediary for inner-city development
A $3.44 million bond has been used by Albany officials to spark development in the city’s downtown district.
Jury rejects police officer’s claim of racial bias
A federal jury rules in the city of Albany’s and APD Chief John Proctor’s favor in a racial discrimination lawsuit.
Southwest Georgia congressional delegation mixed on reactions to State of the Union address (VIDEOS)
Republicans are critical of President Obama for what they see as job-killing policies
U.S. Rep. Sanford Bishop has a positive reaction to the president’s speech, while U.S. Rep. Austin Scott is critical, as are Georgia’s two U.S. senators.
Southwest Georgia political news from The Albany Herald newspaper in Albany, Ga. and albanyherald.com
- Three seeking county commission seats in Lee County
- Medical marijuana bill passes Georgia House
- Georgia Supreme Court to hear appeal in Baker County School Board case
- Immigration may be next up for U.S. House
- Southwest Georgia congressional delegation mixed on reactions to State of the Union address (VIDEOS)
- Jeff Sinyard will not seek re-election to Dougherty County Commission chairmanship
- U.S. Rep. Jack Kingston rebuts perk claim
- Col. Allen West to speak at Lincoln Day event in Lee County
- U.S. Rep. Sanford Bishop has successful battle with cancer
- Southwest Georgians named in Georgia Trend as among 100 most influential Georgians
Albany and Southwest Georgia Education News
- Leroy Bynum Leaving Albany State University for position in New York
- T. Marshall Jones to be roasted for Albany Tech Foundation fundraiser
- ASU sorority promotes the making of good choices by youths
- Dougherty County School System Education Notebook
- Dougherty County School System Notebook
- Girl Talk's Project Inside Out coming to Albany
- Rotary and Lee County Schools help Liberian students
- Dougherty County’s STAR Student, Teacher are named
- Changes on the horizon at Darton
- Butch Mosely recognizes three of the Dougherty County School System's best teachers
- Sometimes a picture says it all ... 3 comments
- Is the city set to kill the multimodal project? 1 comment
- Oh the irony...legislators ban cameras from hearing on 'Open Government' 4 comments
- Commissioner officially gets 'schooled' 1 comment
- City commission meeting moved
- EPA releases interactive polluter map
- Ya'll Come on Back Now, Ya' hear?
- County pondering Gillionville speed limit change
- Commissioners bid adieu to the mayor in their own unique fashion 3 comments
- Prohibition by abstention?