Albany leaders expected to take up vehicle, parking issues at future meeting
Albany commissioners are gavelled down by the city’s mayor after their discussion of take-home cars gets heated.
Dougherty County officials call for joint meeting with Albany City Commission
Local activists join neighborhood group in calling for County Commission action against proposed natural gas pipeline.
County board takes action to lessen impact of 'anomaly' of 'extreme' claims in 2013-14
The Dougherty County Commission takes measures to lesson the impact of “extreme” insurance claims during the most recent fiscal year.
Oakland Partners wants to constrict a 240-unit apartment complex
Jim Bacon said a development company based in Columbus wants to build an apartment complex on 30 acres owned by Oakland Partners near the intersection of Forester Parkway and Old Leesburg Highway. He said the project would represent an investment of about $20 million and could bring about $5 milion in revenue to Lee County over the next decade.
A survey in the Rawson Circle and Rawson Park neighborhoods could lead to expansion of the existing Albany historic district
Albany-Dougherty Historic Preservation Commission and the city of Albany will survey Rawson Circle and Rawson Park neighborhoods through Sept. 21.
Large claims over past year force Dougherty County to consider insurance plan changes
Due to an inordinate number of large claims Dougherty County employees may soon be seeing a change to their health insurance plan.
Dougherty County Commissioners award alcohol license to Albany Express Convenience Store
After denying three previous applications the Dougherty County Board of Commissioners ultimately granted an alcohol license in the name of a new manager to the Albany Express Convenience Store on Newton Road.
Hubbard says 'paying forward' kindness shown to her as a young woman
Albany Mayor Dorothy Hubbard learned her work ethic from her hard-working father.
FTC rejects proposed agreement with Phoebe Putney Health System, Hospital Authority of Albany-Dougherty County
Federal Trade Commission officials say the matter is headed back to administrative court
The proposed agreement would have allowed the Hospital Authority to retain possession of the former Palmyra Medical Center and for Phoebe Putney to operate the facility.
Bobby Coleman, Clinton Johnson work together on underpass, Boys and Girls Club issues
Elected Albany and Dougherty County officials are working together on issues impacting their shared constituents.
House Leader Larry O'Neal conducts listening tour in southwest Georgia
Georgia House representative Gerald Greene takes Majority Leader Larry O’Neal on a listening tour of southwest Georgia.
Long-time city of Albany employee is adjusting well to transfer to Water, Gas & Light
Stephen Collier was easing into retirement when the opportunity to head Albany’s utilities authority was offered.
Albany Water, Gas & Light Commission sees revenues up, expenses down
Albany utilities officials say changes under the city’s new management team are providing positive returns.
The $5.5 million project draws rave reviews from library patrons, Dougherty County officials
After a 20-month renovation, downtown Albany’s Central Libraryh reopens Thursday with a ribbon-cutting ceremony.
Albany Mayor Dorothy Hubbard urges those attending the event to get excited about possibilities
Albany and Dougherty County government and Dougherty County public school leaders present their assessment of Albany’s future at the Albany Area Chamber of Commerce’s first State of the Community luncheon.
Southwest Georgia political news from The Albany Herald newspaper in Albany, Ga. and albanyherald.com
- Capitol Votes for week of Sept. 8, 2014
- Michelle Nunn: No U.S. ground troops in Iraq
- Albany Mayor Dorothy Hubbard weighs her political future
- Georgia House majority leader visits Albany and Southwest Georgia | VIDEO
- U.S. Senate candidates meet at Georgia Chamber forum
- Dougherty Commission candidate's online posts criticizing Israel sparks reaction | POLL
- Michelle Nunn, Sam Nunn visit Albany as part of campaign tour | VIDEO
- Early votes to decide Dougherty County election races
- Darrel Ealum upsets Rep. Carol Fullerton in Georgia House 153 runoff
- Liberian President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf, a Nobel Peace Prize laureate, visits Albany | VIDEO
Albany and Southwest Georgia Education News
- Georgia Department of Education recognized seven area schools as Highest-Progress Schools
- Georgia Board of Regents proposes $19.8 million for new facility at Albany State University
- David Mosely, Werhner Washington added to Albany Tech board
- Former HR Director Tracy Williams files suit against the Dougherty County School System
- Dougherty School System Finance Committee approves $16 million in federal budget requests
- State approves Dougherty School System’s FY 15 Race to the Top funding ‘without conditions’
- Dougherty County School System Notebook - Sept. 14, 2014
- Magazine ranks Albany State University No. 15 among U.S. public HBCUs
- Deerfield-Windsor Senior Katie Jack named National Merit semifinalist
- Dougherty County School Board OKs contract to dismantle Mamie Brosnan Elementary School
- Sometimes a picture says it all ... 3 comments
- Is the city set to kill the multimodal project? 1 comment
- Oh the irony...legislators ban cameras from hearing on 'Open Government' 4 comments
- Commissioner officially gets 'schooled' 1 comment
- City commission meeting moved
- EPA releases interactive polluter map
- Ya'll Come on Back Now, Ya' hear?
- County pondering Gillionville speed limit change
- Commissioners bid adieu to the mayor in their own unique fashion 3 comments
- Prohibition by abstention?