Albany Water, Gas & Light Commission sees revenues up, expenses down
Albany utilities officials say changes under the city’s new management team are providing positive returns.
The $5.5 million project draws rave reviews from library patrons, Dougherty County officials
After a 20-month renovation, downtown Albany’s Central Libraryh reopens Thursday with a ribbon-cutting ceremony.
Albany Mayor Dorothy Hubbard urges those attending the event to get excited about possibilities
Albany and Dougherty County government and Dougherty County public school leaders present their assessment of Albany’s future at the Albany Area Chamber of Commerce’s first State of the Community luncheon.
Ward VI Commissioner Tommie Postell recently claimed morale is down in the Albany Police Department
A citizen activist challenges comments made by an Albany City Commissioner at a commission meeting.
The Lee County Commission chairman expects a resolution soon
The conflict began when County Manager Ron Rabun received an invoice of $18,340 for digital video recording equipment for the county jail. The expenditure was not included in this year’s budget. Rabun suggested the bill be paid from the sheriff’s drug forfeiture account, a move that was opposed by Rachals.
The federal export credit agency help Thrush sell 20 ag aircraft to China last year
Rep. Sanford Bishop, Thrush Aircraft’s Payne Hughes pushing Ex-Im Bank charter reauthorization
Dougherty official wants policy compatible with action taken by administration
The Dougherty County Cosmmission is asked to consider a policy change that will impact employee discipline.
An agent for the store owner sold beer to an underage person in 2013
A Lee County store owner’s applicantion for an alcohol sales license under an employee’s name is rejected by the Dougherty County Commission because of the employee sold alcohol to an underage person last year.
Leesburg awarded state CDBG funds for water system
The burden of making improvements to the city’s water system became a great lighter as Leesburg will receive close to half a million dollars from a state grant.
Many new options unaffordable, group contends
Most State Health Benefit Plan members will see a significant increase in premiums if they choose to move from the current Health Reimbursement Arrangement to one of the new HMOs, especially the one run by UnitedHealthcare, said Ashley Cline of the group Teachers Rally to Advocate for Georgia Insurance Choices.
Money being raised to build medical student housing complex
The physician-to-patient ratio in Georgia is already unfavorable, and with physicians either retiring or relocating, there is potential for the situation to get even more dire. This could create a perfect storm, which officials have said needs to be addressed.
Meeting to discuss property crime in Albany
Jon Howard’s town hall meeting will discuss property crime in east Albany
Some residents want David Morris reinstated, but their pleas fall on deaf ears
Crowd urges Warwick council to reinstate fired police chief
Lovers Lane No. 1 on the proposed Lee County resurfacing list
While Lovers Lane Road is No. 1 on the resurfacing list, Forrester Parkway Extension in western Lee County is No. 1 on the paving or new construction list.
Built in 1938, the building will be taken apart, and bricks and stonework sold
Committee OKs moving Mamie Brosnan deconstruction to full school board.
Southwest Georgia political news from The Albany Herald newspaper in Albany, Ga. and albanyherald.com
- U.S. Senate candidates meet at Georgia Chamber forum
- Dougherty Commission candidate's online posts criticizing Israel sparks reaction | POLL
- Michelle Nunn, Sam Nunn visit Albany as part of campaign tour | VIDEO
- Early votes to decide Dougherty County election races
- Darrel Ealum upsets Rep. Carol Fullerton in Georgia House 153 runoff
- Liberian President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf, a Nobel Peace Prize laureate, visits Albany | VIDEO
- Recently elected Harry James prepared to move into Dougherty commission seat
- 'Third candidate' Muarlean Edwards endorses Darrel Ealum in House District 153 runoff
- Dennis Roland, Robert Usry winners in Lee County election
- U.S. Senate candidates make last pitches to area voters
Albany and Southwest Georgia Education News
- Downtown Central Library branch reopens | VIDEO | PHOTO GALLERY
- Albany-Dougherty County officials optimistic about State of the Community | VIDEO
- Albany Civil Rights Institute Executive Director Frank Wilson proposes a partnership with regional educational institutions
- ASU students learn from guest speakers
- Second Educational Collaborative session set for Tuesday at Monroe High School
- Albany Briefs - Aug. 24, 2014
- Ruling allows exemptions for bake sales
- Key activist group sees flaws in Georgia's state health plan
- Albany Technical College benefiting from grant
- MCLB-Albany contractor adding 250 jobs by Oct. 1
- Sometimes a picture says it all ... 3 comments
- Is the city set to kill the multimodal project? 1 comment
- Oh the irony...legislators ban cameras from hearing on 'Open Government' 4 comments
- Commissioner officially gets 'schooled' 1 comment
- City commission meeting moved
- EPA releases interactive polluter map
- Ya'll Come on Back Now, Ya' hear?
- County pondering Gillionville speed limit change
- Commissioners bid adieu to the mayor in their own unique fashion 3 comments
- Prohibition by abstention?