Aviation Commission ready for Phase III of renovation project
Southwest Georgia Regional Airport is one of 90 nationwide to qualify for online training awards.
Albany City Commission will ultimately rule on task force recommendations
An Albany Sign Task Force reaches concensus on recommendations for the city’s sign ordinance.
QUOTES: Words worth repeating
They Said It…is a compilation of quotes by notable folks
Lee County Planning Commission recommends denial, as do area residents
A proposed concrete plant looking to locate in Lee County has encountered opposition from residents and the county Planning Commission.
Freshman Albany city commissioner’s comments generate animated business discussion
Albany City Commissioner B.J. Fletcher says property owners should be held accountable for not maintaining their properties.
Dougherty Commission mulls ISO fire rating improvement project
Many Dougherty County property owners may soon see reduced fire insurance premiums thanks to a new plan proposed to improve the county’s insurance ratings.
Two Albany icons -- one a former restaurant, the other a world-famous restaurateur -- top this weeks list.
These are the 10 most-viewed articles on albanyherald.com for the week of March 21-28, 2014.
State Rep. Ed Rynders, County Commission Chairman Rick Muggridge, Commissioner Greg Frich and Chamber CEO Winston Oxford speak to the group
State Rep. Ed Rynders challenges the Leadership Lee grads to become engaged in local government, to appreciate the quality of life that Lee County offers and to have “civilized debate” about issues.
Residents of northern Lee County, dealing with high insurance costs, want improved services
Commissioner Dennis Roland and his constituents from northern Lee County residents show frustration over the lack of progress in providing fire protection services to the less population dense area of the county.
City code offers specific directions for numeric property identifiers
Albany officials warn that complying with city adressing codes is beneficial to businesses and residents.
The $12.27 million facility will replace a 46-year-old Regional YDC in Albany
Funding for the project is included in the state of Georgia’s Fiscal Year 2015 spending plan, which goes into effect July 1.
The Georgia senior senator will leave Congress in January after 20 years at Capitol Hill
Sen. Saxby Chambliss says he’s looking forward to spending more time with family and exploring post-Senate options, but first he has some work to finish in Congress.
QUOTES: Words worth repeating
They Said It … is a compilation of quotes by notable folks.
Unless there is a conflict with state law, the election is expected to be conducted May 20
If the special election for Dougherty County Commission District 5 is conducted May 20, the qualifying period would be held next week.
The event features amnesty day at the landfill, plus old prescription medicine and flags can be turned in for disposal
This year’s edition of the Great American Cleanup in Lee County is 8 a.m.-noon Saturday. Anyone wishing to participate should contact the Lee County Chamber of Commerce at (229) 759-2422.
Southwest Georgia political news from The Albany Herald newspaper in Albany, Ga. and albanyherald.com
- David Brokamp says servant's heart led him to Lee County School Board race
- Gov. Nathan Deal signs SB 349 into law at the Southwest Georgia Regional Airport (Video)
- Sen. Saxby Chambliss looking to next stage of life (Video)
- Three seeking county commission seats in Lee County
- Medical marijuana bill passes Georgia House
- Georgia Supreme Court to hear appeal in Baker County School Board case
- Immigration may be next up for U.S. House
- Southwest Georgia congressional delegation mixed on reactions to State of the Union address (VIDEOS)
- Jeff Sinyard will not seek re-election to Dougherty County Commission chairmanship
- U.S. Rep. Jack Kingston rebuts perk claim
Albany and Southwest Georgia Education News
- Dougherty County School Board approves $1.4 million for new textbooks
- Deerfield-Windsor students to present 'Shrek the Musical'
- Darton State College Nursing Program gains additional accreditation
- U.S. Supreme Court divided on rationale for rejecting challenge to Michigan law against racial preferences at universities
- Albany Technical College plants a live oak in celebration of Arbor Day
- Doughtery Schools show CCRPI improvement
- Albany State University Briefs - April 19, 2014
- Dougherty County School System Notebook
- Metro Albany Briefs - April 16, 2014
- Elimination of Dougherty County school staff furlough days still on agenda
- Sometimes a picture says it all ... 3 comments
- Is the city set to kill the multimodal project? 1 comment
- Oh the irony...legislators ban cameras from hearing on 'Open Government' 4 comments
- Commissioner officially gets 'schooled' 1 comment
- City commission meeting moved
- EPA releases interactive polluter map
- Ya'll Come on Back Now, Ya' hear?
- County pondering Gillionville speed limit change
- Commissioners bid adieu to the mayor in their own unique fashion 3 comments
- Prohibition by abstention?