Albany mayor is in line to be GMA president in 2018
Albany Mayor Dorothy Hubbard is named third vice president of the Georgia Municipal Association at its annual meeting.
Applicant Morgan III Properties can extend deadline if it waives 70-day deadline
The Dougherty County Commission plans to rule on a rezoning request within its required 70-day period.
Loss of exemption increases government fuel costs by 18 1/2 cents a gallon
While drivers in Georgia are expecting a 6 to 7 cent uptick in fuel costs through the Transportation Funding Act of 2015, local governments are looking at an 18 1/2-cents-a-gallon increase.
Dougherty County Commission votes to approve $79,516,612 spending plan
Despite a lengthy discussion about funding the Albany-Dougherty EDC, the Dougherty County Commission unanimously approves its FY 2016 budget.
Dougherty officials plan to raise the county's millage rate by .700-mill to account for an increase in the county’s real property value.
Dougherty County’s net gross digest came in at $2,021,213,396. Commission Chairman Chris Cohilas noted a $27 million increase in assessed property value over 2014.
Stephenson had been a trial attorney and partner with Watson and Spence
Change does not come easily to John Stephenson, but his a life took a decidedly different direction Monday as he was sworn in as Dougherty County’s newest magistrate judge by Superior Court Judge Willie Lockette.
New Albany executive official had little free time during her first week
Sharon Subadan got her first taste of government, Albany style, Tuesday when she took part in her first City Commission meeting.
THE LEMONADE STAND: People making unexpected midlife career changes
After long careers with city government and the federal courts respectively, John Antoniewicz and Darlene Pino are four months into a new business — Ant Hill Photography.
Utility authority unveils some of its plans to generate additional income
With one more month left in FY 2015, most of the Albany Utility Board’s seven enterprise funds are operating more efficiently than expected.
Big Blue Bus Tour offers community leaders glimpse of club activities
Albany leaders get an up-close look at Boys & Girls Clubs of Albany facilities on the club’s “Big Blue Bus Tour.”
New city manager asks city commissioners to approve a slight decrease in the city's millage rate
Despite some expressed concerns, the Albany City Commission gives unanimous consent to a Fiscal Year 2016 spending plan.
House and Sente votes cast by the Georgia congressional delegation
These are key votes that were cast by Georgia’s congressional delegation from June 12 until June 18.
Families USA data indicates 18,000 in Second Congressional District of Georgia could be impacted by decision
In all, there are 412,000 Georgians at risk of losing subsidies depending on how the U.S. Supreme Court rules on King v. Burwell.
State representative says 'understanding relationship between Atlanta, Albany' critical
In February, freshman State Rep. Darrel Ealum wrapped up his rookie season under the Gold Dome in Atlanta and headed home to Albany. What he took away from that first session was invaluable.
Morgan Properties eyes best use of land adjacent to plantations
Dr. Tripp Morgan’s plan to build a microbrewery on land in southwest Dougherty County has drawn the concern of nearby plantation owners.
Southwest Georgia political news from The Albany Herald newspaper in Albany, Ga. and albanyherald.com
- Georgia delegation congressional votes - June 19-25, 2015
- Georgia elected officials dig in on positions following Obamacare ruling
- Georgia delegation congressional votes - June 12-18, 2015
- State Rep. Darrel Ealum reflects on first legislative session, sets goals for 2016
- Dinorah Hall enlists powerful allies in fight against pipeline
- U.S. foreign policy and cyber security among top concerns for Sen. David Perdue
- Georgia congressional delegation votes June 5-11, 2015
- Pacific trade pact fast-track authority hits crawl in House
- Albany Mayor Dorothy Hubbard kicks off re-election campaign | VIDEO
- U.S. Sen. Johnny Isakson discloses Parkinson's; will run for re-election
Albany and Southwest Georgia Education News
- Albany, Monroe high school recognized for increased graduation rates
- ABAC traveling from Boston to Buckingham Palace
- Dougherty County School System making moves toward charter system
- Albany State University is having economic, research impacts on Southwest Georgia
- Sumter County UGA Extension agent offers families helping hand
- First Albany X-BOTS event draws attention to STEM education | PHOTOS | VIDEO
- Public health encouraging early start on back-to-school vaccinations
- Young Scholars get ag experience at UGA Tifton campus
- Dougherty County School Board to get new career academy plan next month
- Dougherty County School System looking to tighten student attendance policy
- Sometimes a picture says it all ... 3 comments
- Is the city set to kill the multimodal project? 1 comment
- Oh the irony...legislators ban cameras from hearing on 'Open Government' 4 comments
- Commissioner officially gets 'schooled' 1 comment
- City commission meeting moved
- EPA releases interactive polluter map
- Ya'll Come on Back Now, Ya' hear?
- County pondering Gillionville speed limit change
- Commissioners bid adieu to the mayor in their own unique fashion 3 comments
- Prohibition by abstention?