Economic Development Commission given clean audit for FY 2014
The Albany-Dougherty Economic Development Commission closes out 2014 with the promise of a bright 2015.
Measure would allow city officials to offer early retirement incentives, reduce staff
The Albany City Commission approves a measure that will pave the way for planned staff cuts.
Long-time public servants end careers that span more than 58 years
Friends and colleagues recognize long-time Dougherty County officials Jeff Sinyard and Jack Stone as they end their political careers.
County government, volunteers want to re-establish GCAPS program in local school system
Dougherty County commissioners OK a student awareness program and select volunteer board members during their final meeting of the year.
Outgoing Dougherty Commission chairman has served community for 30 years
Jeff Sinyard has been at the center of major issues that have impacted the community over the past 30 years.
Local businessman has become Southwest Georgia's most passionate ambassador
Dougherty County Commission Chairman Jeff Sinyard will preside over his final commission meeting Monday.
Budget cuts forcing closure of youth center at Albany Marine base
Youth and teen services will still be available to families attached to the base, but in different locations after the building shuts its doors, officials at MCLB-Albany said.
Economic Development fund has $17.2 million set aside to stimulate job growth in community
An Albany City Commission committee votes to approve a $3.5 million loan to its utility authority for building improvements. The decisions must be approved by the Albany City Commission before they can go into effect.
Lee County Commissioner Ed Duffy attends his last regular meeting as a board member
Commissioners unanimously approved a request from County Manager Ron Rabun and Planning Director Matt Inman to accept a bid from Reeves Construction Co. for resurfacing more than six miles of roadway, including almost four miles on Lovers Lane, for $806,977. The project includes 1.05 miles of resurfacing on the Lee County portion of North Doublegate Road and 1.33 miles on James Pond Road.
Amendment would allow Albany to expand utilities services outside city, county limits
Albany city officials take a close look at a proposed charter change that would impact the city’s utilities services.
Albany city officials looking ahead to $6 million shortfall that starts in 2018
Albany leaders look to prepare for life without Municipal Electric Authority of Georgia credits that end in 2018.
County official notes public response on vote to purchase 13 $5,000 computers
The Dougherty County administrator offers details about computer purchases approved by the County Commission.
Jail officials say new locking system is priority project at facility
The Dougherty County Commission is asked to reallocate SPLOST funding for a priority project at the county’s jail.
Moore, Inman, Hancock, Merritt graduate
The 2014 graduates from Lee County include Casey Moore, Leesburg city clerk; Matt Inman, Lee County Planning Department director; William Hancock of Webb properties and Jay Merritt of Meritt Insurance, Investments and Consulting.
Albany Marine base expected to utilize steam energy created at $230 million plant
One of the final steps in the development of a biomass energy plant on the Procter & Gamble-Albany campus is approved by the local Payroll Development Authority.
Southwest Georgia political news from The Albany Herald newspaper in Albany, Ga. and albanyherald.com
- Jeff Sinyard, Jack Stone honored during farewell gathering
- Dougherty County legislative delegation gets leaders' 'wish lists'
- Capitol Votes: Nov. 14-20, 2014
- Capitol Votes week ending Nov. 13, 2014 (UPDATED WITH FRIDAY KEYSTONE VOTES)
- Albany Area Chamber holds annual Legislative Affairs Rise N Shine Breakfast
- 'Chefs on the Lawn' event focuses on healthy foods
- Republicans win big in Georgia congressional, state officer elections
- Education funding, criminal justice reform focuses of Gov. Nathan Deal in second term
- Gerald Greene earns 17th term in the Georgia House
- David Perdue's anti-Obama strategy pays off with win
Albany and Southwest Georgia Education News
- Troy Universitys Albany site conducts mid-year commencement
- Former Dougherty County teacher pleads guilty to child pornography
- Albany woman drives car into school
- Lee County Speech and Debate inducts inaugural class into Hall of Fame
- Dougherty Schools see marked increase in CCRPI scores
- Troy University's Albany site to hold graduation Thursday
- Dougherty County Commission OKs $5,000 reboot of student awareness program
- Carol Tharin, Darrel Ealum depart Dougherty School Board with high hopes for system
- Lee County Speech and Debate ends Fall Semester competition at Grovetown
- Albany State University awards more than 390 degrees during Fall Commencement
- Sometimes a picture says it all ... 3 comments
- Is the city set to kill the multimodal project? 1 comment
- Oh the irony...legislators ban cameras from hearing on 'Open Government' 4 comments
- Commissioner officially gets 'schooled' 1 comment
- City commission meeting moved
- EPA releases interactive polluter map
- Ya'll Come on Back Now, Ya' hear?
- County pondering Gillionville speed limit change
- Commissioners bid adieu to the mayor in their own unique fashion 3 comments
- Prohibition by abstention?