State Rep. Ed Rynders reports that Lee County will receive Georgia DOT funding for two projects
The Lee County Commission also also adopted a new medical insurance plan that will begin Feb. 1 and require county employees to assume a higher share of the cost of insurance.
Commissioner Ivey Hines asks for more information on apartment complex rate modification
Discussion turns heated during the Albany City Commission’s work session Tuesday morning.
Liquor-by-drink license fees in Albany are set for a 64 percent jump
Albany bar and restaurant owners say the city is being unreasonable in its efforts to increase alcohol license fees.
The Doughtery School Board heard what the public wants in a new superintendent
The Dougherty County School Board on Monday held a listening session to get community feedback as the board moves forward in its search for a permanent replacement for Interim Superintendent Butch Mosely.
The District has cut furlough days from six to four over the past six months
The Dougherty County School Board on Monday cut another employee furlough day
Workers covered by the county insurance would pay more if they use tobacco products
A new four-tier option plan will be offered to workers employed by Lee County.
Pipeline to plant could bring $1.1 million annually to utility
Albany’s Water, Gas and Light Commission votes to become part of the Municipal Gas Authority of Georgia collective.
Weddings are expected to be among events conducted on former Cypress Pond Plantation land
More than 98 percent of the 1,638 acres of land on a Southwest Albany plantation will remain in agricultural use.
The Dougherty School System currently has five employee furlough days
Healthy reserve fund balance has Dougherty School Board talking about removing another employee furlough day, reducing total number for fiscal year to four.
Approval of the naming is still needed from the Lee County Commission and Smithville City Council
The document approved Tuesday night recognizes “all military veterans of Lee County.” The wording states that designating the highway Veterans Memorial Highway “will provide recognition of such sacrifice and serve as a reminder to all that freedom is not free.”
Twenty-six voters cast early ballots in Albany City Commission runoff
Incumbent Ivey Hines and challenger Bobby Coleman will find out their political fate today in an Albany City Commission runoff election.
Low-income households that need help with heating costs can apply
Low-income households that want to apply for heating assistance must first contact the Dougherty County Neighborhood Service Center by phone to set up an appointment.
Albany residents will see stormwater fee added to utility bills starting in April
The Albany City Commission gives ultimate approval to creation of a federally mandated stormwater utility and enterprise fund, which will come from user fees.
Challenger in Ward II Albany City Commission race trailed by 21 votes
Challenger Bobby Coleman will face incumbent Ivey Hines in an Albany City Commission runoff Dec. 3.
Federal officials mandated the closure of Southwestern State Hospital in Thomasville
Area mental health officials say patients detained by law enforcement will not be housed in Albany.
Southwest Georgia political news from The Albany Herald newspaper in Albany, Ga. and albanyherald.com
- U.S. Senate candidate Michelle Nunn visits Albany Technical College
- Albany City Commission Ward II candidates Ivey Hines, Bobby Coleman set for runoff
- Ward II challenger Bobby Coleman says turnout crucial in runoff
- Incumbent Albany City Commissioner Ivey Hines set for runoff
- Bryce Johnson seeks Senate seat being vacated by John Crosby
- Worth Solicitor-General Bryce Johnson to run for Senate District 13
- Sen. John Crosby to retire from Georgia Legislature
- Carter, Nunn largely untested but give Democrats hope
- Sylvester voters return incumbents to office
- Newton voters OK Sunday liquor sales by single vote
Albany and Southwest Georgia Education News
- Gov. Nathan Deal speaks to Darton graduates
- Dougherty's new learning center ready to open next month.
- Southwest Georgia Education Notebook -- Dec. 11, 2013
- Sherwood Academy Notebook
- DCSS Board holds public 'listening session'
- Dougherty School Board gives employees a furlough day back
- Darton interim president fully committed to growth
- Danny Ellis stepping down as Calhoun County Schools superintendent
- Governor to speak at Darton graduation
- Tommy Coleman named to GCSBA Board of Directors
- Sometimes a picture says it all ... 3 comments
- Is the city set to kill the multimodal project? 1 comment
- Oh the irony...legislators ban cameras from hearing on 'Open Government' 4 comments
- Commissioner officially gets 'schooled' 1 comment
- City commission meeting moved
- EPA releases interactive polluter map
- Ya'll Come on Back Now, Ya' hear?
- County pondering Gillionville speed limit change
- Commissioners bid adieu to the mayor in their own unique fashion 3 comments
- Prohibition by abstention?