Pastor, Albany Police Department employees acknowledged at Albany City Commission meeting
Sgt. Kawaski Barnes, named the Albany Police Office of the Year, was recognized by city officials for his efforts in organizing events and dedication to his duties as a police officer, a nomination letter on him reads.
Numerous government offices, schools and organization close today
Driving conditions were already deteriorating in northern amd central parts of the state Tuesday, and were expected to worsen after nightfall. Transportation officials urge motorists to stay off the roads until mid-morning today at the earliest.
Operators of the oval track say residents may be hearing noise generated by the nearby drag strip
Noise restrictions on the Albany Motor Speedway that were imposed by Dougherty County officials in 2008 have been followed, speedway officials say.
Dougherty County Commission chair will give up office at end of the year
Dougherty County Commission Chair Jeff Sinyard says he will not seek re-election this year.
Ongoing Albany transportation project well into its second decade
The Albany City Commission pushes efforts to move forward with a long-delayed multimodal transportation project.
Citizen volunteers selected to serve on advisory boards, commissions
Albany city commissioners fulfilled their first official duty of the new year by selecting citizens to serve on advisory boards.
Proposed station would give Southwest Georgia trauma care coverage
Department of Public Safety officials say the state is willing to put up more than $12 million to bring a Life Flight operation to Southwest Georgia.
An ordinance based on the Georgia definition of a pit bull has been proposed in Albany
The Albany City Commission is expected to discuss the proposed pit bull restrictions at its first meeting of the year on Monday.
New commissioners say they're ready to tackle Albany's pressing issues
Two new Albany city commissioners, elected in the 2013 municipal elections, will take office Monday.
Rick Muggridge will serve a second year-long term as chairman of the board
Dennis Roland was elected by his fellow commissioners to serve another year-long term as vice chairman of the Lee County Commission.
City attorney: ADICA cannot commit city funds to aquarium
A downtown Albany attraction is seeking a management agreement with an Albany city development authority.
School system needs to apply for hardship waiver for Georgia's direct classroom expenditures rule
The state requires that school systems spend 65 percent of their operating expenditures on direct classroom instruction.
Staff recommends approval of requests brought before Planning Commission
The Albany-Dougherty Planning Commission approves a pair of development requests with little fanfare.
EDC No. 2 official Justin Strickland named interim director
Economic and Development Commission president Ted Clem is reportedly accepting another position.
Oxford has two years to complete the road, which will start just north of Leesburg schools on State Route 195, connect to Old Smithville Road and then continue westward over the railroad tracks and U.S. Highway 19 before looping back to U.S. 19.
Southwest Georgia political news from The Albany Herald newspaper in Albany, Ga. and albanyherald.com
- Three seeking county commission seats in Lee County
- Medical marijuana bill passes Georgia House
- Georgia Supreme Court to hear appeal in Baker County School Board case
- Immigration may be next up for U.S. House
- Southwest Georgia congressional delegation mixed on reactions to State of the Union address (VIDEOS)
- Jeff Sinyard will not seek re-election to Dougherty County Commission chairmanship
- U.S. Rep. Jack Kingston rebuts perk claim
- Col. Allen West to speak at Lincoln Day event in Lee County
- U.S. Rep. Sanford Bishop has successful battle with cancer
- Southwest Georgians named in Georgia Trend as among 100 most influential Georgians
Albany and Southwest Georgia Education News
- T. Marshall Jones to be roasted for Albany Tech Foundation fundraiser
- ASU sorority promotes the making of good choices by youths
- Dougherty County School System Education Notebook
- Dougherty County School System Notebook
- Girl Talk's Project Inside Out coming to Albany
- Rotary and Lee County Schools help Liberian students
- Dougherty County’s STAR Student, Teacher are named
- Changes on the horizon at Darton
- Butch Mosely recognizes three of the Dougherty County School System's best teachers
- Aaron Johnson announces run for Dougherty County School Board seat
- Sometimes a picture says it all ... 3 comments
- Is the city set to kill the multimodal project? 1 comment
- Oh the irony...legislators ban cameras from hearing on 'Open Government' 4 comments
- Commissioner officially gets 'schooled' 1 comment
- City commission meeting moved
- EPA releases interactive polluter map
- Ya'll Come on Back Now, Ya' hear?
- County pondering Gillionville speed limit change
- Commissioners bid adieu to the mayor in their own unique fashion 3 comments
- Prohibition by abstention?