The seat is being vacated by Sen. John Crosby when his term ends next year
Georgia Senate District 13 includes Worth and Lee counties.
Cutliff Grove Family Resource Center wants financial help with Nativity complex
Albany officials discuss options for a low-, moderate-income housing complex during a City Commission work session.
Marine Corps Logistics Base-Albany receives the Environmental Protection Agency Energy Combined Heat and Power Award
The Marine Corps Logistics Base-Albany was awarded the United States Environmental Protection Agency Energy Star Combined Heat and Power Award this week.
Dougherty government signs off on school bonds
The Dougherty County Commission gives formal approval to several business matters, including employee bonuses.
Job opening now posted on Georgia School Boards Association website
The Dougherty County School System has begun searching for a new superintendent as job opening is now posted on the Georgia School Boards Association website
Numerous other costs will rise after a year of extremely high claims
No decisions have been made, but Rabun said it is likely there will be an increase in the monthly deduction for health coverage. Now, a Lee County employee pays $49 a pay period for coverage that includes just the employee, assuming he participates in an optional wellness program. The cost is $86 otherwise.
Impact of state hospital closures to be discussed at upcoming forum
Frank Berry, commissioner of the Georgia Department of Behavorial Health and Developmental Disabilities, will be the main speaker at a forum on Tuesday discussing behavorial health issues.
Two Water, Gas and Light Commission employees are recognized for rendering aid to a citizen
Officials tour Water, Gas and Light treatment, maintenance, warehouse/purchasing facilities, getting a close look at daily operations.
Members of a Georgia black mayors organization want increased protection for Dawson Mayor Christopher Wright
Dawson Mayor Christopher Wright continues to recover from multiple gunshot wounds he suffered at his home on Oct. 31.
An Albany Marine base was one of two federal facilities to recently receive an ENERGY STAR award
Combined Heat and Power, also known as cogeneration, simultaneously produces electricity and useful steam or hot water from a single heat source, using fuels such as natural gas or renewable landfill gas — helping federal facilities achieve goals to reduce carbon pollution and energy use.
The following is a list of events happening soon in the Albany area.
$2.50 monthly storm water utility rate set by Albany is state’s second-lowest
The city of Albany will wait until March to start collecting storm water fees.
Mayor Christopher Wright was shot multiple times Oct. 31 at his Dawson home
NAACP officials in Terrell County have established a medical fund for wounded Dawson mayor Christopher Wright, who is in serious condition.
The U.S. Marine Corps, founded in 1775, is celebrating its birthday on Sunday
The Marine Corps birthday has been observed since a 1921 order by then-Commandant Gen. John LeJuene as a reminder of the accomplishments of the Corps from its service since 1775.
Sylvester Mayor Bill Yearta easily wins re-electyion
Ward 4 Councilman Larry Johnson defeats two opponents for new Sylvester City Council term.
Southwest Georgia political news from The Albany Herald newspaper in Albany, Ga. and albanyherald.com
- U.S. Senate candidate Michelle Nunn visits Albany Technical College
- Albany City Commission Ward II candidates Ivey Hines, Bobby Coleman set for runoff
- Ward II challenger Bobby Coleman says turnout crucial in runoff
- Incumbent Albany City Commissioner Ivey Hines set for runoff
- Bryce Johnson seeks Senate seat being vacated by John Crosby
- Worth Solicitor-General Bryce Johnson to run for Senate District 13
- Sen. John Crosby to retire from Georgia Legislature
- Carter, Nunn largely untested but give Democrats hope
- Sylvester voters return incumbents to office
- Newton voters OK Sunday liquor sales by single vote
Albany and Southwest Georgia Education News
- Dougherty County schools may reduce furlough days by one
- Robert Cross wins Middle School Academic Bowl (VIDEO)
- Lee County School System Notebook - Dec. 4, 2013
- Albany Technical College recognizes nearly 100 students during Honors Day.
- Dougherty County School System Notebook - Dec. 2, 2013
- Jingle Bell Jam fundraiser benefits Darton, community
- Dougherty County School System Notebook - Dec. 1, 2013
- Outgoing Albany State University interim president praises school and students
- Watermelon disease a double whammy for Georgia growers
- Home School Key Club sponsored by Kiwanis Club of Dougherty County
- Sometimes a picture says it all ... 3 comments
- Is the city set to kill the multimodal project? 1 comment
- Oh the irony...legislators ban cameras from hearing on 'Open Government' 4 comments
- Commissioner officially gets 'schooled' 1 comment
- City commission meeting moved
- EPA releases interactive polluter map
- Ya'll Come on Back Now, Ya' hear?
- County pondering Gillionville speed limit change
- Commissioners bid adieu to the mayor in their own unique fashion 3 comments
- Prohibition by abstention?