Development 'tool' paves way for new taxes to be used in district
A downtown Albany Tax Allocation District approved by county voters in 2008 may finally pay deividends in development of the inner city.
Here is how the Georgia delegation to Congress voted last week
This is a report on how Georgia’s delegation to the U.S. House and Senate voted in the previous week.
City, county have collected slightly less than a half-billion dollars in special 1 percent sales taxes
“Infrastructure” is the key word as Albany and Dougherty County officials prepare for a new SPLOST referendum.
Commission Chair Rick Muggridge said many area counties have saved money by privatizing EMS
Lee County Commission Chair Rick Muggridge said that while he doesn’t think Lee County can zero out its EMS expenses like some other counties have, he thinks they can be greatly reduced through privatization. Other commissioners say they’d first like to see whether the county’s EMS service can be made more efficient.
LRA Constructors President Ben Barrow said he has a hard time understanding the decision
The Dougherty County School Board on Monday voted 7-0 to award JCI Contractors of Moultrie the $35 million contract for construction management at risk services on the Phase II renovation and construction project at Monroe High School.
District Attorney Greg Edwards asks county officials to sign off on $118,000 grant request
Dougherty County commissioners are expected to vote next week to approve continuation of an annual Victim of Crimes Act grant.
Foreclosure activity in metro Albany declines
Second Harvest is seeking volunteers to held that day to be a part of the fight against hunger in South Georgia; anti-bullying event scheduled in Albany.
Rural broadband service project set to start up Thursday
With a huge assist from the city of Albany, the South Georgia Regional Information Technology Authority rural high-speed Internet project is ready to go live.
Electronic health records system went live within Phoebe Putney hospitals on Oct. 1
Officials said that at the beginning of the Meditech system going live, there were 1,000 calls a day coming into the around-the-clock command center at Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital.
State vendor gums up vehicle registration renewal works, officials say
Vehicle registration renewal notices in the state are being delayed due to a vendor’s inability to fulfill its contractual obligation. Vehicles’ registration still must be renewed by regular deadline.
Albany City Commission to consider previously delayed purchases of equipment, materials
The Albany Utility Board voted to recommend that the Albany City Commission approve $1.6 million in purchases.
Challenger says he understands issues that impact all sectors of Albany
Businessman/mayoral candidate Lane Rosen says people throughout the city are responding to his campaign message.
Albany officials say rural telecommunications collective is set to launch
Albany City Manager Sharon Subadan notes forward movement on the rural SGRITA collective and on development of the downtown Albany Heights building.
Dougherty Commission selects chairman to be part of education initiative
Meeting a request by Dougherty County School System Superintendent Butch Mosely, the Dougherty County Commission selects its chairman, Chris Cohilas, to serve on a city/county education initiative board.
Commissioners Jon Howard, Tommie Postell returning to board unchallenged
Voter registration and address changes for the Nov. 3 Albany municipal elections ends Monday afternoon. Positions of mayor and Ward IV commisioners will be decided.
Southwest Georgia political news from The Albany Herald newspaper in Albany, Ga. and albanyherald.com
- Big wins in key precincts help earn Albany Mayor Dorothy Hubbard a new term | VIDEO
- Smithville mayor's race hinges on two provisional ballots
- Albany Mayor Hubbard, Commissioner Marietta re-elected | PHOTOS | VIDEO
- Albany municpal election moves to 'main event'
- Campaigns grow heated in final week before Albany municipal election
- Albany city manager granted authority to OK utilities projects up to $100,000
- Forum brings mayoral candidates together for first time
- Albany, Dougherty officials tout SPLOST benefits with referendum on horizon
- Early voting in Dougherty County under way
- Georgia delegation congressional votes
Albany and Southwest Georgia Education News
- Albany Tech, Savannah State sign articulation agreement
- Key Clubs supporting education center on youth home campus
- DWS lower school participates in Patriot's Day | PHOTOS
- Dougherty County officials laud election participation by volunteer students
- First Georgia Milestones results are a mixed bag for the Dougherty County School System
- Georgia Educators Association takes aim Opportunity School Districts referendum
- Art Dunning, Hank Huckaby discuss Albany State University-Darton State College merger
- Albany Technical College cuts ribbon on new Energized Radiological lab
- Albany honors veterans by opening the new Broad Avenue Bridge | PHOTO GALLERY | VIDEO
- Native American Experience coming to Tifton ag museum and village
- Sometimes a picture says it all ... 3 comments
- Is the city set to kill the multimodal project? 1 comment
- Oh the irony...legislators ban cameras from hearing on 'Open Government' 4 comments
- Commissioner officially gets 'schooled' 1 comment
- City commission meeting moved
- EPA releases interactive polluter map
- Ya'll Come on Back Now, Ya' hear?
- County pondering Gillionville speed limit change
- Commissioners bid adieu to the mayor in their own unique fashion 3 comments
- Prohibition by abstention?