Sylvester Mayor Bill Yearta easily wins re-electyion
Ward 4 Councilman Larry Johnson defeats two opponents for new Sylvester City Council term.
Pats Bicycle Shop is depicted on Easter Seals 2013 Albany Christmas ornament
Easter Seals Southern Georgia revealed its 2013 Albany Christmas ornament, which depicts a bicycle shop that operated in downtown Albany for 35 years.
Newton voters re-elect Mayor Gary Coker to new term
Newton voters approve Sunday alcohol sales 66-65.
Fletcher’s Ward III coalition carries her to a lopsided victory
A Dec. 3 muncipal runoff election will include Albany City Commissioner Ivey Hines and challenger Bobby Coleman to determine the Ward II winner.
State Sens. Freddie Powell Sims, Lindsey Tippins, John Crosby and Dean Burke will hold an educational summit on Thursday, to discuss the educational challenges facing southwest Georgia.
The four senators will meet with Southwest Georgia school superintendents from 3 to 4 p.m. before gathering with regional school board members from 4:15 to 5:30 p.m. The summit will close with a public forum which is scheduled to begin at 6 p.m.
Dougherty County's new tax director has 26 years of experience with the county's tax office
Dougherty County Administrator Richard Crowdis has named Shonna Colley to replace Denver Hooten as the county’s tax director.
Six candidates are competing for two Albany City Commission seats
Some 11,801 voters in Wards II and III are eligible to go to the polls to determine who will represent their interests on the Albany City Commission.
Albany, Dougherty County have separate agreements on 26 shared services
A list of 26 shared services that make up a city/county service delivery strategy that prevents duplication may be the next big debate between Albany and Dougherty County officials.
Two Albany City Commission seats will be decided by voters Tuesday
Election night is a numbers game for six candidates hoping to win a seat on the Albany City Commission.
Albany-Dougherty Aviation board deems canopy, parking spaces unnecessary
The Albany-Dougherty Aviation Commission trims more than $200,000 from the proposed cost of a Southwest Georgia Regional Airport project.
Herald writer Jennifer Parks conducts a one-on-one interview with Dr. Jaqueline Grant from the Southwest Public Health District
Dr. Jacqueline Grant serves as the top public health official in Southwest Georgia over an area covering 6,000 square miles and 14 counties.
Dawson Mayor Christopher Wright was in surgery Friday
Dawson police responded Thursday night to a shooting call and found Dawson Mayor Christopher Wright seriously injured with multiple gunshot wounds.
River School for Children STEM Academy board has withdrawn its state charter application in hopes of getting local school board approval.
River School for Children STEM Academy board has withdrawn its state charter application in hopes of getting local school board approval. The school system had denied their charter petition in September
Albany lawyers say paying large amounts for real estate deeds is unnecessary
Albany attorneys and real estate agents want consumers to know paying an outside company large amounts of money to obtain certified copies of property deeds is unnecessary.
Early voting totals low for Nov. 5 municipal election
Almost 12,000 voters are eligible to cast ballots in Tuesday’s municipal election, which will determine the Ward II and Ward III Albany City Commission seats.
Southwest Georgia political news from The Albany Herald newspaper in Albany, Ga. and albanyherald.com
- U.S. Senate candidate Michelle Nunn visits Albany Technical College
- Albany City Commission Ward II candidates Ivey Hines, Bobby Coleman set for runoff
- Ward II challenger Bobby Coleman says turnout crucial in runoff
- Incumbent Albany City Commissioner Ivey Hines set for runoff
- Bryce Johnson seeks Senate seat being vacated by John Crosby
- Worth Solicitor-General Bryce Johnson to run for Senate District 13
- Sen. John Crosby to retire from Georgia Legislature
- Carter, Nunn largely untested but give Democrats hope
- Sylvester voters return incumbents to office
- Newton voters OK Sunday liquor sales by single vote
Albany and Southwest Georgia Education News
- Darton interim president fully committed to growth
- Danny Ellis stepping down as Calhoun County Schools superintendent
- Governor to speak at Darton graduation
- Tommy Coleman named to GCSBA Board of Directors
- Darton seeks funds for Steinway pianos
- Dougherty Kiwanis club hears about Troy University
- Interim Dougherty School Superintendent Butch Mosely under consideration for permanent appointment
- Albany Tech conducts fall graduation exercise
- Dougherty County schools may reduce furlough days by one
- Robert Cross wins Middle School Academic Bowl (VIDEO)
- Sometimes a picture says it all ... 3 comments
- Is the city set to kill the multimodal project? 1 comment
- Oh the irony...legislators ban cameras from hearing on 'Open Government' 4 comments
- Commissioner officially gets 'schooled' 1 comment
- City commission meeting moved
- EPA releases interactive polluter map
- Ya'll Come on Back Now, Ya' hear?
- County pondering Gillionville speed limit change
- Commissioners bid adieu to the mayor in their own unique fashion 3 comments
- Prohibition by abstention?