Albany, Dougherty County, Albany Area Chamber select EDC reps
Albany-Dougherty Economic Development Commission representatives and officers are named for FY 2016.
Commisison also revises alcoholic beverage hearing process
“Food trucks have become quite popular all over the country,” said Commissioner Billy Mathis. “I’d like the staff to research the matter, find a good ordinance and bring our ordinances up to date.”
Up to $5 million in Job-Enhancement Funds may be used for development of inner city
Albany city commissioners OK a plan to use Job-Enhancement Funds to spur downtown redevelopment.
Economic figures in Dougherty County significant: $225 million, 345 jobs
Albany-Dougherty Economic Development Commission figures offer significant answer to “What have you done for me lately?”
Dougherty Commissioner questions negative comments about local businesses
A Dougherty County commissioner calls out one of his colleagues about comments criticizing a local Walmart outlet.
Retailer draws criticism over manager's refusal to support Dougherty student program
A Dougherty County commissioner says he expects Wal-Mart officials to address the commission at its Monday work meeting.
Albany city manager says the city's interests must be protected
Albany’s city manager says she is willing to work with the South Georgia Regional Information Technology Authority under a plan that protects Albany taxpayers.
A divided Albany City Commission discusses hot-button issues, some heatedly, during an eventful work meeting.
Police chief says expression should be peaceful and in compliance with laws
Albany City Commissioner Tommie Postell says a demonstration that focused on support for the Confederate battle flag could have caused a race riot in Albany.
Job-creation funding will be used to stimulate development of Albany’s inner-city
The Albany City Commission tentatively signs off on a plan to use money from a job-creation fund to stimulate downtown development.
Albany officials plan to pull out of agreement with rural collective
Albany City Manager Sharon Subudan recommends, and the City Commission agrees, that the city not continue its relationship with the South Georgia Regional Information Technology Authority.
Newspaper article angers aviation commissioner, who challenges fellow board members
A member of the Albany-Dougherty Aviation Commission labels comments by fellow board members in an Albany Herald article regarding management of the airport “reprehensible,” leading to a heated exchange at Monday’s meeting.
Mayor looking into raises for city employees
Albany Mayor Dorothy Hubbard spoke to Dougherty County Kiwanis Club Monday, reminding the gathered members that everyone in the community must work together to ensure a prosperous future for all citizens of the city.
Joint meeting focuses on administrative, legislative zoning decisions
The Dougherty County and Albany-Dougherty Planning commissions hold a joint meeting to discuss issues of common importance.
Three-quarter-mill increase will be used to fund county employee pay raises
The Dougherty County Commission conducts a third state-required public hearing to discuss a proposed millage rate increase and then votes to approve the increase.
Southwest Georgia political news from The Albany Herald newspaper in Albany, Ga. and albanyherald.com
- Mayoral candidate Taylor to hold barbecue fundraiser
- Dougherty County Elections Board names Lonzie White chairman
- Bobby McKinney to step down from county Elections Board
- Qualifying dates set for Albany election
- Donald Trump at center of first Republican presidential debate | POLLS
- Georgia Sens. Isakson, Perdue blast Clean Power Plan
- Senate legislation to cut federal funds for Planned Parenthood hits roadblock
- Sen. David Perdue talks about global security and ISIS during swing through Albany
- Georgia congressional reaction to Iran nuclear deal
- Georgia delegation congressional votes - June 19-25, 2015
Albany and Southwest Georgia Education News
- Albany Technical College nursing program ranked No. 52 nationally
- Family Literacy Center's goal is to educate the entire family
- Marching Albany State Rams take Albany Mall shoppers by surprise | PHOTOS
- Governor's education reformers take aim at Georgia teacher pay scales
- Leadership Albany welcomes new class | PHOTO GALLERY
- State, Albany State University investigating Financial Aid Office
- Dougherty County School Board approves phase-out of Albany Early College
- Dougherty school system police official arrested on credit card charges
- College and Career Academy grant application process gets under way
- Dougherty County School System has modest enrollment spike after two weeks of school
- Sometimes a picture says it all ... 3 comments
- Is the city set to kill the multimodal project? 1 comment
- Oh the irony...legislators ban cameras from hearing on 'Open Government' 4 comments
- Commissioner officially gets 'schooled' 1 comment
- City commission meeting moved
- EPA releases interactive polluter map
- Ya'll Come on Back Now, Ya' hear?
- County pondering Gillionville speed limit change
- Commissioners bid adieu to the mayor in their own unique fashion 3 comments
- Prohibition by abstention?