Case involving FTC, Phoebe Putney Health System and Hospital Authority may be going back to settlement
An order, issued Jan. 28, withdrew the matter from adjudication because there is the possibility of a settlement. The order stays proceedings until 11:59 p.m. on Feb. 27 pending a determination by the FTC with respect to the consent proposal.
State, federal funding used for rural transportation program
The Dougherty County Commission gives the Southwest Georgia Regional Commission authorization to seek transportation funding.
Venue costs city $1.2 million a year to operate, brings in $227,000 in revenue
Despite calls by some to tear down the Albany Civic Center, city officials are working hard to bring more events to the venue.
Proposed new fuel tax legislation has city, county governments looking for options
Georgia House proposes changes to fuel taxes that has local governments scrambling for answers
Albany City Commission suggests Gregors, who voluntarily manages the RiverQuairum, may have conflict of interest
The Albany City Commission, breaking tradition, fails to reappoint a member in good standing to a citizen board. Commissioners questioned whether Tommy Gregors, who asked to be reappionted, had a conflict of interest because he serves in a volunteer managerial capacity at the Flint RiverQuairum, which has ties to the Albany-Dougherty Inner City Authority on which Gregors served the past two years.
Water, Gas & Light Comission to be renamed Albany Utility Board
Albany city commissioners approve a charter change that will allow its Utility Board to extend services beyond Albany and Dougherty County lines.
The Lee County-owned golf course is seen by some as an asset and by others as a taxpayer drain
While Grand Island’s future is cloudy, what is clear is that it owes the Lee County Commission $272,972 for payroll and health insurance costs that it is unable to meet.
Mathis leads effort to revert to more traditional approach
After initially agreeing to participate in a self-insurance captive recommended by its broker, J. Smith Lanier & Co., the Commission backed out of that plan primarily due to concerns by new Commissionr Billy Mathis.
Here is how Georgia’s congressional delegation voted during the period of Jan. 16-22.
The cable TV network History opens a three-night, six-hour miniseries on the SOns of Liberty who launched the American Revolution.
Albany neighborhoods currently pay costs of speed humps used to slow traffic
Albany city officials will consider taking on the costs of traffic calming devices if they have citywide impact.
Albany City Commission approves roundabout design for proposed project
Plans for a traffic project that is expected to lessen congestion near the Albany Mall are unveiled before the Albany City Commission.
The assistant city manager had been considering retirement incentives
After saying last week he was strongly considering retirement, Albany Assistant City Manager Phil Roberson changes his mind.
Millions of dollars in utility returns will stop pouring in in December 2018
Albany city officials are looking for ways to prepare for an end to millions of dollars in yearly utility credits.
Long-time city of Albany employees together have more than 80 years of service
Phil Roberson and James Carswell, two of the city of Albany’s top employees, will leave large shoes to fill in retirement.
Southwest Georgia political news from The Albany Herald newspaper in Albany, Ga. and albanyherald.com
- Rep. Darrel Ealum to speak at Albany town hall meeting
- U.S. Sen. David Perdue of Georgia opposes attorney general nominee
- State Rep. Ed Rynders co-sponsors bill to make early voting uniform across Georgia
- Capitol Votes -- Jan. 16-22, 2015
- Founding Fathers got started as Sons of Liberty
- Southwest Georgia congressional delegation reacts to State of the Union speech
- As General Assembly session begins, transportation, education top the list of priorties
- Capitol Votes by Georgia delegation -- week ending Jan. 8, 2015
- Mathis certain he'll qualify for Albany mayoral run; Hubbard nears decision
- After two decades in Washington, U.S. Sen. Saxby Chambliss bids D.C. adieu
Albany and Southwest Georgia Education News
- Deerfield-Windsor's Steven Feng is named Dougherty County's Star Student for 2015
- Dougherty County School System announces Teacher of the Year candidates
- Dougherty County School Board approves 2 percent raise for staff
- Albany City Commission OKs child care facility ordinance
- Flint River inspires Steven Landis' concerto 'Thronateeska'
- Albany's combined high school choruses strike a high note at Shiloh Missionary Baptist Church | VIDEO
- Albany-Southwest Georgia Education Notebook - Feb. 23, 2015
- Combined choruses of six Albany high schools to perform in black history concert
- Renovations, new construction and technology top Dougherty, Lee school systems plans for 2015
- Sherwood Christian Academy, Deerfield-Windsor School are in the midst of major construction projects
- Sometimes a picture says it all ... 3 comments
- Is the city set to kill the multimodal project? 1 comment
- Oh the irony...legislators ban cameras from hearing on 'Open Government' 4 comments
- Commissioner officially gets 'schooled' 1 comment
- City commission meeting moved
- EPA releases interactive polluter map
- Ya'll Come on Back Now, Ya' hear?
- County pondering Gillionville speed limit change
- Commissioners bid adieu to the mayor in their own unique fashion 3 comments
- Prohibition by abstention?