How $18,000 in video equipment at the Lee County Jail will be paid for is up in the air
Tentative plans have been made for Lee County Board of Commissioners Chairman Rick Muggridge, along with county attorney Jimmy Skipper, to meet with Sheriff Reggie Rachals to discuss unpaid invoices related to the county jail’s new camera system.
Albany-Dougherty Inner City Authority loses board member over skate park lease decision
Less than a week after walking out in frustration from a board meeting of the Albany-Dougherty Inner City Authority, board member David Prisant has resigned from that board.
Letter to Warwick City Council lists civil rights violations, conduct in court, speed traps as major areas of concern
Municipal Judge William Gregory addresses concerns about conduct of Warwick Police Department in a letter sent to the members of the City Council.
Reports on sensitive issues can be made anonymously
The 311 call center is manned by live operators from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. five days a week. After regular business hours and on weekends, access is available via voice-mail messaging and by computer or cell phone (with Android or Iphone mobile apps) via the center’s website (www.311.answers.com).
City personnel changes part of Tom Berry's reorganization plan
Efficiency is the buzz word around the city of Albany as officials look to reorganize.
Lee County refuses to pay
LEESBURG — With the ink still drying on the new Lee County budget, an unexpected bill for a camera system at the Lee County Jail has the Lee County Board of Commissions and Sheriff Reggie Rachals squaring off over payment.
WGL officials are focused on providing telcom services for commercial customers
Albany utilities officials say plans to provide residential telecommunications services are a year away.
Quasi-governmental authority overshoots budget by $412,000
The city of Albany’s CFO tells the Albany-Dougherty Inner City Authority it has over-allocated project funding.
Lee commission approves spending for engineering services on Marlow Lane project
Transportation issues dominated Tuesday’s Lee County Board of Commissioners work session as commissioners dealt with two important road projects and had discussion about the area’s long range transportation plans.
Patrick Garner accuses Israel of 'ethnic cleansing' in an online discussion
An incumbent Dougherty County Commissioner speaks out on comments made by his opponent in an online discussion.
Developer assures board north Albany hotel will not draw traffic off congested Old Dawson Road
The Albany-Dougherty Planning Commission approves a rezoning request that will allow construction of a Marriott Suites hotel in northwest Albany.
Leesburg keeps its ad valorem tax rate at 6 mills
While Lee County residents are still adjusting to the recent increase to the county millage rate, Leesburg property owners can expect the city’s assessment to stay flat.
Mars Chocolate North America is celebrating its 50th anniversary in Albany
The Albany City Commission gives tentative approval to a commemorative street renaming in honor of Mars Chocolate.
Staff tells commissioners local projects are advertised in a number of ways
A Dougherty County commissioner says he’s concerned about local businesses’ access to bid information on county projects.
Risk reduction vital to government body
City officials say risk management helps curtail lawsuits that stem from safety issues.
Southwest Georgia political news from The Albany Herald newspaper in Albany, Ga. and albanyherald.com
- Capitol Votes for week of Sept. 8, 2014
- Michelle Nunn: No U.S. ground troops in Iraq
- Albany Mayor Dorothy Hubbard weighs her political future
- Georgia House majority leader visits Albany and Southwest Georgia | VIDEO
- U.S. Senate candidates meet at Georgia Chamber forum
- Dougherty Commission candidate's online posts criticizing Israel sparks reaction | POLL
- Michelle Nunn, Sam Nunn visit Albany as part of campaign tour | VIDEO
- Early votes to decide Dougherty County election races
- Darrel Ealum upsets Rep. Carol Fullerton in Georgia House 153 runoff
- Liberian President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf, a Nobel Peace Prize laureate, visits Albany | VIDEO
Albany and Southwest Georgia Education News
- Cole Bros. Circus opens in Albany Monday
- Albany Briefs - Sept. 21, 2014
- Georgia Department of Education recognized seven area schools as Highest-Progress Schools
- Georgia Board of Regents proposes $19.8 million for new facility at Albany State University
- David Mosely, Werhner Washington added to Albany Tech board
- Former HR Director Tracy Williams files suit against the Dougherty County School System
- Dougherty School System Finance Committee approves $16 million in federal budget requests
- State approves Dougherty School System’s FY 15 Race to the Top funding ‘without conditions’
- Dougherty County School System Notebook - Sept. 14, 2014
- Magazine ranks Albany State University No. 15 among U.S. public HBCUs
- Sometimes a picture says it all ... 3 comments
- Is the city set to kill the multimodal project? 1 comment
- Oh the irony...legislators ban cameras from hearing on 'Open Government' 4 comments
- Commissioner officially gets 'schooled' 1 comment
- City commission meeting moved
- EPA releases interactive polluter map
- Ya'll Come on Back Now, Ya' hear?
- County pondering Gillionville speed limit change
- Commissioners bid adieu to the mayor in their own unique fashion 3 comments
- Prohibition by abstention?