Albany Mayor Dorothy Hubbard urges those attending the event to get excited about possibilities
Albany and Dougherty County government and Dougherty County public school leaders present their assessment of Albany’s future at the Albany Area Chamber of Commerce’s first State of the Community luncheon.
Ward VI Commissioner Tommie Postell recently claimed morale is down in the Albany Police Department
A citizen activist challenges comments made by an Albany City Commissioner at a commission meeting.
The Lee County Commission chairman expects a resolution soon
The conflict began when County Manager Ron Rabun received an invoice of $18,340 for digital video recording equipment for the county jail. The expenditure was not included in this year’s budget. Rabun suggested the bill be paid from the sheriff’s drug forfeiture account, a move that was opposed by Rachals.
The federal export credit agency help Thrush sell 20 ag aircraft to China last year
Rep. Sanford Bishop, Thrush Aircraft’s Payne Hughes pushing Ex-Im Bank charter reauthorization
Dougherty official wants policy compatible with action taken by administration
The Dougherty County Cosmmission is asked to consider a policy change that will impact employee discipline.
An agent for the store owner sold beer to an underage person in 2013
A Lee County store owner’s applicantion for an alcohol sales license under an employee’s name is rejected by the Dougherty County Commission because of the employee sold alcohol to an underage person last year.
Leesburg awarded state CDBG funds for water system
The burden of making improvements to the city’s water system became a great lighter as Leesburg will receive close to half a million dollars from a state grant.
Many new options unaffordable, group contends
Most State Health Benefit Plan members will see a significant increase in premiums if they choose to move from the current Health Reimbursement Arrangement to one of the new HMOs, especially the one run by UnitedHealthcare, said Ashley Cline of the group Teachers Rally to Advocate for Georgia Insurance Choices.
Money being raised to build medical student housing complex
The physician-to-patient ratio in Georgia is already unfavorable, and with physicians either retiring or relocating, there is potential for the situation to get even more dire. This could create a perfect storm, which officials have said needs to be addressed.
Meeting to discuss property crime in Albany
Jon Howard’s town hall meeting will discuss property crime in east Albany
Some residents want David Morris reinstated, but their pleas fall on deaf ears
Crowd urges Warwick council to reinstate fired police chief
Lovers Lane No. 1 on the proposed Lee County resurfacing list
While Lovers Lane Road is No. 1 on the resurfacing list, Forrester Parkway Extension in western Lee County is No. 1 on the paving or new construction list.
Built in 1938, the building will be taken apart, and bricks and stonework sold
Committee OKs moving Mamie Brosnan deconstruction to full school board.
Airport project low bid comes in 130 percent above estimates
Albany city commissioners want more information before voting on funding for an airport vending area project.
Low bid for project comes in at more than double the cost estimate
The Albany-Dougherty Aviation Commission votes to approve a vending area bid of $92,000, well beyond the project’s $40,000 cost estimate.
Southwest Georgia political news from The Albany Herald newspaper in Albany, Ga. and albanyherald.com
- Dougherty County official calls for Sunday voting
- Albany Area News Briefs - Sept. 24, 2014
- Capitol Votes by Georgia delegation -- week of Sept. 15, 2014
- Capitol Votes for week of Sept. 8, 2014
- Michelle Nunn: No U.S. ground troops in Iraq
- Albany Mayor Dorothy Hubbard weighs her political future
- Georgia House majority leader visits Albany and Southwest Georgia | VIDEO
- U.S. Senate candidates meet at Georgia Chamber forum
- Dougherty Commission candidate's online posts criticizing Israel sparks reaction | POLL
- Michelle Nunn, Sam Nunn visit Albany as part of campaign tour | VIDEO
Albany and Southwest Georgia Education News
- University of Georgia researchers put skins back into peanut butter
- Georgia Southwestern University group hopes to help Muckalee crayfish fend off invasive species
- Dougherty School Board tacks on additional $8 million to Monroe High improvements
- Albany Technical College President Anthony Parker: College tackling enrollment challenge
- Albany Area Education Notebook - Sept. 24, 2014
- Albany State University Marching Band invited to 2016 Tournament of Roses Parade
- Georgia board finds no cause to discipline Westover Principal William Chunn for grade changes
- Cole Bros. Circus opens in Albany Monday
- Albany Briefs - Sept. 21, 2014
- Georgia Department of Education recognized seven area schools as Highest-Progress Schools
- Sometimes a picture says it all ... 3 comments
- Is the city set to kill the multimodal project? 1 comment
- Oh the irony...legislators ban cameras from hearing on 'Open Government' 4 comments
- Commissioner officially gets 'schooled' 1 comment
- City commission meeting moved
- EPA releases interactive polluter map
- Ya'll Come on Back Now, Ya' hear?
- County pondering Gillionville speed limit change
- Commissioners bid adieu to the mayor in their own unique fashion 3 comments
- Prohibition by abstention?