The Dougherty County sheriff is filing suit to collect unpaid process service fees from the state
A judge rules in favor of Dougherty County in its attempt to collect process fees from the Georgia Department of Human Services, which turned down a settlement offer from the county.
North Albany Medical Center receives response from DCH
The attorney representing North Albany Medical Center said that North Albany has expressed interest in the property but would wait until the Federal Trade Commission makes its decision to decide what to do.
S and S Roofing and Construction to relocate closer to Lee County High School
Thanks to the approval of a rezoning request by the Leesburg City Council Tuesday night S & S Roofing and Construction will soon be moving to a new location.
Albany officials made Water, Gas & Light a city department earlier this year
Albany city commissioners give non-binding approval to a charter change that would make the city manager also be the city’s utility general manager.
Dougherty County Commission begins review of Fiscal Year 2015 budget
After a brief swearing-in ceremony, Harry James takes his seat as Dougherty County’s District 5 commissioner.
Judge sides with Lee County Board of Commissioners in zoning case
Despite opposition from local residents Judge W. James Sizemore denied a request Thursday to temporarily stop the rezoning of a tract of land in Lee County clearing the way for the sale of that property to a local businessman Brian Bridges for use as a concrete plant.
Work on the connector likely will not start before early 2015
The decision on the route for the connector highway is a move that county officials say they believe will generate significant economic development, reduce response time for emergency services to many residents and generally make it easier for motorists to reach many existing Lee County businesses.
Business owners have issues with assessment of citywide fees
Albany officials say they’re addressing issues that have surfaced with the implementation of new stormwater utility fees.
An engineer’s report says cracks at Southwest Georgia Regional Airport are cosmetic, not structural problems
The Albany-Dougherty Aviation Commission will ask its terminal contractor to make minor drywall repairs to the three most noticeable cracks.
Private school plans to consolidate upper, lower campuses at single location
The Dougherty County Commission gave Sherwood Christian Academy final permission to move forward with its improvement plans Monday.
Dougherty School System officials are dealing with an $8.3 million budget shortfall for FY 2015
The reduction in force of teachers and administrators are part of a plan to balance the Dougherty County School System budget for the fiscal year that starts July 1.
Estimates of the number of homeless living in a wooded North Albany area range from 18 to 60
Albany city officials so far are taking a hands-off approach to a homeless group living in woods off 16th Avenue in North Albany.
Deal would allow Rabbitman Footwear to move into former skate park property
The Albany-Dougherty Inner City Authority agrees to a lease plan with Rabbitman Footwear’s Tony Williams.
The Hospital Authority reviews an agreement involving property near its Phoebe North campus
A subordination agreement between the Hospital Authority of Albany-Dougherty County and Dr. Jonathan Payne concerns a piece of property just north of the Phoebe North for which, while not included in the $195 million transaction for the hospital, the Hospital Authority has a title conveyance.
Shirlette Davis-Marcus is running for the District 6 Dougherty Board of Education seat being vacated by Darrel Ealum
ASU coaching legend Hamp Smith endorses Shirlette Davis-Marcus for school board seat
Southwest Georgia political news from The Albany Herald newspaper in Albany, Ga. and albanyherald.com
- Early votes to decide Dougherty County election races
- Darrel Ealum upsets Rep. Carol Fullerton in Georgia House 153 runoff
- Liberian President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf, a Nobel Peace Prize laureate, visits Albany | VIDEO
- Recently elected Harry James prepared to move into Dougherty commission seat
- 'Third candidate' Muarlean Edwards endorses Darrel Ealum in House District 153 runoff
- Dennis Roland, Robert Usry winners in Lee County election
- U.S. Senate candidates make last pitches to area voters
- GOP Senate candidates avoid Sen. Saxby Chambliss' fiscal path in debate
- ACA likely to dominate race for insurance post
- Albany forum gives look at Democratic hopefuls
Albany and Southwest Georgia Education News
- ASU grad Scott Craft one of 100 to attend Harvard Leadership Institute
- Andrew College President David Seyle announces retirement
- Deerfield-Windsor awarded $50,000 grant from Edward E. Ford Foundation
- Brian Dougherty named Sherwood Christian Academy's new headmaster
- Twenty-seven Deerfield-Windsor School students recognized as AP Scholars
- Dougherty County School Board approves $14.6 million One-to-One Technology Initiative
- Dougherty BOE to hold unusual three-session work day Thursday
- New “Strategic Plan” being built in the Dougherty County School System
- Dougherty’s CRCT scores show upward trend from 2013
- Dougherty School Board holds first of three public hearings on property tax rates
- Sometimes a picture says it all ... 3 comments
- Is the city set to kill the multimodal project? 1 comment
- Oh the irony...legislators ban cameras from hearing on 'Open Government' 4 comments
- Commissioner officially gets 'schooled' 1 comment
- City commission meeting moved
- EPA releases interactive polluter map
- Ya'll Come on Back Now, Ya' hear?
- County pondering Gillionville speed limit change
- Commissioners bid adieu to the mayor in their own unique fashion 3 comments
- Prohibition by abstention?