A magistrate court will have added capability to be a second courtroom for jury trials
The jail budget is $2,139,209, or 9 percent of Lee County’s total budget of $23,456,773.
He’s most proud of helping to get funding for new academic building at Albany State University
Rookie state Rep. Darrel Ealum says his first session in General Assembly was a learning experience.
Womens services for Albany Area Primary Health Care expected to move to 2100 Palmyra Road
The order removing the preliminary injunction, which court documents show was filed at 5:30 p.m. on April 2, follows a settlement announced last week by the Federal Trade Commission regarding its opposition to the purchase of Phoebe North, formerly Palmyra Medical Center, by the Hospital Authority of Albany-Dougherty County.
Leesburg police should be equipped with the cameras in three weeks
Leesburg Police Chief Charlie Moore says the 11 body cameras will cost $4,345 and enable each city police officer to be outfitted with one.
City leaders say development authority must work with city to improve downtown
Albany city commissioners say ADICA’s development efforts must go through them.
County employees will receive health care treatment at downtown clinic
The Dougherty County Commission formally approves an on-site employee health clinic.
Speaking at Albany Rotary Club, NewTownMacon CEO describes successful downtown formula
As Albany stuggles with revitalizing its downtown, the CEO of NewTownMacon says his non-profit’s work with Bibb County government and private businesses has been a winning formula for Macon.
Landlords, property owners not compelled to maintain rental property
A number of Albany citizens, many of them renters, say their utility bills have skyrocketed since the city took control of running utility operations.
Leesburg's north bypass on pace for December completion
History was made in Leesburg Wednesday when construction crews began erecting an overpass crossing U.S. Highway 19 as part of the Leesburg North Bypass project.
Insurance consultant tells county officials clinic would save on health plan costs
The Dougherty County Commission is expected to decide next week whether to open an on-site employee health clinic downtown.
Dougherty Police Chief Jackie Battle says she's had to fill 48 of 55 positions since 2011
Dougherty County Police Chief Jackie Battle introduces Kenneth Johnson as the department’s new assistant chief.
Department responsible for Albany/Dougherty Procurement, Fleet Management, Materials Management
The Albany/Dougherty County Central Services department supplies pencils, buildings, vehicles … and everything in between.
City official pushes education for employees she calls 'backbone' of city government
Albany City Clerk Sonja Tolbert is named president of the 400-member Georgia Municipal Clerks & Finance Officers Association.
Confusion over proposed changes leaves Albany city commissioners with unanswered questions
Albany city commissioners decide to prolong their discussion of proposed changes to the city’s sign ordinance.
Vote to proceed was 4-1 with Vice Chairman Roland dissenting
Lee County Commission Chair Rick Muggridge says the Forrester/Oakland extension is the “most important economic development project this county could do,” adding there is “significant investment” in the county waiting for the $7.7 million road to be completed.
Southwest Georgia political news from The Albany Herald newspaper in Albany, Ga. and albanyherald.com
- U.S. Sen. David Perdue outlines three crises in maiden Senate speech | VIDEO
- Dorothy Hubbard, Jon Howard, Roger Marietta to seek re-election
- Waffle House official: We break ground in April
- Rep. Ed Rynders reappointed to OneGeorgia Overview Commission
- Capitol Votes: Georgia delegation for week ending March 5, 2015
- Rep. Darrel Ealum to speak at Albany town hall meeting
- U.S. Sen. David Perdue of Georgia opposes attorney general nominee
- State Rep. Ed Rynders co-sponsors bill to make early voting uniform across Georgia
- Capitol Votes -- Jan. 16-22, 2015
- Founding Fathers got started as Sons of Liberty
Albany and Southwest Georgia Education News
- Deal marks Teacher Appreciation Week with swing through Albany
- Lt. Gov. Casey Cagle pushing charter schools, career academy initiatives
- Albany Technical College holds Spring Commencement
- GSU student nurse Morgan Bass, a 'preemie,' wanted to work with babies
- Albany Area Education Briefs
- Albany Briefs - April 26, 2015
- University of Alabama honors Albany State President Art Dunning, who helped break color barrier on football team
- Albany Relay for Life raises funds to fight cancer | PHOTO GALLERY
- Student, alum react to Flags Over VSU rally Friday near Valdosta State University
- Darton State College Foundation holds its annual gala
- Sometimes a picture says it all ... 3 comments
- Is the city set to kill the multimodal project? 1 comment
- Oh the irony...legislators ban cameras from hearing on 'Open Government' 4 comments
- Commissioner officially gets 'schooled' 1 comment
- City commission meeting moved
- EPA releases interactive polluter map
- Ya'll Come on Back Now, Ya' hear?
- County pondering Gillionville speed limit change
- Commissioners bid adieu to the mayor in their own unique fashion 3 comments
- Prohibition by abstention?