Developer gets five-year window to upgrade apartment complex
The Albany City Commission tentatively agrees to a note modification on the 42-unit Nativity Village apartment complex.
Ongoing program will help alleviate localized flooding
The Dougherty County Commission kicks off the new year by approving continuation of a storm drainage project in East Albany.
Area legislators hear Albany, Dougherty wish lists prior to opening of General Assembly
City, County officials present area lawmakers with a list of items they’d like to see moved upon in the next legislative session.
Most available land at the south Albany industrial park is in use
Albany-Dougherty Economic Development Commission officials say activity at a county industrial park could spur retail growth in south Albany.
Officials with the Albany company plan to start curbside pickup in January
Albany City commissioners make a number of decisions on local alcohol licenses and ordinanaces.
County manager picks Bobby Watkins to direct EMS, fire operations
The purpose behind the creation of a public safety department is to cross train all employees to be both a firefighter and an EMS technician. When training and certifications are complete, each dually trained employee will become a “first responder” who can fight a fire or treat a patient.
Group member questions Hospital Authority and commissioner's integrity
Four citizens, angered over the Dougherty County Commission’s rejection of Dr. Price Corr for the Hospital Authority, speak their mind.
Development board cites lack of tenant for College Drive property
The Albany-Dougherty Inner City Authority board votes to turn down a $43,000 bid on a seldom-used downtown skate park.
State Rep. Ed Rynders reports that Lee County will receive Georgia DOT funding for two projects
The Lee County Commission also also adopted a new medical insurance plan that will begin Feb. 1 and require county employees to assume a higher share of the cost of insurance.
Commissioner Ivey Hines asks for more information on apartment complex rate modification
Discussion turns heated during the Albany City Commission’s work session Tuesday morning.
Liquor-by-drink license fees in Albany are set for a 64 percent jump
Albany bar and restaurant owners say the city is being unreasonable in its efforts to increase alcohol license fees.
The Doughtery School Board heard what the public wants in a new superintendent
The Dougherty County School Board on Monday held a listening session to get community feedback as the board moves forward in its search for a permanent replacement for Interim Superintendent Butch Mosely.
The District has cut furlough days from six to four over the past six months
The Dougherty County School Board on Monday cut another employee furlough day
Workers covered by the county insurance would pay more if they use tobacco products
A new four-tier option plan will be offered to workers employed by Lee County.
Pipeline to plant could bring $1.1 million annually to utility
Albany’s Water, Gas and Light Commission votes to become part of the Municipal Gas Authority of Georgia collective.
Southwest Georgia political news from The Albany Herald newspaper in Albany, Ga. and albanyherald.com
- Gov. Nathan Deal signs SB 349 into law at the Southwest Georgia Regional Airport (Video)
- Sen. Saxby Chambliss looking to next stage of life (Video)
- Three seeking county commission seats in Lee County
- Medical marijuana bill passes Georgia House
- Georgia Supreme Court to hear appeal in Baker County School Board case
- Immigration may be next up for U.S. House
- Southwest Georgia congressional delegation mixed on reactions to State of the Union address (VIDEOS)
- Jeff Sinyard will not seek re-election to Dougherty County Commission chairmanship
- U.S. Rep. Jack Kingston rebuts perk claim
- Col. Allen West to speak at Lincoln Day event in Lee County
Albany and Southwest Georgia Education News
- Metro Albany Briefs - April 16, 2014
- Elimination of Dougherty County school staff furlough days still on agenda
- Dougherty County Teacher of the Year finalist Sandra Masters says each child is unique (Video)
- Dougherty Teacher of the year finalist Martez Favis credits success to pain, support (Video)
- Dougherty Teacher of the Year finalist Tracey Wingfield believes greatness lies within all students (Video)
- Dougherty Teacher of the Year finalist Sarah Bivins says her mother knew best (Video)
- Dougherty Teacher of Year finalist Jennifer Lewis-Polite always wanted to be a teacher (VIDEO)
- Dougherty Teacher of the Year finalist Victoria Brackins wants to share her knowledge (VIDEO)
- Dougherty Teacher of the Year finalist Patricia Littleton says reward is impacting lives (VIDEO)
- Dougherty County Teacher of The Year finalist Yolanda Bryant says teaching is her destiny (VIDEO)
- Sometimes a picture says it all ... 3 comments
- Is the city set to kill the multimodal project? 1 comment
- Oh the irony...legislators ban cameras from hearing on 'Open Government' 4 comments
- Commissioner officially gets 'schooled' 1 comment
- City commission meeting moved
- EPA releases interactive polluter map
- Ya'll Come on Back Now, Ya' hear?
- County pondering Gillionville speed limit change
- Commissioners bid adieu to the mayor in their own unique fashion 3 comments
- Prohibition by abstention?