Thronateeska, RiverQuarium updates part of Dougherty Commission agenda
State officials give an Albany tourist attraction a “dot on the map” boost.
Tom Berry contemplates his exit strategy as Albany leaders fight 'opportunities'
Tom Berry says a lack of support for City Manager James Taylor by some Albany leaders may hasten his exit.
QUOTES: Words worth repeating
They Said It…is a compilation of quotes by notable folks.
Clinton Johnson, Bobby Coleman say landmark traffic pass-through a safety hazard
Albany and Dougherty County leaders are working together to try and initiate improvements at a city underpass.
Aviation Commission ready for Phase III of renovation project
Southwest Georgia Regional Airport is one of 90 nationwide to qualify for online training awards.
Albany City Commission will ultimately rule on task force recommendations
An Albany Sign Task Force reaches concensus on recommendations for the city’s sign ordinance.
QUOTES: Words worth repeating
They Said It…is a compilation of quotes by notable folks
Lee County Planning Commission recommends denial, as do area residents
A proposed concrete plant looking to locate in Lee County has encountered opposition from residents and the county Planning Commission.
Freshman Albany city commissioner’s comments generate animated business discussion
Albany City Commissioner B.J. Fletcher says property owners should be held accountable for not maintaining their properties.
Dougherty Commission mulls ISO fire rating improvement project
Many Dougherty County property owners may soon see reduced fire insurance premiums thanks to a new plan proposed to improve the county’s insurance ratings.
Two Albany icons -- one a former restaurant, the other a world-famous restaurateur -- top this weeks list.
These are the 10 most-viewed articles on albanyherald.com for the week of March 21-28, 2014.
State Rep. Ed Rynders, County Commission Chairman Rick Muggridge, Commissioner Greg Frich and Chamber CEO Winston Oxford speak to the group
State Rep. Ed Rynders challenges the Leadership Lee grads to become engaged in local government, to appreciate the quality of life that Lee County offers and to have “civilized debate” about issues.
Residents of northern Lee County, dealing with high insurance costs, want improved services
Commissioner Dennis Roland and his constituents from northern Lee County residents show frustration over the lack of progress in providing fire protection services to the less population dense area of the county.
City code offers specific directions for numeric property identifiers
Albany officials warn that complying with city adressing codes is beneficial to businesses and residents.
The $12.27 million facility will replace a 46-year-old Regional YDC in Albany
Funding for the project is included in the state of Georgia’s Fiscal Year 2015 spending plan, which goes into effect July 1.
Southwest Georgia political news from The Albany Herald newspaper in Albany, Ga. and albanyherald.com
- Early votes to decide Dougherty County election races
- Darrel Ealum upsets Rep. Carol Fullerton in Georgia House 153 runoff
- Liberian President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf, a Nobel Peace Prize laureate, visits Albany | VIDEO
- Recently elected Harry James prepared to move into Dougherty commission seat
- 'Third candidate' Muarlean Edwards endorses Darrel Ealum in House District 153 runoff
- Dennis Roland, Robert Usry winners in Lee County election
- U.S. Senate candidates make last pitches to area voters
- GOP Senate candidates avoid Sen. Saxby Chambliss' fiscal path in debate
- ACA likely to dominate race for insurance post
- Albany forum gives look at Democratic hopefuls
Albany and Southwest Georgia Education News
- ASU grad Scott Craft one of 100 to attend Harvard Leadership Institute
- Andrew College President David Seyle announces retirement
- Deerfield-Windsor awarded $50,000 grant from Edward E. Ford Foundation
- Brian Dougherty named Sherwood Christian Academy's new headmaster
- Twenty-seven Deerfield-Windsor School students recognized as AP Scholars
- Dougherty County School Board approves $14.6 million One-to-One Technology Initiative
- Dougherty BOE to hold unusual three-session work day Thursday
- New “Strategic Plan” being built in the Dougherty County School System
- Dougherty’s CRCT scores show upward trend from 2013
- Dougherty School Board holds first of three public hearings on property tax rates
- Sometimes a picture says it all ... 3 comments
- Is the city set to kill the multimodal project? 1 comment
- Oh the irony...legislators ban cameras from hearing on 'Open Government' 4 comments
- Commissioner officially gets 'schooled' 1 comment
- City commission meeting moved
- EPA releases interactive polluter map
- Ya'll Come on Back Now, Ya' hear?
- County pondering Gillionville speed limit change
- Commissioners bid adieu to the mayor in their own unique fashion 3 comments
- Prohibition by abstention?