Newspaper article angers aviation commissioner, who challenges fellow board members
A member of the Albany-Dougherty Aviation Commission labels comments by fellow board members in an Albany Herald article regarding management of the airport “reprehensible,” leading to a heated exchange at Monday’s meeting.
Mayor looking into raises for city employees
Albany Mayor Dorothy Hubbard spoke to Dougherty County Kiwanis Club Monday, reminding the gathered members that everyone in the community must work together to ensure a prosperous future for all citizens of the city.
Joint meeting focuses on administrative, legislative zoning decisions
The Dougherty County and Albany-Dougherty Planning commissions hold a joint meeting to discuss issues of common importance.
Three-quarter-mill increase will be used to fund county employee pay raises
The Dougherty County Commission conducts a third state-required public hearing to discuss a proposed millage rate increase and then votes to approve the increase.
Leaders say Southwest Georgia Regional Airport an economic hub
Albany officials will discuss the immediate future of the Southwest Georgia Regional Airport with Aviation Commission members this week.
Price per employee rising to $15,054 compared to $8,700 in 2011
Since 2011, Muggridge said the health care costs paid by the commission have gone from $1.7 million to $3.4 million. “That $1.7 million would pave a lot of roads, give a lot of raises, hire a lot of people and improve our county services,” he said.
School millage rate to remain at 18.445 for the 10th consecutive year
The Dougherty County School Board on Monday held the final of three required public hearings on a tax increase for county property owners. After one person spoke the board voted 5-0 to keep the school millage rate at 18.445.
U.S. Sen. David Perdue says he fears deal does not go far enough
Congress has 60 days to decide whether to seek a resolution of disapproval that would prevent President Obama from removing sanctions against Iran as part of the agreement that U.S. and five other nations’ negotiators reached with Iranian negotiators Tuesday.
Public comment absent from first of three millage rate increase hearings
The Dougherty County Commission schedules the first of three state-required public hearings on a small millage rate increase, and no one signs up to speak.
Here is how the Georgia congressional delegation voted on roll call issues last week
Here’s a look at how Georgia’s delegation to the U.S. House and U.S. Senate voted last week on important issues.
Albany city manager cites 'personnel matter' in confirming Cohen's termination
Albany City Manager Sharon Subadan confirms that city HR Director Henry Cohen is “in the process” of being terminated from his position.
Katie Hughes to serve as new sales manager for Albany Convention and Visitors Bureau
In an effort to bolster additional tourism revenue for the city and surrounding area, the Albany Convention and Visitors Bureau (CVB), has welcomed Katie Hughes as the organization’s new sales manager in hopes that her fresh perspective will entice others outside the community to make the Good Life City a must-visit destination.
Complaints that started last year have support from comparative study of plans
Last week, the consulting firm Aon Hewitt reported that members of the State Health Benefit Plan pay a greater proportion of health care costs than people covered in six comparable employee plans studied — those of five other Southern states’ plans, plus University System of Georgia workers.
Albany mayor is in line to be GMA president in 2018
Albany Mayor Dorothy Hubbard is named third vice president of the Georgia Municipal Association at its annual meeting.
Applicant Morgan III Properties can extend deadline if it waives 70-day deadline
The Dougherty County Commission plans to rule on a rezoning request within its required 70-day period.
Southwest Georgia political news from The Albany Herald newspaper in Albany, Ga. and albanyherald.com
- Lane Rosen challenging Dorothy Hubbard for Albany mayor's seat
- Postell qualifies, completes list of announced candidates
- Albany City Commission candidate Chad Warbington resigns appointed board positions
- Municipal candidates get early jump on qualifying
- Weeklong municipal election qualifying in Albany starts
- Georgia Political Briefs
- Mayoral candidate Taylor to hold barbecue fundraiser
- Dougherty County Elections Board names Lonzie White chairman
- Bobby McKinney to step down from county Elections Board
- Qualifying dates set for Albany election
Albany and Southwest Georgia Education News
- Albany Region College and Career Academy gets financial boost | PHOTOS
- ABAC performance series starts on Sept. 27
- Lt. Gov. Casey Cagle to visit Albany Technical College Thursday
- ILOGIC a different kind of community education | PHOTOS
- Sub-surface drip irrigation a possible solution for some Georgia peanut farmers
- Albany Technical College nursing program ranked No. 52 nationally
- Family Literacy Center's goal is to educate the entire family
- Marching Albany State Rams take Albany Mall shoppers by surprise | PHOTOS
- Governor's education reformers take aim at Georgia teacher pay scales
- Leadership Albany welcomes new class | PHOTO GALLERY
- Sometimes a picture says it all ... 3 comments
- Is the city set to kill the multimodal project? 1 comment
- Oh the irony...legislators ban cameras from hearing on 'Open Government' 4 comments
- Commissioner officially gets 'schooled' 1 comment
- City commission meeting moved
- EPA releases interactive polluter map
- Ya'll Come on Back Now, Ya' hear?
- County pondering Gillionville speed limit change
- Commissioners bid adieu to the mayor in their own unique fashion 3 comments
- Prohibition by abstention?