Community leader wants to help local politicians with their campaigns
Bobby McKinney has decided to resign his position as chairman of the Dougherty Board of Registration and Elections to help with local political campaigns.
If finalized, the Albany Utility Board and some city services would move to the 400 block of Pine Avenue
The Albany City Commission tentatively approves $2,815,945.01 in spending to purchase, furnish and renovate former bank property on Pine Avenue for use by the city’s utility and other city offices.
Move could pave way for microbrewery on property for agriculture
The Dougherty County Commission voted 6-1 to approve a text amendment that will allow certain agribusiness and agritourism uses in districts zoned for agriculture.
Former Dougherty High principal spent a life time in public service
Commodore Conyers found dead at his home.
Utility authority can now only recommend actions to Albany City Commission
Members of the Albany Utility Board say the city manager’s interpretation of the city charter, which regulates the panel to an advisory-only capacity, makes decision-making slower.
Joint property purchase made by Albany officials in effort to spur downtown development
The Albany-Dougherty Inner City Authority agrees to jointly purchase, with the city of Albany, property on Front Street and Pine Avenue to create business opportunities and spark downtown development.
Albany-Dougherty leaders share thoughts on state of Albany/Dougherty County community | VIDEO | PHOTO GALLERY
Albany Mayor, Dougherty County Chair, DCSS Superintendent form community update panel
Continued collaboration was the overarching theme as three of the community’s leaders joined a panel to discuss the state of Albany and Dougherty County at the Albany Area Chamber of Commerce’s annual State of the Community luncheon.
Agreement allows Albany Holdings to begin preparation for Home2 Suites
The Albany City Commission agrees to a memorandum of understanding that will allow for the construction of a second hotel downtown.
County, school board representatives to discuss issues
A town hall meeting is scheduled for citizens of Dougherty County’s District 6 on Monday.
City commissioner says compressor station in south Dougherty would pose environmental risks
Albany Ward 4 City Commissioner Roger Marietta brought two of his major topics — halting construction of a compressor station for the proposed Sabal Trail Pipeline and the city’s recent economic successes — before the Dougherty County Kiwanis Club Monday.
County leaders try to determine best method for addressing overgrown lots
Dougherty County commissioners are trying to find a way to force property owners to cut their overgrown lots.
Back 2 School Bash: A Commitment to Learning was hosted by GCAPS at Robert Cross Park on Saturday.
Proposed land use amendment would allow greater use of agricultural land
As county commission prepares to decide whether a proposed microbrewery might locate in western Dougherty County, the Albany Dougherty Planning Commission is addressing potential land use issues head-on through a proposed admendment to the county’s plannin and zoning ordances.
Documents determine how city is governed
Albany city officials say the municipality’s charter is the bedrock of its existence.
Heavy rains have kept Recreation and Parks Department maintenance crews behind schedule
Albany’s city manager approves employee overtime for grounds maintenance employees to catch up with their work.
Southwest Georgia political news from The Albany Herald newspaper in Albany, Ga. and albanyherald.com
- Tracy Taylor says he's optimistic about challenge for Albany's mayor
- Dorothy Hubbard: Albany at the door of economic recovery
- Albany City Commissioner Roger Marietta plans campaign rally
- Albany candidates take off their kid gloves
- Is legalized pari-mutuel betting on horses in Georgia nearing the starting gate?
- Georgia U.S. senators blast Democrats for blocking Iran nuclear deal vote
- Lane Rosen challenging Dorothy Hubbard for Albany mayor's seat
- Postell qualifies, completes list of announced candidates
- Albany City Commission candidate Chad Warbington resigns appointed board positions
- Municipal candidates get early jump on qualifying
Albany and Southwest Georgia Education News
- Deerfield cuts ribbon on new Graham Lowe Family Health and Fitness Center | PHOTOS
- Firefighters present annual Kids Fire Safety Day Event | PHOTOS
- AT&T brings 'It Can Wait' Campaign to Darton State College
- Large crowd attends public hearing on charter schools in Dougherty
- Kids Fire Safety Event headed to the Albany Civic Center
- Renovated Southside Library branch set for January reopening | PHOTOS
- Albany Technical College President Anthony Parker pleased with rising graduation rate
- Dougherty High student found dead in her home late Friday
- Backpack Blessings provides food for Lee children
- Educators treated to two-day, hands on tour of Ft. Benning
- Sometimes a picture says it all ... 3 comments
- Is the city set to kill the multimodal project? 1 comment
- Oh the irony...legislators ban cameras from hearing on 'Open Government' 4 comments
- Commissioner officially gets 'schooled' 1 comment
- City commission meeting moved
- EPA releases interactive polluter map
- Ya'll Come on Back Now, Ya' hear?
- County pondering Gillionville speed limit change
- Commissioners bid adieu to the mayor in their own unique fashion 3 comments
- Prohibition by abstention?