Weddings are expected to be among events conducted on former Cypress Pond Plantation land
More than 98 percent of the 1,638 acres of land on a Southwest Albany plantation will remain in agricultural use.
The Dougherty School System currently has five employee furlough days
Healthy reserve fund balance has Dougherty School Board talking about removing another employee furlough day, reducing total number for fiscal year to four.
Approval of the naming is still needed from the Lee County Commission and Smithville City Council
The document approved Tuesday night recognizes “all military veterans of Lee County.” The wording states that designating the highway Veterans Memorial Highway “will provide recognition of such sacrifice and serve as a reminder to all that freedom is not free.”
Twenty-six voters cast early ballots in Albany City Commission runoff
Incumbent Ivey Hines and challenger Bobby Coleman will find out their political fate today in an Albany City Commission runoff election.
Low-income households that need help with heating costs can apply
Low-income households that want to apply for heating assistance must first contact the Dougherty County Neighborhood Service Center by phone to set up an appointment.
Albany residents will see stormwater fee added to utility bills starting in April
The Albany City Commission gives ultimate approval to creation of a federally mandated stormwater utility and enterprise fund, which will come from user fees.
Challenger in Ward II Albany City Commission race trailed by 21 votes
Challenger Bobby Coleman will face incumbent Ivey Hines in an Albany City Commission runoff Dec. 3.
Federal officials mandated the closure of Southwestern State Hospital in Thomasville
Area mental health officials say patients detained by law enforcement will not be housed in Albany.
Ivey Hines was top vote-getter in Nov. 5 Ward II contest
Ward II voters will return to the polls Dec. 3 to detrmine who will represent them on the Albany City Commission.
Water, Gas and Light's The Endowment program mentors women from Turner Job Corps
Albany’s Water, Gas and Light Commission recently graduated eight Turner Job Corps women from a charitable initiative the company administers know as The Endowment.
Albany town hall program addresses holiday crime
Commissioner Jon Howard’s town hall meeting is designed to counter holiday crime.
The EDC's 'We Are Albany' is generating positive community response
A video created by Albany-Dougherty Economic Development Commission staff and a communications firm using a smartphone is creating a buzz about Albany.
Bryce Johnson declares his candidacy for Georgia Denate District 13
Worth County native Bryce Johnson announces in Tifton that he is running to succeed retiring state Sen. John Crosby.
Commissioner Frank Berry discusses impact of state hospital closures in Georgia
Behavioral health crisis centers in Albany, Thomasville and Valdosta are being established to help make up for the closure of Southwestern State Hospital in Thomasville at the end of the year.
The seat is being vacated by Sen. John Crosby when his term ends next year
Georgia Senate District 13 includes Worth and Lee counties.
Southwest Georgia political news from The Albany Herald newspaper in Albany, Ga. and albanyherald.com
- Sen. Saxby Chambliss looking to next stage of life (Video)
- Three seeking county commission seats in Lee County
- Medical marijuana bill passes Georgia House
- Georgia Supreme Court to hear appeal in Baker County School Board case
- Immigration may be next up for U.S. House
- Southwest Georgia congressional delegation mixed on reactions to State of the Union address (VIDEOS)
- Jeff Sinyard will not seek re-election to Dougherty County Commission chairmanship
- U.S. Rep. Jack Kingston rebuts perk claim
- Col. Allen West to speak at Lincoln Day event in Lee County
- U.S. Rep. Sanford Bishop has successful battle with cancer
Albany and Southwest Georgia Education News
- Elimination of Dougherty County school staff furlough days still on agenda
- Dougherty County Teacher of the Year finalist Sandra Masters says each child is unique (Video)
- Dougherty Teacher of the year finalist Martez Favis credits success to pain, support (Video)
- Dougherty Teacher of the Year finalist Tracey Wingfield believes greatness lies within all students (Video)
- Dougherty Teacher of the Year finalist Sarah Bivins says her mother knew best (Video)
- Dougherty Teacher of Year finalist Jennifer Lewis-Polite always wanted to be a teacher (VIDEO)
- Dougherty Teacher of the Year finalist Victoria Brackins wants to share her knowledge (VIDEO)
- Dougherty Teacher of the Year finalist Patricia Littleton says reward is impacting lives (VIDEO)
- Dougherty County Teacher of The Year finalist Yolanda Bryant says teaching is her destiny (VIDEO)
- Butch Mosely lays out three-year plan for Dougherty County Schools
- Sometimes a picture says it all ... 3 comments
- Is the city set to kill the multimodal project? 1 comment
- Oh the irony...legislators ban cameras from hearing on 'Open Government' 4 comments
- Commissioner officially gets 'schooled' 1 comment
- City commission meeting moved
- EPA releases interactive polluter map
- Ya'll Come on Back Now, Ya' hear?
- County pondering Gillionville speed limit change
- Commissioners bid adieu to the mayor in their own unique fashion 3 comments
- Prohibition by abstention?