Cutliff Grove Family Resource Center wants financial help with Nativity complex
Albany officials discuss options for a low-, moderate-income housing complex during a City Commission work session.
Marine Corps Logistics Base-Albany receives the Environmental Protection Agency Energy Combined Heat and Power Award
The Marine Corps Logistics Base-Albany was awarded the United States Environmental Protection Agency Energy Star Combined Heat and Power Award this week.
Dougherty government signs off on school bonds
The Dougherty County Commission gives formal approval to several business matters, including employee bonuses.
Job opening now posted on Georgia School Boards Association website
The Dougherty County School System has begun searching for a new superintendent as job opening is now posted on the Georgia School Boards Association website
Numerous other costs will rise after a year of extremely high claims
No decisions have been made, but Rabun said it is likely there will be an increase in the monthly deduction for health coverage. Now, a Lee County employee pays $49 a pay period for coverage that includes just the employee, assuming he participates in an optional wellness program. The cost is $86 otherwise.
Impact of state hospital closures to be discussed at upcoming forum
Frank Berry, commissioner of the Georgia Department of Behavorial Health and Developmental Disabilities, will be the main speaker at a forum on Tuesday discussing behavorial health issues.
Two Water, Gas and Light Commission employees are recognized for rendering aid to a citizen
Officials tour Water, Gas and Light treatment, maintenance, warehouse/purchasing facilities, getting a close look at daily operations.
Members of a Georgia black mayors organization want increased protection for Dawson Mayor Christopher Wright
Dawson Mayor Christopher Wright continues to recover from multiple gunshot wounds he suffered at his home on Oct. 31.
An Albany Marine base was one of two federal facilities to recently receive an ENERGY STAR award
Combined Heat and Power, also known as cogeneration, simultaneously produces electricity and useful steam or hot water from a single heat source, using fuels such as natural gas or renewable landfill gas — helping federal facilities achieve goals to reduce carbon pollution and energy use.
The following is a list of events happening soon in the Albany area.
$2.50 monthly storm water utility rate set by Albany is state’s second-lowest
The city of Albany will wait until March to start collecting storm water fees.
Mayor Christopher Wright was shot multiple times Oct. 31 at his Dawson home
NAACP officials in Terrell County have established a medical fund for wounded Dawson mayor Christopher Wright, who is in serious condition.
The U.S. Marine Corps, founded in 1775, is celebrating its birthday on Sunday
The Marine Corps birthday has been observed since a 1921 order by then-Commandant Gen. John LeJuene as a reminder of the accomplishments of the Corps from its service since 1775.
Sylvester Mayor Bill Yearta easily wins re-electyion
Ward 4 Councilman Larry Johnson defeats two opponents for new Sylvester City Council term.
Pats Bicycle Shop is depicted on Easter Seals 2013 Albany Christmas ornament
Easter Seals Southern Georgia revealed its 2013 Albany Christmas ornament, which depicts a bicycle shop that operated in downtown Albany for 35 years.
Southwest Georgia political news from The Albany Herald newspaper in Albany, Ga. and albanyherald.com
- Three seeking county commission seats in Lee County
- Medical marijuana bill passes Georgia House
- Georgia Supreme Court to hear appeal in Baker County School Board case
- Immigration may be next up for U.S. House
- Southwest Georgia congressional delegation mixed on reactions to State of the Union address (VIDEOS)
- Jeff Sinyard will not seek re-election to Dougherty County Commission chairmanship
- U.S. Rep. Jack Kingston rebuts perk claim
- Col. Allen West to speak at Lincoln Day event in Lee County
- U.S. Rep. Sanford Bishop has successful battle with cancer
- Southwest Georgians named in Georgia Trend as among 100 most influential Georgians
Albany and Southwest Georgia Education News
- Dougherty School Board approves tentative 2014-15 calendar which eliminates furlough days
- Leroy Bynum Leaving Albany State University for position in New York
- T. Marshall Jones to be roasted for Albany Tech Foundation fundraiser
- ASU sorority promotes the making of good choices by youths
- Dougherty County School System Education Notebook
- Dougherty County School System Notebook
- Girl Talk's Project Inside Out coming to Albany
- Rotary and Lee County Schools help Liberian students
- Dougherty County’s STAR Student, Teacher are named
- Changes on the horizon at Darton
- Sometimes a picture says it all ... 3 comments
- Is the city set to kill the multimodal project? 1 comment
- Oh the irony...legislators ban cameras from hearing on 'Open Government' 4 comments
- Commissioner officially gets 'schooled' 1 comment
- City commission meeting moved
- EPA releases interactive polluter map
- Ya'll Come on Back Now, Ya' hear?
- County pondering Gillionville speed limit change
- Commissioners bid adieu to the mayor in their own unique fashion 3 comments
- Prohibition by abstention?