Civilian employees aboard the Marine Corps Logistics Base-Albany installation have all been recalled and internal base functions have resumed as normal as of Monday.
The Dougherty County Board of Commissioners is close to approving the purchase of a new $1.7 million Criminal Justice Information System designed to allow all local law enforcement and emergency response agencies to collect and share data using the same computer platform.
A former Lee County official says a Kentucky appeals court ruling proves he was never guilty of an ethics violation.
Mayor Hubbards war against littering enters enforcement phase
Georgia House Speaker David Ralston attended a fundraiser in Lee County Wednesday in support of state Rep. Ed Rynders re-election campaign.
Bob Alexander will begin his duty as Leesburg’s first city manager on Oct. 28.
Scammers are targeting customers of Albany’s Water, Gas & Light Commission.
An Albany city commissioner’s call for a utility audit dies for lack of a second.
Despite bids that jumped from an estimated $2.7 million to $4.2 million, work is a step closer to starting on Phase 3 of the Southwest Georgia Regional Airport’s overall upgrade.
Military personnel as well as emergency services are not being impacted by furloughs at MCLB-Albany due to the federal government shutdown, officials at the base say.
Congressman says American people have a right to be mighty fed up.
Rep. Austin Scott, R-Augusta today announced he has signed onto the Government Shutdown Fairness Act (H.R. 3160), which would prohibit Members of Congress from receiving a salary during a government shutdown.
A delegation of state legislators and county commission, spent Monday morning visiting four Dougherty County libraries to get a firsthand look at facility renovations.
Lee County commissioners have offered the county manager job to Ron Rabun.
The interim Albany Water, Gas & Light Commission GM says he will leave no stone unturned in finding ways to improve the utility’s finances.
Southwest Georgia political news from The Albany Herald newspaper in Albany, Ga. and albanyherald.com
- U.S. Senate candidate Michelle Nunn visits Albany Technical College
- Albany City Commission Ward II candidates Ivey Hines, Bobby Coleman set for runoff
- Ward II challenger Bobby Coleman says turnout crucial in runoff
- Incumbent Albany City Commissioner Ivey Hines set for runoff
- Bryce Johnson seeks Senate seat being vacated by John Crosby
- Worth Solicitor-General Bryce Johnson to run for Senate District 13
- Sen. John Crosby to retire from Georgia Legislature
- Carter, Nunn largely untested but give Democrats hope
- Sylvester voters return incumbents to office
- Newton voters OK Sunday liquor sales by single vote
Albany and Southwest Georgia Education News
- Dougherty County schools may reduce furlough days by one
- Robert Cross wins Middle School Academic Bowl (VIDEO)
- Lee County School System Notebook - Dec. 4, 2013
- Albany Technical College recognizes nearly 100 students during Honors Day.
- Dougherty County School System Notebook - Dec. 2, 2013
- Jingle Bell Jam fundraiser benefits Darton, community
- Dougherty County School System Notebook - Dec. 1, 2013
- Outgoing Albany State University interim president praises school and students
- Watermelon disease a double whammy for Georgia growers
- Home School Key Club sponsored by Kiwanis Club of Dougherty County
- Sometimes a picture says it all ... 3 comments
- Is the city set to kill the multimodal project? 1 comment
- Oh the irony...legislators ban cameras from hearing on 'Open Government' 4 comments
- Commissioner officially gets 'schooled' 1 comment
- City commission meeting moved
- EPA releases interactive polluter map
- Ya'll Come on Back Now, Ya' hear?
- County pondering Gillionville speed limit change
- Commissioners bid adieu to the mayor in their own unique fashion 3 comments
- Prohibition by abstention?