Top Government 101 stories
Municipal Court Judge Willie Weaver posts $10,000 bail in connection with his arrest on a felony domestic assault charge.
More Government 101
Pick up a copy of The Albany Herald to find out what everybody’s squawking about.
Company continues trimming its product lineup
The Procter & Gamble Co., based in Cincinnati, said Friday it prefers a spinoff of Duracell, but that it’s considering a sale or other options for Duracell.
OPINION: The Ebola virus has multiplied in a medium of denial
The White House believes it has a management and communications challenge. But the problem is far larger — the inability (so far) to get ahead of the crisis in West Africa with decisive action.
OPINION: To some extent the Obama administration is suffering from self-inflicted wounds
The role of government has turned from an asset to a liability for President Obama. His favorable rating in the latest ABC/Washington Post poll has sunk to 40 percent, the lowest mark of his presidency.
James Tyrone Parker is wanted for escape
James Tyrone Parker is wanted by Dougherty County authorities on an escape charge.
Challenger Greg Hecht says A.G. Sam Olens sought contribution from investigated state senator
State Attorney General Sam Olens is accused by his political opponent of putting pressure on state senator facing investigation.
Temperatures, rainfall, and sun and moon information for the Albany area
Temperatures, rainfall, and sun and moon information for the Albany area.
Event scheduled Nov. 8 at Veterans Park Amphitheater
The event features a gourmet picnic-style dinner catered by Leon Holloway of Americus, a full bar from 6-7:30 p.m., and live music on the riverbank by Yacht Rock Schooner Band and The Jodi Mann Band.
Lowe, who was the school’s first headmaster in 1966, was also DWS’s first football, boys and girls basketball and baseball coach
Deerfield-Windsor breaks ground on new Wellness Center which will honor long-time coach and first headmaster Graham Lowe
The university officially renamed the ACAD Building in tribute to long-time former President Billy Black
Albany State conducts Homecoming Convocation, then renames ACAD Building in honor of late President Billy Black.
SWGA FISHING REPORT: A weekly outlook on how the fish are biting in Southwest Georgia lakes and the Flint River
These are the fishing prospects for this weekend for the Flint River and lakes Blackshear, Seminole and Walter F. George.
Public safety roundup for Albany and Dougherty County
The Albany Police Department responded to at least 24 incidents on Thursday and the early hours of Friday, available reports show.
OPINION: Republicans are suspicious that the Orman campaign is a ruse by Democrats
Calling Greg Orman a cipher suggests he has no positions, or nothing to say. But on some important topics, Orman outlined policies in more detail than incumbent U.S. Sen. Pat Roberts, who he is challenging Nov. 4.. Some of Orman’s views, although certainly not all, would fit comfortably within the range of Republican orthodoxy.
OPINION: Republicans controlling both houses of Congress has some downsides
The electoral map is favorable to GOP candidates, with battlegrounds located mainly in states Mitt Romney carried in 2012. Democrats can win only by running well ahead of President Obama’s approval ratings, which range from the 30s to mid-40s.
FAITH: Reading can strengthen your spiritual life
Finding time to read may involve watching less TV, texting less frequently or playing fewer computer games that occupy our time without providing even a crumb of inspiration or spiritual nutrition or development.
Southwest Georgia government news from The Albany Herald Newspaper in Albany, Ga. and albanyherald.com
- Aviation Commission sets new long-, short-term parking fees
- APD Chief: Albany crime at 10-year low
- Dougherty County Commission considers anti-pipeline resolution
- Dougherty County Commission updated on Ebola virus
- Albany utilities officials ready to move on rural technology plan
- Developer, ADICA to meet on Albany Heights residential proposal
- Gov. Nathan Deal temporarily suspends campaign to mourn death of GOP staffer
- Michelle Nunn promotes literacy during reading event at Martin Luther King Elementary
- Lee County Fire Department getting new pumper for Century station | VIDEO
- Dougherty County Commission to vote on funding for underpass improvement
- Sometimes a picture says it all ... 3 comments
- Is the city set to kill the multimodal project? 1 comment
- Oh the irony...legislators ban cameras from hearing on 'Open Government' 4 comments
- Commissioner officially gets 'schooled' 1 comment
- City commission meeting moved
- EPA releases interactive polluter map
- Ya'll Come on Back Now, Ya' hear?
- County pondering Gillionville speed limit change
- Commissioners bid adieu to the mayor in their own unique fashion 3 comments
- Prohibition by abstention?