Top Government 101 stories
Municipal Court Judge Willie Weaver posts $10,000 bail in connection with his arrest on a felony domestic assault charge.
More Government 101
Officer Richard Taylor of APD responded to call of possible rabid fox in Albany neighborhood
An Albany Police officer, responding to a call about a fox menacing people in northwest Albany, was bitten and scratched before shooting the animal.
Get a copy of The Albany Herald to read about the Bright Side of life.
She picked envelope worth $20,000
As a monthly cash prize winner in the Georgia Lottery’s $1 & $2 Play It Again Second Chance Promotion, Hidi won a chance to select one envelope from 20, with prizes ranging from $5,000 to $100,000.
Improvements would help with traffic snarls near Marine Corps Logistics Base-Albany
The Dougherty County Commission discusses a proposed road improvement project near the county’s Marine base.
JUDSON H. TURNER: Unfounded concerns, rumors surround revision of Flint River Drought Protection Act
GUEST COMMENTARY: Scare tactics used in opposing the Senate bill demonstrate its need to clarify the drought act
SB 213 would revise the Flint River act so that the state can better manage the lower Flint River Basin with drought management tools and avoid harsh measures in times of emergency that might be imposed by courts or the federal government.
Dougherty sheriff asks County Commission to increase employees’ pay
Dougherty County Sheriff Kevin Sproul says he’s now losing employees to smaller departments due to low pay.
OPINION: Conservative conference has face-off between not surrendering and trying to win
Conservatives purport to be interested in new ideas, but it may be that they’re just trying to improve their image.
OPINION: When going gets tough, make the test easier
The “tweaks” to the SAT are a shame because they rob educators of meausres that provide critical information on prospective college students.
Temperatures, rainfall, and sun and moon information for the Albany area
Temperatures, rainfall, and sun and moon information for the Albany area.
Miller evaded arrest this weekend after speeding off from a traffic stop
Albany-Dougherty Drug Unit asks for public’s help in locating Carlton Alfonzo Miller. Miller evaded arrest this weekend after speeding off from a traffic stop.
Poilce and Fire reports
Albany Police foil robbery attempt on Jefferson Street
After nearly 22 years at ASU, Bynum will joining The College of Saint Rose in Albany, N.Y. in July
Leroy Bynum Leaving Albany State University for position in New York. After nearly 22 years at ASU, Bynum will joining The College of Saint Rose in Albany, N.Y. in July
Albany Teen drowns in holding pond. Early reports say the victim was fishing with his brother when he fell into the water.
Walk a Mile in Her Shoes fundraiser for Lily Pad to be held at Deerfield Windsor School
The Lily Pad will be holding its annual Walk a Mile in Her Shoes fundraiser later this month at the Deerfield Windsor School Upper Campus Track.
These are individuals who were booked into the Dougherty County Jail Feb. 27 - March 5, 2014.
Southwest Georgia government news from The Albany Herald Newspaper in Albany, Ga. and albanyherald.com
- Dog dispute in Lee County heads to Superior Court
- City of Albany’s Fiscal Year 2013 audit report a good-news, bad-news mix
- Medical marijuana bill passes Georgia House
- Dougherty County police, fire studies show limited viable options
- Albany City Commission decides to table pit bulldog ordinance
- Albany City Commission must tackle a number of key issues in 2014
- Jeff Sinyard: Coming changes cannot detract from County Commission's focus
- Dougherty County community tennis center part of mega sports park plan
- Auction of four city of Albany properties brings in $566,000, pending commission approval
- Task force convenes to discuss Albany sign ordinance
- Sometimes a picture says it all ... 3 comments
- Is the city set to kill the multimodal project? 1 comment
- Oh the irony...legislators ban cameras from hearing on 'Open Government' 4 comments
- Commissioner officially gets 'schooled' 1 comment
- City commission meeting moved
- EPA releases interactive polluter map
- Ya'll Come on Back Now, Ya' hear?
- County pondering Gillionville speed limit change
- Commissioners bid adieu to the mayor in their own unique fashion 3 comments
- Prohibition by abstention?