Top Government 101 stories
Municipal Court Judge Willie Weaver posts $10,000 bail in connection with his arrest on a felony domestic assault charge.
More Government 101
Clerk has been ordered by federal court to issue marriage licenses to gay couples
It was unclear whether Rowan County, Ky., County Clerk Kim Davis, who says she opposes same-sex marriage on a religious basis, would begin issuing marriage licenses to gay couples when the office opens Tuesday. The U.S. Supreme Court Monday denied her request for an emergency order to continuing denying the licenses while she appeals a court order to do so.
OPINION: Women losing shirts in public has city losing its collective mind
Unorthodox though their wardrobe choices may be, these women are on the right side of the law. More than two decades ago, the state’s highest court ruled that prohibiting women, but not men, from baring their chests in public amounted to discrimination on the basis of sex.
GUEST COLUMN: CRCT and Milestones preficiency scores are not an apples-to-apples comparison
When Georgia students’ profiency scores are released next month, they likely will be lower under the Georgia Milestones assessment than they were under the CRCT standard. That doesn’t mean Georgia students have regressed. Milestones sets the bar for proficiency higher than CRCT did.
EDITORIAL: Kendricks Brothers film is drawing a crowd
The Kendrick Brothers Productions’ first film, “War Room,” seems to be a hit with the vast majority of those who see it — except for the critics.
Pick up a copy of The Albany Herald to see what everyone is squawking about!
Mayoral hopeful Henry Mathis denied civil, political rights restoration
All announced candidates for the Nov. 3 municipal election but one complete qualifying requirements on the first day.
Temperatures, rainfall, and sun and moon information for the Albany area
Temperatures, rainfall, and sun and moon information for the Albany area.
Kendrick film opens in 1,135 theaters, more expected to show it
In the weeks ahead, War Room is set to open in Peru on Sept. 10, Sept. 17 in the Dominican Republic, Sept. 18 in Canada and Paraguay, on Oct. 15 in Colombia and Chile, on Oct. 22 in Argentina and on Nov. 6 in South Africa.
Microneedle flu patches studied at Emory; Nicholls grandfather wins $1 million in lottery; Georgia Prescribed Fire Council to meet in Tifton this month; Driver Services announces holiday closings; South Georgians named to two state boards; Trailer manufacturing opening facility in Georgia.
Victim stated fiancee cut him with a kitchen knife during an altercation
Phyllis Banks, spokeswoman for the APD, said officers responded to 2736 Pradera Court — the site of Meadowlark Commons — in reference to an aggravated assault case at around noon on Saturday.
Medical issues may have contributed to a Sunday evening accident
Capt. Tom Jackson with the DCPD said a witness told the police that the driver, identified as Gregory Charles, took off at a high rate of speed before flipping over. There were no other vehicles or property damage involved, so charges are unlikely to be filed, Jackson said.
Public safety roundup in Albany and Dougherty County for Saturday, Sunday and early Monday
The Albany Police Department responded to at least 70 incidents on Saturday and Sunday, available reports show.
Erika falls apart over weekend
After generating concern over potential wind and rain in Southwest Georgia for the past week, former hurriance Erika will likely have little impact on the area.
Insurance consultant recommends 7 percent cut in county employees' premiums
Dougherty County employees, who got their first pay raise in years starting in July, are also expected to see their insurance premiums cut.
Solution to the Sunday mystery photo
Where was the Sunday mystery photo taken? Find out here.
Southwest Georgia government news from The Albany Herald Newspaper in Albany, Ga. and albanyherald.com
- Municipal candidates get early jump on qualifying
- Dougherty County employees to get insurance rates cut
- Regional IT group, city of Albany consider future
- Leadership Albany welcomes new class | PHOTO GALLERY
- Albany city manager announces employee raises at summit
- MCLB-Albany, LOGCOM hosts Media Day tour | PHOTO GALLERY
- Albany officials differ on use of utility surplus funds | POLL
- Mayor introducing new leaders
- Albany city manager cuts off benefits to two because of ineligibility
- Cutts named Albany downtown manager
- Sometimes a picture says it all ... 3 comments
- Is the city set to kill the multimodal project? 1 comment
- Oh the irony...legislators ban cameras from hearing on 'Open Government' 4 comments
- Commissioner officially gets 'schooled' 1 comment
- City commission meeting moved
- EPA releases interactive polluter map
- Ya'll Come on Back Now, Ya' hear?
- County pondering Gillionville speed limit change
- Commissioners bid adieu to the mayor in their own unique fashion 3 comments
- Prohibition by abstention?