Top Government 101 stories
Municipal Court Judge Willie Weaver posts $10,000 bail in connection with his arrest on a felony domestic assault charge.
More Government 101
Darius Alonzo Myers, 25, is wanted on armed robbery, aggravated assault and battery charges
Authorities say Darius Alonzo Myers, who’s wanted on three charges, frequents places in Albany, Camilla and Leesburg.
Pick up a copy of The Albany Herald to find out about the Bright Side of life.
More than 40 bands are scheduled to play at the Oct. 24-25 Big Pine Music Festival in Albany.
Jimmy Carter is not scheduled to teach Sunday School in Plains on Sunday
Former President Jimmy Carter is not scheduled to teach Sunday School this week at Maranatha Baptist Church in Plains. Carter’s next appearance at the church is scheduled for Aug. 17 at 10 a.m.
FAITH: Few political candidates endorse kindness strategy
Our daily behavior produces monumental, long term results. The choice is between whether by our behavior we want to build a better world or a more hostile place.
The Albany Police Department responded to at least incidents on Wednesday and the early morning hours of Thursday, available reports show.
OPINION: Most Americans believe influx from south is because of economic reasons
Critics will call it a stunt and accuse Texas Gov. Rick Perry of showboating, but at least he is taking action, while President Obama, who took an oath to defend the country from all enemies foreign and domestic, drinks beer, plays pool and attends fundraisers as our borders are overrun
Polite linked to three break-ins after Dougherty County High School ID found
Darius Jamohn Polite was arrested and charged in connection with three Albany area break-ins after officers discovered his Dougherty County High School student ID at one of the crime scenes.
ALBANY HERALD EDITORIAL: A electronic news sources fragment, it leads to erosion of faith in the electoral process
A study of the 2012 presidential election found that those who believed the challenger would win lost faith in government, democracy and the election process when that wishful thinking proved to be a false hope. The researcher says reliance on fragmenting electronic media contributes to the problem.
Power Up Games/CD Xchange hosts live music once a month
Local musicians now have an added way of bringing their tunes to the masses thanks to a new concert series.
Temperatures, rainfall, and sun and moon information for the Albany area
Temperatures, rainfall, and sun and moon information for the Albany area.
Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital and the Hospital Authority of Albany-Dougherty County are appealing the finding
The hearing will focus on whether a state Certificate of Need would be necessary in the event there should be a divestiture ordered involving the ownership or operation of Phoebe North, formerly Palmyra Medical Center.
Seasonal factors contribute to jobless rate increase
The rates increased because of seasonal factors, such as the summer job loss among non-contract school workers and temporary layoffs, primarily in manufacturing. There were 60,500 jobs in Albany in June, down by .5 percent, from 60,800 in May.
Senate hopeful stops into Thronateeska Heritage Center as part of tour
The Perry native said Thursday that exposure to public service has helped her to see the value in it, and that recent tours around Georgia have revealed energy and momentum for change.
Saturday’s event features Charles Williams, June Blackstock and Robert Parker
Reynolds Horton, area sales manager for Dillards, said the event will begin at noon and continue through 5 p.m. Williams is an artist of several genres including photography and oil paintings. Blackstock is a portrait artist and Parker is a photographic artist.
Southwest Georgia government news from The Albany Herald Newspaper in Albany, Ga. and albanyherald.com
- Albany Public Works’ Roberson elevated to assistant city manager
- Darrel Ealum upsets Rep. Carol Fullerton in Georgia House 153 runoff
- Dougherty Commission OKs out-of-county solid waste at landfill
- Albany City Commissioner Tommie Postell a lightning rod for controversy
- Juvenile justice grant funds Functional Family Therapy Program
- Albany City Commission OKs multimodal proposal
- Albany City Manager James Taylor resigns; Tom Berry named interim
- Questions linger as Albany city manager ponders future
- Dougherty County Commission approves board appointments
- Thrush gets preliminary OK for $200,000 from Albany Deal-Closing Fund
- Sometimes a picture says it all ... 3 comments
- Is the city set to kill the multimodal project? 1 comment
- Oh the irony...legislators ban cameras from hearing on 'Open Government' 4 comments
- Commissioner officially gets 'schooled' 1 comment
- City commission meeting moved
- EPA releases interactive polluter map
- Ya'll Come on Back Now, Ya' hear?
- County pondering Gillionville speed limit change
- Commissioners bid adieu to the mayor in their own unique fashion 3 comments
- Prohibition by abstention?