Top Government 101 stories
Municipal Court Judge Willie Weaver posts $10,000 bail in connection with his arrest on a felony domestic assault charge.
More Government 101
OUTDOORS: A baloney sandwich has three essential ingredients, no more, no less
It‘s a mortal sin to disguise the unique, delectable flavor of all those varied ground-up animal parts with anything else. That’s probably in the Bible somewhere, though I can’t say I’ve actually read it yet.
Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital conducts monthly meetings to improve on cardiac care
Ricky Headrick, a Worth County resident who had a heart attack on Oct. 22, was in the cath lab and had the stent in place in about an hour, ahead of the 90-minute goal from entry into an emergency facility to treat a heart attack.
Pick up a copy of The Albany Herald to find out about the Bright Side of life.
OPINION: Former Flordia governor wants to bring joy to political campaign
Jeb Bush, 61, is the tax-cutting, fiscally austere, school-choice promoting, gun-rights protecting, socially conservative, Spanish-speaking former two-term governor of the most important swing state. But for some Republicans, his virtues and achievements are vitiated by his positions on immigration and the Common Core education standards.
OPINION: The Christmas Story is either true or not
The claims made about the birth of Jesus leave no room for middle ground, despite what some theologians claim.
Albany attorney to replace Jeff Sinyard as chair of Dougherty County government
Albany attorney Chris Cohilas says he is prepared to assume chairmanship of the Dougherty County Commission.
With holidays wrapping up, time to 'pay the piper'
The Food Network’s “The Kitchen” is helping people get a “Healthy Fresh Start” in the new year.
Steven Colbert hosts the 37th annual Kennedy Honors
A two-time Oscar winner, one of comedy’s top women, a ballet great and two icons of music. That sort of variety is expected from the Kennedy Center Honors as the yearly event salutes several titans of the performing arts.
Taylor Swift will be the headline performer of the show
“Dick Clark’s New Year’s Rockin’ Eve With Ryan Seacrest 2015” will fill the prime-time schedule for ABC before greeting the new year.
HEALTH & FITNESS: It is the time of year when we declare war on a favorite enemy - fat
As every good warrior knows, the first step in defeating your enemy is to know your enemy.
FEATURES COLUMN: A 2014 pledge to learn to make cornbread goes unfulfilled
My renunciation of learning to make cornbread is regretful. Which brings me to this year’s resolution — I am going to attempt to be smarter. Thus, the reason using the word renunciation. It’s a pretty big word for me. I learned it just this morning.
A weekly calendar of civic club and organization meetings, reunions, volunteering opportunities, classes and seminars, and other notices.
The Albany Area Community Calendar is published Sundays. To have your item included, email email@example.com by 5 p.m. Wednesday before Sunday publication.
OPINION: Retiring oncologist touched thousands of lives during amazing career
Dr. Phillip Roberts carries a legacy of healing and caring into his well-deserved retirement.
Mobile mammography center to travel throughout Southeast through January
Women age 40 and over with no breast concerns, who have not had a mammogram in the last year and have a primary care physician are eligible to participate, officials say. It will be from 9:30 a.m. to 7 p.m. at the Albany Mall Belk at 2601 Dawson Road.
Performances of off-Broadway musical scheduled to start Valentines Day weekend
Theatre Albany is looking to cast two men and two women for roles in the musical “I Love You, You’re Perfect, Now Change.”
Southwest Georgia government news from The Albany Herald Newspaper in Albany, Ga. and albanyherald.com
- Chris Colhilas ready to assume County Commission chairmanship
- Albany Recreation and Parks staff, volunteers honored
- Mitchell County School System turns school bus into mobile classroom
- EDC's Strickland: We have great projects in the pipeline
- Albany City Commission approves first step of incentive plan
- Jeff Sinyard, Jack Stone honored during farewell gathering
- Dougherty County Commission OKs $5,000 reboot of student awareness program
- PART II: Sinyard has been linchpin of local politics
- PART I: Dougherty Commission Chair Jeff Sinyard set to end 30 years of public service
- Marine Corps Logistics Base Albany Youth and Teen Center closing Dec. 23
- Sometimes a picture says it all ... 3 comments
- Is the city set to kill the multimodal project? 1 comment
- Oh the irony...legislators ban cameras from hearing on 'Open Government' 4 comments
- Commissioner officially gets 'schooled' 1 comment
- City commission meeting moved
- EPA releases interactive polluter map
- Ya'll Come on Back Now, Ya' hear?
- County pondering Gillionville speed limit change
- Commissioners bid adieu to the mayor in their own unique fashion 3 comments
- Prohibition by abstention?