Top Government 101 stories
Municipal Court Judge Willie Weaver posts $10,000 bail in connection with his arrest on a felony domestic assault charge.
More Government 101
EDITORIAL: Good news to start the week.
Thumbs Up! is a weekly editorial focusing on the positive news from Albany and Southwest Georgia.
UGA research team checking overlooked group of athletes
Headlines about concussions and their effects on professional and college football players are inescapable. The issue is changing the way people talk about the game.
These establishments were inspected by the Dougherty and Lee County Environmental Health Offices Oct. 6-17.
Pick up a copy of The Albany Herald to find out what everybody’s squawking about.
OPINION: Public opinion on same-sex marriage has changed in the past decade
Michelle Nunn clearly believes that backing gay unions is a winning strategy — even in a Deep South state where the religious right still holds considerable political sway.
OPINION: The CDC chief admits his agency was not aggressive enough regarding Ebola
This latest failure of the federal government, Ebola, is really incredible. Just how incompetent can it get?
These are individuals who were booked into the Dougherty County Jail Oct. 9-15.
The 41st annual Artesian City Car Show draws about 100 entrants
Autos ranging from the 1920s to the 2013 were on display Saturday at the 41st annual Artesian City Car Club Show.
A roundup of education news and events for Metro Albany and Southwest Georgia
Deerfield’s Will Calhoun named Commended Scholar; Worth Elementary seeking food donations; Darton State College plans “One Day of Giving” event.
Task force in place at Albany hospital to ensure patients and staff are safe from Ebola
Ensuring Georgia medical providers, hospitals and the general public are prepared for the possibility of Ebola infection in the state, no matter how remote, is a top priority of Gov. Nathan Deal’s administration, state public health officials have said.
Infertility, costs of using adoption agency persuade couple to seek adoption of a baby through websites and social media
The Albany couple, who have been married for seven years, have been trying to conceive for five years, but have been unable to due to unexplained infertility. About 18 months ago, after their last in-vitro fertilization procedure — using their one remaining embryo — resulted in miscarriage after eight weeks, they began to evaluate themselves as well as the other options available to them.
Brad Pitt film pulls in $23.5 million in U.S. and Canada
“Fury” kicked two-time box office leader “Gone Girl” to second place. The thriller starring Ben Affleck collected $17.8 million from Friday through Sunday, according to data from tracking firm Rentrak.
HEALTH AND FITNESS: Obesity-related diseases and health problems account for 61 percent of U.S. healthcare costs
If obesity rates keep growing, costs associated with obesity will become too large for federal healthcare systems to cover. A reduction in obesity rates across the country would save the government tens of billions of dollars that could be spent on other government programs.
OPINION: Call from former UGA coach Goff ends three decades of enmity
A long-held anti-UGA conceit is wiped away after a conversation with the writer’s unwitting nemesis.
Groups pitch in to help with statewide waterway cleanup program
Volunteers in Lee and Dougherty counties will work together Saturday to clean up along area waterways.
Southwest Georgia government news from The Albany Herald Newspaper in Albany, Ga. and albanyherald.com
- Aviation Commission sets new long-, short-term parking fees
- APD Chief: Albany crime at 10-year low
- Dougherty County Commission considers anti-pipeline resolution
- Dougherty County Commission updated on Ebola virus
- Albany utilities officials ready to move on rural technology plan
- Developer, ADICA to meet on Albany Heights residential proposal
- Gov. Nathan Deal temporarily suspends campaign to mourn death of GOP staffer
- Michelle Nunn promotes literacy during reading event at Martin Luther King Elementary
- Lee County Fire Department getting new pumper for Century station | VIDEO
- Dougherty County Commission to vote on funding for underpass improvement
- Sometimes a picture says it all ... 3 comments
- Is the city set to kill the multimodal project? 1 comment
- Oh the irony...legislators ban cameras from hearing on 'Open Government' 4 comments
- Commissioner officially gets 'schooled' 1 comment
- City commission meeting moved
- EPA releases interactive polluter map
- Ya'll Come on Back Now, Ya' hear?
- County pondering Gillionville speed limit change
- Commissioners bid adieu to the mayor in their own unique fashion 3 comments
- Prohibition by abstention?