Top Government 101 stories
Municipal Court Judge Willie Weaver posts $10,000 bail in connection with his arrest on a felony domestic assault charge.
More Government 101
School superintendent teacher will be fired
Dougherty County School Superintendent David Mosely says accused teacher will be fired.
Development would include new Wal-Mart grocery concept, fueling station
The Albany City Commission paves the way for a new Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market near the corner of Westover Boulevard and Gillionville Road.
OPINION: Republics need a new strategy with 2016 on the horizon
The GOP’s strategy of alienating women and minorities doesn’t play well in presidential politics.
The unexpected loss of $2.6 in equalization funding complicates adding instruction days and eliminating furloughs
Elimination of four furlough days for Dougherty County School System staff would cost $2 million.
Cop jailed in Sylvester
A longtime Sylvester law enforcement officer is arrested on charges of evidence tampering and making false statements.
Trojan Warrior Challenge fitness fundraiser will benefit Lee County Special Olympics
Lee County Special Olympics will be getting a boost this weekend when area athletes gather for the Trojan Warrior Challenge fitness fundraiser.
The following is a list of events happening in the area this week.
Temperatures, rainfall, and sun and moon information for the Albany area
Temperatures, rainfall, and sun and moon information for the Albany area.
The county’s Teacher of the Year will be announced at a banquet Thursday
Sandra Masters is one of eight finalists for Dougherty County Teacher of the Year.
The event was held last week at Darton State College
Ten Deerfield students place in foreign language competition.
Albany-Dougherty Economic Development Commission's second video highlights manufacturing
The Albany-Dougherty EDC promotional video focusing on Albany industry and manufacturers is released during the week that the EDC observes Industry Celebration week.
The newspapers win for public service for reporting on the NSA secret surveillance scandal
Reuters wins in international reporting for its coverage of the violent persecution of a Muslim minority in Myanmar who in efforts to flee often fall into the hands of brutal human-trafficking networks.
OPINION: Voluntary service is something that should cross political divides
AmeriCorps gives mostly young Americans a chance to spend a year helping communities and those in need while also nurturing thousands of organizations across the country. Senior Corps provides Americans over 55 a chance to serve, too.
OPINION: Stephen Colbert will take over The Late Show from David Letterman in 2015
By selecting Stephen Colbert as its marquee late-night talk host, CBS is not taking a swipe at the heartland of America, but bringing to the interview desk a comedian with a sharp wit who won’t be playing his “The Colbert Report” character.
OPINION: Americans spend more on taxes than their food, clothing and housing combined
It takes about a third of Americans’ income to satisfy their collective tax bill, which doesn’t cover repaying the money that the federal government borrows each year.
Southwest Georgia government news from The Albany Herald Newspaper in Albany, Ga. and albanyherald.com
- Albany Sign Task Force readies recommendations for Planning Commission
- They Said It… April 13, 2014
- Lee County Commission mulls rezoning for concrete plant
- Albany City Commissioner B.J. Fletcher: Tax owners of dilapidated properties
- Officials ponder SPLOST reallocation to improve county fire rating
- The Big 10 - March 21-28, 2014
- Leadership Lee grads hear from existing leaders (Video)
- Lack of funds hampers fire improvements in Lee County
- Albany/Dougherty Planning Director: Addressing could be matter of life or death
- Planned Regional Youth Detention Center in Terrell County gets state funding
- Sometimes a picture says it all ... 3 comments
- Is the city set to kill the multimodal project? 1 comment
- Oh the irony...legislators ban cameras from hearing on 'Open Government' 4 comments
- Commissioner officially gets 'schooled' 1 comment
- City commission meeting moved
- EPA releases interactive polluter map
- Ya'll Come on Back Now, Ya' hear?
- County pondering Gillionville speed limit change
- Commissioners bid adieu to the mayor in their own unique fashion 3 comments
- Prohibition by abstention?