The new law will enhance the quality of services provided by the Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Disabilities
Deal signs new law, talks about Port of Savannah Project and an attack by GOP gubernatorial challenger David Pennington
The Georgia senior senator will leave Congress in January after 20 years at Capitol Hill
Sen. Saxby Chambliss says he’s looking forward to spending more time with family and exploring post-Senate options, but first he has some work to finish in Congress.
Two seats available on the Lee County Board of Education
The candidates were unable to qualify Monday because a notary public was not available at the GOP site
With a vote of 171-4, a proposal to allow for the use of medical marijuana in Georgia passes the state House of Representatives.
Two Baker County women contend the chair of the School Board is ineligible to hold the office
Last year, a Superior Court judge denied an attempt by Nettie Lilly and Janet Anderson to have Baker County School Board Chair Sharon Heard removed from office. The case will be heard Monday in oral arguments before the Georgia Supreme Court.
Path to citizenship will have rocky road in the House, Rep. Jack Kingston says
Rep. Jack Kingston said jobs and the overreach of government are the top things on the minds of people he meets on the Senate campaign rail.
Southwest Georgia congressional delegation mixed on reactions to State of the Union address (VIDEOS)
Republicans are critical of President Obama for what they see as job-killing policies
U.S. Rep. Sanford Bishop has a positive reaction to the president’s speech, while U.S. Rep. Austin Scott is critical, as are Georgia’s two U.S. senators.
Dougherty County Commission chair will give up office at end of the year
Dougherty County Commission Chair Jeff Sinyard says he will not seek re-election this year.
Savannah Repblican says he never intended to get rid of congressional franking.
The event set for Feb. 27 at The Bindery at Oakland Library
The event is planned for 6 p.m. on Feb. 27 at The Bindery at Oakland Library, which is located at 445 Oakland Parkway just off U.S. 82 West in Lee County.
The long-time U.S. representative from the 2nd District says he is cancer-free
Rep. sanford Bishop, D-Albany, says he will remain bald for an indefinite time as a show of solidarity with fellow cancer survivors.
Hospital CEO, congressmen named in latest edition of Georgia Trend
Joel Wernick, president and CEO of Phoebe Putney Health System, has made the list now for eight consecutive years.
News from around Georgia
Republicans plan seven debates for Senate candidates, with first in Adel.
School officials will discuss Dougherty School District's legislative priorities with lawmakers
Dougherty School System officials see increasing insurance costs as an important issue that could adversely affect the district’s budget.
The daughter of former Sen. Sam Nunn is seeking the Senate seat being vacated by Saxby Chambliss
Michelle Nunn says her experience in helping businesses and creating jobs qualifies her for the U.S. Senate.
- Gov. Nathan Deal signs SB 349 into law at the Southwest Georgia Regional Airport (Video)
- U.S. options limited on Crimea, U.S. Sen. Saxby Chambliss says (Video)
- Southwest Georgia congressional delegation mixed on reactions to State of the Union address (VIDEOS)
- Georgia lawmakers drop ‘campus carry’ effort
- U.S. Rep. Jack Kingston rebuts perk claim
- Dougherty County School Board to meet with Albany area legislators
- U.S. Senate candidate Michelle Nunn visits Albany Technical College
- Worth Solicitor-General Bryce Johnson to run for Senate District 13
- Sen. John Crosby to retire from Georgia Legislature
- Rynders 'optimistic' funding for a new fine arts center at Albany State will be in the state budget
Southwest Georgia government news from The Albany Herald Newspaper in Albany, Ga. and albanyherald.com
- Southwest Georgia Regional Airport wins national training award
- Albany Sign Task Force readies recommendations for Planning Commission
- They Said It… April 13, 2014
- Lee County Commission mulls rezoning for concrete plant
- Albany City Commissioner B.J. Fletcher: Tax owners of dilapidated properties
- Officials ponder SPLOST reallocation to improve county fire rating
- The Big 10 - March 21-28, 2014
- Leadership Lee grads hear from existing leaders (Video)
- Lack of funds hampers fire improvements in Lee County
- Albany/Dougherty Planning Director: Addressing could be matter of life or death
Albany and Southwest Georgia Education News
- Deerfield-Windsor students to present 'Shrek the Musical'
- Darton State College Nursing Program gains additional accreditation
- U.S. Supreme Court divided on rationale for rejecting challenge to Michigan law against racial preferences at universities
- Albany Technical College plants a live oak in celebration of Arbor Day
- Doughtery Schools show CCRPI improvement
- Albany State University Briefs - April 19, 2014
- Dougherty County School System Notebook
- Metro Albany Briefs - April 16, 2014
- Elimination of Dougherty County school staff furlough days still on agenda
- Dougherty County Teacher of the Year finalist Sandra Masters says each child is unique (Video)
- Is the city set to kill the multimodal project? 1 comment
- Commissioners bid adieu to the mayor in their own unique fashion 3 comments
- Prohibition by abstention?
- Now the fun begins 2 comments