Two seats available on the Lee County Board of Education
The candidates were unable to qualify Monday because a notary public was not available at the GOP site
With a vote of 171-4, a proposal to allow for the use of medical marijuana in Georgia passes the state House of Representatives.
Two Baker County women contend the chair of the School Board is ineligible to hold the office
Last year, a Superior Court judge denied an attempt by Nettie Lilly and Janet Anderson to have Baker County School Board Chair Sharon Heard removed from office. The case will be heard Monday in oral arguments before the Georgia Supreme Court.
Path to citizenship will have rocky road in the House, Rep. Jack Kingston says
Rep. Jack Kingston said jobs and the overreach of government are the top things on the minds of people he meets on the Senate campaign rail.
Southwest Georgia congressional delegation mixed on reactions to State of the Union address (VIDEOS)
Republicans are critical of President Obama for what they see as job-killing policies
U.S. Rep. Sanford Bishop has a positive reaction to the president’s speech, while U.S. Rep. Austin Scott is critical, as are Georgia’s two U.S. senators.
Dougherty County Commission chair will give up office at end of the year
Dougherty County Commission Chair Jeff Sinyard says he will not seek re-election this year.
Savannah Repblican says he never intended to get rid of congressional franking.
The event set for Feb. 27 at The Bindery at Oakland Library
The event is planned for 6 p.m. on Feb. 27 at The Bindery at Oakland Library, which is located at 445 Oakland Parkway just off U.S. 82 West in Lee County.
The long-time U.S. representative from the 2nd District says he is cancer-free
Rep. sanford Bishop, D-Albany, says he will remain bald for an indefinite time as a show of solidarity with fellow cancer survivors.
Hospital CEO, congressmen named in latest edition of Georgia Trend
Joel Wernick, president and CEO of Phoebe Putney Health System, has made the list now for eight consecutive years.
News from around Georgia
Republicans plan seven debates for Senate candidates, with first in Adel.
School officials will discuss Dougherty School District's legislative priorities with lawmakers
Dougherty School System officials see increasing insurance costs as an important issue that could adversely affect the district’s budget.
The daughter of former Sen. Sam Nunn is seeking the Senate seat being vacated by Saxby Chambliss
Michelle Nunn says her experience in helping businesses and creating jobs qualifies her for the U.S. Senate.
Twenty-six voters cast early ballots in Albany City Commission runoff
Incumbent Ivey Hines and challenger Bobby Coleman will find out their political fate today in an Albany City Commission runoff election.
Challenger in Ward II Albany City Commission race trailed by 21 votes
Challenger Bobby Coleman will face incumbent Ivey Hines in an Albany City Commission runoff Dec. 3.
- Southwest Georgia congressional delegation mixed on reactions to State of the Union address (VIDEOS)
- Georgia lawmakers drop ‘campus carry’ effort
- U.S. Rep. Jack Kingston rebuts perk claim
- Dougherty County School Board to meet with Albany area legislators
- U.S. Senate candidate Michelle Nunn visits Albany Technical College
- Worth Solicitor-General Bryce Johnson to run for Senate District 13
- Sen. John Crosby to retire from Georgia Legislature
- Rynders 'optimistic' funding for a new fine arts center at Albany State will be in the state budget
- Flint River makes the Georgia Water Coalition Dirty Dozen list again
- Carter, Nunn largely untested but give Democrats hope
Southwest Georgia government news from The Albany Herald Newspaper in Albany, Ga. and albanyherald.com
- Dog dispute in Lee County heads to Superior Court
- City of Albany’s Fiscal Year 2013 audit report a good-news, bad-news mix
- Medical marijuana bill passes Georgia House
- Dougherty County police, fire studies show limited viable options
- Albany City Commission decides to table pit bulldog ordinance
- Albany City Commission must tackle a number of key issues in 2014
- Jeff Sinyard: Coming changes cannot detract from County Commission's focus
- Dougherty County community tennis center part of mega sports park plan
- Auction of four city of Albany properties brings in $566,000, pending commission approval
- Task force convenes to discuss Albany sign ordinance
Albany and Southwest Georgia Education News
- T. Marshall Jones to be roasted for Albany Tech Foundation fundraiser
- ASU sorority promotes the making of good choices by youths
- Dougherty County School System Education Notebook
- Dougherty County School System Notebook
- Girl Talk's Project Inside Out coming to Albany
- Rotary and Lee County Schools help Liberian students
- Dougherty County’s STAR Student, Teacher are named
- Changes on the horizon at Darton
- Butch Mosely recognizes three of the Dougherty County School System's best teachers
- Aaron Johnson announces run for Dougherty County School Board seat
- Is the city set to kill the multimodal project? 1 comment
- Commissioners bid adieu to the mayor in their own unique fashion 3 comments
- Prohibition by abstention?
- Now the fun begins 2 comments