Albany meeting to recap proposed Georgia bills
City Commissioner Jon Howard says the meeting begins at 10 a.m. and is expected to last about 90 minutes.
Georgia junior senator says he is against nomination of Loretta Lynch
U.S. Sen. David Perdue, R-Ga., says he does not believe attorney general nominee Loretta Lynch will act independently of the Obama administration or place first upholding the Constitution.
Legislation would address equal access to voting dates
Legislation co-sponsored by House District 152 Rep. Ed Rynders, R-Leesburg, would make early voting across the state uniform.
Here is how Georgia’s congressional delegation voted during the period of Jan. 16-22.
The cable TV network History opens a three-night, six-hour miniseries on the SOns of Liberty who launched the American Revolution.
Republican lawmakers at odds with direction while Democratic legislator is mostly supportive of president
Georgia’s senators and U.S. Rep. Austin Scott find mostly negatives in President Obama’s State of the Union address while U.S. Rep. Sanford Bishop says that even though he is supportive of most of the president’s initiatives, he has different views than the White House on issues such as the Keystone pipeline and EPA authority expansion.
With transportation facing a $1.5 billion shortfall, sales, gas tax hikes are possibilities
The state legislative session could be lively as lawmakers jockey on spending priorities.
Here's how Georgia's congressional delegation voted last week.
Former Albany City Commissioner expects to have civil, political rights restored
Despite a recent denial by the State Board of Pardons and Parole, Henry Mathis says he will have his civil rights restored in time to run for mayor.
Saxby Chambliss plans to practice law in metro Atlanta
Chambliss and his wife, Julianne, will be relocating from Moultrie to Atlanta where he will joining an as yet to be named law firm
Here is how Georgia’s congressional delegation voted for the seven ending Dec. 18.
Long-time public servants end careers that span more than 58 years
Friends and colleagues recognize long-time Dougherty County officials Jeff Sinyard and Jack Stone as they end their political careers.
Albany and Dougherty County government, school, post-secondary and economic leaders meet with state delegation
Leaders of Albany and Dougherty government bodies, education systems and agencies present their legislative agendas to state officials.
Roll call votes for U.S. lawmakers from Georgia
Here is how Georgia’s delegations to the House and Senate voted on roll-call issues from Nov. 14 to Nov. 20.
Here’s how the Georgia congressional delegation voted on major issues in the week that ended Thursday.
- Capitol Votes -- Jan. 16-22, 2015
- Founding Fathers got started as Sons of Liberty
- Southwest Georgia congressional delegation reacts to State of the Union speech
- Capitol Votes by Georgia delegation -- week ending Jan. 8, 2015
- Capitol Votes: Nov. 14-20, 2014
- Ga. lawmakers press forward on medical marijuana
- Capitol Votes week ending Nov. 13, 2014 (UPDATED WITH FRIDAY KEYSTONE VOTES)
- Republicans win big in Georgia congressional, state officer elections
- Education funding, criminal justice reform focuses of Gov. Nathan Deal in second term
- David Perdue's anti-Obama strategy pays off with win
Southwest Georgia government news from The Albany Herald Newspaper in Albany, Ga. and albanyherald.com
- Worth County Clerk fired in split vote
- Three convicted of bribery, fraud in Albany Marine base trucking contracts | VIDEO
- Robert Cross Park meeting house product of county leaders' vision
- Dougherty County commissioners asked to join in ethics fight
- Changes under way at Grand Island Golf Club in Lee County
- Utility initiatives adding to Albany's bottom line
- Hugh Mills Stadium upgrade to include artificial turf
- Dougherty County commissioners to take closer look at drug fund usage
- Dougherty County Commission to consider greenspace master plan
- Albany and Dougherty County Police/Fire/EMS reports: Feb. 21-23, 2015
Albany and Southwest Georgia Education News
- Albany State University announces four senior staff changes
- Read Across Georgia Month makes its annual appearance
- Deerfield-Windsor's Steven Feng is named Dougherty County's Star Student for 2015
- Dougherty County School System announces Teacher of the Year candidates
- Dougherty County School Board approves 2 percent raise for staff
- Albany City Commission OKs child care facility ordinance
- Flint River inspires Steven Landis' concerto 'Thronateeska'
- Albany's combined high school choruses strike a high note at Shiloh Missionary Baptist Church | VIDEO
- Albany-Southwest Georgia Education Notebook - Feb. 23, 2015
- Combined choruses of six Albany high schools to perform in black history concert
- Is the city set to kill the multimodal project? 1 comment
- Commissioners bid adieu to the mayor in their own unique fashion 3 comments
- Prohibition by abstention?
- Now the fun begins 2 comments