Strother and Aaron Johnson will face off in the May 20 Democratic primary
School board chair Carol Tharin throws her weight behind Melissa Strother in Dictrict 4
Billy Mathis, who is returning to the Lee County Commission, says all taxpayers should be treated equally
When Billy Mathis stepped down from the Lee County Commission in 2006, he thought he was done with local political office. With his children grown, he’s returning to the commission, saying it’s a chance to “give back to the community.”
Mike Sabot says the Lee County Commission faces tough financial issues
Mike Sabot and incumbent Dennis Roland face off in the May 20 GOP primary for the District 1 seat on the Lee County Commission.
Karen Handel says she would work to repeal Obamacare, cut spending, implement a Fair Tax and cut red tape
Karen Handel is one of several candidate vying for the GOP senatorial nomination in the May 20 primary elections.
Dennis Roland is seeking a new term on the Lee County Commission
Lee County Commissioner Dennis Roland says the needs of the more rural northern segment of the county are different from those of the more heavily populated southern part.
Sumter EMC executive says the motivation to seek office is his three children in the Lee School System
David Brokamp, who has three children in the Lee County School System, is seeking the District 1 seat on the School Board in a nonpartisan election May 20.
The new law will enhance the quality of services provided by the Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Disabilities
Deal signs new law, talks about Port of Savannah Project and an attack by GOP gubernatorial challenger David Pennington
The Georgia senior senator will leave Congress in January after 20 years at Capitol Hill
Sen. Saxby Chambliss says he’s looking forward to spending more time with family and exploring post-Senate options, but first he has some work to finish in Congress.
Two seats available on the Lee County Board of Education
The candidates were unable to qualify Monday because a notary public was not available at the GOP site
With a vote of 171-4, a proposal to allow for the use of medical marijuana in Georgia passes the state House of Representatives.
Two Baker County women contend the chair of the School Board is ineligible to hold the office
Last year, a Superior Court judge denied an attempt by Nettie Lilly and Janet Anderson to have Baker County School Board Chair Sharon Heard removed from office. The case will be heard Monday in oral arguments before the Georgia Supreme Court.
Path to citizenship will have rocky road in the House, Rep. Jack Kingston says
Rep. Jack Kingston said jobs and the overreach of government are the top things on the minds of people he meets on the Senate campaign rail.
Southwest Georgia congressional delegation mixed on reactions to State of the Union address (VIDEOS)
Republicans are critical of President Obama for what they see as job-killing policies
U.S. Rep. Sanford Bishop has a positive reaction to the president’s speech, while U.S. Rep. Austin Scott is critical, as are Georgia’s two U.S. senators.
Dougherty County Commission chair will give up office at end of the year
Dougherty County Commission Chair Jeff Sinyard says he will not seek re-election this year.
Savannah Repblican says he never intended to get rid of congressional franking.
- U.S. Rep. Jack Kingston touts energy independence in Senate campaign visit
- U.S. Senate candidates make last pitches to area voters
- GOP Senate candidates avoid Sen. Saxby Chambliss' fiscal path in debate
- ACA likely to dominate race for insurance post
- Albany Area Chamber honors local legislators
- Senate candidate Karen Handel promotes her 4-point plan
- Gov. Nathan Deal signs SB 349 into law at the Southwest Georgia Regional Airport (Video)
- U.S. options limited on Crimea, U.S. Sen. Saxby Chambliss says (Video)
- Southwest Georgia congressional delegation mixed on reactions to State of the Union address (VIDEOS)
- Georgia lawmakers drop ‘campus carry’ effort
Southwest Georgia government news from The Albany Herald Newspaper in Albany, Ga. and albanyherald.com
- Dougherty County commissioners discuss concerns about local-level business participation in projects
- Lee County must tackle SPLOST shortfall issue
- Albany Public Works' Roberson elevated to assistant city manager
- Darrel Ealum upsets Rep. Carol Fullerton in Georgia House 153 runoff
- Dougherty Commission OKs out-of-county solid waste at landfill
- Albany City Commissioner Tommie Postell a lightning rod for controversy
- Juvenile justice grant funds Functional Family Therapy Program
- Albany City Commission OKs multimodal proposal
- Albany City Manager James Taylor resigns; Tom Berry named interim
- Questions linger as Albany city manager ponders future
Albany and Southwest Georgia Education News
- Georgia, Dougherty County schools face new student assessment testing
- Plains hosting field day on Aug. 20
- Sherwood Christian Academy breaks ground on school expansion, merger project | VIDEO
- Georgia back-to-school sales tax-free weekend starts Friday
- Open houses for Dougherty County schools are Thursday
- Albany-Dougherty NAACP to give school supplies to 50 students
- ASU grad Scott Craft one of 100 to attend Harvard Leadership Institute
- Andrew College President David Seyle announces retirement
- Deerfield-Windsor awarded $50,000 grant from Edward E. Ford Foundation
- Brian Dougherty named Sherwood Christian Academy's new headmaster
- Is the city set to kill the multimodal project? 1 comment
- Commissioners bid adieu to the mayor in their own unique fashion 3 comments
- Prohibition by abstention?
- Now the fun begins 2 comments