The daughter of former Sen. Sam Nunn is seeking the Senate seat being vacated by Saxby Chambliss
Michelle Nunn says her experience in helping businesses and creating jobs qualifies her for the U.S. Senate.
Twenty-six voters cast early ballots in Albany City Commission runoff
Incumbent Ivey Hines and challenger Bobby Coleman will find out their political fate today in an Albany City Commission runoff election.
Challenger in Ward II Albany City Commission race trailed by 21 votes
Challenger Bobby Coleman will face incumbent Ivey Hines in an Albany City Commission runoff Dec. 3.
Ivey Hines was top vote-getter in Nov. 5 Ward II contest
Ward II voters will return to the polls Dec. 3 to detrmine who will represent them on the Albany City Commission.
Bryce Johnson declares his candidacy for Georgia Denate District 13
Worth County native Bryce Johnson announces in Tifton that he is running to succeed retiring state Sen. John Crosby.
The seat is being vacated by Sen. John Crosby when his term ends next year
Georgia Senate District 13 includes Worth and Lee counties.
Following the recent death of his daughter, Sen. John Crosby says he will focus on home and his grandchildren
John Crosby, of Tifton, has represented District 13, which includes Lee and Worth counties, in the Georgia Senate since 2008 and will not seek re-election next year.
Two Georgia Democrats are hoping to carry on their families' political legacies
The big-name candidacies mean the lesser-known rivals will struggle even more for attention and funds.
Sylvester Mayor Bill Yearta easily wins re-electyion
Ward 4 Councilman Larry Johnson defeats two opponents for new Sylvester City Council term.
Newton voters re-elect Mayor Gary Coker to new term
Newton voters approve Sunday alcohol sales 66-65.
Fletcher’s Ward III coalition carries her to a lopsided victory
A Dec. 3 muncipal runoff election will include Albany City Commissioner Ivey Hines and challenger Bobby Coleman to determine the Ward II winner.
Six candidates are competing for two Albany City Commission seats
Some 11,801 voters in Wards II and III are eligible to go to the polls to determine who will represent their interests on the Albany City Commission.
Albany, Dougherty County have separate agreements on 26 shared services
A list of 26 shared services that make up a city/county service delivery strategy that prevents duplication may be the next big debate between Albany and Dougherty County officials.
Two Albany City Commission seats will be decided by voters Tuesday
Election night is a numbers game for six candidates hoping to win a seat on the Albany City Commission.
Early voting totals low for Nov. 5 municipal election
Almost 12,000 voters are eligible to cast ballots in Tuesday’s municipal election, which will determine the Ward II and Ward III Albany City Commission seats.
- Gov. Nathan Deal signs SB 349 into law at the Southwest Georgia Regional Airport (Video)
- U.S. options limited on Crimea, U.S. Sen. Saxby Chambliss says (Video)
- Southwest Georgia congressional delegation mixed on reactions to State of the Union address (VIDEOS)
- Georgia lawmakers drop ‘campus carry’ effort
- U.S. Rep. Jack Kingston rebuts perk claim
- Dougherty County School Board to meet with Albany area legislators
- U.S. Senate candidate Michelle Nunn visits Albany Technical College
- Worth Solicitor-General Bryce Johnson to run for Senate District 13
- Sen. John Crosby to retire from Georgia Legislature
- Rynders 'optimistic' funding for a new fine arts center at Albany State will be in the state budget
Southwest Georgia government news from The Albany Herald Newspaper in Albany, Ga. and albanyherald.com
- Southwest Georgia Regional Airport wins national training award
- Albany Sign Task Force readies recommendations for Planning Commission
- They Said It… April 13, 2014
- Lee County Commission mulls rezoning for concrete plant
- Albany City Commissioner B.J. Fletcher: Tax owners of dilapidated properties
- Officials ponder SPLOST reallocation to improve county fire rating
- The Big 10 - March 21-28, 2014
- Leadership Lee grads hear from existing leaders (Video)
- Lack of funds hampers fire improvements in Lee County
- Albany/Dougherty Planning Director: Addressing could be matter of life or death
Albany and Southwest Georgia Education News
- Dougherty County School Board approves $1.4 million for new textbooks
- Deerfield-Windsor students to present 'Shrek the Musical'
- Darton State College Nursing Program gains additional accreditation
- U.S. Supreme Court divided on rationale for rejecting challenge to Michigan law against racial preferences at universities
- Albany Technical College plants a live oak in celebration of Arbor Day
- Doughtery Schools show CCRPI improvement
- Albany State University Briefs - April 19, 2014
- Dougherty County School System Notebook
- Metro Albany Briefs - April 16, 2014
- Elimination of Dougherty County school staff furlough days still on agenda
- Is the city set to kill the multimodal project? 1 comment
- Commissioners bid adieu to the mayor in their own unique fashion 3 comments
- Prohibition by abstention?
- Now the fun begins 2 comments