Georgia Attorney General Sam Olens warns Lee County students about prescription drug abuse dangers | VIDEO
Sam Olens tells the student assembly that there were more than 700 prescription drug deaths in state in 2013
Nathan Deal speaks with Albany supporters
Gov. Nathan Deal touches on the highlights of his term of office.
Democratic U.S. Senate candidate vying against Republican David Perdue and Libertarian Amanda Swafford for Saxby Chambliss’ seat.
Michelle Nunn makes morning appearance at Pearly’s Restaurant.
Improvement may not be enough to lower insurance premiums
If the rating had gone from a 6 to a 4, Rabun said it would have been almost a certainly that owners of residential and business property in the county would have reaped lower insurance bills.
GAE President Sid Chapman said Gerald Green's background in education played a major role in endorsement
Georgia Association of Educators gives nod to Gerald Greene in House 151 contest.
Gerald Greene, who has been in the State House since 1983, is facing a challenge from Democrat Ezekiel Holley.
House Speaker David Ralston was in Albany Monday to throw his support behind Gerald Greene’s bid for re-election
Dougherty voters wait patiently to cast ballots in historic Sunday vote
A long line of voters waited patiently Sunday at the downtown Riverfront Resource Center to cast votes in advance of the Nov. 4 general election.
Mack Burgess, 25, who died in an auto accident Tuesday, was the son of Albany musician Banks Burgess
Gov. Nathan Deal has temporarily suspended his campaign to lourn the death of campaign staffer Mack Burgess, whose father resides in Albany.
Dougherty County Elections Board reverses earlier decision against Sunday voting
Dougherty County voters will be able go to the polls 1 p.m.-5 p.m. Oct. 26 for advance voting.
Candidates will explain platforms at Albany town hall meeting
Residents may meet political candidates at Saturday’s town hall meeting in east Albany.
Election season throughout Georgia is well under way
Many Dougherty County voters took advantage of the Columbus Day holiday to cast their ballots in several federal, state and local elections as early voting opened throughout Georgia Monday.
Sunday’s debate between state school superintendent candidates Richard L. Woods and Valarie Wilson touched on all of the typical topics: high-stakes testing, the national set of academic standards known as Common Core and state funding for school districts, but Woods also tossed out an idea that would fundamentally change what Georgia students need to do to get a high school diploma.
District 4 County Commission seat contested during Nov. 4 general election
Incumbent Republican Ewell Lyle faces the challenge of Democrat Patrick Garner for the District 4 Dougherty County Commission seat.
Darton College professor nearing end of drawn-out political campaign
Democrat Patrick Garner is challenging incumbent Republican Ewell Lyle for the District 4 Dougherty County Commission seat.
Hecht presents plan to end child abuse on Dougherty County Judicial Building steps
On the steps of the Dougherty County Judicial Building earlier this week, Hecht said Georgia is in the middle of a “child-safety crisis” with the state’s children dying at an alarming rate even when they have contact with state and local authorities.
- Rep. Ed Rynders reappointed to OneGeorgia Overview Commission
- Capitol Votes: Georgia delegation for week ending March 5, 2015
- Capitol Votes -- Jan. 16-22, 2015
- Founding Fathers got started as Sons of Liberty
- Southwest Georgia congressional delegation reacts to State of the Union speech
- Capitol Votes by Georgia delegation -- week ending Jan. 8, 2015
- Capitol Votes: Nov. 14-20, 2014
- Ga. lawmakers press forward on medical marijuana
- Capitol Votes week ending Nov. 13, 2014 (UPDATED WITH FRIDAY KEYSTONE VOTES)
- Republicans win big in Georgia congressional, state officer elections
Southwest Georgia government news from The Albany Herald Newspaper in Albany, Ga. and albanyherald.com
- Veteran: 2014 law hasn't cured health care access problems
- Lee County Clerk Christi Dockery named 2015 County Clerk of the year
- Chris Cohilas committed to One Albany initiative
- Albanians out in force to Stash the Trash
- Albany names city manager finalists
- Dougherty County Commission settles 2000 property dispute
- Transportation Director David Hamilton to maintain Albany Transit, airport posts
- Albany City Commission says yes to Rails to Trails purchase
- Dorothy Hubbard, Jon Howard, Roger Marietta to seek re-election
- Report: Georgia lags in public health spending
Albany and Southwest Georgia Education News
- Albany Area Education Briefs
- Albany Briefs - April 26, 2015
- University of Alabama honors Albany State President Art Dunning, who helped break color barrier on football team
- Albany Relay for Life raises funds to fight cancer | PHOTO GALLERY
- Student, alum react to Flags Over VSU rally Friday near Valdosta State University
- Darton State College Foundation holds its annual gala
- Valdosta State University cancels Friday classes, operations
- Georgia Southern mourns students killed in crash
- Butch Mosely: School system won't get involved in Opportunity School referendum politics
- Leesburg woman among 5 Georgia Southern students killed in crash
- Is the city set to kill the multimodal project? 1 comment
- Commissioners bid adieu to the mayor in their own unique fashion 3 comments
- Prohibition by abstention?
- Now the fun begins 2 comments