Two seats available on the Lee County Board of Education
The candidates were unable to qualify Monday because a notary public was not available at the GOP site
With a vote of 171-4, a proposal to allow for the use of medical marijuana in Georgia passes the state House of Representatives.
Two Baker County women contend the chair of the School Board is ineligible to hold the office
Last year, a Superior Court judge denied an attempt by Nettie Lilly and Janet Anderson to have Baker County School Board Chair Sharon Heard removed from office. The case will be heard Monday in oral arguments before the Georgia Supreme Court.
Path to citizenship will have rocky road in the House, Rep. Jack Kingston says
Rep. Jack Kingston said jobs and the overreach of government are the top things on the minds of people he meets on the Senate campaign rail.
Southwest Georgia congressional delegation mixed on reactions to State of the Union address (VIDEOS)
Republicans are critical of President Obama for what they see as job-killing policies
U.S. Rep. Sanford Bishop has a positive reaction to the president’s speech, while U.S. Rep. Austin Scott is critical, as are Georgia’s two U.S. senators.
Dougherty County Commission chair will give up office at end of the year
Dougherty County Commission Chair Jeff Sinyard says he will not seek re-election this year.
Savannah Repblican says he never intended to get rid of congressional franking.
The event set for Feb. 27 at The Bindery at Oakland Library
The event is planned for 6 p.m. on Feb. 27 at The Bindery at Oakland Library, which is located at 445 Oakland Parkway just off U.S. 82 West in Lee County.
The long-time U.S. representative from the 2nd District says he is cancer-free
Rep. sanford Bishop, D-Albany, says he will remain bald for an indefinite time as a show of solidarity with fellow cancer survivors.
Hospital CEO, congressmen named in latest edition of Georgia Trend
Joel Wernick, president and CEO of Phoebe Putney Health System, has made the list now for eight consecutive years.
News from around Georgia
Republicans plan seven debates for Senate candidates, with first in Adel.
School officials will discuss Dougherty School District's legislative priorities with lawmakers
Dougherty School System officials see increasing insurance costs as an important issue that could adversely affect the district’s budget.
The daughter of former Sen. Sam Nunn is seeking the Senate seat being vacated by Saxby Chambliss
Michelle Nunn says her experience in helping businesses and creating jobs qualifies her for the U.S. Senate.
Twenty-six voters cast early ballots in Albany City Commission runoff
Incumbent Ivey Hines and challenger Bobby Coleman will find out their political fate today in an Albany City Commission runoff election.
Challenger in Ward II Albany City Commission race trailed by 21 votes
Challenger Bobby Coleman will face incumbent Ivey Hines in an Albany City Commission runoff Dec. 3.
- Secretary of State's Office investigating voter registration fraud in dozen Georgia counties
- Georgia House majority leader visits Albany and Southwest Georgia | VIDEO
- U.S. Senate candidates meet at Georgia Chamber forum
- Michelle Nunn, Sam Nunn visit Albany as part of campaign tour | VIDEO
- U.S. Rep. Jack Kingston touts energy independence in Senate campaign visit
- U.S. Senate candidates make last pitches to area voters
- GOP Senate candidates avoid Sen. Saxby Chambliss' fiscal path in debate
- ACA likely to dominate race for insurance post
- Albany Area Chamber honors local legislators
- Senate candidate Karen Handel promotes her 4-point plan
Southwest Georgia government news from The Albany Herald Newspaper in Albany, Ga. and albanyherald.com
- Non-agenda items parking, take-home cars get Albany city commissioners' attention
- Albany area opposition to natural gas pipeline grows
- Dougherty County Commission approves 2015 employee insurance plan
- Lee County investor makes last ditch effort for apartment complex | VIDEO
- Historic Preservation Commission, city of Albany kick off historic district survey
- Dougherty County mulls insurance plan changes
- The Dougherty County Commission finally approves alcohol license for Albany convenience store
- Albany Mayor Dorothy Hubbard weighs her political future
- FTC rejects proposed agreement with Phoebe Putney Health System, Hospital Authority of Albany-Dougherty County
- Albany, Dougherty County officials pool their efforts on east Albany projects
Albany and Southwest Georgia Education News
- David Mosely, Werhner Washington added to Albany Tech board
- Former HR Director Tracy Williams files suit against the Dougherty County School System
- Dougherty School System Finance Committee approves $16 million in federal budget requests
- State approves Dougherty School System’s FY 15 Race to the Top funding ‘without conditions’
- Dougherty County School System Notebook - Sept. 14, 2014
- Magazine ranks Albany State University No. 15 among U.S. public HBCUs
- Deerfield-Windsor Senior Katie Jack named National Merit semifinalist
- Dougherty County School Board OKs contract to dismantle Mamie Brosnan Elementary School
- Southwest Georgia Briefs - Sept. 7, 2014
- Dougherty County School System Notebook
- Is the city set to kill the multimodal project? 1 comment
- Commissioners bid adieu to the mayor in their own unique fashion 3 comments
- Prohibition by abstention?
- Now the fun begins 2 comments