GAE President Sid Chapman said Gerald Green's background in education played a major role in endorsement
Georgia Association of Educators gives nod to Gerald Greene in House 151 contest.
Gerald Greene, who has been in the State House since 1983, is facing a challenge from Democrat Ezekiel Holley.
House Speaker David Ralston was in Albany Monday to throw his support behind Gerald Greene’s bid for re-election
Dougherty voters wait patiently to cast ballots in historic Sunday vote
A long line of voters waited patiently Sunday at the downtown Riverfront Resource Center to cast votes in advance of the Nov. 4 general election.
Mack Burgess, 25, who died in an auto accident Tuesday, was the son of Albany musician Banks Burgess
Gov. Nathan Deal has temporarily suspended his campaign to lourn the death of campaign staffer Mack Burgess, whose father resides in Albany.
Dougherty County Elections Board reverses earlier decision against Sunday voting
Dougherty County voters will be able go to the polls 1 p.m.-5 p.m. Oct. 26 for advance voting.
Candidates will explain platforms at Albany town hall meeting
Residents may meet political candidates at Saturday’s town hall meeting in east Albany.
Election season throughout Georgia is well under way
Many Dougherty County voters took advantage of the Columbus Day holiday to cast their ballots in several federal, state and local elections as early voting opened throughout Georgia Monday.
Sunday’s debate between state school superintendent candidates Richard L. Woods and Valarie Wilson touched on all of the typical topics: high-stakes testing, the national set of academic standards known as Common Core and state funding for school districts, but Woods also tossed out an idea that would fundamentally change what Georgia students need to do to get a high school diploma.
District 4 County Commission seat contested during Nov. 4 general election
Incumbent Republican Ewell Lyle faces the challenge of Democrat Patrick Garner for the District 4 Dougherty County Commission seat.
Darton College professor nearing end of drawn-out political campaign
Democrat Patrick Garner is challenging incumbent Republican Ewell Lyle for the District 4 Dougherty County Commission seat.
Hecht presents plan to end child abuse on Dougherty County Judicial Building steps
On the steps of the Dougherty County Judicial Building earlier this week, Hecht said Georgia is in the middle of a “child-safety crisis” with the state’s children dying at an alarming rate even when they have contact with state and local authorities.
Tuesday night’s gubernatorial and U.S. Senate debates preceed November election
Area GOP leaders attended major gubernatorial, senate debates in Perry
Albany volunteers man phones for Senate candidate Michelle Nunn
Senatorial candidate Michelle Nunn has opened a campaign field office in Albany.
Early voting for Nov. 4 election starts Oct. 13
Persons who want to vote in the Nov. 4 general election must register by Monday.
Elections officials choose not to OK Sunday ballots during early voting
A Dougherty County Commissioner wants the county Elections Board to reassess its decision not to allow Sunday voting.
- Capitol Votes -- Jan. 16-22, 2015
- Founding Fathers got started as Sons of Liberty
- Southwest Georgia congressional delegation reacts to State of the Union speech
- Capitol Votes by Georgia delegation -- week ending Jan. 8, 2015
- Capitol Votes: Nov. 14-20, 2014
- Ga. lawmakers press forward on medical marijuana
- Capitol Votes week ending Nov. 13, 2014 (UPDATED WITH FRIDAY KEYSTONE VOTES)
- Republicans win big in Georgia congressional, state officer elections
- Education funding, criminal justice reform focuses of Gov. Nathan Deal in second term
- David Perdue's anti-Obama strategy pays off with win
Southwest Georgia government news from The Albany Herald Newspaper in Albany, Ga. and albanyherald.com
- Changes under way at Grand Island Golf Club in Lee County
- Utility initiatives adding to Albany's bottom line
- Hugh Mills Stadium upgrade to include artificial turf
- Dougherty County commissioners to take closer look at drug fund usage
- Dougherty County Commission to consider greenspace master plan
- Albany and Dougherty County Police/Fire/EMS reports: Feb. 21-23, 2015
- Albany Area Chamber of Commerce delegation to visit Georgia Capitol
- Dougherty County leaders plan for employee pay raises
- Albany leaders have one eye on 2015, the other on 2018
- Albany officials ready to tackle downtown
Albany and Southwest Georgia Education News
- Deerfield-Windsor's Steven Feng is named Dougherty County's Star Student for 2015
- Dougherty County School System announces Teacher of the Year candidates
- Dougherty County School Board approves 2 percent raise for staff
- Albany City Commission OKs child care facility ordinance
- Flint River inspires Steven Landis' concerto 'Thronateeska'
- Albany's combined high school choruses strike a high note at Shiloh Missionary Baptist Church | VIDEO
- Albany-Southwest Georgia Education Notebook - Feb. 23, 2015
- Combined choruses of six Albany high schools to perform in black history concert
- Renovations, new construction and technology top Dougherty, Lee school systems plans for 2015
- Sherwood Christian Academy, Deerfield-Windsor School are in the midst of major construction projects
- Is the city set to kill the multimodal project? 1 comment
- Commissioners bid adieu to the mayor in their own unique fashion 3 comments
- Prohibition by abstention?
- Now the fun begins 2 comments