OPINION: Politicians can’t skimp on funding first responders
When it’s budget time, politicians curry favor with a simple mantra: Cut spending, cut spending, cut spending.
OUTDOORS: My stint as a floating waterfowler was short for a couple of pretty good reasons
If “poor planning” was a dictionary entry, my picture would appear alongside the definition. I had to learn the hard way that self-defense shooting of big old alligators with No. 6 shotgun pellets only makes them angry and big old water moccasins are difficult to hit when one’s little old float tube is spinning in the current like a (no pun intended) duck feather in a storm drain.
HEALTH & FITNESS: Sleep requirements vary by individual, but getting enough for you is important
Eating and drinking late, along with late-night use of TV and electronic devices, can cause problems when trying to get a good night’s sleep.
HISTORY: See what was making news in Albany and Southwest Georgia in autumn months of 1899
The tin roof of the courthouse got a new coat of paint and Crow Country Corn Whiskey was available for 75 cents per quart at the local drug store.
THE OLD ROCKER: Top picks range from the Stones to Tony Orlando
There’s one thing for certain about those of us who love rock ‘n’ roll. Our tastes vary as much in music as they do in food, clothes and TV programs. Preferences vary from Doo-Wop to Rockabilly to British Invasion to Motown.
OPINION: Imagining the Obama approach to World War II
Would America have gotten involved, or sit back to see how things would develop?
OPINION: Turns out the Islamic State’s best recruiting tool is indeed savagery — its own
As for the short run, the Islamic State knows it will be pounded from the air. But it deems that price worth paying, given its gains in propaganda and prestige — translated into renown and recruiting — from these public executions.
Pick up a copy of The Albany Herald to find out about the Bright Side of life.
OPINION:Who has a lesser sense of humor -- liberal weenies or Bible thumpers?
I consider getting a rise out of the humor-impaired as a positive. I know I positively enjoy jerking their chains.
OPINION: President made right call to send troops, money to Liberia
Ebola is killing people every day. It threatens our well-being and demands a rapid response.
OPINION: Many Americans have forgotten what it means to be an American
Since the turbulent ’60s, some Americans have chosen to ignore, even oppose, values taught to their forebears. These tenets begin with personal responsibility and accountability, hard work, capitalism, self-reliance, faith in God and patriotism.
Pick up a copy of The Albany Herald to find out what everybody’s squawking about.
President Obama is adamant that the war against the Islamic State will not escalate to the use of U.S. ground troops. But the more I see and hear of his strategy, the more I fear that “mission creep” — even if the president resists it — is baked in from the start.
FAITH: How many children are hungry in Albany, Ga.?
Love children. Hug children. Laugh with children. Play with children. Protect children. Teach children. Defend children. Pray for and with children.
OPINION: Now the president is delaying action on immigration to protect Democratic candidates
President Obama says he will wait until after the November election to take executive action on immigration reform, a move designed to protect Democratic office candidates.
- Shiloh Baptist Church deserving of recognition
- Thumbs Up! Sept. 15, 2014
- Strong action needed now against ISIL
- Truett Cathy succeeded by doing it his way
- America must stand tall and stand together
- The Internet an asset that can devour
- Thumbs Up! Sept. 1, 2014
- A welcomed pause in the violence
- Thumbs Up! August 25, 2014
- ISIL's threat to America a real one
Letters to the Editor
- JAMES RODGERS: Taking name, number of witness too much trouble for police
- GAIL G. BELL: God is speaking but few are listening
- JOHN MCRAE: Georgia Second District is still without representative on state school board
- BETTY NEW: Proclamation honoring Alice Coachman Davis applauded
- B.J. GOODRUM: Insurance commissioner no help with complaint
- WALT SPECHT: Punish gun violators more severely
- WALT SPECHT: Traffic laws were written to be enforced
- WARREN D. GRANT: Businesses that forbid guns should assure safety
- TODD HANNON: GICAA serving private school needs
- AARON LOVETT: Congress ignores obligation to notch babies
- CARLTON FLETCHER: Emergency personnel are true super heroes
- BOB KORNEGAY: The woes of duck floating
- MARY GANZEL: Good sleep an important part of good health
- MARY BRASWELL: Looking Back at South Georgia news in the fall of 1899 | QUIZ
- BARRY LEVINE: Music tastes vary for Albanians
- TOM PURCELL: Obama learns of Pearl Harbor
- CHARLES KRAUTHAMMER: The jihadi logic
- DICK YARBROUGH: Looking for positives in a negative world | POLL
- STEVE & COKIE ROBERTS: Mutations with a malign mission
- CAL THOMAS: Why do Americans hate America?
- BLOG: Despite lack of skilled manufacturing in U.S., Apple to make new Mac line here
- Discretionary tax fund 'list' a must for local leaders 1 comment
- Is the city set to kill the multimodal project? 1 comment
- Commissioners bid adieu to the mayor in their own unique fashion 3 comments
- Wealth gap growing between Congressmen and constituents? Not in SOWEGA, at least not on paper
- First election prediction? There will be a runoff
- Voting: That was easy
- Edwards' little tax problem 2 comments