Two weeks after the press partied hearty with President Barack Obama at the White House Correspondents’ Association dinner, the administration admitted that federal authorities had secretly combed through phone records for dozens of Associated Press journalists.
Breaking news: Conservative organizations suddenly have found common cause with one of their favorite objects of contempt — the benighted Mainstream Media.
We, the parents of the Dougherty County School System have been asleep too long. We have allowed our children’s education to dwindle and lie in ruins. We have stood on the sidelines and allowed this to happen. We are yet again faced with school administration changes, and ineffective teachers influencing our children’s education. We are a school system in turmoil and yet to be stabilized.
Thumbs Up! is a weekly editorial that focuses on positive things going on in metro Albany.
There is a little something I’d like to address that’s been bugging me for quite some time — practically all of my life, if I really think about it.
A Sept. 28, 2012 Albany Herald report, using information provided by the Dougherty County Tax office, showed that 24 percent of Dougherty County’s gross tax digest is owned by nonprofits and, therefore, is non-taxable.
Note to GOP re Benghazi: Stop calling it Watergate, Iran-contra, bigger than both, etc. First, it might well be, but we don’t know. History will judge. Second, overhyping will only diminish the importance of the scandal if it doesn’t meet presidency-breaking standards. Third, focusing on the political effects simply plays into the hands of Democrats desperately claiming that this is nothing but partisan politics.
Regardless of your opinion of the ongoing battle between Phoebe Putney Health System and the Federal Trade Commission over the fate of Phoebe North (the former Palmyra Medical Center), the uncertainty surrounding the issue is a hindrance to economic development in the metro Albany area.
Letter to the Editor
In a letter to the editor, James King of Albany says that a writer offers history of slave trading.
Letter to the Editor
In a letter to the editor, Warren D. Grant of Albany says that American children are too pampered.
Letter to the Editor
In a letter to the editor, Duane "Banjo" Davis of Pelham says that Christianity is no threat to the U.S. military.
This weekend and next are life changing for a number of Southwest Georgians.
Can President Barack Obama put out the brush fires that are sucking the air out of his second-term agenda? Can he stop the spread of mini-scandals that are consuming Washington?
Each week Albany Herald researcher Mary Braswell looks for interesting events, places and people from the past. You can contact her at (229) 888-9371 or email@example.com.
Pick up a copy of today's Albany Herald to read more Bright Side comments.
- Phipps excellent choice for chief judge
- Thumbs Up - May 20, 2013
- Battle over Phoebe North stalling growth 5 comments
- Education makes difference in life 2 comments
- DCSS showing signs of progress 7 comments
- IRS profiled Tea Party, conservatives 12 comments
- Thumbs Up! - May 13, 2013
- The numbers are in for America’s moms
- Hot cars are no place for children
- Paula Deen museum cooks up exciting possibilities 16 comments
Letters to the Editor
- Writer offers history of slave trading 2 comments
- American children are too pampered
- Christianity no threat to the U.S. military 7 comments
- No free rides for cosmetologists
- Education coverage needs balance 1 comment
- Frantz family offers thanks
- Volunteers impact the community
- Who supported the Boston bombers? 1 comment
- Gun bill defeat a win for big business 24 comments
- Failed gun law would have been ineffective 1 comment
- Tyranny is no longer ‘lurking’ just around the corner
- Wimps take on the barbarians
- High school uniforms a lesson in control theory 4 comments
- Common man’s buying guide
- Fredericksburg makes you feel at home
- Someone’s asking for an IRS audit 4 comments
- Immigration fight moves to house with deep divide
- Higher learning and the college mind 2 comments
- What is going on with democracy in this country?
- Some whistle-blowers have lost their nerve 1 comment
- BLOG: Despite lack of skilled manufacturing in U.S., Apple to make new Mac line here
- Discretionary tax fund 'list' a must for local leaders 1 comment
- Is the city set to kill the multimodal project? 1 comment
- Commissioners bid adieu to the mayor in their own unique fashion 3 comments
- Wealth gap growing between Congressmen and constituents? Not in SOWEGA, at least not on paper
- First election prediction? There will be a runoff
- Voting: That was easy
- Edwards' little tax problem 2 comments