OLD ROCKER: Alter songs to make lyrics suitable to older generation
Now that I have had a birthday cake with 70 candles — that’s right, 70 — on it, the time has come to rename some of my favorite rock songs to make them more suitable to somebody in my age bracket.
Pick up a copy of The Albany Herald to find out about the Bright Side of life.
Pick up a copy of The Albany Herald to see what everyone is squawking about!
OPINION: The scientific consensus is that genetically modified organisms are safe to consume
The National Academy of Sciences, the American Medical Association, the American Association for the Advancement of Science and the World Health Organization have concluded that GMOs are safe to eat. This scientific consensus is at least as strong as the one on human-caused climate change.
OPINION: Trade deal splits president and Democratic lawmakers
For months the Democrats’ fight over the Trans-Pacific Partnership trade deal relied on abstract scaremongering. Then populists began turning to contorted procedural objections. Now, apparently, President Obama is not just undemocratic; he’s a bigot, too.
HISTORY: In May 1906, Albany was home to a new steam laundry service
In 1906, the Albany Daily Herald was the official organ of the City of Albany, Baker County, Dougherty County and the Railroad Commission of Georgia for the Second Congressional District.
FEATURES COLUMN: A little reminder that mama loves you
It started in preschool, before you could even read. The little something extra. I’d put stickers on the inside of the lid so as soon as you opened your lunch box you would know I was thinking about you.
HEALTH AND FITNESS: Sitting disease sounds silly but has serious health risks
Sedentary living has been shown by researchers to play a significant role in many of the most troublesome health issues of our time, from obesity and heart disease to diabetes to depression.
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Albany residents should appreciate this unique asset
I was thrilled this past weekend upon taking a tour of “Old Beautiful Albany” (2nd-7th avenues west of Jefferson, basically) to see the beautiful oak tree canopies on many streets in the area and for many blocks.
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Climate change is real and effects may be devastating
The question is not whether climate change is happening. The question is how badly it will impact people’s lives.
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: What special deals and benefits are officials and their relatives getting?
I often wonder what politicians don’t want the voters to know. With enough research, it probably could be found out, but which voters put in that kind of research?
OPINION: The politics of trade are muddled
The fascinating thing about the GOP’s Fear Caucus is that they are the first ones to proclaim the glories of “American Exceptionalism” and denounce Democrats like President Obama for insufficient pride in their country’s virtues. These scaredy-cats routinely brand liberals as part of a “Hate America First” crowd.
OPINION: Congratulations on surviving another year in the classroo
As you take a moment to catch your breath and enjoy a brief respite before you start the process all over again, I hope you will reflect on the good you do; the impact you have on young people; your ability to make a difference. Yours isn’t a job. It is a calling.
Attorney General Loretta Lynch has announced a Justice Department investigation to determine whether the Baltimore Police Department’s practices are unconstitutional and violate civil rights; in short, whether or not the police force there is racist.
FAITH COLUMNIST: The debate over the meaning of history will never end
One age’s heroes are another era’s goats; villains become sainted and vice versa, frustrating some and inspiring others.
- EDITORIAL: Albany city manager selection was transparent process
- EDITORIAL: A debt America can never repay
- Thumbs Up! May 18, 2015
- EDITORIAL: Long wait for Albany State University students will soon be over
- Thumbs Up! April 27, 2015
- EDITORIAL: The American flag continues to fly high despite desecration by protesters
- Thumbs Up! April 20, 2015
- Thumbs Up! April 6, 2015
- Thumbs Up - March 30, 2015
- EDITORIAL: Senate trying to fix a problem that does not exist
Letters to the Editor
- B.J. FLETCHER: Let's move Albany forward
- JOHN BRYANT: Albany 311 call center provides helpful information
- BILL BATES: For downtown Albany, build on what is here
- PETE KUNTZ: Data supports climate change concerns
- ROGER MARIETTA: Female Albany police leaders commended
- JARI HAGOOD: Albany's oak canopies are majestic
- JUDY WEISS: T. Gamble rambles into climate bramble
- WALT SPECHT: Keeping voters in the dark
- TOM HOLODAK: Albany thanked for care, prayers after wife's injury
- WALT SPECHT: Americans' values have changed for the worse
- DANNY TYREE: Singing those graduation blues
- DICK YARBROUGH: Georgia teachers weigh in on future of education
- CAL THOMAS: No Memorial Day for inner-city dead
- CARLTON FLETCHER: Shawn Mendes wows teen, tween crowd at Wild Adventures
- MICHAEL REAGAN: Conservative Christians miscount
- CREEDE HINSHAW: Cemeteries are filled with the forgotten
- T. GAMBLE: A large order of no-fault fries, please
- CARLTON FLETCHER: Misinformation hinders Albany's growth
- MICHAEL GERSON: Shifting role of religious conservatives
- RONDA RICH: Jim Lofton one of the great ones
- BLOG: Despite lack of skilled manufacturing in U.S., Apple to make new Mac line here
- Discretionary tax fund 'list' a must for local leaders 1 comment
- Is the city set to kill the multimodal project? 1 comment
- Commissioners bid adieu to the mayor in their own unique fashion 3 comments
- Wealth gap growing between Congressmen and constituents? Not in SOWEGA, at least not on paper
- First election prediction? There will be a runoff
- Voting: That was easy
- Edwards' little tax problem 2 comments