Top Sports stories
Less desirable trees can be removed to allow more sunlight to reach the forest floor
In the South, the most stressful time of the year for most wildlife is late summer through early fall.
Freddie Freeman and Justin Upton each finished with three hits and Ervin Santana pitched seven strong innings as visiting Atlanta held on to improve to 7-1 on its current nine-game road trip.
Aaron Harang’s unlikely career revival continued Friday night, when the right-hander threw seven no-hit innings before Luis Avilan surrendered the New York Mets’ only hit of the night in the eighth inning of a 6-0 win at Citi Field.
Former Groves coach will lead Dougherty High pending background check
Ty Randolph, who played two years for the Harlem Globetrotters and recently worked in player development at the NBA level, will be the new Dougherty High boys basketball coach pending a background check.
OUTDOORS: Ghosts of battles haunt areas of natures beauty
Nature and history are often intertwined.
FISHING REPORT: A weekly summary of how fish are biting in Southwest Georgia lakes and the Flint River
Fishing prospects at Lake Seminole and the Flint River are upgraded to good this week; still fair at lakes George and Blackshear.
Baseball standout Hayes signs with Savannah State; Bell, Yarbrough, Kendrick sign with junior colleges
Chris Hayes was one of four Lee County High School signees who inked a college scholarship Friday morning in the school media center.
The Braves and Phillies combined for just nine hits Thursday, and Philadelphia finally broke the 0-0 tie in the eighth inning for the game's only run.
It was all Terrell County Thursday in Camilla, where the Greenwave boys and girls track & field teams blew away the competition for Region 1-A championships. (ADDS: Complete team and individual results)
Westover sweeps the Region 1-AAAA track & field meet for the second straight year
The Westover boys and girls pull away late from Monroe to capture Region 1-AAAA track & field titles, while the Bainbridge boys flex their muscles in the Region 1-AAAAA meet. (ADDS: Complete meet results)
Darton State improves to 32-13 overall and 22-4 in the region
Darton wins its 15th straight game and moves within a game of the school record for consecutive victories with a 12-4 rout of ABAC.
Julio Teheran throws his first career shutout Wednesday to beat Philadelphia and extend the Braves' winning streak to five.
Braves hitting coach Greg Walker said he wanted Chris Johnson to “get the fight back between him and the pitcher” instead of fighting himself.
Both boys and girls Deerfield teams win GISA Region 3-AAA titles
The Lady Knights used Tarah Young’s 17.5 points to run away with the region title, while Chapman Ivey paced the Knights to a championship.
- Dougherty to name former Harlem Globetrotter Randolph as hoops coach
- Four Lee County standouts sign college scholarships
- Terrell County runs away with Region 1-A track & field titles
- Westover sweeps Region 1-AAAA meet; Bainbridge boys take 1-AAAAA title
- Deerfield-Windsor track & field teams roll to region titles
- Three SW Georgia schools ask GHSA to reconsider classification
- Glover’s big game leads Deerfield past Southland
- Monroe girls, Westover boys take Westover Relays
- O'Neal leading Patriots into Westover Relays
- PREP NOTEBOOK: Miller County's Killingsworth ponders next move after resignation
- BRAVES NOTEBOOK: Harang emerging as essential pitcher for Atlanta
- Phillies' Burnett outduels Braves' Wood for 1-0 victory
- BRAVES NOTEBOOK: Johnson back in lineup, moved to seventh spot
- BRAVES NOTEBOOK: Pitcher Santana making the most of his opportunity
- Autopsy reveals cause of death of Ultimate Warrior
- Koonin to become part-owner, CEO of Hawks
- Simple approach pays off for J. Upton
- Braves sweep Nationals with 10-2 victory
- Braves’ bullpen experiencing growing pains
- Braves believe offense will improve
- Darton baseball crushes ABAC for 15th straight win
- COLLEGE ROUNDUP: Darton baseball, softball keep winning streaks alive
- Cavs win district title, punch ticket to nationals
- Darton golf close to 13th straight nationals berth
- Albany State baseball finishes SIAC slate unbeaten
- Ware will transfer to Georgia State
- LOCAL COLLEGE ROUNDUP: Albany State baseball sweeps Paine
- Darton wins 13th straight of season
- Former Southwest Georgia prep stars leading Albany State baseball
- COLLEGE ROUNDUP: Darton softball returns from break, sweeps South Georgia