Top Sports stories
The Herald previews boys basketball teams from Bainbridge, Lee County, Americus-Sumter, Crisp County, Dougherty, Monroe, Albany High, Terrell County, Westover, Worth County, Early County, Pelham, Baker County, Calhoun County, Miller County, Mitchell County, Randolph-Clay and Seminole County.
The Herald previews girls basketball teams from Bainbridge, Lee County, Americus-Sumter, Crisp County, Dougherty, Monroe, Albany High, Terrell County, Westover, Worth County, Early County, Pelham, Baker County, Calhoun County, Miller County, Mitchell County, Randolph-Clay and Seminole County.
The Herald previews boys basketball teams from Deerfield-Windsor, Southland, Sherwood Christian, Southwest Georgia Academy, Terrell Academy, Westwood and Crisp Academy.
The Herald previews girls basketball teams from Deerfield-Windsor, Southland, Sherwood Christian, Southwest Georgia Academy, Terrell Academy, Westwood and Crisp Academy.
Westover's boys, girls hoops teams sweep Terrell County
The Westover boys basketball team rode a big second quarter run to an easy 91-52 victory Saturday night at home against the Terrell County Greenwave.
Westwood Lady Wildcats upset Crisp Academy in Cordele
Westwood, the defending GISA Class AA state champs, hadn’t beaten powerhouse Crisp Academy in coach Jenni Smith’s seven years as head coach, but on Friday Westwood snapped that streak with a 42-39 victory. (ADDS: Results from Seminole boys, Deerfield-Windsor girls, Sherwood boys and girls, Bainbridge boys, Worth County boys and Lee County girls)
Tre Mason rushed for an SEC Championship-record 303 yards and four touchdowns as Auburn completed its turnaround from going winless in conference play a year ago to winning the Southeastern Conference title.
Florida State shakes off a sluggish start to win the ACC championship and clinch a berth in the BCS national championship game.
Rams beat AUM and lost to Saint Leo
After a dissapointing loss Wednesday to Carver College, the Albany State men’s basketball team bounced back Friday with a win against Auburn University at Montgomery but slipped up again Saturday in a loss to Saint Leo University.
The Falcons are not in the playoff picture but are looking for their first back-to-back victories in a season gone wrong.
The Westover girls basketball team stayed undefeated Friday with a thrilling double-overtime victory against Tift County. (ADDS: Randolph-Clay; Worth County vs. Americus-Sumter; Calhoun County vs. Mitchell County; Byne Christian)
While the Dougherty girls got an easy win early Friday against Cairo, the Dougherty boys team came up short in overtime, 56-54.
Crisp County's Javoris Cooks puts an end to a back-and-forth game against Monroe on Friday night with a game-winning shot in overtime. (ADDS: Monroe girls beat Crisp)
Surprise SEC title matchup features Auburn, Missouri
The final weekend of the SEC’s regular-season produced one of the most unlikely match-ups for the conference title game since the league split into two divisions in 1992.
- PREP BASKETBALL ROUNDUP: Westwood girls beat Crisp in battle of state champs
- PREP HOOPS PREVIEW: GISA girls preview capsules
- PREP HOOPS PREVIEW: GISA boys preview capsules
- PREP HOOPS PREVIEW: GHSA girls preview capsules
- PREP HOOPS PREVIEW: GHSA boys preview capsules
- PREP HOOPS PREVIEW: Dougherty County teams hoping state title drought ends this season
- FRIDAY'S PREP BASKETBALL ROUNDUP:Westover girls survive double-OT thriller
- Crisp County's Cooks hits game-winner to beat Monroe in OT
- Georgia coach Mark Richt visits Westover with eyes on DT Trent Thompson
- TUESDAY'S PREP HOOPS ROUNDUP: Ward's game-winner lifts Dougherty over Crisp
- PREVIEW: Falcons prepare for Rodgers-less Packers
- Daring rookie Alford getting turnovers for Falcons
- Hawks begin important homestand
- Falcons preparing for Packers QB Rodgers
- Falcons hope to take battling spirit to Green Bay
- Forced fumbles help Falcons fly by Bills in overtime
- PREVIEW: Falcons looking to snap five-game skid
- Korver’s 3-point streak on hold with rib injury
- Weatherspoon asking Falcons’ defense to step up
- Duluth's Brian McCann agrees to $85M deal with Yankees
- Auburn runs past Missouri in SEC title game
- LOCAL COLLEGE HOOPS ROUNDUP: ASU men split weekend basketball games
- Westover boys, girls rout Terrell County
- PREVIEW: Surprise SEC title matchup features Auburn, Missouri
- Four Darton soccer players named All-Americans
- Auburn coach Malzahn took backroads to Atlanta
- Georgia AD McGarity reflects on football season
- FSU’s Winston not charged with sexual assault
- Albany State loses late lead, falls to Carver
- Auburn’s defense ready for Missouri’s challenge