Top Sports stories
It was all Terrell County Thursday in Camilla, where the Greenwave boys and girls track & field teams blew away the competition for Region 1-A championships. (ADDS: Complete team and individual results)
Darton State improves to 32-13 overall and 22-4 in the region
Darton wins its 15th straight game and moves within a game of the school record for consecutive victories with a 12-4 rout of ABAC.
The Braves and Phillies combined for just nine hits Thursday, and Philadelphia finally broke the 0-0 tie in the eighth inning for the game's only run.
Baseball standout Hayes signs with Savannah State; Bell, Yarbrough, Kendrick sign with junior colleges
Chris Hayes was one of four Lee County High School signees who inked a college scholarship Friday morning in the school media center.
Julio Teheran throws his first career shutout Wednesday to beat Philadelphia and extend the Braves' winning streak to five.
Braves hitting coach Greg Walker said he wanted Chris Johnson to “get the fight back between him and the pitcher” instead of fighting himself.
Both boys and girls Deerfield teams win GISA Region 3-AAA titles
The Lady Knights used Tarah Young’s 17.5 points to run away with the region title, while Chapman Ivey paced the Knights to a championship.
Atlanta has landed a Major League Soccer expansion team that will play beginning in 2017 in the city’s new open-air stadium downtown.
Cavs have won 14 straight, Lady Cavs have won 12 in a row
The Darton baseball and softball teams, who are both ranked in the Top 20 in the NJCAA, extended double-digit winning streaks on Wednesday. (ADDS: Albany State baseball loses to Columus State, Albany State softball splits with Claflin)
Braves pitcher stays hot
Ervin Santana struck out a career-high-tying 11 through six innings of one-run ball before leaving with a 2-1 lead Monday against the Phillies.
Seahawks wide receiver Ricardo Lockette, an Albany native, called 911 twice after a woman refused to leave his apartment where she was hanging out with Lockette and 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick on April 2.
Bubba Watson’s Masters victory was sentimental
Herald guest columnist Loran Smith writes about Bubba Watson’s second Masters championship.
Darton State College shoots a 305 in Tuesday’s final round
Darton comes from behind in Tuesday’s final round of the District IV tournament to win the title and secure a 13th straight trip to nationals.
Representatives made case this week
Dougherty County School Board Attorney Tommy Coleman and representatives from Albany, Dougherty and Worth County High Schools asked the GHSA to reconsider its classification for the three schools for the 2014-16 school seasons.
- Four Lee County standouts sign college scholarships
- Terrell County runs away with Region 1-A track & field titles
- Westover sweeps Region 1-AAAA meet; Bainbridge boys take 1-AAAAA title
- Deerfield-Windsor track & field teams roll to region titles
- Three SW Georgia schools ask GHSA to reconsider classification
- Glover’s big game leads Deerfield past Southland
- Monroe girls, Westover boys take Westover Relays
- O'Neal leading Patriots into Westover Relays
- PREP NOTEBOOK: Miller County's Killingsworth ponders next move after resignation
- Worth County maintains pace, tops Monroe
- Phillies' Burnett outduels Braves' Wood for 1-0 victory
- BRAVES NOTEBOOK: Johnson back in lineup, moved to seventh spot
- BRAVES NOTEBOOK: Pitcher Santana making the most of his opportunity
- Autopsy reveals cause of death of Ultimate Warrior
- Koonin to become part-owner, CEO of Hawks
- Simple approach pays off for J. Upton
- Braves sweep Nationals with 10-2 victory
- Braves’ bullpen experiencing growing pains
- Braves believe offense will improve
- Watson seizes control in second round of Masters
- Darton baseball crushes ABAC for 15th straight win
- COLLEGE ROUNDUP: Darton baseball, softball keep winning streaks alive
- Cavs win district title, punch ticket to nationals
- Darton golf close to 13th straight nationals berth
- Albany State baseball finishes SIAC slate unbeaten
- Ware will transfer to Georgia State
- LOCAL COLLEGE ROUNDUP: Albany State baseball sweeps Paine
- Darton wins 13th straight of season
- Former Southwest Georgia prep stars leading Albany State baseball
- COLLEGE ROUNDUP: Darton softball returns from break, sweeps South Georgia