Top Sports stories
The Lady Eagles lose for the fourth time this season to Randolph-Clay
Thursday’s loss to Randolph-Clay in the Class A state title game was devastating for a Mitchell County team that was looking for the first girls basketball state championship in school history.
After falling in the state championship game last season, Randolph-Clay coach Jennifer Acree said winning this year’s title is sweet
Randolph-Clay coach Jennifer Acree celebrates her first state title by claiming she will drink sweet tea from the championship trophy.
Wilkinson County holds on for 72-64 victory
Turner County nearly erases an 11-point fourth-quarter deficit in Thursday’s Class A boys state championship game but falls to Wilkinson County, 72-64.
The Bulldogs are in sole possession of third place in the SEC standings, but they could dip all the way to fifth with a loss Saturday against LSU.
Mitchell County is 0-3 against Randolph-Clay this season
The Lady Eagles seek to become the first girls basketball team at Mitchell County to win a state championship.
The Lady Red Devils are looking to go 4-0 against Mitchell County this season
After losing to Gordon Lee in last year’s state championship game, the Randolph-Clay girls have a second chance today against familiar rival Mitchell County.
The Wildcats were outscored 43-27 in the second half
The Crisp Academy boys were enjoying their best season in years, but the postseason run ended Wednesday with a loss to Oak Mountain in the GISA Class A state semifinals.
After getting swept by Claflin in the regular season, the Albany State women’s basketball team took care of business in Wednesday’s SIAC quarterfinals with a 68-55 victory over the Lady Panthers. (ADDS: ASU men win opener, too)
Gelfand was Sherwood’s fifth coach in five years
Sherwood boys basketball Bryan Gelfand was suspended two weeks ago for using inappropriate language as he walked off the court following a game, and on Wednesday the school parted ways with him for good.
Coaches expect free throws, turnovers and rebounds to be big in championship game
The Randolph-Clay and Mitchell County girls basketball teams will meet for the fourth time this year in Thursday’s state title game, and head coaches Jennifer Acree and Rosemary Sanders are focusing on the details as they prepare for the matchup.
Tim Hudson is now a Giant after signing with San Francisco following a 2013 season with the Braves when he suffered a season-ending ankle injury on July 24.
Rholetter was a key OL for the Bulldogs from 1966-68
Herald guest columnist Loran Smith writes about former Georgia offensive lineman David Rholetter, who died recently and left behind a legacy that many haven’t heard of.
Darton divers Crawford Berry and Sarah Hoop won NJCAA national titles in 2013
Sophomores Crawford Berry and Sarah Hoop will defend national titles while Darton’s swimmers reach for record times as the Cavs enter the 2014 men’s and women’s NJCAA national championship today.
Darton, Georgia Southwestern can't catch Eastern Florida State in final round of Doublegate Invitational
Host Darton finishes tied for second
Holding a five-shot lead over both Darton and Georgia Southwestern heading into the final 18 holes, Eastern Florida State extended the margin and cruised to a seven-shot victory in the 12-team Doublegate Invitational.
- CHAMPS!!!: Randolph-Clay girls dominate Mitchell County for state title
- Mitchell County's 'special season' ends in heartbreak
- STATE CHAMPIONSHIP NOTEBOOK: Randolph-Clay coach Acree drinks sweet tea from championship cup
- Turner County’s comeback falls just short in boys Class A title game
- STATE CHAMPIONSHIP PREVIEW: Mitchell County girls hoping to make history with first title
- STATE CHAMPIONSHIP PREVIEW: Adversity helped Randolph-Clay girls back to title game
- Oak Mountain ends Crisp Academy's season in GISA Final 4
- Sherwood fires boys basketball coach Bryan Gelfand
- Mitchell County, Randolph-Clay coaches believe small things will determine championship
- Columbia stuns Westover at buzzer in Class AAAA Final 4
- Former Brave Hudson turns to next chapter of his career
- Hawks' defensive struggles early prove costly
- Graham grateful to be back on mound for Braves
- After elbow surgeries, Braves’ Beachy feels good
- Hawks have needs as trade deadline approaches
- Hawks' Millsap has proved himself an All-Star
- City of Albany terminates lease with Panthers (UPDATED: 7:50 p.m.)
- Braves re-sign Freeman, Heyward
- Seahawks rout Broncos for Super Bowl title
- Albany's Ricardo Lockette completing 'life-long dream' by playing in Super Bowl
- Lady Rams advance to conference quarterfinals
- Darton State College divers set to defend national titles
- Darton, Georgia Southwestern can't catch Eastern Florida State in final round of Doublegate Invitational
- LOCAL COLLEGE ROUNDUP: Darton, GSW golf tied for 2nd at Doublegate Invite
- South Georgia Tech downs Darton in region semifinal
- Darton wrestling hoping to make history at nationals
- Lady Cavs advance to Region XVII semifinals
- Albany State gets 'signature win' vs. rival Fort Valley State
- Albany State women clinch East Division title with homecoming win
- LOCAL COLLEGE ROUNDUP: Darton softball sweeps East Georgia